Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of stats as a way to skill tree yourself, so it's okay if you only use a few of your abilities because you skilled specifically for those.

That said, I think if you choose to max a stat that is tied to an RNG, then you should be able to negate the RNG (like putting 4 into spirit when you have an ability that has a spirit/4 chance to do something). So if you want to diversify then you risk each individual spell being less effective or riskier.

I already know Ecco would hate this idea though, since she doesn't want people to min/max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

kaschei posted:

What stakes are you talking about?

Perhaps "stakes" was the wrong word to use, but I more meant that the results from the battles were crucial to determing the overall outcome of the game (besides lynches, the only out-of-battle death all game was Quandary eating merk), and it's kind of lame to make those battle outcomes dependent to such a large degree on random chance, rather than the interactions of more-deterministic player abilities.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

kaschei posted:

What stakes are you talking about?

Well, even though the game was leaning slightly in Jocasta's favour, it came down to one very unlucky battle to murder basically everyone in Qal. That didn't have too much RNG involved, but it still shows a soldiers game is quite swingy.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

King of Bleh posted:

In a game where the stakes are so high, and death is permanent, etc, I really think random chance from RNGs or whatever should play a minimal role.

That's fair, I included a handful of random chance powers because I wanted to still leave some things unknown. I know how goons can be, and making everything too predictable allows them to make too calculated decisions about how to distribute their stats, if that makes sense.

Essentially I really hate it when players min-max, since it's short-sighted and inefficient for the longterm. But if certain measures I'm considering for v1.1 work out, then I won't need to rely so much on RNG'd abilities, necessarily, since there will be enough to discourage mindless min-maxing in the setup itself.

also agreed re: your first point, but it's important to let people feel heard.

Asiina posted:

I already know Ecco would hate this idea though, since she doesn't want people to min/max.

you know me too well

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So when is the next one

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
oh and also last post in the thread for tonight (potentially ever unless the eurogoons have pressing questions):

if I run another one of these again, it wouldn't be for another year at least. But if I did I already know the theme:

The Taming of the Dragon Liceander

All who played this game are welcome to play in the next.

If it ever happens.

Who knows?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm glad to have participated, however briefly, in what seems to be a watershed game.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I'll probably play a couple more random games and then disappear again after that since my mafia stamina isn't what it used to be (the cube mafia signups made me realize I started in on this poo poo nearly a decade ago) but I'd be very honored / pleased to receive another unsolicited invitation in a year should you run that game :)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Ecco helping you with this did give me the motivation to get off my rear end and get one of the GIANT things I'm supposed to be running soon actually off the ground.

So expect something there soonish!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I felt pretty punished for not min maxing my stats

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
(but I didn't read the OP teehee)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Likewise to kob, please keep me in mind for your next game :)

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The only reason I hesitated to min-max my stats was I figured there must be a lot of abilities like "Deal Strength damage, stun your target on a (your strength - their strength)/4 chance"

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There were some abilities like that.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Yeah, I'm already expecting a PM when this theoretical next ecco big game runs.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Haha the Qal scumdoc is a gem. Lord of hats and QPQ loving carried that team from day one, and merk showed up in 5 minute increments to freak out and accomplish nothing.

Favorite line, from Lord of Hats once he's in full "I am Legend" mode at the end:

"It turns out that if people like having you around in the thread, they don't want to lynch you as much!"

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

It's true, thanks for hosting game. Can anyone else say that they dealt damage to someone who died every battle they were in? I mean, people who were in multiple battles.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
you have alot to answer for max..................

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey Pod I missed you too <3

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tommunist posted:

you have alot to answer for max..................

When you're the Princess you gotta break some eggs to make an omelette. I wrote up your situation in a post a few pages back. You can read it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

King of Bleh posted:

Haha the Qal scumdoc is a gem. Lord of hats and QPQ loving carried that team from day one, and merk showed up in 5 minute increments to freak out and accomplish nothing.

Favorite line, from Lord of Hats once he's in full "I am Legend" mode at the end:

"It turns out that if people like having you around in the thread, they don't want to lynch you as much!"

I know you're jaded at the loss, but I'm surprised that you didn't even comprehend what happened this game.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Thanks Ecco and Asiina for the game. I had fun most of the time.

I think the scout role was pretty pointless (and boring). I didn't want to mention I had it, for fear of being targeted by scum, but without revealing it how do you let the thread leader know they should put you in battle with suspected scum?

Although the mafia was enjoyable, the long prelim/battle stretches were very boring if you weren't in battle. I have no proposed solution for that, though.

I think to balance things back to the scum slightly that they should be given more day options that can confuse/hinder town, rather than absolutely everything relying on them getting into battle.

I disagree with your stance on min-maxing Ecco. Having average middle of the road abilities is boring from my perspective. I'd rather be able to max out one ability and be devastatingly good at one thing than mediocre at many (which is how I felt with my battle abilities this game). Nobody wants to be average. You could potentially balance this by counterbalancing abilities, so if I choose to be good at one thing, I have to sacrifice something else. For example, if I want to be good at ranged, I have to sacrifice armour. If I want to be good at defence I have to sacrifice battle strength, etc etc.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

The Ninth Layer posted:

Our town could have been better. We had a lot of players who who were very proud to be doing very little in the game. In a game with confirmed town it's a huge bonus when the town players are actually trying to stand up and play the game, that's what makes people look town

Yeah, the town in the Qal doc should take this to heart. People are even here in the post-game discussion bragging about how great they did after an awful, yet extremely puffed out chest confident the whole game, town performance. The town was horrible on Qal.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

One other thing, because I just saw that TMM wanted to try and throw suspicion on Diqnol by wondering if there was a godfather: One of the first questions I asked my scum team was if such a role existed. I was prepared for that eventuality. Since there was already a chance for my cop to fail if I hadn't allotted my stats correctly, I figured there wouldn't be a godfather role to further gently caress with me, but it was nice to get confirmation.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I personally had my best town game in years, but I realize now how much poo poo posters annoy me and make me want to execute them on principal to the point that it's a huge distraction

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Qal overwhelmingly had the shitpost squad

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Kashuno posted:

Qal overwhelmingly had the shitpost squad

I think you mean cool and hip folk squad.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
you caught me keane :razz:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

merk posted:

I know you're jaded at the loss, but I'm surprised that you didn't even comprehend what happened this game.

I agree you sticking your neck out for scumbuddies was the thing I picked up most when casing you. That said, I'm not sure how many people actually read the case. I'd be willing to bet if your scumbuddies agreed and held the NK, then you claimed you ate it, you would have pulled off my lynch.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I think if this were run again the prelim and battle need to merged into one phase. Too much waiting time and potential for confusion.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Jose Valasquez posted:

I personally had my best town game in years, but I realize now how much poo poo posters annoy me and make me want to execute them on principal to the point that it's a huge distraction

I think you have to be more persuasive. The game was being controlled by the loudest voices.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
This was a great game and I'm amazed qal wasn't routed in a more humiliating manner I guess the justness of our cause sustained us beyond reason even if it didn't secure us victory. Thanks mods and everyone else. to a lesser extent. A significantly lesser extent cos:

merk posted:

Yeah, the town in the Qal doc should take this to heart. People are even here in the post-game discussion bragging about how great they did after an awful, yet extremely puffed out chest confident the whole game, town performance. The town was horrible on Qal.

Everyone was awful in qal. Except hats gg hats.

CCKeane posted:

Also I didn't say fruit WASN'T a culinary term, but if you're calling a tomato a fruit you aren't calling it that in the culinary sense.

FIGHT ME.

Felt like you did at the time I'd forgotten completely and now don't care so I won't fight you sorry. I hope you're not disappointed.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

merk posted:

I think you have to be more persuasive. The game was being controlled by the loudest voices.

I was pretty persuasive in the Sinistral execution :v:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Best feeling in this game for me was whittling down the list of potential scum on our last day, and landing on Chic. My personal spreadsheet slowly came in to focus and seeing her flip scum made my day.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh speaking of personal spreadsheets...

WIFOM Appreciation Station

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And yeah this is probably the most effort ever that I've put into a mafia game. It was awesome after getting d1 lynched in the last big one I played!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Haha, you had your own personal Cpig tab.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Looking back on the game, putting someone in battle was the best way to test their alignment. Either they checked out and you have effectively cleared them, or they die and you don't have to worry anyway. I should have realized I could set up fake claims earlier, that would have helped our scum, maybe.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Like, Cpig being in battle 2 is what essentially sunk Chic at the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Max posted:

One other thing, because I just saw that TMM wanted to try and throw suspicion on Diqnol by wondering if there was a godfather: One of the first questions I asked my scum team was if such a role existed. I was prepared for that eventuality. Since there was already a chance for my cop to fail if I hadn't allotted my stats correctly, I figured there wouldn't be a godfather role to further gently caress with me, but it was nice to get confirmation.
You were allowed two way comms? We weren't :(

• Locked thread