Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
A little bird told me I should join this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Quandary posted:

Games with old players are always cool because they all just shitpost all the time and don't read anyone else's posts.

Quoting this for what I imagine won't be the last time this game.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Quandary posted:

If you would like to apply to be a member of Team Quandary please describe your biggest mistake as a mafia player and the lessons you learned from it.

I'd love to apply, but I've never once made a mistake in a game :madmax:

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
To make the drafting process either, I submit my player stats:

Pros:
* Good With Power Roles
* Not Often Lynched.

Cons:
* :justpost:
* Can't Find Scum For poo poo

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

CCKeane posted:

I flip a coin to decide if I'm going to shitpost or play a for reals real game of mafia.

I do this too but it's one of those trick coins with two heads.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Ecco, are the "4 <stat> = ???" sections in the OP meant to indicate there are secret bonuses for allocating 4 points in a stat?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Max posted:

Please explain in 250 words why I should allow you to be be in my thread.

Explain to me in 250 words why I should want to be in your thread.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Max posted:

New Criteria: Do you like Ham and Pineapple on your pizza?

I will not tell you which one gets you into the pearly gates of my thread and which sends you to the firey hell-depths of Quandary's thread.

Death to the demon Hawaiian Pizza, I'll take my pizza without a bunch of sad, soggy, salt and sugar lumps.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Put me in whichever thread has the most old school mafia players so I can chill and call people idiots with my bros

tia

Iawtp

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Quandary posted:

Each member of my thread was specifically chosen on the basis of "Is This a Cool Person" and also "Would I Hang Out With This Person". So congrats to each of you!!

I am grateful to be in the thread of Cool Persons and not the other thread

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I am extremely happy with my character's epilogue, be-handed as it may have been :shobon: . I also am glad he has a hispanic-ish surname because the name of my OPG, "close the aqueducts", caused me to decide immediately for my headcanon that my character was some sort of ancestor / parallel universe version of my character in Eulogy in Euskara, where my mason group flooded and murdered the majority of players in the game (and then immediately lost): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3349440 .
(Also I blew that OPG wayyyy too early and if I'd saved it for one of the later fights it would've made a HUGE difference, but my role PM lied about it targetting one rank versus the whole battlefield)

Quandary posted:

Hahahaha I love reading the scumdoc and merk wouldn't shut up about the scum having all OPG votes in that either.

Did I NOT loving call this, immediately and repeatedly? I had merk cold this game.

Max posted:

Diqnol ended up giving me a good piece of advice right before he died, which was to start sending the people I suspect to the front lines. This paid dividends, and he really was on TMM from the very start.

This is also something I was pushing on day loving one, and no one listened to me because it was "scummy" :mad: . Qal definitely got attritioned down real bad really quickly by repeatedly losing our towniest players in the frontlines of battle, I think it was our biggest downfall, because then we went into the back half of the game with like 50% shitposters, all of whom were going to obviously get lynched before we ever looked at loving Pollyanna miracle scum LoH (seriously, amazed at how excellent you did as a new player, hat off)

Tremendous Taste posted:

Serious question

Did anyone believe my fake invuln claim

No, but I did seriously believe you were scum when you doubled down and refused to just admit it was a lie/gambit when Atoramos called you on it. Like, okay, lie as town, that's a thing, I get it, but don't get all loving shifty and defensive when you're caught! That's what scum do!!

QuoProQuid posted:

You were usually pretty spot on with your reads. Your problem was that you never posted and that when you did, you never explained your reasoning or made any effort to pursue those cases. It made it really easy to ignore and dismiss you.

Also this

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Ecco I actually think the balance issues aren't as bad as people are making them out to be, since it was mostly symmetric -- the actual players, and player choices, by FAR dominated the outcome of the game in my opinion -- but one comment I'll make is that I think you should aim for less variance in future iterations of this.

Paging through the full set of role PMs, there are a LOT of abilities with % chances to do something really devastating or do nothing at all, this kind of lead directly to situations like VivaNova rolling well on a virtual dice or whatever and repeatedly stunlocking the entire Qal front row, or Quandary rolling unusually poorly on his investigations and getting nothing usable from them while max was in the other thread clearing players every day.

In a game where the stakes are so high, and death is permanent, etc, I really think random chance from RNGs or whatever should play a minimal role.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

kaschei posted:

What stakes are you talking about?

Perhaps "stakes" was the wrong word to use, but I more meant that the results from the battles were crucial to determing the overall outcome of the game (besides lynches, the only out-of-battle death all game was Quandary eating merk), and it's kind of lame to make those battle outcomes dependent to such a large degree on random chance, rather than the interactions of more-deterministic player abilities.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I'll probably play a couple more random games and then disappear again after that since my mafia stamina isn't what it used to be (the cube mafia signups made me realize I started in on this poo poo nearly a decade ago) but I'd be very honored / pleased to receive another unsolicited invitation in a year should you run that game :)

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Haha the Qal scumdoc is a gem. Lord of hats and QPQ loving carried that team from day one, and merk showed up in 5 minute increments to freak out and accomplish nothing.

Favorite line, from Lord of Hats once he's in full "I am Legend" mode at the end:

"It turns out that if people like having you around in the thread, they don't want to lynch you as much!"

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

merk posted:

I know you're jaded at the loss, but I'm surprised that you didn't even comprehend what happened this game.

I think you're confusing which of us got frustrated and emotionally over-invested in this game, I actually had a great time.

e: barring that interminable endgame slog, I do agree that 36-hour nights is too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
This was never in dispute

• Locked thread