Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god I'll sign up, why the hell not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord of Hats posted:

Ready to charge into battle and die horribly!

Hello fellow Gunnerkrigg avatar :v:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tommunist posted:

i wanna fight along side sir podima

You betrayed me in the fascist game though, I am disappointed in my dogbro

DO BETTER THIS GAME

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As I reread this, I do appreciate the fact that the stats and various things are spelled out much more clearly in the OP - in other soldiers games I've read, it seemed like people were unclear on how the battle mechanics worked, whether it was good or bad to have scum in war parties, and stuff like that. Should be a fun game!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

you're bad

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've played a bunch of BSG with him, I'll PM him to see.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Pander is out due to travel :smith:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

CCKeane, Atoninus, TOWN Ruzelian Knight, died from a broken friendship night 0.

If that's not Keane's race/class when the game starts (irrelevant of alignment) I shall be very disappointed.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
TMM and kash as opposing thread rulers IMO

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

I wanna be the very best
Like no one ever was
To catch them is my real test
To lynch them is my cause
I will travel across the thread
Searching far and wide
Each scum team bro to understand
The power that's inside
Mafia! Gotta lynch 'em all! It's you and me
I know it's my destiny,
Mafia! Oh you're my best friend
In a world we must defend
Mafia! A heart so true
Our courage will pull us through,
You teach me and I'll teach you,
Mafia! Gotta lynch ‘em all
Every challenge along the way
With courage I will face.
I will battle every day
To claim my rightful place.
Come with me,
The time is right,
There's no better team.
Arm in arm we'll win the fight!
It's always been our dream!
Mafia! Gotta lynch 'em all! It's you and me
I know it's my destiny,
Mafia! Oh you're my best friend
In a world we must defend
Mafia! A heart so true
Our courage will pull us through,
You teach me and I'll teach you,
Mafia! Gotta lynch 'em all
Gotta lynch 'em all! Mafia!

Same except the Digimon theme song.

:hfive: for using the extended version of that song though

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

Please explain in 250 words why I should allow you to be be in my thread.

Because you should have Kashuno in your thread and not TMM, and I find Kashuno vastly better to interact with. IMO you should also pick Tommunist so that we can lynch each other over our pro wrestling rivalry that shall live in infamy.

Also I like spreadsheets! Fifty words exactly.

Because you should have Kashuno in your thread and not TMM, and I find Kashuno vastly better to interact with. IMO you should also pick Tommunist so that we can lynch each other over our pro wrestling rivalry that shall live in infamy.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:goonsay:

Also I promise more premium-quality snypes like this very one.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

Oh, also, please let me / us know if you are on gods true time zone or some other barbaric area of the world. (EST is the best time)

There are other non-EST time zones? Rubbish.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ham is not like sausage - ham has a lot higher liquid content, so it tends to get kind of soggy on pizzas unless sliced VERY thin. Sausage crisps up.

Also if we're talking about tasty things we've made, this delicious thing came out of my oven this morning:

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-ham-and-cheese-breakfas-43364

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

FINAL PLAYER LIST:

First, the Praetorienne Guard of Princess Jocasta:

Max
14) Kashuno
21) TMMadman

:negative:

Seriously, can you two please keep it in your pants this time around?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You should probably lock the thread to avoid 'got my PM' timing shenanigans?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

Also I have decided to institute ANOTHER SET OF GAME MECHANICS WOW NIFTY

It is a BATTLEFIELD MECHANIC. When Leaders submit their troop formations, they must also submit a BATTLEFIELD on which to fight. Different battlefields provide different, minor boons and damages depending on the location. This is literally exactly the same as in Tao's game (which was [poorly] replicated in busb's).

See Appendix E for further information (in like the 45 minutes it'll take for me to write it)

I was actually wondering if those were being left out of this game when I didn't see them in the OP and remembered them from other soldiers games!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

the only one that matters. E S T

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm very sorry to everyone in Quandary's thread for the brutal insult you just received.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Time zones will be mildly painful.

Visual for reference: http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?pl=1&lid=5101798,21&h=5101798

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tommunist posted:

what i'm saying is its time kashuno suffered for his game

You're a bad dog and bad dogs get the snip!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has Dominoes interacted with this game even a single time besides that initial PM?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS HAVE NOT YET SUBMITTED TO ME THEIR STAT DISTRIBUTIONS:

- fiery_valkyrie
- Doktor Perr
- Dominoes
- Venom Soag
- VivaNova

if they do not submit something by about twelve hours from this post then I will be very sad.

I cannot say who has or hasn't submitted stuff to Asiina yet (despite receiving half of her players' submissions!!! ugh!!)

:siren: Three hours left on this! :siren:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I AM SO PROUD OF YOU PEOPLE IN THE JOCASTA THREAD HOLY poo poo

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

Copping Gwyn was a result of QPQ talking about Shakespeare in Love in a post where he was answering one of my questions. Shakespeare in Love starts Gwynneth Paltrow. This information was coupled with scum essentially telling me that one of them were an advisor to Quandary. I thought we had a lead.

I can type more, but that's a lot to take in, for now.

lmao

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also you'll see this in the deadchat, but I was so angry that I died and couldn't post anymore in the thread! Great job to Birdstrike for carrying my torch.

Max I am honored that you picked me first of all in the draft!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Asiina, you talk about the idea that scum in a soldiers game has to treat the scum role as less of a kill role and more of an annoyance. I know we have somewhat discussed this before, but I think it deserves a more indepth discussion re: night kill strength, healing, and the ability of scum to influence the game.

We have discussed the weakness of the NK in the scum docs, but I'd like a more public discussion of the subject. I understand wholeheartedly that the role of scum in a soldiers game must be to sow as much chaos as possible, but the NK as originally created (and even buffed) really doesn't do that like I think Ecco and Asiina believed. Without an immediate kill, the ability only serves to soft confirm the victim as town. Sure, scum can use it on themselves in order to build town cred, but this is the absolute worst play possible with such a neutered ability (arguably, even worse when it was buffed). At best, it bought a scum some time out of the limelight and drew a heal that could have been used on a townie instead. However, even at the stronger value, the ability is almost so bad that it actively hurts scum to use. When we discussed it d3 (and part of this was good luck on Max's part) we had 16 players that were either hard or soft cleared as town. By that point, using the NK at all was trash as a tactic because it could not kill, and worse due to a second factor I'd like to discuss.

There were too many heals in this game. By a wide margin. The amount of healing items people had, in addition to healers and the health boosts that came from putting points in stamina (which imo should be completely removed from the setup), scum had very little they could actually do. If a battle went good for Jocasta, for example, our scum team easily had the NK completely invalidated with absolutely no downside to town. Scum had absolutely no agency to sow chaos on their own, and relied entirely on the other town to play properly in order to get ahead. While I believe scum should not be able to end the game without the assistance of the other town, in this setup scum was useless without the other town. It is a delicate balance, and I don't think it was achieved in this game. To be fair, I'm not sure how I would solve it. This put the scum in a very bad position, and it was impossibly hard due to the fact that this was really a race against time, not a game of manipulation.

This is a result of what I believe, is probably the most egregious error in the setup; the ability for the leader, no matter the cost, to have a cop that cannot be disputed. If max found scum, that was it. There was absolutely no discussion that could be had, there was no counter argument to be made; it just was factually impossible to dispute. I wasn't kidding on d3 when I said Jocasta could have just no-lynched from then on and won the game. If Max had just kept throwing the same all town battle party in, and receiving almost full heals upon winning the battle, it was just waiting it out until max copped the remaining players.

Nah

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:v:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Max why didn't you swap me in for your dead advisor? :(

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

I almost did, but was reminded that it takes up a Day action. I chose to get items instead.

I absolutely cannot argue with that.

Max - as much as you might have second-guessed yourself, you were a great thread leader. At almost every point, you were very clearly thinking through all the factors in play (including ones we didn't know about) while trying to balance that with letting the thread's scumhunting play out. I'd love to play a standard mafia game with you sometime!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fits posted:

i should have stuck to my ~gunz~ early game but then i got busy and lazy and dead :rip: but now i have some grand ideas for running a soldiers game, so we'll see if that ever works out

Presign me as co-mod if you do this.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also I was like 60% sure Keane was scum, god dammit. I waffled REALLY HARD over submitting some of my battle targets.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus CHRIST Hats is the rising star of Mafia or something. I think I even commented in the deaddoc about how perfect his avatar is, of all things, for flying under the radar. :golfclap:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Quandary posted:

It's cetainly the most stressful, I'll give you that. Timezones have been loving awful for me given I'm in asia, I regularly woke up at 5 am on deadline days to prep battle actions and get involved with the thread.

Yeah as much as I had to poo poo on you and your thread, props to you for carrying things so well despite the timezone challenges.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah FWIW I was SHOCKED that scum did not actually have abilities that let them steal items.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh speaking of personal spreadsheets...

WIFOM Appreciation Station

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And yeah this is probably the most effort ever that I've put into a mafia game. It was awesome after getting d1 lynched in the last big one I played!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
He told them code words to use in their posts for him to pick up on. Pretty clever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes Dok thank you for sticking around despite drawing grumbles all game! Good luck with your stuff and I hope things improve for you!!

• Locked thread