Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Grozz Nuy posted:

HM: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10 1/4

Shibata is so good he got me to care about an Ishii match

Seconded, this was great fun (and sometimes terrifying) but not quite on the level of the two matches that followed.

Bard Maddox posted:

MOTYC: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. AJ Styles, Wrestle Kingdom 10, 1/4/2016

Nthed, this was an amazing display from two of the best wrestlers in the world. The fact they're both suffering from major back problems makes this even more remarkable.

Bard Maddox posted:

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Wrestle Kingdom 10, 1/4/2016

Nthed, an out-of-this-world display from arguably THE two best wrestlers in the world. The ending sequence/false finishes culminating in Okada FINALLY beating Tanahashi at the Dome was one of the greatest wrestling things I've ever seen, enhanced all the more by the fact I was actually there as it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

MOTYC: Kevin Owens vs. Dean Ambrose - 1/24 WWE Royal Rumble

Seconding, hell of a match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Do not even ask posted:

HM: THE Royal Rumble - 1/24 WWE Royal Rumble

I'll second that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

MOTYC: Sydal/ACH/Kushida vs. The Elite, ROH 14th Anniversary Show, 2/26

Second, if only to somehow commemorate the night that Matt Sydal died.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Naito vs YOSHI-HASHI - New Japan Cup 2016 Night 1

I was kinda shocked at how much I enjoyed that match. YOSHI-HASHI actually had me believing at points he could win it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

5thed, everybody came out of that match looking good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Testekill posted:

HM: Samoa Joe vs Sami Zayn, Two out of Three Falls, NXT TV

Match owned bones and went the entire episode. I was very tempted to give it a MOTYC.

:agreed:

Benne posted:

MOTYC: Mil Muertes vs. Prince Puma vs. Pentagon Jr., Lucha Underground 3/9

:agreed:

Wednesday Night Wars are the best.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

What are the best 5 matches this year because I need to catch up

1. Okada vs Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom 10.

Everything else is (and will be for the rest of the year) vying for a distant number 2 spot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll spit into the wind and say Mil vs Fenix was a HM, but it was a hell of a match regardless and I loved the ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ParanoidInc posted:

this is me but with like the the last 3 matches of WK10 where each one I said "I have no idea how they're going to follow that up"

still the best night of wrestling I've ever seen

It was only when we got to the third to last match when I realized,"Holy poo poo there's not going to be an intermission.... and I don't care let this night last forever!"

So glad I was there live, what an amazing experience.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thauros posted:

MOTYC

Aztec Warfare -Lucha Underground 3/23

Succeeded at being better than the Rumble for a second consecutive year, and I wasn't even much of a fan of this season until last week.

Gonna go with this over HM too because the spectacle of it was enough to eke it over the edge for me. This is the kind of over-the-top nonsense I love from wrestling, but it also managed to further multiple storylines and set up multiple feuds going forward. It was a pretty drat excellent example of booking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

i'd go hm rather than motyc. it was very good, not that good.

I'd say HM for American Alpha vs The Revival too. Great match, but I think it's unlikely to even crack the top three on the show tonight (which is great!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

1000thing the Sami/Nakamura MOTYC nom that will have been made and seconded multiple times by the time I post this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

gently caress candidate, close voting now

If that was a thing we would have done it in the first week of January when Okada and Tanahashi had a six star match. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

HM: Bayley v Asuka, Takeover Dallas

Agreeing with this, loved the ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

HM: Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe, NXT Dallas

Agreed. I think that:

MOTYC: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Sami Zayn
HM: Joe vs Balor
HM: Asuka vs Bayley
HM: American Alpha vs The Revival

is a fair assessment of NXT Takeover Dallas. Great show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Is there a Match Of All Time category, because I seriously don't think I've ever seen anything on the level of Zayn/Nakamura. Anything, anywhere.

Nakamura/AJ at WK10 is great, and Tanahashi/Okada at the same show is the best match I have ever seen live and a stronger contender for the best match I've ever seen in my life.

Not to take anything away from Nakamura/Zayn because that was amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Charlotte vs Sasha vs Becky for the WWE Women's Championship at Wrestlemania 32

With a slightly different ending it would have been a MOTYC.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

HM: Cesaro vs Jericho vs Styles vs Owens, RAW 4/4/16.

Crowd was HOT for this match, and it was very good.

Yeah, uh-huh, yep.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll say HM for KUSHIDA vs. Will Ospreay, though I think it's got the nominations for MOTYC already. Nothing else on the card really topped that, but it was a good show all around and every match was a pretty good watch.

The title match itself fell a little flat with the new guy reveal I though, but it's opened up a range of possible new matches going forward and I loved Naito's promo/actions afterwards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd say HM for Sami/Kevin and HM for AJ/Roman at Payback too, both really good matches that just didn't quite get over that final hurdle to MOTYCs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM to Naito vs Ishii at NJPW Wrestling Dontaku.

It was building really well and they had a great submission sequence going that got wrecked by a badly executed ref-bump, and it took them awhile (for me) to recover the flow of the match. Final stretch was really good though, a hell of a match for both guys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Benne posted:

HM: Sexy Star vs. Mariposa, No Mas match, Lucha Underground 5/4

Just a thoroughly satisfying match.

Agreed, and I loved that the inspiration for her to buckle down and face up to Mariposa came from the despicable Dario Cueto in the first place.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Wow Global War sounds great

Of course it is, I had to miss it :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

WMOTYC: Lethal/Cabana, ROH Global wars

:eyepop:

What happened?

Meltzer posted:

So they were out there having a good match. Cabana was really over with the crowd being it was in Chicago. Taeler Hendrix interfered and Nigel McGuinness and ref Todd Sinclair ejected her and McGuiness dragged her to the back. Cabana had Lethal in the Billy Goat's curse when Hendrix came back out and dragged Sinclair out of the ring. The Bucks came out, seemingly to superkick Hendrix for interfering, but she moved and they nailed Sinclair. But then they nailed Hendrix.

The Bucks had two Bullet Club shirts and gave them to Lethal and Cabana. Then the lights went out. Adam Cole was in the ring with a Bullet Club shirt when they came on and they all superkicked Lethal and Cabana and a million security guards. It was superkicking everyone, including when they were done, Kevin Kelly, Mr. Wrestling III, a camera man and even at the end Mr. Massie (their father) jumped in the ring and they stopped Cole from superkicking him, but then they superkicked him. Tonga & Loa spray painted BC on a table and Loa power bombed a security guard through the table. This was all very reminiscent of an NWO era Nitro show. The crowd kind of booed them and it was designed as a heel turn. They put zip ties on Lethal and Cole kept superkicking him and Cole grabbed the belt clearly teasing the idea that Cole was going after the title next. At another point, after they took out the announcers, Matt got on the headset and pretended to be Jim Ross doing "This man has a family" and "stomping a mudhole" and called Nick "King." So the show ended with a ring and floor with more than a dozen people laid out and the Bucks, Cole, Tonga Loa left standing.

:chanpop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Three American dudes under ROH contract invaded ROH, gently caress Delirious.

I choose to read this as three American dudes had sex with Delirious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tonfa posted:

HM: KUSHIDA vs Kyle O'Reilly, NJPW 5/21

I'd go along with that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

HM: Reigns-Styles for the WWE Championship, WWE Extreme Rules

I agree with this, really loved AJ going crazy with the chair at the end there after so long holding back/trying to take the higher road.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

MOTYC: The Miz vs Cesaro vs Sami Zayn vs Kevin Owens, Extreme Rules 22nd May 2016

Yeah okay and this too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Little late on these but seconding:

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs Ricochet
HM: Matanza vs Cage

Edit:

Also a HM for Will Ospreay vs Taguchi in the final of the Battle of the Super Juniors. I didn't know Taguchi had that kind of performance in him.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 7, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Testekill posted:

HM: Austin Aries vs Shinsuke Nakamura, NXT Takeover: The End

Seconding, if only for the incredible finish.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Joe vs Balor, NXT Takeover: The End

Did exactly as promised, gave a definitive ending to the feud. A little marred by the cameras struggling to work around the cage, but a really good quality match with a great ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still catching up on Dominion, but giving HM nominations to Shibata vs Nagata and Omega vs Elgin. The latter in particular was a glorious clusterfuck of over-the-top American gimmickry.

Edit: MOTYC Okada vs Naito.

Jesus Christ these guys are amazing wrestlers.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 19, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: AJ vs Cena at Money in the Bank 2016.

Just a great match that kinda fell apart at the end due to booking stuff. The two had superb chemistry though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

HM: Money in the Bank Ladder Match - 6/19 WWE Money in the Bank

Yeah I'll go with that, it was a lot of fun and they managed to still find ways to be innovative in a match that has happened so many times now. The ending was too abrupt though, with a little more build it could have worked up to a MOTYC.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I'll give Nakamura/Balor an HM too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Durk Hendrunkqs posted:

NJPW G1 day 1 7/18

HM: Sanada vs Tanahashi

Seconding this one. The ending was excellent and I did not expect it to go that way at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll throw in an HM for Rey Mysterio vs Prince Puma too. Not quite as great as it could have been, but still really good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Naito vs Michael Elgin G1 Climax 2016 Night 4

These two work great together, and they brought the crowd along for a long stretch of near-falls and teased finishes before finishing on exactly the right note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Adding my unnecessary endorsement to the Sami/Owens match at Battleground as a MOTYC. That final sequence with Sami deciding to do what had to be done was fantastic.

• Locked thread