Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Marlins finally make their big move, sign Edwin Jackson to a major league deal

Kill me already

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

For a team needing a middle relief guy, that would seem like a good deal. Marlins going to Marlin, though. He'll be in the rotation before you know it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
It's not like there's much risk involved with EJax, since they can sign him for the league minimum and the Cubs are still stuck paying him $13 million in 2016.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Barry can fix Edwin

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm pretty sure they are going to try and use him as a starter. The team has Jose Fernandez and then a bunch of 4th/5th starters behind him.

I know they are also interested in Doug Fister and Cliff Lee on 1 year deals.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

"MARTY NOBLE, national reporter
Griffey, Kent

No need to explain a vote for Griffey. He could be the first unanimous inductee, but he won't be, which means we can look forward to someone's outside-the-box -- outside-the-universe -- reasoning for omitting Junior.

I'd like to have a loop video of his swing -- it was perfect.

Kent is the Babe Ruth of second basemen. His run production dwarfs that of others at his position. If Kent was defensively deficient, his offense compensated. He loved the game, though his affection for it wasn't as evident as Junior's. But that affection does factor into Kent's candidacy, as does his unyielding style of play. He made himself an acceptable defender and a formidable force in the batter's box.

I almost cast votes for McGriff, Mussina and Wagner. More research and analysis, though, are necessary. And I can't fathom voting for 10 candidates. The Hall is for the elite, not the exceptional. "

I don't know why some of these guys have votes

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

A Griffey/Kent ballot is so hilarious that I'm not even mad

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

WienerDog posted:

Good reads.

dan haren ‏@ithrow88

I had to take Imodium most days I pitched to plug myself up. 💩

dan haren ‏@ithrow88

My only superstition was to make sure I had 2 glasses of wine the night before I pitched. This ties in with the Imodium,

dan haren ‏@ithrow88

I gave up so many homers cause I didn't wanna walk people. That and cause I threw 85 mph meatballs sometimes.

dan haren ‏@ithrow88

My threat to retire didn't quite work last offseason

Lol. I love haren, he was my favorite A when he was here.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

More research and analysis, though, are necessary. Maybe I'll get around to it next year, 'tevs.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
D'Backs are apparently in preliminary talks with Howie Kendrick.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Gonz posted:

Watch them give him something ludicrous like $80M/5 years

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Listen guys, Jeff Kent just loved to play baseball

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Everblight posted:

Good Ol' JR wants to call Pirates games.

I've only got 1 year left on my fan contract to cheer for the Pirates, but I'd sign an extension to post :bahgawd: forever.

gently caress everything else about this lovely off season, if this happens I don't even care. It'd be the god drat best thing ever

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Roasted Donut posted:

gently caress everything else about this lovely off season, if this happens I don't even care. It'd be the god drat best thing ever

This. If only for the occasional "GOOD GAWD ALMIGHTY! GOOD GAWD ALMIGHTY!" walk-off HR calls. Also, "He's broken in half!" and/or possibly "AW SON OF A BITCH!".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I found another super confusing ballot:

CARRIE MUSKAT, Cubs beat reporter (MLB.com)
Bonds, Clemens, Griffey, Raines, Trammell

Did she just forget to vote Piazza?

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
So apparently the "Babe Ruth of second basemen" wasn't good enough to get a vote from Noble in 2014 or 2015. :iiam:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

So apparently the "Babe Ruth of second basemen" wasn't good enough to get a vote from Noble in 2014 or 2015. :iiam:

More research and analysis, though, were necessary.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I found another super confusing ballot:

CARRIE MUSKAT, Cubs beat reporter (MLB.com)
Bonds, Clemens, Griffey, Raines, Trammell

Did she just forget to vote Piazza?

just 10 players in MLB history have hit at least 400 HRs with a .300 career avg while never striking out more than 100 times in a season. that group includes loving Williams, Ruth, Aaron, Vlad Guerrero, and Piazza. You'd think that'd be worth something but I GUESS NOT. gently caress the BBWAA

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

As a Mets fan I can't even begin to tell you how loving dumb this man is, he's been a Mets beat reporter for years and yet never ever mentions Piazza as a vote. MORE RESEARCH NECESSARY

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 5, 2016

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
The best thing Jeff Kent ever did was go on Survivor and then blame Obama when he got voted out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIQGWY0woy0

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Thanks for reminding me about 2002, Kent :argh:

Also the best thing he did was """fall washing his truck"""

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Everblight posted:

Good Ol' JR wants to call Pirates games.

I've only got 1 year left on my fan contract to cheer for the Pirates, but I'd sign an extension to post :bahgawd: forever.
I forgot he was a Pittsburgh sports fan, I think his wife is a Steelers fan is the reason he gives iirc

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Gonz posted:

Seems already dead; Dave Stewart said today he won't part with another draft pick after spending one to sign grienke. Dbacks gonna Dback.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/stewart-dbacks-wont-sacrifice-another-draft-pick-for-free-agent-signing.html

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Capt. Sticl posted:

Seems already dead; Dave Stewart said today he won't part with another draft pick after spending one to sign grienke. Dbacks gonna Dback.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/stewart-dbacks-wont-sacrifice-another-draft-pick-for-free-agent-signing.html

WeTried_IndoorPool.exe

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

N: Dexter Fowler was courtside at the Warriors game tonight

V: Sabes/Evans plz

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The best thing Jeff Kent ever did was go on Survivor and then blame Obama when he got voted out.

I only get $600,000 for free god drat you Obama :argh:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Spoeank posted:

N: Dexter Fowler was courtside at the Warriors game tonight

V: Sabes/Evans plz

It probably wasn't coincidental. He certainly fits the profile of what they need, but I would be fairly surprised if they made three big-money acquisitions in a single offseason.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Haha I was just thinking about that moment. Golden.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
http://youtu.be/pM0BsQLtnm0

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I would like to mention that if OP can make me playing catch with Bagwell happen I would really appreciate it

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

He better put some egg and scallions in that poo poo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Capt. Sticl posted:

Wait, Howie Kendrick was offered a QO and turned it down? lmao

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

If I were Dan Szymwhatever I would refuse to answer to anything except The Digital Dandy now. I would make my wife and children call me that even

He did immediately change his handle on Baseball Think Factory to that.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The best part about this video is that Jeff Kent undershoots the amount of money he made playing baseball by 25 million

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CX9CvLNUMAAU41B.mp4

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CX9CXecUoAA8T7F.mp4

:krad:
Mickey Mantle agrees that batflips own.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

@Joelsherman1
I have learned Paul DePodesta leaving #Mets to run the NFL Cleveland Browns as executive VP, answerable only to team owner/pres.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

@Joelsherman1
I have learned Paul DePodesta leaving #Mets to run the NFL Cleveland Browns as executive VP, answerable only to team owner/pres.

:aaa:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Chris James 2 posted:

@Joelsherman1

:lol:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Cleveland Browns

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
Maybe Billy Beane will take the Miami Dolphins job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

@Joelsherman1

How did DePodesta find a more dysfunctional team than the Mets?

• Locked thread