Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LostCosmonaut posted:

I was reading through a DoE handbook on materials science the other day at work, and it recommended not using flourinated oils in equipment handling tritium because "tritium fluoride evolution may occur".

Tritium fluoride sounds like fun stuff.

:stare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_fluoride_thorium_reactor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The thread title is "Dad Chat" not "Use Words I Don't Understand Chat". I have no idea what the gently caress chemical X blah blah means.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

LingcodKilla posted:

She's letting me buy a 65 inch TV to make me less grumpy.

I saw a 55 inch OLED by LG that was loving mind bending how good it looked. Looked better than the 65 inch OLED next to it. Not sure if it was the smaller size or the curve.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Genocide Tendency posted:

I saw a 55 inch OLED by LG that was loving mind bending how good it looked. Looked better than the 65 inch OLED next to it. Not sure if it was the smaller size or the curve.

I'm leaning towards a
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65...cat333800050003

It's got similiar specs to the nearly identical Vizio but its $50 cheaper.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-6...cat333800050003

Our sofa is kinda far back from the TV.

That's a 40 inch on the wall.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

That was a legit good toss by May.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

watching the first part now

its so good

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

watching the first part now

its so good

Part 2 is legit better. James May has a killer piece of feedback to someone in part 2. I'm still laughing about it. His delivery was perfect.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

starting part 2 now

im very happy they're still doing specials

also jfc the map of the path they took in the desert

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

holocaust bloopers posted:

Part 2 is legit better. James May has a killer piece of feedback to someone in part 2. I'm still laughing about it. His delivery was perfect.

Per the IMDB Trivia track, which comes from the Grand Tour script writer, James actually had his buggy brought back to Britain and had it fully rebuilt.

It is possibly the best special they've ever done with the pure suspense throughout both parts, intermingled with bits making me scream laughter at the TV screen. loving hell.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i still think the one in south america was the best but this was really good too

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Got back from Colorado yesterday morning on a red eye and a miserable drive back from Philadelphia.

Posted on Christmas Eve, woke up with a sinus infection on Christmas morning and the GF and I were basically sick the rest of the trip. Thankfully still have three days to clear the remnants out before I have to go back to work. That said still completed the following:

-RMNP (Thanks for the Tuesday rec The Rat, ended up being really nice out)
-Red Rocks (Twice, went again Thursday afternoon while killing time waiting for flight)
-Garden of the Gods
-Mt Lookout
-Behind the Scenes at the Denver Performing Arts Center
-Explored enough that I basically have the lay of the land between Colorado Springs and Boulder

Ate at the following fine establishments:
-Tamayo
-Denver Biscuit Company (S Broadway)
-Red Square
-Sassafras (Highlands)
-Doug's Day Diner (Boulder)
-Snooze (Union Square)
-Watercourse (Vegetarian, still delicious)
-Spicy Basil (Thai delivery first night)
-El Taco De Mexico (7th and Santa Fe)
-(e) Vine Street Brewery - BLT and a very good Red that I can't remmber the name of right now. FYIPA was pretty good as well.

And I still lost 7 pounds while I was out there. Enjoyed every single place that I went to and I ate a helluva lot. Denver Biscuit Company was probably my favorite. Biscuits and gravy and a Hot Toddy when I needed it most.

A challenging, but fun overall trip.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 31, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://m.imgur.com/CiXsqMS?r

Video

https://oddshot.tv/shot/Uzqca3xmca1FrLoqGZNbZHKB

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The co-main was also hilarious and good.

I mean, more good than Rousey-Nunes was hilarious, but yeah...

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
6 hour flight back to Washington and I'm in the middle seat next to an obese woman spilling into my seat

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Start mooing periodically.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

jesus loving christ she got wrecked

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LostCosmonaut posted:

Tritium fluoride sounds like fun stuff.

It eats your bones and and turns them a nice fluorescent green :catdrugs:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

It eats your bones and and turns them a nice fluorescent green :catdrugs:

Chlorine Trifluoride is what real gangsters use

From the FOOF thread (which you really should read, located here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602006)

quote:

In a comment to my post on putting out fires last week, one commenter mentioned the utility of the good old sand bucket, and wondered if there was anything that would go on to set the sand on fire. Thanks to a note from reader Robert L., I can report that there is indeed such a reagent: chlorine trifluoride .

I have not encountered this fine substance myself, but reading up on its properties immediately gives it a spot on my “no way, no how” list. Let's put it this way: during World War II, the Germans were very interested in using it in self-igniting flamethrowers, but found it too nasty to work with. It is apparently about the most vigorous fluorinating agent known, and is much more difficult to handle than fluorine gas. That’s one of those statements you don’t get to hear very often, and it should be enough to make any sensible chemist turn around smartly and head down the hall in the other direction.

The compound also a stronger oxidizing agent than oxygen itself, which also puts it into rare territory. That means that it can potentially go on to “burn” things that you would normally consider already burnt to hell and gone, and a practical consequence of that is that it’ll start roaring reactions with things like bricks and asbestos tile. It’s been used in the semiconductor industry to clean oxides off of surfaces, at which activity it no doubt excels.

quote:

”It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals-steel, copper, aluminium, etc.-because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminium keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.”

Seriously you need to read that thread - it and Let's Talk About Idiots are two of the best threads these forums have ever seen.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Got back from Colorado yesterday morning on a red eye and a miserable drive back from Philadelphia.

Posted on Christmas Eve, woke up with a sinus infection on Christmas morning and the GF and I were basically sick the rest of the trip. Thankfully still have three days to clear the remnants out before I have to go back to work. That said still completed the following:

-RMNP (Thanks for the Tuesday rec The Rat, ended up being really nice out)
-Red Rocks (Twice, went again Thursday afternoon while killing time waiting for flight)
-Garden of the Gods
-Mt Lookout
-Behind the Scenes at the Denver Performing Arts Center
-Explored enough that I basically have the lay of the land between Colorado Springs and Boulder

Ate at the following fine establishments:
-Tamayo
-Denver Biscuit Company (S Broadway)
-Red Square
-Sassafras (Highlands)
-Doug's Day Diner (Boulder)
-Snooze (Union Square)
-Watercourse (Vegetarian, still delicious)
-Spicy Basil (Thai delivery first night)
-El Taco De Mexico (7th and Santa Fe)
-(e) Vine Street Brewery - BLT and a very good Red that I can't remmber the name of right now. FYIPA was pretty good as well.

And I still lost 7 pounds while I was out there. Enjoyed every single place that I went to and I ate a helluva lot. Denver Biscuit Company was probably my favorite. Biscuits and gravy and a Hot Toddy when I needed it most.

A challenging, but fun overall trip.

Nice, what hikes did you do on Tuesday? I did Lake Haiyaha. Pics posted a few days ago.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

No real hikes, just stayed on the car path. Good enough for a first timer.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Two Finger posted:

Chlorine Trifluoride is what real gangsters use

From the FOOF thread (which you really should read, located here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602006)

Seriously you need to read that thread - it and Let's Talk About Idiots are two of the best threads these forums have ever seen.

Oh hey, that reminds me that I need to get my principal to buy me some iodine crystals so I can make some NI3.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Two Finger posted:

she got $3m for that, Nunes apparently got $100k plus another hundred for winning. lol professional fighting

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Two Finger posted:

I wish that more truthers could get her experience

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Happy New Years GiP. I hope 2017 brings good things (or at least less lovely things) for all of you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

she got $3m for that, Nunes apparently got $100k plus another hundred for winning. lol professional fighting

Well her fighting career is done I'd guess.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Happy New Years GiP. I hope 2017 brings good things (or at least less lovely things) for all of you.

2016 loving owned for me on a personal level and I am hoping to keep that momentum going into 2017.

Happy New Years and I hope you all have a good and safe time!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TBeats posted:

2016 loving owned for me on a personal level and I am hoping to keep that momentum going into 2017.

ditto.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
goons don't take muscle relaxers when you're exhausted you might end up sleeping in a coma for 14.5 hours fyi

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

goons don't take muscle relaxers when you're exhausted you might end up sleeping in a coma for 14.5 hours fyi

Yeah but are you better?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vasudus posted:

Yeah just drink instead

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

TBeats posted:

Ditto.

Here's to another year of Cubs baseball dominance.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
god no please anything but that

-signed, a cardinals fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Happy new year, GiP! Time for a new general (Dad) chat thread!

• Locked thread