Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Just harmless protesters, folks. I'm sure if we ignore them and leave them to their own devices, everything will work out just fine. They'll tire themselves out.

*carefully dries beading sweat from forehead*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
So some background that may explain some of the media coverage, based on what I've read so far:
  • The participants in both the earlier event and in the current occupation consisted of people from a bunch of different militias and from several neighboring states.
  • Part of the confusion over calling them "protesters" is because the occupiers are a subset of the group that had held an earlier protest over the Hammond situation. That earlier protest, while dumb, right wing and motivated by crazy "muh land" ideology, was a peaceful nonevent.
  • The Bundys, while being emphasized in media accounts because they're who America recognizes, aren't leading the occupation- they're being used as voices to promote it. Actual leadership is hard to confirm, but it appears to be organized by "III Percenters" - a very loose set of state-level right wing militias whose name comes from the (bullshit) idea that only 3% of Americans took up arms against the British. This lets them think of themselves as the Spartan Elect, instead of fringe loners. Have an interview video from rightwing internet news. Spoiler alert: vertical wood paneling.
  • One possible ringleader is a guy named Brandon Curtiss, who runs/ran the Idaho three percent. They're the most organized and media-savvy of the militia in this particular movement. Here's him discussing "Communist Core".
  • The reason the bizarre "this is really our land" argument has so much traction in the region is because the primary demographic is farmers and ranchers, who have to abide by federal regs on land use. This is the main form of direct interaction with the federal government they have, so it's effective to attack it for a large audience across the farming areas of the country.
  • The site of occupation is a bit more than a shack- it's all the resources and material being used to maintain the refuge- vehicles and such. At the same time, it's in the middle of nowhere and no one was in the building when it was seized, which is probably a part of why the federal response has been limited so far. The feds are really leery of giving the paranoid right (and the political right in the region, which is somewhat sympathetic to their beliefs) additional ammo.
This local coverage from Oregon Live provides additional detail and gives us some idea of how the groups are received locally- the newspaper is going out of its way to avoid attacking the occupiers.

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah, is there precedent for this? A second jail sentence does seem unreasonable.

It's entirely normal. It's not a second jail sentence, it's a "the sentencing judge broke the law giving you a lesser sentence, you knew that, nice try."

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 3, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Govt. needs to shut this crap down before this yokel poo poo takes off. Racist whites getting emboldened? Not on this timeline. Not after Tamir Rice. No gently caress No.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah, is there precedent for this? A second jail sentence does seem unreasonable.

It's not a second jail sentence. They were convicted of arson on federal property, but the local court judge decided to give them less than the mandatory 5-years. This was taken to the 9th Federal Appeals Court and overturned, extending their sentence to a full 5-years, minus time already served.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
From Oregon Live on the current stated leaders:

quote:

Ammon Bundy, son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, is acting as the leader, conducting a steady stream of media interviews. Other key militia leaders have joined him, including Ryan Payne, an Army veteran from Montana involved in last year's armed standoff in Nevada with federal agents; Blaine Cooper, an Arizona militiaman who also participated in the Nevada standoff, and Jon Ritzheimer, who made headlines last year for anti-Muslim rhetoric. Days before the refuge takeover, Ritzheimer posted what struck some as a farewell video to his family.

Here's Ritzheimer's video. What a charmer. You can tell he's had acting lessons.

Blaine Cooper's youtube channel has a collection of streams from the compound(sorry, that's what the occupied thing really is) and surrounding area.

He wasn't originally stated as a leader, so my guess is he's become their de facto leader and spox due to publicity surrounding his name. I'll look into the others.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 3, 2016

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am starting to think they are trying to do a militia version of the occupy movement. they are gonna camp there for a few weeks and then leave or get chases out.

This seems logical but remember all of these militia guys have homes and families that they willfully left. Thus, they are respected members of the community and will be allowed to stay as long as they wish.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Amanda Peacher posted:

Supply room at the #Bundymilitia Malheur refuge takeover.

Amanda Peacher posted:

I asked how #bundymilitia got into the refuge buildings. They found a whole set of keys.

This all seems well planned out.

Atrocious Joe fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 3, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Discendo Vox posted:

From Oregon Live on the current stated leaders:

He wasn't originally stated as a leader, so my guess is he's become their de facto leader and spox due to publicity surrounding his name. I'll look into the others and see if I can get Ritzheimer's video.

so a bunch of wannabe radicals.

Atrocious Joe posted:

This all seems well planned out.

i am honestly sure it was under the welcome mat too. the refuge probably doesn't expect robbers, since their isnt much to steal.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm glad they have a squat rack, that'll be important to help keep them from hurting their backs.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Internet Webguy posted:

This seems logical but remember all of these militia guys have homes and families that they willfully left. Thus, they are respected members of the community and will be allowed to stay as long as they wish.

Here's the thing: much like the Nevada standoff, they're willing to martyr themselves for the (bullshit and pants-on-head retarded) Cause. http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/i-didnt-come-here-to-shoot-i-came-here-to-die-oregon-militia-occupiers-fess-up-to-local-reporters/

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Step One: Put all park employees on paid leave.
Step Two: Send someone in a bomb disposal suit to pain the windows black.
Step Three: Cut the power and prevent supplies from going in.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Somebody just said the Bundy's phone number on livestream. Kind of want to start spamming it...

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Xandu posted:

Somebody just said the Bundy's phone number on livestream. Kind of want to start spamming it...

Don't worry it definitely is already.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Xandu posted:

There are a lot of opportunities here- I'd go with a fax of the constitutional convention on loop.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 3, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Well, the Oregonian has promoted them from "protesters" to "militants" if that means anything.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lars Blitzer posted:

Here's the thing: much like the Nevada standoff, they're willing to martyr themselves for the (bullshit and pants-on-head retarded) Cause. http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/i-didnt-come-here-to-shoot-i-came-here-to-die-oregon-militia-occupiers-fess-up-to-local-reporters/

I'm completely in favour of the federal boot stomping on the reactionary domestic terrorist face, forever. This, and not busting random :2bong: losers, is what America's overequipped police should be doing. If said reactionaries want to lose a wannabe armed insurrection over it they have it coming.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

RedQueen posted:

Captain Moroni, folks:

These are the saddest loving people, holy crap.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

blowfish posted:

I'm completely in favour of the federal boot stomping on the reactionary domestic terrorist face, forever. This, and not busting random :2bong: losers, is what America's overequipped police should be doing. If said domestic terrorists want to lose a wannabe armed insurrection over it they have it coming.

Different entities. Fed boots (most likely FBI, here) aren't the same as state police.

Bastard Tetris posted:

These are the saddest loving people, holy crap.

Get that man a forums account, stat.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Different entities. Fed boots (most likely FBI, here) aren't the same as state police.
Well, I'm also ok with a state boot.

quote:

Get that man a forums account, stat.

goon success story in the making

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Twitter accounts stating that literally no police has shown up. It's bonkers.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Holy gently caress a floating head!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ufarn posted:

Twitter accounts stating that literally no police has shown up. It's bonkers.

it makes some sense. if they imdietly send all the SWAT trucks down there, it will basicaly be giving into these shitheads delusions and martyr fetishes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Be really careful with twitter accounts in this scenario- a lot of them will be folks parroting and creating far right claims about the situation.

This is a link to the press conference stream. It's starting at about 3 PM local time.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 3, 2016

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Be really careful with twitter accounts in this scenario- a lot of them will be folks parroting and creating far right claims about the sitation.

Especially when some reporter said she could only see 6-12 guys there, not 150 :) Makes it hard to take any of their claims about this seriously.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Discendo Vox posted:

There are a lot of opportunities here- I'd go with a fax of the constitutional convention on loop.

I for one support you Mr. Bundy.

- Sincerely Weedlord Bonerhitler

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Xandu posted:

Especially when some reporter said she could only see 6-12 guys there, not 150 :) Makes it hard to take any of their claims about this seriously.

my honest guess it they will grow to maybe 50 or 100.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Discendo Vox posted:

Blaine Cooper's youtube channel has a collection of streams from the compound(sorry, that's what the occupied thing really is) and surrounding area.

He wasn't originally stated as a leader, so my guess is he's become their de facto leader and spox due to publicity surrounding his name. I'll look into the others.

Blaine Cooper, in happier (for him) times.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Reminder that this is the usual response when Americans have protests about corrupt police departments, the enviroment, wall street deregulation, the ballooning cost of college and other real issues. Enjoy the rest of your day citizen. :911:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
The best thing Twitter has provided to the situation so far are the nicknames Y'all Qaeda and Vanilla ISIS.

And I guess providing undoubtable proof that these guys are all racist douchebags, but that is less funny.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
The apparent lack of any sort of response from law enforcement whatsoever is actually a brilliant ploy to lull them into a false sense of security, I'm sure.

The free arrival of more people and supplies only plays into the hands of the Feds, you see. :shepface:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

UV_Catastrophe posted:

The apparent lack of any sort of response from law enforcement whatsoever is actually a brilliant ploy to lull them into a false sense of security, I'm sure.

The free arrival of more people and supplies only plays into the hands of the Feds, you see. :shepface:

I'm sure they will learn pretty quickly why nobody is out there this time of year, even if they were paid to be.

Probably around nightfall, most likely.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:chanpop:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I like word puns.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
What other kinds of puns are there

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Another reminder that an entire neighborhood was burned down and several people were killed when Philly police attempted to arrest members of MOVE.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

His Purple Majesty posted:

Another reminder that an entire neighborhood was burned down and several people were killed when Philly police attempted to arrest members of MOVE.

MOVE were a bunch of dicks. but its horrible what happend to them. apparently the cop who saved the woman and the kid from the blaze was completely ostracized from the police force, and had "friend of the family lover" written on his locker and belongings.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

ed by crazy "muh land" ideology, was a peaceful nonevent.
[*]The Bundys, while being emphasized in media accounts because they're who America recognizes, aren't leading the occupation- they're being used as voices to promote it. Actual leadership is hard to confirm, but it appears to be organized by "III Percenters" - a very loose set of state-level right wing militias whose name comes from the (bullshit) idea that only 3% of Americans took up arms against the British. This lets them think of themselves as the Spartan Elect, instead of fringe loners. Have an interview video from rightwing internet news. Spoiler alert: vertical wood paneling.

Three %ers are distancing themselves. Doesn't seem like any Oregonians are involved.

https://twitter.com/intelwire/status/683716830226214912

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I don't think anyone should be giving the Feds the benefit of the doubt here after how badly they botched the bundy ranch situation, what with no one actually facing any consequences whatsoever as far as I can tell. In the previous incident, I was with the camp that thought they would definitely just be picking up these people one by one and charging them after the fact. That was almost two loving years ago.

I would be surprised if the feds took action here without a lot of outside pressure.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

His Purple Majesty posted:

Copthread was closed. This isn't the copthread. Please.

Xandu posted:

Three %ers are distancing themselves. Doesn't seem like any Oregonians are involved.

https://twitter.com/intelwire/status/683716830226214912

This may or may not be meaningful- there's no real coordination between the 3% militias, so the out of state 3%s may still be involved. At a minimum, Curtiss is one of the occupiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

I don't think anyone should be giving the Feds the benefit of the doubt here after how badly they botched the bundy ranch situation, what with no one actually facing any consequences whatsoever as far as I can tell. In the previous incident, I was with the camp that thought they would definitely just be picking up these people one by one and charging them after the fact. That was almost two loving years ago.

I would be surprised if the feds took action here without a lot of outside pressure.
so wipe the place off the map with B52s, at which point everybody in the area dying is a feature and not a bug :mrgw:

• Locked thread