Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
I hope these peaceful protesters are able to get justice for their friends and that no one gets hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Internet Webguy posted:

The best thing Twitter has provided to the situation so far are the nicknames Y'all Qaeda and Vanilla ISIS.

And I guess providing undoubtable proof that these guys are all racist douchebags, but that is less funny.

i've seen #WhiteSIS, #YokelHaram, and #YeeHawd

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Mercury_Storm posted:

I don't think anyone should be giving the Feds the benefit of the doubt here after how badly they botched the bundy ranch situation, what with no one actually facing any consequences whatsoever as far as I can tell. In the previous incident, I was with the camp that thought they would definitely just be picking up these people one by one and charging them after the fact. That was almost two loving years ago.

I would be surprised if the feds took action here without a lot of outside pressure.

Apparently they haven't bothered to set up a command post yet.

https://twitter.com/ClaudiaKoerner/status/683759815571554304

Although it's always hard to tell with these situations how much of this anonymous sourcing from the police is trying to manipulate the group.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

blowfish posted:

so wipe the place off the map with B52s, at which point everybody in the area dying is a feature and not a bug :mrgw:

Try actually preventing people from entering or leaving the property at all. If you've been paying attention so far there is 0 police presence and I doubt anyone is even keeping track or who is coming and going yet.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
I don't find the terrorist comparison to be apt since these peaceful protesters haven't hurt anyone. ISIS is famous for beheadings and bombings and shootings while the Oathkeepers are famous for not hurting anyone.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

wiffle ball bat posted:

I don't find the terrorist comparison to be apt since these peaceful protesters haven't hurt anyone. ISIS is famous for beheadings and bombings and shootings while the Oathkeepers are famous for not hurting anyone.

is this u c/d

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

wiffle ball bat posted:

The Oathkeepers and other groups would leap at the chance to purge the country of "undesirables".

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
Ideological opponents of the Occupy movement and the hashtag Black Lives Matter movement would often use instances of rape, arson, assault and vandalism to characterize the entire group as a whole as "thugs" and "criminals" a point of view I personally disagree with.This is a common practice, to attempt to use the actions of a non-representational few to discredit the movement as a whole. It's disingenuous and intellectually lazy, in my opinion, to argue the character of the protesters rather than the ideas they're risking life and limb to support.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

wiffle ball bat posted:

Ideological opponents of the Occupy movement and the hashtag Black Lives Matter movement would often use instances of rape, arson, assault and vandalism to characterize the entire group as a whole as "thugs" and "criminals" a point of view I personally disagree with.This is a common practice, to attempt to use the actions of a non-representational few to discredit the movement as a whole. It's disingenuous and intellectually lazy, in my opinion, to argue the character of the protesters rather than the ideas they're risking life and limb to support.

The ideas they're supporting is armed insurrection against the rightful elected government because it doesn't support their racist, reactionary ideology.

Sounds like terrorists

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

wiffle ball bat posted:

This is true, I had completely forgotten about their courageous stance on issues such as "gently caress Obama", "I don't want to pay taxes" and "My friends should be able to steal whatever land they want". Truly, heroes of our time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

Blaine Cooper, in happier (for him) times.

Took some work to find, since Facebook took down the original, but here's the video of him wrapping the Quran in bacon and burning it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPaECrZ6H7k

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
They're actually protesting two ranchers being charged with terrorism for killing a couple of deer out of season and doing a controlled burn on federal land. Illegal, yes. Terrorism? Not in my very humble opinion.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Took some work to find, since Facebook took down the original, but here's the video of him wrapping the Quran in bacon and burning it.

Yeah, waste these fools.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

wiffle ball bat posted:

They're actually protesting two ranchers being charged with terrorism for killing a couple of deer out of season and doing a controlled burn on federal land. Illegal, yes. Terrorism? Not in my very humble opinion.

Twice starting fires (one that could've resulted in people dying) on federal land, once during a burn ban, illegal poaching, and sending numerous death threats to land managers. Truly, they have been hard done.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Joementum posted:

I'll never get over these morons thinking bacon is Muslim kryptonite.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

wiffle ball bat posted:

Pretty sure the terrorism charges are for making death threats and nearly burning a bunch of firefighters to death while they slept.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
I don't see the value in discounting their grievances when in this particular instance an injustice was most assuredly dealt to the Hammons.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

Hmm yes this man has a very nuanced argument

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

wiffle ball bat posted:

I don't see the value in discounting their grievances when in this particular instance an injustice was most assuredly dealt to the Hammons.

False.

Also the Malitia movement in the US is irrevocably tied to a history of White Nationalism and terrorist actions against the government so it's 100% apt to this group trying to start a separatist revolt "terrorists".

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

wiffle ball bat posted:

No

ufarn
May 30, 2009

His Purple Majesty posted:

Hmm yes this man has a very nuanced argument
is he burning a kfc bucket

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ufarn posted:

Harsh lesson in patriotism.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Harsh lesson in patriotism.
I'm not an American, but isn't that the US equivalent of burning the Koran?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wait what, who is this shitter being transphobic about too I guess?

Edit: Oh, he's pouring out some grape soda too. Classy if done on purpose.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 3, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Supply room at the compound. They brought their weight training equipment :allears:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Judging from the mats I'd say that equipment was there already.

ufarn posted:

Yes, if you burn our flag we will burn what represents you! A bucket with a picture of an old white slave owner.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

wiffle ball bat posted:

They wouldn't be engaging in terrorism to get their way if they weren't right!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Joementum posted:

Supply room at the compound. They brought their weight training equipment :allears:

My guess is a fair amount of that stuff, including the weight equipment, was already onsite. That looks like it's one of the storage outbuildings at the headquarters- the staff who oversee the refuge may have been using it as a rec room.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I vote we just exile these guys to Somalia, and sell it to them that they won't have to pay any sort of federal taxes to anyone there. True freedom from government!

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Discendo Vox posted:

My guess is a fair amount of that stuff, including the weight equipment, was already onsite. That looks like it's one of the storage outbuildings at the headquarters- the staff who oversee the refuge may have been using it as a rec room.

Please check your tone, you won't get anywhere posting like this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Remind me again why liking fried chicken is a black stereotype, please. Doesn't everyone love fried chicken? It's loving delicious, how could you not like it?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

PT6A posted:

Remind me again why liking fried chicken is a black stereotype, please. Doesn't everyone love fried chicken? It's loving delicious, how could you not like it?

Because racism is really, really stupid.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MariusLecter posted:

Please check your tone, you won't get anywhere posting like this.

I apologize if I offended you in some way, please let me know how and I'd be happy to revise the post.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I think a group's original grievance goes out the window when they take up arms and occupy a federal compound.

Like they could be protesting Obama himself sneaking into their houses at night and going nuts with a baseball bat, they've escalated the situation to a whole different level now.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
There is no way he didn't eat that first.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

PT6A posted:

"In the United States, fried chicken has stereotypically been associated with African Americans. The reasons for this are various. Chicken dishes were popular among slaves before the Civil War, as chickens were generally the only animals slaves were allowed to raise on their own."

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Jarmak posted:

Pretty sure the terrorism charges are for making death threats and nearly burning a bunch of firefighters to death while they slept.

You would be wrong in this instance because there are no threats associated with the arson case. They did a controlled burn of a poaching site (a couple of dead deer) that was adjacent to a firefighter camp. No one got hurt. A police report was filed and they didn't get charged until 5 years after the fact on brand new terrorism charges that the original judge said "would shock the conscience" and constitute cruel and unusual punishment if carried out.

Now if they had beheaded someone, or shot up a school or office building, or even hurt or threatened someone in the course of carrying out the arson, I could maybe see grounds for agreeing with the terrorism charge.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
I don't understand the value of dehumanizing my perceived ideological enemies and praying for their violent death but it's probably a moral or intellectual failing on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

wiffle ball bat posted:

You would be wrong in this instance because there are no threats associated with the arson case. They did a controlled burn of a poaching site (a couple of dead deer) that was adjacent to a firefighter camp. No one got hurt. A police report was filed and they didn't get charged until 5 years after the fact on brand new terrorism charges that the original judge said "would shock the conscience" and constitute cruel and unusual punishment if carried out.

Now if they had beheaded someone, or shot up a school or office building, or even hurt or threatened someone in the course of carrying out the arson, I could maybe see grounds for agreeing with the terrorism charge.

Oh that's what you think 5 years would be a reasonable sentence for. Okay thanks

• Locked thread