Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Lets take this to its logical conclusion; can I fit a still in the back that will produce 96% ethanol, which I can blend with 10% gas and run the engine? :getin:

E: I like how we're on page 5 and the van isn't even at Adiabatic's yet.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

This is the van you need. You will provide beer and Adiabatic will do as he is told. A lopey loving LM7 van will emerge.

This is going to be lope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

literally a fish posted:

Lets take this to its logical conclusion; can I fit a still in the back that will produce 96% ethanol, which I can blend with 10% gas and run the engine? :getin:

That's what i was going to mention. put a flex fuel sensor in there somewhere and say you're making fuel!

And now that's got me wondering if that would be a legitimately good way to make fuel. use the vehicle's waste heat to make ethanol to run the vehicle on.

Couple that with a little direct exhaust injection and you can practically run the van on water, man.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

That's what i was going to mention. put a flex fuel sensor in there somewhere and say you're making fuel!

And now that's got me wondering if that would be a legitimately good way to make fuel. use the vehicle's waste heat to make ethanol to run the vehicle on.

Couple that with a little direct exhaust injection and you can practically run the van on water, man.

I could build a van that ran entirely on self-distilled bud light

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
This is AI, there's no such thing as a 'spare motor'!

Edit:

literally a fish posted:

This is going to be lope.

And there's your bumper sticker! / mural

Powershift posted:

Let tell you about my new idea, it's called HHO and the first thing you need to know is that it isn't a scam.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 8, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Just a quick reality check post here; until the van is actually a known quantity (i.e. at Adiabatic's place where it can be checked over and more information gathered) there will be no deciding of which of these many paths we have available will actually be followed.

LM7 swap may or may not happen depending on a huge number of factors, such as whether the 350 in the van needs to be pulled from the van at all, whether an LM7 can actually be obtained and shipped down to Richmond, etc etc.

I obviously really want it to happen but it's not just about what /can be done/ but what /will actually get done with the time and workforce available/

With that in mind, we now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Let tell you about my new idea, it's called HHO and the first thing you need to know is that it isn't a scam.

what form do i need to fill out for my 100mpg carburetor

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Darchangel posted:

God damnit! Now I want a Mopar 'Camino, too. I mean, I've always liked utes (I had a '68 Chevy El Camino in high school), but have somehow never seen the Mopar ones.
Chrysler utes were an Aussie only thing.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

literally a fish posted:

Just a quick reality check post here; until the van is actually a known quantity (i.e. at Adiabatic's place where it can be checked over and more information gathered) there will be no deciding of which of these many paths we have available will actually be followed.

LM7 swap may or may not happen depending on a huge number of factors, such as whether the 350 in the van needs to be pulled from the van at all, whether an LM7 can actually be obtained and shipped down to Richmond, etc etc.

I obviously really want it to happen but it's not just about what /can be done/ but what /will actually get done with the time and workforce available/

With that in mind, we now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

what form do i need to fill out for my 100mpg carburetor
LM7s are all over the place, I'm sure one could be sourced in VA or NC.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I foresee lots of goons in my house in 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Its your own drat fault for being so giving. (and owning a lift)

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
Hey literally a fish

You need to bring this man a bunch of Aussie beer, I imagine they get some there in the US but its probably the poo poo stuff and ridiculously overpriced.

Adiabatic posted:

I foresee lots of goons in my house in 2016

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Bring me a case of VB in your luggage

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

iForge posted:

Bring me a case of VB in your luggage

First bit of education, its not a case its a slab.

You never buy a case of VB, you buy a slab of VB. Also, you get stubbies (375ml) and not cans (tinnies, also 375ml) - though for a bit of nostalgia, you might get the VB mini bottles affectionately called "grenades" or "hand grenades" (they were 250ml). Back in the old days though, we used to be able to get these 1l or 1.5l cans of VB (up in the Northern Territory, where we also had unrestricted highways cos there was nothing else for ages).

If you want a can of something, you could go Melbourne Bitter - just that with VB, cans are always the last resort.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

KingPave posted:

You need to bring this man a bunch of Aussie beer, I imagine they get some there in the US but its probably the poo poo stuff and ridiculously overpriced.

Did you know they all think we drink Foster's? Nobody drinks Foster's! Foster's sold in the US is even made in the USA

And KingPave is right, beer comes in slabs mate - send bazza down the bottle-o to grab a slab of carlton and a slab of VB, that'll get us set for 'straya day, just have to remember to pick up some snags and steaks a couple days early

fun fact: if you bring your car to the sandown 500 you are limited to two slabs of beer per person, IIRC

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

literally a fish posted:

Did you know they all think we drink Foster's? Nobody drinks Foster's! Foster's sold in the US is even made in the USA

And KingPave is right, beer comes in slabs mate - send bazza down the bottle-o to grab a slab of carlton and a slab of VB, that'll get us set for 'straya day, just have to remember to pick up some snags and steaks a couple days early

fun fact: if you bring your car to the sandown 500 you are limited to two slabs of beer per person, IIRC

The trick is to get someone to drive you in with 4 slabs(2 each) and then get them to drive the car home.

You'll be riding back in a cop car anyways.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
Didnt they limit it to 1 slab per person for Bathurst?

Yep, google confirms it with an article on SMH from 2009: http://www.smh.com.au//breaking-news-national/v8-fans-face-slab-limit-at-bathurst-1000-20091006-gjlq.html

quote:

V8 fans will again be limited to one slab of beer a day at this year's Bathurst 1000 car race.

[...]

Restrictions also apply to one case (24 cans) of pre-mixed drinks a day or one cask of wine up to four litres.

Combinations of the options will not be allowed.

That limit is per-day, so the nearby bottle-o's would be making a killing.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

literally a fish posted:

Straight up per person or per person, per day? Because then smart people would be burying their poo poo at their site, Bathurst-style.

Also does the limit include goon at all?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

KingPave posted:

Didnt they limit it to 1 slab per person for Bathurst?

Yep, google confirms it with an article on SMH from 2009: http://www.smh.com.au//breaking-news-national/v8-fans-face-slab-limit-at-bathurst-1000-20091006-gjlq.html

That limit is per-day, so the nearby bottle-o's would be making a killing.

Hmm. Maybe the signs at Sandown said 2 slabs per car, then? That or i'm dumb.

MrChips posted:

Straight up per person or per person, per day? Because then smart people would be burying their poo poo at their site, Bathurst-style.

Also does the limit include goon at all?

Yeah, per person per day. No idea on the goon...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

literally a fish posted:

I could build a van that ran entirely on self-distilled bud light

People actually drink that poo poo?

literally a fish posted:

Nobody in the US drinks that poo poo either.

I have no idea what the gently caress you said in the second sentence though.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

People actually drink that poo poo?

I have no idea what the gently caress you said in the second sentence though.

Not here, that's for sure.

A translation: Hey bro, send Barry down to the liquor store for a case of [beer] and a case of [other beer], that should be enough for the 4th of July. We just need to remember to pick up some sausages and steaks for the BBQ closer to the date. :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I'd ship em a slab of Sparkling Ale. Im pretty sure the US doesnt have much like that, and you forget your drinking murray river water after the 3rd bottle or so catches up with you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

literally a fish posted:

The more I think about it, the more putting an LM7 in makes sense.

And the more I think about that, the more buying an entire LM7'd truck for parts seems reasonable... I'm sure it's not, though.

hey ken how do you feel about LM7/harness/manifolds/etc pulling :v:

I am fine with that, it takes me about 2 to 3 hours to have a whole drivetrain out working at a lazy pace, since I rip the cab off and either tip it over with a high-lift or have the yard dogs forklift it off first thing. The only issues are getting one of my MJs on the road in time to bring it home and finding a way to get it to VA.

Another minor feature, 2wd donors are semi rare up here so you'll probably get a tcase and two sawzalled driveshaft halves too. Van with a crawl box? Sure. Ghost ride that poo poo.

Darchangel posted:

Soooooo, how much would one of those shipped to Texas, with accessories, wiring harness, and ECU? For a friend, of course. I would never put one in one of the several non-running RX-7s I have.

I'm voting for the LSx in the van, too, if we have any influence.
Better power, better gas mileage, and probably better running condition, even if it had the same miles as the van's original. Those 5.3 truck motors seem to be very long lived.

I'm down for it if you arrange shipping, but bear in mind you are going to have a serious conniption fit when you realize what we yanks consider a normal/acceptable level of rust on a drivetrain.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

Another minor feature, 2wd donors are semi rare up here so you'll probably get a tcase and two sawzalled driveshaft halves too. Van with a crawl box? Sure. Ghost ride that poo poo.

Bigass stereo in the back, idling in crawl gear, ghost riding that whip while blasting Acca Dacca (what do Aussies listen to these days?).

Once again, I fully support this vanture.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
can I point out that a molester van with an LS is pretty much the AI mascot at this point

needs more jorts though

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's a shame it's got windows.

Because it means less space for murals, and because bubble windows would have been totally rad.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
If you're going the LM7 route make a trip in PA to denmah/sloppy mechanics on the youtube and immerse the east coast in turboy tire smoke.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

KozmoNaut posted:

It's a shame it's got windows.

Because it means less space for murals, and because bubble windows would have been totally rad.

You could do what they've been doing on buses and stuff, get a printed vinyl thing... Should it be a kawaii anime-desu van?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

ssjonizuka posted:

You could do what they've been doing on buses and stuff, get a printed vinyl thing... Should it be a kawaii anime-desu van?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

I'm down for it if you arrange shipping, but bear in mind you are going to have a serious conniption fit when you realize what we yanks consider a normal/acceptable level of rust on a drivetrain.

Ummm, yeah. If I'm in Texas no way I'm gonna buy a drivetrain from the northeast. There must be plenty in Texas, I don't understand that logic.

ssjonizuka posted:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 8, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

leica posted:

Ummm, yeah. If I'm in Texas no way I'm gonna buy a drivetrain from the northeast. There must be plenty in Texas, I don't understand that logic.

Mostly because a complete, with all accessories, all wiring, all manifolds, ECU, literally everything motor of V8/V10 flavor costs me $300 plus tax.

Sure, donors exist down south, but they're much more ragged mileage wise because the trucks don't rot apart around them by the time they turn 150k. So a good donor has a substantial pricetag attached to it... I've seen $1500-2k.

Are you willing to pay the premium for a rust free southern drivetrain? Go ahead and do it. Want the same thing 5-6 times cheaper, but it looks nasty and you have to fight with the exhaust manifold fasteners a bit? Go ahead and do it.

I'm a cheap rear end in a top hat, so the choice is clear to me. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well yeah, I understand you choosing to being right there in the northeast yourself, but I didn't understand why someone in Texas wanted a drivetrain from up there. I had no idea they were that expensive in the south.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Mostly because a complete, with all accessories, all wiring, all manifolds, ECU, literally everything motor of V8/V10 flavor costs me $300 plus tax.

Sure, donors exist down south, but they're much more ragged mileage wise because the trucks don't rot apart around them by the time they turn 150k. So a good donor has a substantial pricetag attached to it... I've seen $1500-2k.

Are you willing to pay the premium for a rust free southern drivetrain? Go ahead and do it. Want the same thing 5-6 times cheaper, but it looks nasty and you have to fight with the exhaust manifold fasteners a bit? Go ahead and do it.

I'm a cheap rear end in a top hat, so the choice is clear to me. :v:

And it's not like the manifold and other bitchy fasteners aren't going to be available for access, with the motor out and all... It's not like the block goes bad by being rusty. I'd certainly take a rusty northeast truck motor with far fewer miles than a clean southern motor with a quarter million miles.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

I am fine with that, it takes me about 2 to 3 hours to have a whole drivetrain out working at a lazy pace, since I rip the cab off and either tip it over with a high-lift or have the yard dogs forklift it off first thing. The only issues are getting one of my MJs on the road in time to bring it home and finding a way to get it to VA.

Awesome. I don't want to give you the go-ahead until we've got the van to Adiabatic's where it can be properly inspected, but in all likelihood this is the road we'll go down.

Hmm. Does that make much/any difference if I wanted to remove the tcase? or would I be better off leaving it there & just getting the driveshaft shortened?

kastein posted:

*checks box two*

Exhaust manifold fasteners are what bap baps and penetrating oil are for, right? :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

Well yeah, I understand you choosing to being right there in the northeast yourself, but I didn't understand why someone in Texas wanted a drivetrain from up there. I had no idea they were that expensive in the south.

Here in California, it's literally a race. The two times I've got a row52 search update telling me that a truck with an LM7 had hit the yard, I have had these experiences:

Go to the yard a couple hours after they opened (because it was a weekend and I was sleeping; this is still right after I woke up) and both trucks (there were 2 that got added the same day) had a crew of dedicated dudes working on them and both engines were already in the air.

The other time I was pulling an all-nighter working on a project for school, so I was still up and able to go to the yard before they opened. I joined a group of 3 other dudes or so, sitting in our cars, half an hour before they opened. As soon as they unlocked the doors, we all made a bee-line for the new LM7-having truck, and all left disappointed: the motor was already pulled. I saw it on the ground set aside for someone else, so an employee must have grabbed it.

So yeah, depending on where you live, they can be easier or harder to find. If I wanted one, I'd have to look on LKQ or someone on car-part, and they're all 4 figures.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccrp-0804-325-chevy-small-block-engine/

hotrod.com posted:

Our first shot was a simple baseline of the stock 5.3 with the carb and headers, making a credible 337 hp and 351 lb-ft of torque. Next, it was a simple task to strip the accessory drive and timing-gear cover and swap the stock hydraulic roller cam for a new Comp Thumpr cam. We also added a set of Comp beehive valvesprings to the stock heads to ensure adequate valve control at what we figured would be a higher peak horsepower engine speed. That's exactly what happened. Just bolting in this new Thumpr cam (it didn't even have a part number) pushed the peak horsepower from 5,600 to a nose-bleeding 6,800 rpm. But more torque at a higher engine speed is the formula for horsepower, which is what happened when the peak power jumped from 337 to 433 with stock heads. That's a 96hp bump with a cam swap!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

I have read this article, and it's definitely a part of what convinced me the LM7 option should be our primary game plan.

what the hell GM why does a cam make 100 freakin horsepower

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

literally a fish posted:

I have read this article, and it's definitely a part of what convinced me the LM7 option should be our primary game plan.

what the hell GM why does a cam make 100 freakin horsepower

drive ability, fuel efficiency, etc.

There's a million reasons to keep the power where its at. Most 5.3's from the factory make around 280-300ish HP depending on the application, and is more than adequate for daily driving.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Because the stock cam in the 5.3 is tiny. Even the stock early LS1 cam ('97-'00) is worth 67hp over the LM7 cam: Car Craft did a comparison.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

literally a fish posted:

Awesome. I don't want to give you the go-ahead until we've got the van to Adiabatic's where it can be properly inspected, but in all likelihood this is the road we'll go down.

Hmm. Does that make much/any difference if I wanted to remove the tcase? or would I be better off leaving it there & just getting the driveshaft shortened?

*checks box two*

Exhaust manifold fasteners are what bap baps and penetrating oil are for, right? :v:

Yeah, I'm not buying any parts till I hear which route to go.

I would leave the tcase... first of all you get a low range in a loving van, which is nice for being stuck in traffic and hitching up trailers and stuff, and second it's way way easier than trying to remove it because to do that you have to convert the trans to 2wd, which is not as simple as it sounds. Driveshaft shorten and rebalance (once it's in the vehicle and you know exactly how long it needs to be) is like $150-180, I'll cut the driveshafts on the donor so you have the right end yoke to match the ujoint that the trans or tcase slip yoke requires just in case it happens to be different from the one that the C20 stock driveshaft takes.

There's a solid chance (I say this not knowing a thing about GM transmissions - if they're as lazy as they were on engine bellhousings, this might not be true) the driveshaft length would be changing going from a 350/700R4 to an LM7/4L60E anyways.

Putting an impact on rusty manifold hardware is playing russian roulette. Either it'll come right out and you win because you just chase the threads with a tap and put new hardware in, or it'll snap the gently caress off and now you get to experience the wonder that is rusty manifold stud removal from an alloy cylinder head.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

literally a fish posted:

Awesome. I don't want to give you the go-ahead until we've got the van to Adiabatic's where it can be properly inspected

What makes you think I can't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Bro do you even (have a) lift?

• Locked thread