Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iForge posted:

What makes you think I can't?

Adiabatic has real spindly fingers, he can get up inside that van in a way no other man should try. Some say he can speak to every GMC product and divine its secret true name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

iForge posted:

What makes you think I can't?

Fair point, actually. I really just meant "where it's going to actually be worked on" - having made it from your house to Adiabatic's under its own power would be a nice milestone, and he won't commit to a project pathway until he's seen it himself, which is fair.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Adiabatic has real spindly fingers, he can get up inside that van in a way no other man should try. Some say he can speak to every GMC product and divine its secret true name.

I like this answer better, though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you learn a GMC's True Name then do you get to control the Dexcool like a bloodbender or what?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

If you learn a GMC's True Name then do you get to control the Dexcool like a bloodbender or what?

Yes, but it's still going to rust out everything it loving touches.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Kee oth rama pancake Loper I banish thee

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Geirskogul posted:

Kee oth rama pancake Loper I banish thee

Adiabatic panics as he tries the remaining passenger door handle. No luck, it grinds to a halt half way, a metallic ping as some wretched mechanism snaps off and lands inside the door. Stabbing at the parts bin door switches he waits as the regulator groans, trying valiantly to lower the window, only to stop mere inches from freedom. The smoke from the regulator joins the heat and soot now entering the van from the flames encircling it. In a daze he stabs at the AC switches, only to watch a serpentine belt quickly exit the open engine bay and taste the freedom he so craves. As the belt arcs through the sky it grows and transforms, growing fangs and eyes, and turns back to gaze upon its former master. Adiabatic screams and dives between the captains chairs as he hears the sound of the windshield shattering behind him.

With a gasp he wakes from his nightmare, dripping with sweat. Turning on the bedside lamp he gasps a second time when the light reveals a bed soaked with the familiar pinkish red hue of Dexcool. The sound of a Cummins diesel can be heard in the distance, straining as it pulls a heavy load up his driveway. It's here.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

8ender posted:

Adiabatic panics as he tries the remaining passenger door handle. No luck, it grinds to a halt half way, a metallic ping as some wretched mechanism snaps off and lands inside the door. Stabbing at the parts bin door switches he waits as the regulator groans, trying valiantly to lower the window, only to stop mere inches from freedom. The smoke from the regulator joins the heat and soot now entering the van from the flames encircling it. In a daze he stabs at the AC switches, only to watch a serpentine belt quickly exit the open engine bay and taste the freedom he so craves. As the belt arcs through the sky it grows and transforms, growing fangs and eyes, and turns back to gaze upon its former master. Adiabatic screams and dives between the captains chairs as he hears the sound of the windshield shattering behind him.

With a gasp he wakes from his nightmare, dripping with sweat. Turning on the bedside lamp he gasps a second time when the light reveals a bed soaked with the familiar pinkish red hue of Dexcool. The sound of a Cummins diesel can be heard in the distance, straining as it pulls a heavy load up his driveway. It's here.

...As he wakes, he realizes it wasn't a Cummins. Just another loving Subaru with no rings.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

#yolobathsalts? This has to belong to a goon.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

8ender posted:

Please append to OP tia

Add in a Harbor Freight earthquake impact wrench braps and you got yourself a bona-fide SSS post.

Convert the Dexcool to gear oil, the diesel strain to a power steering pump whine, and the parts-bin switches to bakelite plastic, and this is a Ford story.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Tossed some coolant in the van and tried to start, battery charged up to 12v but was down to 3.5v after 2 days. Went out and bought a new battery, installed it, and cranked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNVJXNfjdyk

I figured out where all the coolant is going:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Are you 100% sure that's coolant, and not rusty water that's condensed in the exhaust after sitting in a back alley for months?

It's coolant...

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
:rip: 350 :V

That complicates things somewhat. It sounded like it wanted to run, but clearly didn't get anywhere...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'll leave the explanation to fish, but:

PLUS:

PLUS:

https://goo.gl/maps/NEtAU1AVv3t

Gotta go to one of my mom's doctors appointments, might as well do a "good" deed along the way.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 10, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Time for that LM7 LS7 swap.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Time for that LM7 LML swap.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Time for that LM7 LS7 swap.

Adiabatic posted:

I foresee lots of goons in my house in 2016

Just make sure that fridge is in tip top shape. I foresee a lot of beer in your future.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Have you considered a 1uz swap?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Have you considered a 1uz swap?

:frogout:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

sharkytm posted:

I'll leave the explanation to fish, but:

PLUS:

PLUS:

https://goo.gl/maps/NEtAU1AVv3t

Gotta go to one of my mom's doctors appointments, might as well do a "good" deed along the way.

This owns you own

This van is bringing all of AI together

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 10, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

This owns you own

This van is bringing all of AI together

God I love this place. I love you all*. I love you especially Adiabatic and Sharky™. This van is going to be goddamn amazing.

*Except that Terrible Robot guy. He's pretty terrible.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:(

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Aw cheer up TR you know I'm just fuckin' with ya <3

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im loving the fact that an Australian can buy a van in the USA, get it moved the equivilent of Adelaide to Melbourne, get someone else to fix it up for him, all so he can use it to go visit a bunch of people hes only ever met over the internet, easier than I can get my plans for building a less than foot off the ground timber deck thats under a roof approved through the local loving council!

'STRAYA!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

Im loving the fact that an Australian can buy a van in the USA, get it moved the equivilent of Adelaide to Melbourne, get someone else to fix it up for him, all so he can use it to go visit a bunch of people hes only ever met over the internet, easier than I can get my plans for building a less than foot off the ground timber deck thats under a roof approved through the local loving council!

'STRAYA!

See if you can get the deck built in America by goon labour and then apply to import it to Australia?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

See if you can get the deck built in America by goon labour and then apply to import it to Australia?

Or put sails on it, and make it a real voyage!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Il get Kastien to build it. Then it will weigh more than my 3000 cubic foot concrete foundation and be more robust.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

If kastein built it, you could probably just have SpaceX launch it at you.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ferremit posted:

'STRAYA!
That'll teach ya for telling the council in the first place

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Righto chap, one LM7/4L60e/tcase (or not, depends on what donor looks nicest, you might get a 2wd one) coming right up, soon as I have my blue MJ running.

This is gonna be fun, I haven't had an excuse to utterly pillage a GM fullsize product since a whole year ago now, when chrisgt, SiF, and I ruined a K3500 diesel to rip its NV4500 out :haw::hf::banjo:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Bwahahahaha. Dis gon b gud.

Feel free to leave the tcase behind; it turns out to cost $75 for a 2WD bellhousing and output shaft, and they just drop in, so unless it's $free.50 (which, knowing you, it will be :sun:) you can leave it.

Otherwise, aww yissssssss

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

literally a fish posted:

Bwahahahaha. Dis gon b gud.

Feel free to leave the tcase behind; it turns out to cost $75 for a 2WD bellhousing and output shaft, and they just drop in, so unless it's $free.50 (which, knowing you, it will be :sun:) you can leave it.

Otherwise, aww yissssssss

You're thinking about this the wrong way.

Going in the other direction, how much is it for a front differential?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

You Am I posted:

That'll teach ya for telling the council in the first place

I wouldnt have, except that two of the decks are at the front of my house, and the council drives around our new estate every few days to make sure builders arent being bogans.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Powershift posted:

You're thinking about this the wrong way.

Going in the other direction, how much is it for a front differential?

AWD van burnouts best burnouts.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
..... will a 4x4 pickup front crossmember bolt into a van?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I can probably find one for a few hundred bucks. Tell me what fits the 4wd swap kits for that era c-van.

Either that or we can go 2wd. The output shaft drops in from the back right? As in you don't have to take everything out of the case, swap one bit, and put it all back in? On the transmissions I'm used to, that's what happens.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

I can probably find one for a few hundred bucks. Tell me what fits the 4wd swap kits for that era c-van.

Either that or we can go 2wd. The output shaft drops in from the back right? As in you don't have to take everything out of the case, swap one bit, and put it all back in? On the transmissions I'm used to, that's what happens.

As it turns out the tailshaft does NOT drop in from the back. Rude. I am 100% certain Adiabatic and TerribleRobot don't want to disassemble the trans, and I don't want to be encouraging them to do so, so that can stay.

Is there any harm in just letting the front output yoke freewheel? The driveshaft will need shortening anyway. I'm slightly concerned about clearance; there might not be room for a transfer case, so hold off on grabbing a 4WD until we've confirmed that there's room. Your MJ might not be working before then anyway :v:

Edit: as a side note, no, it's not getting 4x4 converted. Maybe in the future? :v:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 11, 2016

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

literally a fish posted:

Is there any harm in just letting the front output yoke freewheel? The driveshaft will need shortening anyway. I'm slightly concerned about clearance; there might not be room for a transfer case, so hold off on grabbing a 4WD until we've confirmed that there's room. Your MJ might not be working before then anyway :v:

Edit: as a side note, no, it's not getting 4x4 converted. Maybe in the future? :v:
No, it's how a lot of 4x4 guys get home.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Wouldn't the front output just not turn if the transfer case is in 2 HI??

BTW this whole scenario is awesome

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

One issue- the NP26whatever transfer cases you most often find behind LM7s kinda like making little holes in their housings and dumping the oil out. It's not an end of the world type thing (it's like a $400 repair if you DIY and replace all the bearings and stuff) but it's enough of a potential PITA that on a conversion like this I'd just seek out a 2wd transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Interesting, why do they do that? Chain stretch?

There is probably floor space (the tcase generally slopes downward from the trans on the driver side of this era of truck, and 4x4 swaps consist of swapping in the truck parts, welding hangars on the frame, and bolting on a truck axle) but yeah, it is worth checking.

The yoke can freewheel all day if needed, it doesn't spin in 2hi anyways as noted.

I'll hold off till floor space is verified and/or a good 2wd donor appears.

E: yeah, I was afraid of the 4wd to 2wd shaft swap being that involved. loving auto trans designers...

kastein fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 11, 2016

• Locked thread