Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

They would still need a warrant to search a non-citizens home, which is moot anyways with the case here as unless I'm mistaken the home owner in this situation was a citizen, they were there for her niece.

They don't need a warrant to search anyone's home if the homeowner invites or even allows law enforcement to enter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

If many of these asylum claims are being brought forward due to "gang violence" those generally don't do well at all in the courts, since it is not enough to just prove that a person is in fear of their life because of gang-related crime. The individual would have to prove that they fear for their life because of persecution on the grounds of things like religion, race, or political nature to qualify. If you don't have any attorney representation this is going to be probably impossible to do.

Right. Asylum claims based on criminal activity alone almost always fail. The person seeking asylum must prove that local government is somehow negligent or collaborating with the criminals targeting the asylum seeker. I've seen all kinds of I-589 claims from Mexicans and Salvadorans fail because they didn't demonstrate any link between maras and local government.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SallyStruthers posted:

Probably we should allow claims of asylum for situations like the ones these people faced and are going to be facing again, which we do not currently. Probably we shouldn't treat people making a claim of asylum by throwing them into prison for a few months. Probably we should behave humanely, and also overthrow those who find excuses for inhumane behavior.

It's embarrassing when someone as pretentious as you makes such a clueless comment.

Claims of asylum are allowed for a year after an individual enters the US, affirmatively or defensively, unless the individual has been convicted of an aggravated felony. The 589 is one of the only immigration forms that is free. An asylum application does not result in the claimant being thrown in prison. Asylum is inherently a humanitarian benefit.

Your shitpost is empty of anything but "let's give everyone with Big Sad Eyes or Magnificent Ethnic Headgear asylum because, like, reasons." Go ahead, get Mad and do the Fierce now and threaten me with death.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I think ICE might be stepping up compliance with the Morton Memo from 2011, prioritizing removal cases and pushing prosecutorial discretion and pretermination of non-priority removal cases.

• Locked thread