Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jimbozig posted:

And here's the link to the updated expansion classes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqc4jie56xdjj4r/StrikeExpansionPlaytestMaterial.pdf?dl=0

Sorry I don't have a changelog in there. I didn't keep it up and it's been ages anyway, so I'm not concerned about someone still playing the same character needing to find what changed. Lots of little wording tweaks.

Anyone reading it, please check out the two versions of Battle Trance Berseker and let me know your thoughts.

Hey, is there an updated version of the expansion playtest? I will be doing the session 0 for a Strike! campaign next weekend and I am wondering if I should expand my players' selection with stuff from there, since we've had a couple of one-shots and they're already familiar with some of the core classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jimbozig posted:

No update. Go for it and use those. Tell me what people choose and how they like it.

I've gotten back into playing and testing, but it's other stuff instead of those classes. I felt like I was just mentally stuck and unable to get myself to write the main Strike expansion, but I've been able to get going on Kazzam, which now has 8 (soon to be 10) classes statted up for level 1, all compatible with Strike!, and revised Roles that will probably be backported to Strike when I do a second edition. I'm hoping to carry my momentum from Kazzam into finishing the expansion stuff to put out with a revised 2nd edition or into working on UFO Strike! I don't have as much writing time as I used to or as I'd like, but at least I am writing seriously again and making steady progress.

Cool, thanks for the reply!

What is Kazzam, by the way?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jimbozig posted:

Kazzam is the next thing I'm going to publish. It's based on Strike! Kazzam is a wizarding sport that works like Strike! combat, but with some extra "sport" elements taken from video games.

Sounds like fun! Do let us know when you can share more details on how matches of Kazzam work.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jimbozig posted:

What sort of help do you mean? If you mean playtesting, I do have some stuff that I'd like tested. The revised roles I'm using for Kazzam should replace regular Strike! roles in the 2nd edition. They are being playtested now as part of Kazzam, but testing them in the context of original Strike! combat and classes would be useful, too. The original Strike! classes will be revised, too, and some of the role changes (especially to Blaster) will allow me to do things I couldn't do before, like have AoE class powers in any class.

I've also got some non-combat stuff that could be tested, including a totally new take on Conditions and some tweaks to Costs generally. And I've got some subsystems that need external playtesting to see if they make sense to people who aren't me and the Strike! braintrust.

So if you (or anyone else) wants to try out some new stuff in a Strike! game, just PM me or let me know in this thread and I can spend some time cleaning stuff up and putting together a playtest package.

I am down for it, I am about to start a Strike! campaign, so I should have the opportunity to test stuff that would be applied to second edition. Caveat is that my Strike! experience before this is three one-shots, so I can't say my group or I have actual mastery of the 1E system. On the other hand, we do have a lot of experience with my own homebrewed system that's in perpetual alpha, so dealing with rules in draft format shouldn't be a shock.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jimbozig posted:

Ignite Memories and ZearothK, check your PMs - I sent you the link to the updated Costs and Roles playtest package yesterday.

Great! PM Sent.

I saw it, thanks! I am going to give it a proper read through on THU when my schedule eases up a bit.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am going to be the voice of dissent here and say that you can totally improvise encounters mid-session for systems with a tactical battle layer. On virtual tabletop I just take ten and tell the players to draw the battle map based on my description while I draft the opposition, before the plague era we did likewise with the battle map, except the players used my random assortment of Lego blocs.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Countblanc posted:

Updated the OP with a handy new link, a spreadsheet by Gort with all of Strike's default monsters broken down by type (stooge/goon/etc) for easy copy/pasting!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pYbn7kC4I8Zhn0xVCW0neYhBaD4ElJHu/edit#gid=442148478

Holy poo poo, that's an awesome resource! Thanks a lot, dudes!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gort posted:

Monsters spreadsheet is now up to level 9, as my current campaign just hit level 8.

I get the feeling I'll get it finished in time for 2nd edition to make it all obsolete

This is beautiful. I am not running a Strike! game right now, but I am 200% using it for when we return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I gave my players a surprise round once in Strike! and it was probably the easiest encounter they've ever had at my table.

I am not sure there are official rules for it, but in retrospect it would have been better to resolve the ambush in the narrative layer and, if there are still enough enemies standing for it to be worth a full tactical battle, change the encounter to match the results, including player positioning.