Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm considering letting my players dual-class (but single role) in my upcoming games, since I plan to run a lot of difficult and gimmicky fights and I want everyone to have plenty of options to engage them, but I'm not sure exactly how I want to do that. My thoughts at present are:

---A character may only have one of Mark of Death, Focus, and Archery Style. If the character is a Martial Artist, they may have none of these. I'm doing this to try to prevent stacking passives. I'm not concerned about Shapechanger and Summoner passives since you have to spend an Encounter Power to activate them.
---Characters still only get one Encounter Power of each tier. If the character is a Necromancer or Duelist, they also get Command Undead and/or Duel as an additional Encounter Power (or any others I'm forgetting that work like this).
---If the character is none of Necromancer, Duelist, Archer, or Martial Artist, the character receives an extra Feat, since you aren't taking any major passives.

Is there anything else I should note in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

homullus posted:

I think you're inviting trouble for no good reason by letting them multiclass, and would be far better off letting them choose their class by day or by combat. But hey, good luck.

Why?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I was kinda hoping for specifics, not aphorisms. None of the classes give access to all of their powers for any given character. In fact they generally give no more than half, total. I don't think that concern is particularly valid.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 6, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Countblanc posted:

As a peak behind the curtain, a while back Jim told me that class features were designed to add 1-2 damage every round (depending on what level it is). Obviously many features like Bombardier's different explosion shapes/methods are much harder to quantify, but that was the guiding principle. Feats may not measure up to the strength of the powered up features, so watch for that if any of your players opt for that option.

Ok, I'll take a look at that, thanks.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Scyther posted:

I don't know about you but having to wait for one person to play some dumb minigame on their turn doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me.

Yeah, this was basically the problem with the gambler class in an otherwise decent Final Fantasy game I've played.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

FFD6? It was flawed but playable and I had fun with it.

Nah, a system called SeeD that disappeared with the death of wikispaces. It's too bad, because it was fairly good.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Sounds seminal.

Sorry.

Thank you, but this thread has already been reported recently.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Maleketh posted:

You can still find it if you know where to look.

Awesome, thanks!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Signal posted:

How good is Strike at dealing with a more ranged-favorable setting like most scifi? It seems like a lot of different classes hinge pretty heavily on melee combat.

The Exposed optional rule allows for that, though you might give all melee classes the Sprinter feat for free to help balance them with Ranged classes.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

You know what? I'd love to get more people pledging there. So, for a limited time only, any goons here who get on the Patreon now can have it work retroactively, getting the new adventure and the vehicles expansion for free!

I just signed up this morning :v:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Selachian posted:

I'm curious about the wealth rules. Would it be workable to expand it out to more than just four levels? I ask 'cause I'm batting around the idea of using Strike! to run XCrawl, where getting loot and prizes is a major part of the game and I wouldn't want the PCs to climb to super-rich too quickly.

Make them all start out as poor, and let them find cash tokens they can expend to boost their wealth levels. You'll still need to come up with things to spend it on, of course.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Scyther posted:

e: Oh, and I had YET another question, if a monster has the Resilent trait (not to be confused with the Resilent feat) which allows it to save at the beginning of its turn, and it has been inflicted with Ongoing Damage (save ends) can it make its save before the damage, potentially negating it?

I'm about 95% certain that is the intention, yes.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Looks fun! I'm about a week and a half out on my own Strike campaign, and hope someone picks it up.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
You really shouldn't be loving with the damage too much in Strike. 1 point is a massive increase or decrease.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Single form shapeshifter probably does need something. There's not a lot to recommend it tbh.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I've been finding that I can ramp up the suggested difficult of encounters quiet a bit without it becoming a problem. Last session I ran a combat of a six regular monster on four player encounter where the monsters had a substantial home field advantage and another with a solo Champion that was invincible to the damage of any attack that didn't have Advantage. I was a bit worried about it going in, but my players were able to take both out pretty reasonably.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CaPensiPraxis posted:

It's worth noting that the players in your game are fairly more powerful than regular pcs under houserules.

Only mildly. You have more options, but not dramatically more power. To be clear, all the players are dual-classed, but could only take one class with a passive ability like Archer style or Duelist Focus.

e: Their encounter powers share slots at each level too, so no additional encounter powers per battle.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 30, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Scyther posted:

Anyone have thoughts on using titans or champions against only three PCs, while maintaining a reasonably fair challenge and not making combat drag?

They'll probably be fine. Like I said above, I've made battles substantially more difficult than recommended and my players have been coming out just fine.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Edit: while I'm here, I'll tease a thing - who here likes Monster Hunter, or at least the idea of Monster Hunter?

I like it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My Strike campaign fell through because of player scheduling problems, so I'm cleaning up a couple of my non-standard encounters so other people might be able to use them. The first is here.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The second of my monsters is up, starting on Page 4. I actually did use this one, it was a ton of fun to run. It requires a lot of tactical play both from the GM and players.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Traps... I don't know! I don't know what people want from traps. Non-monster combat hazards? Dungeon puzzles?

Can you refer me to a book from another game that has really good traps?

The only way I've ever had fun running traps was 'you have two minutes to talk out/describe a creative solution or cool scene for avoiding/disabling this trap'. I'd ask them to roll the relevant skill if I didn't think the solution/scene was good enough. If they took too long or failed the roll, they took damage/poison/whatever.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Countblanc posted:

And any other thoughts people have are welcome! If you're currently running/participating a game and are comfortable seeing how it goes, we'd appreciate letting your players have an extra at-will where applicable (so not Shapechangers obviously) just to see how things feel and telling us about it. Even theorycraft/tummyfeels are welcome though.

I ran the first about 4 levels of a double-classed game, where each player got powers from two different classes, though could benefit from the passive of only one class, and still only got one encounter power use at each level slot per fight, to be used for either their of their class' encounter powers. It worked pretty well, and I only had to make encounters slightly harder to compensate.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gort posted:

2. We had three characters - a martial artist/defender, a wizard/leader and a blitzer archer/striker. By the higher levels, the damage the former two characters were doing was barely worth writing down. It was actually annoying as a GM to write down the 1 damage the martial artist was automatically doing with her stance, and the wizard's guaranteed 3 damage felt pathetic to everyone involved. Maybe a bit of a boost for the non-damage roles is in order? Even if it means weakening their primary role

I feel like it's more a problem that Striker is too powerful, especially once they get to +2 damage/hit. There's a reason Defender got nerfed from Resist 2 at level 4.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I really like Kits, they make out of combat stuff feel much more character focused and unique. I stopped using the 'awesome points' too, because in all three games I've been in they just don't get used. I haven't really used Chase or Team Conflict enough to have a serious opinion on them, but then again, I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not using them.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rurea posted:

Player Hitpoints: Do they ever increase? We started at level 1 and by the end I leveled them all to level 2, but I'm worried as I start increasing the encounter difficulty the badguys are going to start hitting like trucks.

You get more ways of pinning enemies down and stopping damage. You have to be more tactical about doing this as you level.

Rurea posted:

Miss Tokens - I forgot many times to keep track of these. Any suggestions?

Give your players literal tokens.

Rurea posted:

Miss Triggers - For monsters, should these be happening on EVERY miss? Or is it just a thematic/time appropriate thing?

Elites or Champions should be getting miss effects or role actions to make them more threatening. Normal enemies, just use them thematically mostly.

Rurea posted:

Items: My players are all pretty big nerds and we've all played our share of video games, so maybe it's the Skyrim/Fallout mindset that needs to be changed, but they were constantly scouring rooms and buildings for supplies and weapons and things but I didn't want to overload them so early with stuff. Plus, I'm not sure if I should be giving them weapons that affect combat stats? Any advice would be appreciated.

Items should be A) limited use, B) once per battle/session, or C) very, very limited in scope. Some combat items I've used: a demon in a bottle that you can use once per battle as an Assess action, and which always gives seven questions, but one answer is a lie. A once per battle life-link wand that makes you and one monster either Vulnerable 1 or Resist 1 against each others attacks. Bracelet that makes you always succeed on saves against Disarm and Weaken. Out-of-combat items are easier: they can make you skilled in something you aren't skilled at, give you an extra trick, or give you advantage in a limited situation.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

How easy is combat to learn? Do people fall victim to analysis paralysis like in 4e?

It's far simpler than 4e, to the point that I actually gave my players more combat options, since I've felt them a bit limited when I played.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I've never had a problem with it so A

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hey, if you're thinking about updating the physical books, I'm going to go ahead and talk about my pet issue of 'Single-form Shapeshifter is a bad choice'.

--If you don't use Rally or sacrifice a higher level encounter power, you trade two forms worth of potential versatility for zero benefit.

--With the exception of Reach, the single-form buffs are really situational and/or underwhelming. Virtually every form passive is better than than the single-for buffs, and giving up access to two of those for maybe some Reach isn't a good trade-off.

--Single-form Shapeshifter has to spend two Encounter powers just to have more tactical options than a Basic class. They have fewer options than any class except maybe an Archer that doesn't pick Trick Arrow.

Honestly outside of a Defender super gimmick (Huge and Long-Reach feats, +size/+reach single-form buffs for a hilarious 72 threatened squares as early as level 3), I can't imagine why you would even mechanically want to go for a Single-form Shifter. Maybe someone else knows some secret I don't, but I've taken to warning my players away from it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

You are trading potential versatility and potential options for actual bonuses. A single-form Form of the Bull shifter is strictly better than a multi-form shifter in Form of the Bull. It's not a whole ton better because then it would make it hard for anyone to pick multi-form without feeling like they're giving up the best stuff.

You only get those 'actual' bonuses once you've payed an additional encounter power. Sacrificing your versatility by itself gives no benefit. Single-form Shifters are paying two separate opportunity costs (start-of-battle versatility AND an encounter power) for a not-particularly-impressive bonus. My proposed simple fix is

---Single-Form Shifters can choose one of their special buffs when they first transform, as well as any time they spend an additional encounter power on 'transforming' again.
---Make the +1 size buff grant allies full cover, like the Buddy version of that buff.

That's really it. You trade your versatility for a different, lesser (but stacking) kind of versatility, instead of for the privilege of spending additional resources to get what you already paid for. I don't really think it's the best possible solution, but it's easy and bandaids the issue well enough that I wouldn't warn my players away from the option.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The Speak with Dead combat effect could easily be reflavoured as just draining energy from a defeated foe.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

"You get Advantage and a free Assess action as if taken by the victim" would probably be a more clearly combat-limited way to do it, certainly.

Or, 'You get advantage and may ask one question from the Assess pool." which I think is clearer

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also, I feel that, with reskinning in tactical combat, your tactical combat skin should be informed by the skills you've picked. If I ask a player, 'Ok so you're a bombardier mechanically, what the RP for that' and they say 'Fire magic' and then I look at their skills and there's no Fire Magic skill or similar, I'm going to ask them to take it/work out a different skin/come up with a reason they can only use their powers in combat.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How does diagonal movement work in Strike! or is it GM discretion?

I was going to assume 4E style "first diagonal costs 1, second 2, third 1, etc." but some of this stuff seems like it might make more sense if it always only costs 1.

1 movement per space, omnidirectional, unless I'm seriously mistaken.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Moriatti posted:

Is there any rule of thumb for converting 4e monsters to Strike! monsters? Any pitfalls I should be worried about?

Take the most defining features of the monster, and pick out a rule for each that works in Strike. I'm up for making suggestion if you've got anything specific; I like making Strike monsters.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I'm not a big fan on that ot the Archer trick arrow balancing factor being rp based.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Would it feel better if every class had some sort of mechanic tying into appropriately themed goals for downtime instead of just one class? Or do you dislike the interplay between combat and downtime stuff in general?

In general. I've just been houseruling it as 'can't use the same trick arrow twice in a row', like a star magician.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

^^^^ Are you still turning 2s into 5s for that power?

No. It still seemed to work fine.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

narelith posted:

So, Defenders are really powerful. Two Defenders against one target can shut down a pretty large subset of enemies -- basically anyone without melee Bursts, and even then positioning can guarantee fistfuls of 3 Damage against a single target. They're also way tougher to kill than anyone else in a given party, particularly with Toughness.

So I was surprised to find that the Opportunity rules state that you can take an Opportunity against one target once per *turn*, not round. Against Champions, this could quickly become absurd. If you had to roll to hit with Opportunities, that'd be different -- but I support them being a guaranteed form of retribution. It's part of the deterrent they provide.

Still, like with "end of encounter" Ongoing Damage, I felt like Opportunities stack inappropriately against Champions, and so I'm sticking with what I assumed as a house rule: one Opportunity per target, per round. This *sounds* bad for the Duelist / Defender, but putting it in perspective, this is 3 automatic Damage without an action. There's a class that can spend its Attack Actions doing that.

Otherwise, Strike! is still working out swimmingly for me. It's a fantastic system.

ed: Am I missing something, by the way? For GMs, how do you generally handle Defender players, particularly two at once? The other GM that I talk to agrees Defenders are pretty strong, so other perspective would be nice.

There are a ton of statuses that shut down opportunities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tias posted:

I feel like some of the skills contained in the Archer, Bombardier and Blaster classes should be available to all the player characters, because they in a modern/sci-fi game are keyed more to equipment. For instance, use a medpack, apply a healing effect, throw a smoke grenade, place a smoke wall, so on.

Just reskin the basic classes, then let each character take a loadout of 2 items that give an alternate At-Will as an Encounter power. Something like:

---Frag Grenade: Once per battle, make a Ranged attack with Range 5, Burst 1, Damage 2, Effect: Destroy any terrain providing Cover or Concealment inside the Zone.
---Smoke Grenade: Once per battle, create a Burst 1 zone for 1 round within Range 5. Any ranged attacks through the Zone suffer Disadvantage.
---Incendiary Grenade: Once per battle, create a Burst 1 zone for 1 round within Range 5. Any character entering or ending their movement within the Zone suffers 2 damage.
---EMP Grenade: Once per battle, create a Burst 1 zone withing Range 5. All enemies inside the Zone are Distracted (save ends). Robotic targets are also Dazed (save ends).
---Armor Vest: Once per battle, as a Reaction, halve the damage your character suffers from an Attack.
---Hazmat Vest: Once per battle, when you fail a Save, pass the Save instead.
---Tracer Rounds: Once per battle, gain Advantage to an Attack roll.
---AP Rounds: Once per battle, after hitting with an Attack, inflict Vulnerable 1 (save ends) on a target of that attack.
---Medikit: The character may use their Rally power on an adjacent ally.
---Battle Scanner: Once per battle, when you make an Assess action, automatically roll a 6 for number of questions.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 16, 2018