Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

*Any new frequently asked questions, notable news item, or good sales on PS cards/codes will be posted up here if I'm around.*

This thread is for discussions about everything involving games that are available on PlayStation Store of PSN. This isn’t going to be as in-depth and detailed as PS Store threads in the past, but hopefully this will be a good source of information for you.

Use this thread for:
  • Notable release dates, sales, and price-drops on games on PSN, along with the occasional price glitch making an item free or super-cheap.

• Sales on PS funding and PS+ cards/codes. Sales are rare and are usually 5-10% off or Buy 1 Get 1 10% Off. I would not expect to see $30 1-year PS+ codes ever again.

• Recommendations and opinions for games on PSN. Please say what region you are in and how much you want to spend, as different regions have different selections of games and prices.

• Checking whether or not PSN is down for everyone or just you. Known planned downtime due to maintenance will also be posted here.

• Imports. The PS Import thread was archived due to lack of activity, so go ahead and use this thread for all that. Almost all new PS import games have a download version on PSN now, though that might not be the best option for everyone.

Updates and summaries of PS stores

Instead of 1 or 2 updates a week, PS Store now has multiple updates a week. Major updates still occur on Tuesdays for the NA region and Wednesdays in EU region.

PS Blogs in NA and EU regions put up weekly posts of new games and sales, but they usually miss games released outside of Tuesday/Wednesday.

The webstore at https://store.playstation.com does a decent job showing off new releases and sales, and is the recommended place to view the store.

Not much has changed with PS4 store. A new PS+ section was added to the PS4 system menu bar to easily access PS+ subscription information, notable PS+ discounts, and free games. Some of the front pages in PS4 store now have navigation buttons for specific sections in the store.

PlayStation Now, the streaming rental game service, is still up and running. A subscription option was added in last year, but the subscription tier doesn't have access to all games in PS Now. As of this posting, only PS3 games are available to stream, and there are no signs of any other PS platform games (PS4/PS2/PSone) to be added in.

There have been many app updates to the PS3 store app, but the drat thing still runs sluggish, no sorting options were ever added to the download list, and it still crashes to XMB without warning. Don’t use it unless you have to. An alternative way to access the PS3 download list without crashes can still be found under PSN on the XMB -> Account Management -> Transaction Management -> Download List.

Vita store is still there. Nothing really changed on that, except for the PS Mobile store section being removed last summer. The download list through the Vita store app still displays PS3 items with no way to filter them out.

PSP store is either closed or will be closed within the next year. If you need to buy or download games for PSP, do it from the webstore, then transfer them through the MediaGo companion program on PC. PSP games are also still available to purchase, download, and transfer from PS3.

PS Mobile store closed down last year and all PS Mobile games are no longer available to purchase. However, PS Mobile activations can still be enabled for some on Vita by launching a PS Mobile game that was purchased before the shutdown. This won't work if you're transferring PS Mobile games from one Vita handheld to a new one. As of now January 2016, Vita handhelds can be activated for PS Mobile games in this way until the end of February. After that, activations for PS Mobile games will no longer be possible.

Other things

https://psprices.com is a good site to view and track sales on games, past and present, in most major regions. The site also offers email reminders whenever a game goes down in price. As of now, the site only tracks games and bundles, not add-ons and expansions, and not all regions are covered.

A script to sort and parse the download list in the webstore is freely available. After logging into the webstore, you can either use the Chrome extension linked on the homepage, run a userscript or bookmarklet, or enter this script into the URL bar:
code:
javascript:$.getScript("//repod.github.io/psdle/psdle.js");void(0);
Type in "javascript:" in case the browser cuts it off. Click on the blue logo after entering in the link to start the script.

Wishlists were added to the webstore last year. As of now, wishlists are only curated lists with no way to buy stuff on other peoples’ wishlists, making them almost pointless.

PS2 games for PS4 are slowly coming out. Unlike PS2 Classics for PS3, these PS2 games have trophies. Unfortunately, there are no plans to offer discounts on PS4 versions of PS2 games if you own the PS3 version. Also, there are no plans to offer PS2 disc playability on PS4.

Free monthly game offers with PS+ are still around, with at least 2 games for PS4, 2 games for PS3, and 2 games for Vita. More might be available for a platform if a PS+ game on another platform has a cross-buy offer. Monthly games are rotated every first Tuesday of the month in both NA and EU regions.
The quality of the PS+ free games have arguably gone down in the last year, but there still have been some gems released, depending on your tastes.
For some unknown reason, PlayStation has recently promoted the free PS4 PS+ games only, and no longer promotes the free PS3 and Vita PS+ games, even though those games are still given out. Hopefully, this doesn't mean they are going to quietly cut down the amount of free games in the future.

(images found on PS Taiwan Facebook account by "iimAn", text added in by me)

Link to PS Store 2015 thread

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
PlayStation Plus free games and services FAQ:

Are these free games really free?
Kind of. They are free to download and play as long as you are subscribed to PS+. If the subscription expires, the games will be locked and unplayable. If you re-subscribe after an expired sub, the games will work again.

Any other catches?
Every time you start or renew a PS+ sub, automatic renewal for PS+ is turned on, even if you turned it off before. If you don't want that, you'll have to turn it off by finding PlayStation Plus in the Services List, then click on "Cancel Automatic Renewal"

Where to find Services List:
  • On PS4:
    PS+ on front menu bar -> Manage Membership in the upper right corner.
    Also found under Settings -> PSN -> Account Information -> Services List
  • On PS3:
    PSN -> Account Management -> Transaction Management -> Services List
  • On Vita and PSTV:
    Start the PS Store app, tap "..." in the lower right corner, select Services List

What about games that I bought with a PS+ discount? Do those games stop working if my PS+ subscription expires as well?
Anything purchased with a PS+ discount is yours to keep, even after a PS+ subscription expires.

I got a PS+ trial code but it won't let me use it without a credit card number. Is there any way around this?
No. However, you can delete the card info and turn off automatic renewal immediately after redeeming the trial.

I have a PS+ trial and put in a credit card, but it still can't be redeemed.
Trials are only usable on PSN accounts that don't have and never have had PS+ before. Trials used to be redeemable for everyone, but that ended due to abuse of PS+ free trial giveaways.

Do the free games download automatically to my PS device or do I have to download them manually?
You will have to download them manually. You can start automatic download to those devices by claiming them on the webstore and adding them to the download queue.
New on the PS4 store: You can now select "Add to Library" on the PS4 PS+ game listing and not have to start a download to claim it.

How do I know I got the free games linked to my account?
Make sure you complete the transaction for the free game:
Select the free game for download.
A prompt will warn you about the game only being free with an active PS+ subscription. Confirm the warnings.
After that, the game is yours for as long as you have PS+. You'll know you've done this right when the game appears on the top of your download list. For most games, it will also be in the store with a shopping bag icon or Download button.

What if I delete the free game from the system storage? Do I have to pay for the game if I want to get it from the store again?
Any game that you've obtained for free can be downloaded again for free as long as you have an active PS+ membership, even if the game is no longer on the system storage and/or the game is no longer available for free in the PS+ section of the store.

If your PS+ subscription expired and you don't want to subscribe again, you will have to pay for those games.

What if I get the free game, but I didn't download it? Do I lose access to it after it has been removed from the free section?
As long as you have completed the transaction for the game, it will still be available as a free download for you. Just look for the game with the shopping bag icon, "Purchased" text, and/or Download button in the store and download it from there. You can also dig through your download list to download it again.

If your PS+ subscription expired and you don't want to subscribe again, the free games will disappear from the download list.

If you subscribe again after an expired sub, the free games will reappear on the top of the download list.

What if I want to buy the free game while still subscribed to PS+, so I can keep it after my PS+ subscription expires?
This is not possible.

If I let my PS+ subscription expire, will the PS+ free games still work?
No.

Then if I resubscribe, will my free games work again? Will I get access to the free games from the previous subscription?
Yes, if you stopped, then resubscribed to PS+, you'll get the previous PS+ free games you got in the past back in the download list. PS+ free games already installed on your system will start working again, as long as you connect online to renew the PS+ license with them.

How do I find out when the free games will stop working?
  • Through the webstore:
    Click on this link and log in with your PSN account. Any games that you obtained for free through PS+ will show the expiration date next to it in the media list.
  • On PS4:
    Highlight the game, then press Option and select Game Information.
    You can also check this by going to the PS+ section of the left of front menu bar, then go to Manage Membership in the upper right corner.
  • On PS3:
    Highlight the game, then press Triangle and select Information. The expiration date will appear near the bottom under "Expires".
  • On Vita:
    Hold your finger on the game icon until "..." appears on its upper right spot. Tap on "...", then Information. The expiration date will appear under "Expires".

I want to extend my PS+ active subscription. If I buy another subscription, will it erase my old subscription and replace it with the new time, or will it stack on the current subscription?
It will stack. (ex.: You have 4 months left and you buy 1-year PS+. You'll now have 16 months of PS+)

If I have PS+ for PS3, do I have to pay for another PS+ subscription for Vita and PS4 with the same PSN account?
No. The PS+ subscription applies to all 3 PS platforms. There are no additional charges for accessing PS+ on another PS platform with the same PSN account.

Do I have to own the PS platform to claim those free games? (ex.: Own a PS4 to claim PS4 games?)
No. All games can be claimed through the webstore, even if you don't own a PS device for a particular game.
Links to all monthly game:
NA store
EU store
JP store

Can I transfer the PS+ subscription to another PSN account?
No, subscriptions cannot be transferred.

Can I share PS+ accounts?
Yes, an account with PS+ can be shared just like a normal account.
The only part of PS+ that cannot be shared is the Automatic Update function. That can only be linked with one PS3, one Vita, and one PS4 system.

Do I have to be signed in to PSN to play the free games?
No.
There is one exception: The only time you will need to sign in is if you let the PS+ subscription expire and then subscribe again before playing the game. The game will be updated with a new license and expiration date.

Can other accounts on my PS4 or PS3 play the free games?
Yes, as long as the PS4 or PS3 profile associated with the PSN account with the PS+ subscription is on the same system.
Note: cloud storage cannot be shared across different profiles on the same PS4 or PS3 system.

If I get PS+, does that mean I can get all the free stuff from other regions?
No, the subscription is only tied to the region that the PSN account was registered in.

If I get PS+ now, will I get all of the games that were free in the past?
No.

When do the free games leave the free section? When do the new free games show up?
In both the NA and EU regions, they will be rotated in and out on the first Tuesday of every month.

I saw a picture saying that there were over 64 games with PS+, but I only see 6. Was I lied to?
No, you're not going to get 64+ games immediately when you first subscribe. That picture showed how many free games you could collect over a 1-year PS+ subscription. The rate of PS+ free games given out is around 6 unique games (2 PS4, 2 PS3, 2 for Vita) per month with no repeats. The longer you are subscribed, the more free games you will have. Don't count on any of these games coming back as repeats.

If there are no repeats, is there an entire list of games that were already free with PS+?
Yes, right here: NA region | EU region

Do I really need PS+ for PS4 multiplayer?
Yes, PS+ is required for online multiplayer for PS4.
On the bright side, online multiplayer on PS3 and Vita will still remain free, PS4 free-to-play games don't require PS+, and one PS4 account with PS+ can give online multiplayer access to other accounts on the same PS4.

Wait, I don't have to get PS+ for PS4 online multiplayer for everyone? How?
On the PS4 profile with PS+, go to Settings -> PSN -> Activate as Your Primary PS4 -> Activate. As long as that account is registered on the PS4, all other profiles on PS4 can access online multiplayer.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 6, 2016

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
PSN FAQ

This thread will primarily focus on two major regions:
North America (NA): USA, Canada, and Mexico. Also includes most of Latin America.
Europe (EU): Most of Europe. Also includes Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India, and the Middle East.

I will be focused more on the PlayStation Stores in United States and United Kingdom. If anything appears outside of those two stores that haven’t been mentioned, feel free to share it here.

The PlayStation Store can be accessed from these devices through an internet connection for the purchase of the listed content:
  • Any PC or smart device through the webstore found at http://store.playstation.com. All available content can be found through the webstore. The webstore can be accessed through the PS4 browser. The webstore cannot be accessed through the PS3. Accessing the webstore through the Vita browser will boot you to the Vita PS Store app.
  • PlayStation 4 for PS4 content, PS2 conversions, PS3 games through PS Now, and videos in the video store.
  • PlayStation 3 for PS3 content, PS3 games through PS Now, PSP content, Vita content, PSone Classics, PS2 Classics, minis, and videos in the video store.
  • PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV for Vita content, PS3 games through PS Now, some PSP content, some PSone Classics, minis, and videos in the video store. The amount of compatible games, including Vita games, is lower for PlayStation TV.

The PlayStation Store now puts up updates multiple times a day. Major updates are done:
  • North American region: Tuesdays between 10am to 2pm Pacific
  • European region: Wednesdays between 12pm to 2pm GMT with the occasional Friday update for UK/Ireland region

Buying items in the PlayStation Store requires a PSN account and funds in the account wallet. You can create an account on any PS device or through this page.

Funding the account wallet is done by
  • Credit/Debit card
  • PayPal. This option is only available in certain North American and European regions. The PayPal account and PSN account must be registered in the same country for it to be used.
  • Mobile billing. This option is only available in certain North American and European regions. Pre-paid mobile accounts cannot be used for this.
  • Voucher codes from PSN pre-paid cards shown above, sold in most stores that sell PlayStation games and some stores with a gift card rack.
    Most regions also have instant codes available through online retailers.

Here are all of the types of content you can find in the PlayStation Store:

• PSN games: Games for PS4, PS3, and Vita that are only available in the PlayStation Store for download. These games vary from small puzzle games to games that were released on Bluray in other regions.
    Occasionally, some games may also be released on physical media after some time. (ex.: Plants vs. Zombies, Back to the Future: The Game)

• Demos: There are 2 types of demos:
    • Standalone demo: A small section of the game to play. This is usually a separate game file from the full game version. Sometimes these demos are pulled from the store for unknown reasons.
    • Trial + Key: The demo file is actually the entire game, but only a small part of the game is playable as a demo. Buying the game in the PlayStation Store just downloads a very small unlock file or “key” that unlocks the trial into a full game. (ex.: Mega Man 9, only one stage is playable as a demo, unlock file opens up the rest of the game.)

• Full Games: PS4 or PS3 games previously released on Bluray discs and made available as a download.

• PSone Classics: PSone games that can be downloaded and played. These games use the same save files as PSone disc games played on PS3. PSone save files can also be transferred from PSone memory cards with the PS3 USB memory card adapter.
    Playable on PS3 and PSP.
    Most, but not all, are playable on Vita.

• PS2 Classics: PlayStation 2 games that can be downloaded and played on PS3. PS2 Classics uses its own save files and won’t work with PS2 save files. There is a small selection of PS2 Classics available as of now.
    Playable on all PS3 systems, even those without PS2 disc playback support. PS2 Classics are not playable on PS4.

• PS2 conversions (aka PS2-on-PS4, no official name): Similar to PS2 Classics, except they have trophies and are only playable on PS4. As of now January 2016, there are no plans to offer discounts on a PS2 conversion from owning a PS2 Classic on PS3.
    Only playable on PS4.

• PSP games: PSP games that can be downloaded and played, both games released on UMD, and games only available as a download. Not all games previously released on UMD are in the PlayStation Store.
    Playable on PSP.
    Most, but not all, are playable on Vita.
    PSP games can be downloaded, but are not playable, on PS3.

• Vita games: Vita games, both games released on physical cards, and games only released as a download. All Vita games released on physical cards will also be in the PlayStation Store on the same release day.
    Playable on Vita.
    Vita games can be downloaded, but are not playable, on PS3.

• minis: Small games with small prices and file sizes under 100 MB.
    Playable on PSP.
    Most, but not all, are playable on PS3 and Vita.

• PlayStation Now games: games streamed through PlayStation's new online game streaming service. As of now, only some PS3 games are available to stream, and only a few countries can access PS Now. The service will spread to other regions in the future.
    Available on PS4, PS3, Vita with the PS Now app, and compatible HDTVs, smartphones, and tablets that support PS Now.

• Add-ons for PS4, PS3, Vita, and PSP games: Extra content for games. Some are free, most are priced. (ex.: multiplayer map packs, new missions, songs, characters)
    • Online Passes: These add-ons enable the online multiplayer section of a game and may include bonus items. A few older games use Online Passes, and those games purchased new always come with a free voucher code for the Online Pass. As of now January 2016, no newly released game has online passes anymore.
      Protip: If an Online Pass is downloaded on a PS3, every account on that PS3 can play online multiplayer of that game.
    • Season Passes: A bundle of add-ons sold at a cheaper price than buying each add-on individually. These are usually sold on the same day as the game's release day and released before all add-ons are made available. When you have the Season Pass and an add-on becomes available, the add-on will appear in the PS store as a free download.

• Avatars: Small icons from video game art and other themes for your PSN profile, in case none of the system avatars interest you.
    Custom avatars cannot be uploaded.
    As of November 2015, avatars now be purchased for PS4 along with PS3. However, avatars can only be accessed either through the PS4 store or PS3 store, not both.

• Themes: A pack of new icons, background and/or key tones for PS4, PS3, Vita, or PSP.
    Two types of themes:
    • Static themes, with wallpapers in the background. All Vita and PSP themes, and some PS4 and PS3 themes are static.
      Individual wallpapers are also available in the PlayStation Store for PS3, some separate from some themes.
    • Dynamic themes, with video or polygon characters in background. Only some PS4 and PS3 themes are dynamic.
    Some themes are free, and others are priced.
    Note: Themes for PS3 are downloaded and installed separately from other PS3 downloads.
    Homemade PS3 and PSP themes can also be found online for free.

• Videos in game store: Most videos in the game store are previews and behind-the-scene videos of games. Most videos are free, few are priced. The webstore has preview videos embedded in the game details pages.

• Videos in video store: Television shows and movies that can be downloaded and viewed on your PS device.
    There are three purchase options:
    • Buy, with no limits on number of viewings.
    • Rent, with these limits on playback: 1st viewing allowed within 2 weeks after rental, all other viewings possible for only 24 hours after 1st playback.
    • Free. Free content is usually trailers or 1st episodes of new seasons on TV.
    Notes: Vita and PSP can only purchase and view standard-definition (SD) videos.
    Videos on PS4 can only be streamed online with no download option.
    Videos on PS3 can be backed up to a FAT32 external drive with sufficient space.
    Videos on PSP can be backed up to a PC through MediaGo.
    Videos on Vita can be backed up either to a PC through Content Manager Assistant or to a PS3 with the same PSN account.

• Subscriptions: Paying to play or access a game or service for a set amount of time. (ex.: DC Universe, PlayStation Plus)

• PlayStation Plus (PS+): VIP access to specialized discounts and online functions.
      Things you get with a PlayStation Plus membership:
      • Free games Selection of free games that changes monthly.
        Note: free games will only function as long as the PS+ membership is active. Expired membership = locked, unplayable game. Locked games can be played again with another PS+ membership.
      • Special discounts for PS+ members only on selected games and add-ons.
        Note: content bought with the PS+ discount will always be playable, even if the PS+ membership expired.
      • Free avatars, themes and add-ons
      • Full game trials In NA and EU, it is a 60-minute trial on some PS3 full games.
      • Early access to betas and some demos
      • Online backup of PS4, PS3, and Vita save files The limits are 3 sets of online space: 10 GB and 1000 files for PS4, and 1 GB and 1000 files for each PS3 and Vita platform.
      • Automatic updates for PS4, PS3 and Vita games, as well as trophy sync, download of items in the webstore's download queue, and recommended downloads. For PS4, only Automatic Update during rest mode is a PS+ feature. Automatic Update when the PS4 is on is available to everyone
      • PS4 online multiplayer access
      . Online multiplayer is still free to access on PS3 and Vita without a PS+ subscription.
      Any listing in the PlayStation Store that has a yellow ✚ icon on it means it either has a discount just for PS+ members, or it can be downloaded for free just for PS+ members.
      PS+ memberships can be purchased either through the PlayStation Store or pre-paid subscription cards sold alongside PSN cards.

• Apps: Most apps are video streaming services. Most are free to download, but some require a subscription outside of PSN. (ex.: NetFlix and Hulu Plus in NA, VidZone and MUBI in EU)

• Betas: Pre-release games released for testing of gameplay and testing of online servers. Betas are rarely open to everyone, but a few have been promoted and released publicly.
    Beta access can be obtained
    • as a private invitation by developers
    • as a bonus from buying or pre-ordering another game
    • from a voucher code given away from some websites
    • through PlayStation Plus

• Music: Soundtracks from video games. Some are free, most are priced.
    Some soundtracks are also available in iTunes.

FAQs:

Accounts and funding:

I forgot my password.
The password can be reset through this webpage.

I don’t want to use a credit card on the PlayStation Store. How do I buy things from the PlayStation Store without a credit card?
  • Use PSN pre-paid cards. Most stores that sell PlayStation games have them.
  • If the options are available in your region, use PayPal or mobile billing. These won't work if those accounts are in different regions than where you PSN account was registered in.
  • In US only:
    If you are too lazy to go to the store for PSN cards, you can buy funding codes instantly from amazon.com:
    $10 PSN code $9.99
    $20 PSN code $19.99
    $50 PSN code $49.99

gamestop.com sells PSN codes as well, but they do not deliver the codes instantly:
    $20 PSN code $20.00
    $50 PSN code $50.00

• In UK only:
    game.co.uk sells "Top Up" PSN codes online:
    Link to Top Up PSN codes on game.co.uk

During account registration, it’s asking for credit card information. I don’t want to enter a credit card. Can I skip this?
Yes, it can be skipped.

Will I get banned for using a fake address or an address that I don’t live at?
No.

I want to use a credit card, but the store won’t accept it. How do I get the store to accept my card?
  • The origin of country of the card must match the country that the PSN account was registered in (US account -> US credit card) If they don’t match, the card won’t be accepted.
  • If the billing address is a military address, it won't be accepted.
  • Try putting in the billing address with no periods or dashes.
  • Try putting in the street name in the first address field and the address number in the second field.
  • If the billing address is an apartment, try putting in the address without the apartment number.
  • Here is a big list of things you could do to get the card to be accepted.
  • If all else fails, either buy PSN codes from Amazon or Gamestop using your card, or use the PayPal or mobile billing option if they are available in your region.

I want to buy something from a PlayStation Store outside of my region. Is there any way to do this?
Yes. Create an account of a region where you want to buy the item from, using a fake address. Then, add funds with PSN cards from the same region and buy the item with those funds.
PSN cards are sold by region and only redeemable in the same region. (ex.: American PSN card can only be redeemed on American PSN) Find an online shop that sells PSN cards of a region that you want items from.
I don’t have a recommendation on whom to go to for this.

I want to buy something under $5 with my credit card, but the store wants to charge me $5. Why?
$5 is the minimum amount that can be spent with a credit card in the store if there is not enough money in the PSN wallet to cover the purchase. It’s probably done to offset merchant fees applied to every credit card transaction. The rest of the money stays to the account wallet.

How do I check how much I have in my account wallet? I don’t see it on the front page of the store.
  • Webstore:
    Log in through the webstore, and the amount will be shown at the top next to your PSN name.
  • PS4 and PS3 stores:
    Select Cart at the top of the screen. On the following screen, the wallet amount will be shown on the right side
  • Vita store:
    Tap on any priced item in the store. On the following purchase confirmation screen, the wallet amount will be shown in the top right corner. Cancel the confirmation to go back to the store

I lost money in my account wallet without spending it!
  • Check your transaction history. Log in here to go straight to Transaction History. Click on any transactions that you don’t recognize.
  • Check your subscriptions.
    On your PS3, log in to PSN, then go to Account Management -> Transaction Management -> Services List.
    On your Vita, stare the PS Store app, tap "..." on the lower right corner then tap Services List.
    Select each service until you see one with “Subscription” listed next to it. Select that service and make sure the status is In Use (No Automatic Renewal). If it doesn’t, select the button “Cancel Automatic Renewal”.
    Note: All subscriptions have automatic renewal turned on by default.
  • Check your PS3 subaccounts, if you have any. Subaccounts can spend money from the wallet of the main account. To disable purchases on subaccounts, set Monthly Spending Limit to 0 under Parental Control in Sub Account Management through the master account.
  • If you are sharing an account, it may have been spent by the other person.
  • If you notice extra charges on you credit card along with a purchase from PlayStation Store, they are usually temporary holds and go away on their own after 2 to 3 days.
Note: Sony considers all transactions as “all sales final”. There is a low chance of getting a refund if something was purchased without your knowledge, though they have been lenient on refunds this past year.

Do any stores have sales on PSN or PS+ cards?
Sales on cards have happened before, but they are very rare. Past sales had the cards discounted at 5% to 10% off.

PlayStation Store and purchases:

Many of these games and add-ons are expensive!
  • :shrug:
  • Some games may get price-drops after some time.
  • Some games may go on sale for a week or two. PS+ members may get deeper discounts in those same sales. There are sales exclusive to PS+ members as well.
  • If you have gift cards from retailers collecting dust or leftover store credit, buy PSN cards with them. Then, buy the items you want with the funds from the PSN cards.
  • Some games on physical media may be re-released with all of its add-ons from the PlayStation Store included. (ex.: LA Noire Complete Collection, Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Collection)
  • Some games may have their physical Bluray/gamecard versions at lower prices at some game retailers.

I can’t get a fast, stable connection with the PlayStation Store.
  • On a PS4:
    Go to Network under Settings and select Test Internet Connection.
    On a PS3:
    Go to Network Settings under Settings of the XMB and select Internet Connection Test.
    On a Vita:
    Start the Settings app, then tap Network, then Internet Connection Test.
    If NAT type is Type 3, then there is a problem with the internet connection involving a router. Usually, this can be solved either by doing one or more of these things:
    • turn on UPnP on the router, if it's available.
    • forward these ports on the router:
      TCP Ports: 80, 443, 465, 983, 3478, 3479, 3480, 5223, 8080 and 10070-10080
      UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, and 10070
    • change a DSL modem into Bridge Mode and allow the router to handle the internet connection.
    • change the router’s local IP address, in case it has the same local IP address as the modem.
  • Pause the download for a few seconds, then resume it. Sometimes, that will get the download speed to go up and stay stable.
  • On PS3, try turning off Media Server Connection under Network Settings.
  • For a wireless connection, many routers around a neighborhood and some household appliances may cause interference and slow connection speeds. Either change the router’s wireless antenna channel to a channel with the least number of users or use a wired connection.
  • For wireless connections, the wireless receiver of the PS systems are weaker than the receivers of other devices. Make sure there are as few obstacles as possible between the wireless access point and the PS3.
  • Occasionally, something very popular is in the PlayStation Store and the servers are being hammered. This usually happens after a store update.
  • Here is a huge FAQ based only on connection issues with PlayStation Store and PSN in case the above solutions don’t work.

I bought and downloaded a game or add-on, but I don’t have anything saved on my PS device. Where did the download go?
  • You could have activated a service, which either unlocks certain items in your game, keeps a counter of consumable items (ex.: points for building up custom player), opens up a part of the store that was previously hidden (ex.: buying an episodic game bundle made by Telltale Games reveals episodes in store for free download), or changes prices of items to something else (ex.: Rockstar Pass changes most LA Noire DLC prices to free). You can view these services on the services list found on all PS platforms.
  • You could have only downloaded an unlock file from a trial + key game. Download the demo of the same game to get full version. You may need to download and install the unlock file again after installing the demo.

There is no video store.
If you are accessing a store outside of your region, you will not see the video/TV sub-sections. Those sections are region-locked by regional origin of IP addresses. You may see video/TV listings on the front page of the store, but selecting those will result in an error.
Also, some regions may not have a video store at all.

I bought something from the PlayStation Store in the past. Now, it’s no longer available in the store. Is there any way to download that item again?
Most of the time, yes. Almost all content taken down in the store will still exist in your download list. Check the download list and keep scrolling down until you find what you were looking for. There is no way to sort the download list, so it may take a bit of time to find what you need.

Is it possible to “gift” a purchase for someone else?
No, it's not possible through the PlayStation Store or any PlayStation website.
In the US, there is an alternative way to send digital items as gifts. gamestop.com, bestbuy.com, and amazon.com sell voucher codes for digital content in the PlayStation Store. The codes can be given out to others. As of now, none of the listed vendors has everything in the PlayStation Store, but gamestop.com has more digital items available for sale than the others.
PSN items on gamestop.com
PSN items on bestbuy.com
PSN items on amazon.com

I bought a physical copy of a game on release day and it came with a PSN code. Entering the code resulted in an error. Did I get a bad code?
  • If the code was for something that should have been available on release day (usually a Tuesday), just wait until the evening for the store update, which also occurs on Tuesday. The code should work after that.
  • If the code says it’s for something in the future (usually a beta access code), hold on to it. The code won’t be activated until whenever the digital item is advertised as available.
  • If the code and game came from a different region than the one registered on your PSN account, it won't work due to regional restrictions.
  • Occasionally, publishers may mess up and give out bad codes or slips with no codes printed on them. Contact customer support of the publisher if the code doesn't work and all of the above already happened.

When I try to log in to the PlayStation Store, it asks to update my system software. I don’t want to do this. Is there any other way I can access the PlayStation Store with outdated system software?
No, and let’s not talk about ways around this.

I have a Vita and I saw this PSP game on someone else’s Vita. When I go to the PlayStation Store through Vita, the PSP game cannot be found. How do I get this PSP game on my Vita?
Access your account though a PS3. Find the PSP game in the PS3 PlayStation Store and download it to the PS3. After that, connect your Vita to the PS3 and start the Content Manager app on the Vita. Use Content Manager to transfer the game, found under "Applications Downloaded on the PS3 System"
This may not always work. A few PSP games cannot be copied to a Vita no matter what.

I want to buy a game on PlayStation Store, but it’s one of those games that use online passes. Do I need to buy an online pass along with the game?
No. The online pass is included with the game.

I bought a game with "cross-buy" which means I was suppose to get multiple versions of it. I don't see the other versions in my download list. Did I get the other versions or not?
  • The cross-buy offer could only make the other versions listed as free downloads in the store instead of automatically adding them to your download list. Double-check the other versions in the store to see if they have been changed to be free to claim.
  • If you are on PS3 or Vita and are looking for the PS4 version, you won't see it. All PS4 downloads will not appear on a PS3 or Vita. The reverse is also true: PS3 and Vita games will not appear in the PS4 library. You can only see all versions through the download list of the webstore.
  • Some cross-buy offers only go one-way. As of now, the only games that do this are PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. Both only give out both versions if you purchase the PS3 version.
  • A few games may only had a cross-buy offer for a limited time and may no longer offer it.

I bought a physical version of a game for cheap, but it was from another region. (NA player buying EU game or vice versa) I downloaded an add-on for the game, but it won’t show up in the game. Why won’t the add-on work?
Almost all games are region-free and can be played on any PS device. However, add-ons from the PlayStation Store of a certain region will only work with games released in that same region. (ex.: UK game will only work with add-ons from UK PlayStation Store)

This PS3 PSN game is forcing me to be logged in to PSN before playing it!
A handful of games have strict DRM that requires the account owner to either be logged in to PSN or have the account password saved on the PS3 for others to access. It also places a 24-hour lock on the game found on any other devices with the same account.
List of games with this strict DRM:
Final Fight: Double Impact
Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2
Warhawk
Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (not in store anymore)

Other things related to PlayStation Store:

I bought a PS3 game and tried to install it. The system says I don't have enough hard drive space, yet my hard drive is not full. How much hard drive space do I need for installations?
For PS3 game installations, the system requires free hard drive space of at least double the size of the installation file. (ex.: 2 GB installation file needs 4 GB of free hard drive space) Vita and PS4 games do not need extra space for installations.

On my PS4, why can't I download all of my old PSN games? I thought PSN games are playable on all PS systems.
PSN games are only playable on the platform they were made for. Some games may have multiple versions released at no additional cost through cross-buy offers.

I got a PlayStation TV and some of my downloaded Vita games won't work. Shouldn't all Vita games work with this?
Unfortunately, no. Due to either licensing, lack of testing by the game developer, or extensive use of the front and rear touchscreens, some Vita games are blocked from being playable on PS TV.
The NA store does provide a section devoted to PSTV-compatible games found here.

On PlayStation Now, I see some PS3 games that I own the download versions of, but it's asking me to pay to play them. Don't I get free access to streaming games if I own the download version?
No. Even though PS Now acknowledges that you own those games, there is no free streaming option if you own the game.

It is still possible to share an account with others?
Yes, but limits on sharing had changed a long time ago.

Starting on November 18, 2011, purchases made in the PlayStation Store can only be on a maximum of 2 activated PS3s and 3 activated portable systems.
PSPs and Vitas share portable activations, and it was raised to 3 from 2 due to the release of PlayStation TV.
PS4 games bought from PlayStation Store can only be on 1 activated PS4, but they can be played on another PS4 system as long as you are logged in to PSN, sort of like a roaming profile.

For purchases made before November 18, 2011, they can still exist on a maximum of 5 PS3s and 5 portable systems.

If you try to manually activate a PSN account on a 3rd or higher PS3 through Account Management, an error message will appear about the 2 device limit.

A roundabout way to activate a 3rd or higher PS3 is to just download anything bought before November 18, 2011 though the Download List to that PS3. The PS3 will be activated before the download starts. This will only work on anything bought before November 18, 2011.

Any attempts to download anything after November 18, 2011 on a 3rd or higher PS3, even after activating it from the method above, will stop and give you the error message about the 2 device limit.

Here is the thread for sharing PSN accounts.

Is it possible to redeem a PSN code without a PS device?
For most codes, yes. Log in through this link to go straight to the code redemption link and enter in the PSN code. If the code is for something to download, the item will go to the top of your download list. After that, go to the download list through the PS device and select the item to download it.
One exception to this are codes for PlayStation Plus. They can only be redeemed on PS systems.

I don’t have internet access on my PS4 or PS3. Can I buy something on someone else’s system, then copy it onto an external drive and transfer it to my system?
No, this is not possible.

I got inFamous as one of the free Welcome Back games back in 2011, but the listing for it locks me out and I don't want to search through the download list to find it.
Go to this secret listing in the webstore and add this to the PS3 download queue. The PS3 will download it the next time you turn it on.
The main listing blocks everyone that claimed the free Welcome Back version, and the Welcome Back listing is hidden away except through the link above.

Links:

PlayStation Blogs, where most of the information for store updates come from.
Most of the blog posts are for promoting PlayStation products, but some interesting news and updates show up from time to time.
US PlayStation Blog
All store update posts on US Blog
EU PlayStation Blog
All store update posts on EU Blog

Online manuals for accessing PlayStation Store on PS devices:
Online manual for PS4 PSN Settings
Online manual for PS3 PlayStation Store
Online manual for PSP PlayStation Store
Online manual for Vita PlayStation Store

Software:
Content Manager Assistant for Vita
MediaGo for PSP (Note: PSP store is no longer accessible through MediaGo)

Sony Entertainment Network / PlayStation Store:
Frontpage of webstore, automatically switches to the region you are connecting from online.
- If you want to access a store of a specific region:
USA store
UK store
Australia store
Japan store (no English)
Hong Kong store
These links will not work on Internet Explorer or Safari.
Make a new PSN account online
Reset password for PSN account

amazon.com PSN codes:
$10 PSN code $9.99
$20 PSN code $19.99
$50 PSN code $49.99
3-month PlayStation Plus code $17.99
12-month PlayStation Plus code $49.99
PSN DLC codes on amazon.com

gamestop.com PSN codes: (note: Codes are not instant! Expect to wait at least a few hours to receive your code)
$10 PSN code $10.00
$20 PSN code $20.00
$50 PSN code $50.00
3-month PlayStation Plus code $17.99
12-month PlayStation Plus code $49.99
PSN DLC codes on gamestop.com, click on PS4, PS3, Vita, or PSP options on left side.

bestbuy.com PSN codes:
PSN DLC codes on bestbuy.com

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lists! Most for NA region unless otherwise noted

List of PS games not on PSN (thanks Univbee!)

History of all free games given out with PlayStation Plus:
- NA region
- EU region

Free stuff in PlayStation Store (thanks MisterAlex!)

PSP games and minis playable on Vita
Some games need to be transferred from a PS3 to Vita.

PSone Classics playable on Vita
Some games need to be transferred from a PS3 to Vita.

Known Vita/PSP/minis games NOT playable on PSTV

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 20, 2016

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I probably forgot something, so I'm keeping this post open...

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Alright, new year, new thread, no dad jokes but a little anime to spice it up.

There was no Drop post on PS Blog. All we know is that Amplitude, Hardware: Rivals, Rebel Galaxy*update and Volume Vita version are coming out this week. There might be another PS2 game on PS4, but I didn't see confirmation of that anywhere.

These are your January 2016 PS+ games, coming this Tuesday:

quote:

PS4 Games:
Grim Fandango Remastered (cross-buy PS4|Vita)
Hardware: Rivals

PS3 Games:
Dragon Age: Origins
Medal of Honor: Warfighter

Vita Games:
Grim Fandango Remastered (cross-buy PS4|Vita)
History: Legends of War: Patton (History: Legends of War in EU)
Nihilumbra
The free offers will be available from January 5 to February 2

This is the last day of Holiday Sale - Week 4 in the NA store until the Tuesday update. This is the last week of Holiday Sale as well.

In the EU store, January Sale is still going on.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 4, 2016

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Yechezkel posted:

Alright, new year, new thread, no dad jokes but a little anime to spice it up.

my man :respek:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks for putting this together!

Can you please also add how it is possible to browse only PSOne classics on the PSN Store (in Europe at least, I don't see this option).

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks for putting this together!

Can you please also add how it is possible to browse only PSOne classics on the PSN Store (in Europe at least, I don't see this option).

Umlaut posted these links in the last thread:

PS one
PS2

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Happy to see the new Knack thread.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Great OP as always, but the EU store now also updates PS+ games on the first Tuesday of the month instead of Wednesday.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there are a few things to add or clean up on the OPs. :sweatdrop: I'll double-check later today.

I forgot to mention Volume Vita version is also coming out this week, with cross-buy offer with the PS4 version.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome thread thank you.

AMPLITUDE IS OUT THIS WEEK BUY THIS GAME PLEASE.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I can't work out if Helldivers is crossbuy. It's ten pounds more on the PSN store than it is on steam but if I can play it on vita as well as the p4 I'll grab that version. Otherwise I'll get it nearly half the price on steam.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
I bought a PS4 on the latest Black Friday sale and got a few games (Bloodborne, Journey and the Laura Croft co-op game, in addition to Battlefront that came with the system). Anything else I should get? I'd like some co-op games that I can play with my wife, she really liked Halo 4 when we had on the X360.

This one is probably a dumb question, but how often do AAA titles go on sale? Any chance to see a significant drop in the price of, say, Black Ops 3 or Arkham Knight?

Mystery Opponent fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 4, 2016

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I'm sure I read that the EU holiday sale was part 1 and part 2 went live on he 7th but I cant find anything to clarify that

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Black Ops was (maybe still is) on sale. A tenner cheaper than in the shops (at least here in UK)

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

The Big Taff Man posted:

I'm sure I read that the EU holiday sale was part 1 and part 2 went live on he 7th but I cant find anything to clarify that

I got an e-mail from Sony saying that Part 2 goes live on Wed 6th.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My new year's resolution is to stop forwarding my paycheque to PSN. I gotta get to my backlog sometime, I guess.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Mystery Opponent posted:

I bought a PS4 on the latest Black Friday sale and got a few games (Bloodborne, Journey and the Laura Croft co-op game, in addition to Battlefront that came with the system). Anything else I should get? I'd like some co-op games that I can play with my wife, she really liked Halo 4 when we had on the X360.

This one is probably a dumb question, but how often do AAA titles go on sale? Any chance to see a significant drop in the price of, say, Black Ops 3 or Arkham Knight?

Unless you are lucky to get a decent sale the prices on the actual ps store are pretty bad, you can get a new copy of Arkham Knight off Amazon for $25, you'll probably be able to get it even cheaper in a couple of weeks, especially if you don't mind a second hand copy. Black Ops 3 (and the rest of the Cod games) does not tend to come down in price much at all because the multiplayer community is very active and will be till whenever the next one comes out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Anime? In MY PSStore OP?

fat gay nonce posted:

Unless you are lucky to get a decent sale the prices on the actual ps store are pretty bad, you can get a new copy of Arkham Knight off Amazon for $25, you'll probably be able to get it even cheaper in a couple of weeks, especially if you don't mind a second hand copy. Black Ops 3 (and the rest of the Cod games) does not tend to come down in price much at all because the multiplayer community is very active and will be till whenever the next one comes out.

I might be crazy but it seems like new AAA games have been going on sale earlier and earlier every year, I guess to keep up with the used games market, especially if the games aren't as popular. Buying a physical disk used is almost always cheaper still, though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Lethemonster posted:

I can't work out if Helldivers is crossbuy. It's ten pounds more on the PSN store than it is on steam but if I can play it on vita as well as the p4 I'll grab that version. Otherwise I'll get it nearly half the price on steam.

Helldivers is Crossbuy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amplitude has no licenced tracks right, it's all Harmonix in-house stuff?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mystery Opponent posted:

You guys might like Borderlands (i.e. Handsome Collection) for hotseat co-op. Rocket League could also be a great choice.

AAA titles do go on sale (see: Black Friday, Christmas, Spring sales), but CoD games don't have a great history of it.

Also thank you for the opportunity to post on the first page of this thread so I can find my posts easily later this year.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mystery Opponent posted:

EDF 4.1 is a ton of fun couch co-op

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mystery Opponent posted:

Gauntlet was still free with ps+ as late as yesterday, get that if you can

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mystery Opponent posted:

my favourite co-ops:

- diablo 3 is great. must-have for couch co-op.
- gauntlet (currently free on ps+) is pretty fun, like diablo with a bit less of a looty/grindy focus
- beyond two souls (if you fancy playing a co-op interactive movie with some great graphics and naff writing, i just finished it with a mate and it was way more fun two player than when i played it solo when it first came out)
- fat princess adventures is a surprisingly fun (and cheap) diablo-esque hack-n-slash loot-em-up
- EDF 4.1 is the greatest game of all time
- jackbox party pack 1 & 2 are essential if you ever have gatherings at your house where you get drunk with friends (2 player is okay, too)
- trine 1 & 2 are solid co-op platformer/puzzle games with some quite pretty visuals (supports 3d if you have a 3d tv, and it looks great). haven't played the third one yet but i hear it's not great
- until dawn is another interactive movie good for passing the controller whenever characters change (doesn't have proper co-op like B:TS does).

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Also Helldivers

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

- until dawn is another interactive movie good for passing the controller whenever characters change (doesn't have proper co-op like B:TS does).

I think you just sold me on Until Dawn. I wasn't super interested in it, but the idea of hanging with some friends and passing the controller around to generate our own horror movie sounds like a ton of fun.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Harrow posted:

I think you just sold me on Until Dawn. I wasn't super interested in it, but the idea of hanging with some friends and passing the controller around to generate our own horror movie sounds like a ton of fun.

I paid full price for it (US price anyway, it was way more expensive in the UK) and really enjoyed it but it doesn't have a great deal of replay value outside of introducing it to new people. well worth it for whatever you'd pay for a couple of blu-ray movies, I think (it's about 7-8 hours long unless you really take your time searching for collectibles).

Some characters get wayyyy more screen time than others, though, so be aware of that if you're splitting them up amongst players (which is nice as you can really establish a 'canon' character for yourselves) instead of just passing the controller each time there's a swap.

Also, always choose the same person to do the stuff with the psychiatrist. Choose the biggest wuss, specifically.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I seriously am a "booster" for Until Dawn. Probably my favorite game of last year next to Bloodborne

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Until Dawn was pretty decent but do not play it more than once unless you're a trophy whore.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Play Until Dawn once and just play it as straightforward as possible. Don't go back and try to save people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Skeezy posted:

Play Until Dawn once and just play it as straightforward as possible. Don't go back and try to save people.

The things you have to do to save everyone are so arbitrary that you have to do a walkthrough anyways if you want to get them all anyways

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The things you have to do to save everyone are so arbitrary that you have to do a walkthrough anyways if you want to get them all anyways

Yeah that's true.

Whatever the case, Until Dawn kinda owns. Glad I played it but I'll never touch it again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Eh, only one or two are really bad, I saved everyone but one person without a guide just by not loving up the QTE sections and not doing anything incredibly dumb. The one I didn't save was very counter intuitive though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, only one or two are really bad, I saved everyone but one person without a guide just by not loving up the QTE sections and not doing anything incredibly dumb. The one I didn't save was very counter intuitive though.

Most of them are fine, but some are kind of dumb. The worst is the black guy (matt?) who you have to stop from shooting off the flare with a completely unrelated conversation flag so they could justify the personality system

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Amplitude is all originals except for the songs people paid to have in the game. Apparently the songs aren't good but hey its a new Amplitude .

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Most of them are fine, but some are kind of dumb. The worst is the black guy (matt?) who you have to stop from shooting off the flare with a completely unrelated conversation flag so they could justify the personality system

Yeah, he's the one I got killed. You can also save him by not trying to help his girlfriend if you don't have the flare gun and just jumping off straight away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol

• Locked thread