Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
What are the go to classes for people that like to play support? Is it Force Master and Sumoner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Well I have noting to do until legion, what do people think of this game?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hm, windows defender has decided the JP translation patcher is malware and deleted it. drat, guess that's the end of that.

Suppose I could try the TW version to kill time until the US launch, anyway...

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

CoffeeBooze posted:

What are the go to classes for people that like to play support? Is it Force Master and Sumoner?

Summoner has a lot of party utility between its ability to give the group Dandelion (negates next hit and provides stealth), a minor heal and the cat's tanking.

Force Master is more along the lines of straight damage. It does have utility in the form of phantom grip, but Destroyer has a better hold, followed by KungFu Master. When spec'd for group play, Des and KFM holds just provide more bonuses, though KFM also has the option of making its hold into an AoE party buff if you've already got grabs covered. When people talk about a support in this game, they usually mean having someone with a grab in the group. Note that the Summoner cat also has a grab, but it doesn't have the fancy bonuses of the other classes attached to it. You'll only want to use the cat's grab in a group if no other classes in the group are capable of it.

As for what the grabs actually do, they allow you to render an incapacitated enemy completely disabled for 4-6 seconds depending on how its spec'd. And yes, they even work on bosses! You need to double up on the same disable on a boss first to make them vulnerable to being grabbed, but some classes like Destroyer can easily do that solo. Not only do you get a breather and a bunch of free hits, but the better grabs offer bonuses against the enemy, from a stacking crit bonus to resource regeneration on every hit for the duration of the hold.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
if I buy the founder pack, can I play the beta? I want to somehow play this game but it seem like I am walking though a malware minefield when looking for the other regions patchers.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 6, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cyron posted:

if I buy the founder pack, can I play the beta? I want to somehow play this game but it seem like I am walking though a malware minefield when looking for the other regions patchers.

There's no betas left, just early access, which is available with the cheapest pack, starting a week from Friday IIRC.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Russia had a very rudimentary English version, unless they got rid of it with the NA release approaching. It's been a year since I've touched it.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Cyron posted:

Yeah as Ciaphas said we're done with betas.

If you want to try it still, Taiwan's going to be the easiest to sign up for and play. The main problem is depending on where you are in the world your ping is probably going to be pretty lovely so the game won't feel as smooth as it will on better ping.

Here's a thread on how to sign up and install the english patch. Unfortunately bnsdojo's image links appear to be making GBS threads themselves at the moment so it probably will be hard to figure out until they fix that. At any rate, their links and patch are legit.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Do you get any neat stuff or bonuses for a founder's pack?

asking for a friend

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

Do you get any neat stuff or bonuses for a founder's pack?

asking for a friend

Early access
Premium currency
Premium time
For the higher levels:
Cowboy/cowgirl outfit
Weapon skin
Name/character reservation.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Early access
Premium currency
Premium time
For the higher levels:
Cowboy/cowgirl outfit
Weapon skin
Name/character reservation.

Also, the Master Pack gives 50 inventory expander pouches (enough to unlock all but the last line on a character), Brilliant Viridian and Brilliant Cinderlands keys (guarantees your class weapon from chests, I wrote about it in the OP), plus a bunch of potions and repair tools. You also get another costume besides the cowboy one, and some fancy titles.

Here's what the cowboy costume looks like, if you're curious.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I assume all the founders stuff is per account, not per character?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

fadam posted:

I assume all the founders stuff is per account, not per character?

Yes, but the costumes are bind-to-account so you can mail them between your characters if you want.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
There's no way to see those new styles and colors until head start, is there?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Anoia posted:

There's no way to see those new styles and colors until head start, is there?

The hairs? We can probably see them during the name reservation stage when we go in to make characters. At least I think thats how it works.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

How big was the file download for the beta? just wondering because I kind of have a limited quota.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This looks exactly like TERA: Fun combat, cheesy world, no endgame. So long as leveling is fun I'm down.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Pierson posted:

This looks exactly like TERA: Fun combat, cheesy world, no endgame. So long as leveling is fun I'm down.

There is very much an endgame. Granted, we'll be getting it over time (though they claim they want to expedite it as much as they can), but in Korea there's a ton of content. I think there's something like 17 different dungeons spread across varying gear requirements in both 6man (easier) and 4man (harder) forms, 3 24-man raids, Mushin's Tower where you do solo boss fights on each floor to advance to the next, and plenty of world bosses and daily quest areas.

Endgame gearing in this game is less RNG intensive than Tera as well, instead of trying to get enchants to stick you'll be gradually collecting materials to evolve your weapons and accessories, and collecting soul shield sets and enhancing them with extra stats using other soul shields. You'll also be gradually getting xp for your Hongmoon levels to get more skill points. There's also a ridiculous amount of costumes and other cosmetic stuff to collect and farm for.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

cathead posted:

There is very much an endgame. Granted, we'll be getting it over time (though they claim they want to expedite it as much as they can), but in Korea there's a ton of content. I think there's something like 17 different dungeons spread across varying gear requirements in both 6man (easier) and 4man (harder) forms, 3 24-man raids, Mushin's Tower where you do solo boss fights on each floor to advance to the next, and plenty of world bosses and daily quest areas.

Endgame gearing in this game is less RNG intensive than Tera as well, instead of trying to get enchants to stick you'll be gradually collecting materials to evolve your weapons and accessories, and collecting soul shield sets and enhancing them with extra stats using other soul shields. You'll also be gradually getting xp for your Hongmoon levels to get more skill points. There's also a ridiculous amount of costumes and other cosmetic stuff to collect and farm for.

Something I want to know about crafts, can you have critical failures like in some other games were your stuff actually fails to complete, or downgrades existing gear? I hate that and it feels so insanely RNG to me.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

Something I want to know about crafts, can you have critical failures like in some other games were your stuff actually fails to complete, or downgrades existing gear? I hate that and it feels so insanely RNG to me.

As far as I know there's nothing like that in the game.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

cathead posted:

As far as I know there's nothing like that in the game.

The official site posted:

Be careful, some Transmutation recipes do have a chance to fail, and will destroy your crafting components.
So normal crafting can fail, but not the fusion upgrade stuff you'll actually care about.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Reicere posted:

So normal crafting can fail, but not the fusion upgrade stuff you'll actually care about.

Good point, I forgot about that. Transmutation isn't really crafting though, insofar as its not related to the stuff you take crafting professions for. It's just a way of combining stuff to get new/better gems, outfits, and weapon evolution ingredients. Definitely not something you'll NEED to use to progress. None of the transmutation stuff I tried in beta destroyed components if it failed though, so I'm not sure which combinations actually do that.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Anoia posted:

Russia had a very rudimentary English version, unless they got rid of it with the NA release approaching. It's been a year since I've touched it.

I've been playing on the RU server with the English patch for the last couple months and have had zero issues in understanding what was going on.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

cathead posted:

I see you're dead right and I was looking at old posts. That's reassuring then!

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
Im an Australian playing the Taiwan version atm and its going okay, if I decided to play on the NA server how hosed will I be from lag?

I get about 350ms to NA servers when playing ff14 is that's any reference.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Daynab posted:

How big was the file download for the beta? just wondering because I kind of have a limited quota.

IIRC it was a 12GB download that expanded into a 35-40GB installation. They are compression wizards.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Is there anything pvp related other than highly competitive 1v1 and 3v3 tag team fight clubs? The game looks really cool by the way.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Is there anything pvp related other than highly competitive 1v1 and 3v3 tag team fight clubs? The game looks really cool by the way.

There's open world PvP centered around dailies. Just stroll into your faction's camp sitting on the border of one several PvP subzones and you'll have daily quests to that has you harassing the other faction's NPCs and in direct competition for objectives with players on the other side. You also get prestige points for world PvP which are turned in at your faction camp to rank up in PvP as well as for costumes and other goodies.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have decided that picking up nerds and slamming them around as Destroyer will be my go to way to have fun in this game. Goodness that feels fun, even at level like 7.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Eu Goons (or just the other EU Goon) Any opposition with going RED FACTION

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Sounds good lics and I will pry play, looking towards summoner or blade dancer and force master or blade master.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I have decided that picking up nerds and slamming them around as Destroyer will be my go to way to have fun in this game. Goodness that feels fun, even at level like 7.

I got kind of bored with destroyer rather quickly, to be honest. It spices things up a bit when you get the spinning piledriver later, but having so little variety in attacks wears out its welcome.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

You can pick up your allies too and move them around, if they're KOd.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
eh i aint wasting money on a skin or cowboy stuff :effort:

the early access thing was a given, i just wanted to see if there were exclusive skins or whatever

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

I got kind of bored with destroyer rather quickly, to be honest. It spices things up a bit when you get the spinning piledriver later, but having so little variety in attacks wears out its welcome.

cathead posted:

You can pick up your allies too and move them around, if they're KOd.

The competing arguments are breaking my brain :saddowns:

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

The competing arguments are breaking my brain :saddowns:

I played destroyer to max level in beta. Its a cc monster in dungeons, with the ability to solo break boss cc resistance 2 or even more times depending on how you spec. Choking or lifting dudes provides great bonuses to the party as well, and moving bosses around was relevant in a couple of the 45 dungeons.
In PvP, you have this deadly 1-2 punch with rage into anicancel that shreds anyone you successfully land a stun or knockdown on. And you have a lot of those. Actually catching your opponent can be difficult, depending on the matchup.
All that being said, the ability to ani-cancel RB/LB properly will make or break your experience with the class. Its critical for dps in both pve and pvp (although pvp is a bit easier since you'll usually be in rage which has a different tempo.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I realized about the animation cancelling thing, yeah. My ability to actually do so is sporadic at best, but I choose to blame that on the fact that I'm playing on the Taiwan servers from western America :v:

I hope success isn't too ping dependent, for Destroyer or otherwise. The ping-reliance of Ninja in FFXIV killed that class stone dead for me, for example.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

mightygerm posted:

All that being said, the ability to ani-cancel RB/LB properly will make or break your experience with the class. Its critical for dps in both pve and pvp (although pvp is a bit easier since you'll usually be in rage which has a different tempo.)

This is the part which keeps making me think twice about it being my first class. I know I can learn to execute the canceling just fine, but if past experiences in other games are any indicator I will not enjoy it. So, I am thinking about starting with BM or BD instead. Still not sure though. At the same time, it isn't like I cannot just try them all and decide which one to stick with later. Speaking of which, how many character slots do we get?

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

Xavier434 posted:

This is the part which keeps making me think twice about it being my first class. I know I can learn to execute the canceling just fine, but if past experiences in other games are any indicator I will not enjoy it. So, I am thinking about starting with BM or BD instead. Still not sure though. At the same time, it isn't like I cannot just try them all and decide which one to stick with later. Speaking of which, how many character slots do we get?

F2P / Initiate Pack owners - 2 Characters
Disciple Pack owners - 4 Characters
Master Pack owners - 7 Characters

You can purchase more slots in-game but I don't know the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Download link will go up on Friday apparently.

• Locked thread