Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Shiki Dan posted:

Doing this now at age 32, hopefully will be done this semester.

Didn't blatantly hit on any girls b/c I'm a old loser goon I didn't want to be seen as a creeper and despite a 10 year age difference most of the 21-22 year olds in my class seemed like generations apart from me in terms of life experience and such.
Also I'm an English major so 95% of the kids in my classes are very, very sheltered and repressed girls that are constantly afraid of/fantasizing about rape.

we get a lot of young trainees at work and i've noticed that I have A LOT less in common with people 5-15 years younger than me than people 10-20 years older than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

I honestly don't find women under 25 or so attractive because they are so ignorant and foolish that it kills my boner

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

I realize that makes me gay

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Shiki Dan posted:

age 32

I'm an English major

Horniest Manticore fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 5, 2016

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i finished my degree in my mid 20s and it was funny how easy it was. Undergrad university is super easy if you're a regular capable person with some degree of time management, its designed for 20 year olds. Really young people are funny because i made a reference to Dharma and Greg and they had never heard of it.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

it's like when the small children on this forum look at the bonzi buddy av and are like "who's that purple ape"

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Took an undergrad class recently.

Lab had some young bitch talking poo poo about all the older students cause she was so young and so smart and for sure going to med school bla bla. She ended up throwing a temper tantrum when the TA gave her a D on a poo poo easy lab assignment.

There was some other young kid too. He was kinda smart and did his work most of the time. Ended up working with him on some labs. Pretty decent dude. Think he ended up with an A.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Avalanche posted:

Lab had some young bitch talking poo poo about all the older students cause she was so young and so smart and for sure going to med school bla bla. She ended up throwing a temper tantrum when the TA gave her a D on a poo poo easy lab assignment.

Whoever posted about the difference between people 5-10 years younger vs 5-10 years older was pretty spot on. Most of the younger people around 20 years old took feedback from lecturers personally. They really hated the teaching style which involved being asked hypothetical questions, and learning to figure poo poo out for yourself through investigation.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
do not hang around any college-aged male

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MiracleWhale posted:

I honestly don't find women under 25 or so attractive because they are so ignorant and foolish that it kills my boner
lol enjoy your baby rabies infected leftovers

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

i'm not american. we've got a pretty different system here but i guess my upcoming degree could be related to a college degree. it's from a mid-tier school (altho that doesn't really matter that much here since theres like, 50 schools in the whole country. the differences are really small) and the first full on internet based college degree in my field. i'll be working for the same employer while i study. they basically want me to get a degree to get a promotion.

Sounds like you should gently caress your boss then.

e: to show appreciation.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Avalanche posted:

If not for the "recently" bit I'd have thought I was your TA based on this experience. Precious little snowflakes like this can't fathom that they might actually have done poorly.

Honestly I was pretty cool with the older undergrads, they're way more chill

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

insufficient guns posted:

I'm gonna be 25 when I start my undergrad in September and I'm afraid of feeling totally alienated. I felt that way when I was 17 and tried uni for the first time. I can't even distract myself by slaying young pussy or whatever because I'm a woman and younger guys are :barf: at least my grades will be rad

you can always get banged by us grad students :sun:

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Age 33. I've been a university student since I was 19; the longest period of time I've not been in school was 4 months in 2010.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

TenementFunster posted:

lol enjoy your baby rabies infected leftovers

i humbly request these baby rabies infected leftovers to poz my neg hole

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Serrath posted:

Age 33. I've been a university student since I was 19; the longest period of time I've not been in school was 4 months in 2010.

Sounds cost effective

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ork of Fiction posted:

Sounds like you should gently caress your boss then.

e: to show appreciation.

truth is i think she might want to :(

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian

Serrath posted:

so you're still a student?

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.
op i'm sure you'll be fine. someone else said it but honestly the only way you can gently caress up as a student in a class is being That Guy who always interrupts and acts like you're soooooo much more knowledgable just because you're older than 25. It's really annoying to everyone, even the instructor.

Ask your instructor questions, there's nothing better than a student who takes the class seriously. My older students tend to be better students because of this. Any (good) instructor is 100% rooting for you to succeed so they will be happy to take every inane question you have.

Take extra detailed notes. Things will almost assuredly not make sense when you leave the classroom, even like RIGHT AFTER. It's a bizarre phenomenon.

Most standard college age students (18-22) are dumb and weird and don't want to be your friend. That's just what I've seen though. Depending on the school you are going to, there might be more non-traditional students, like yourself, that you'll really be able to connect with, or graduate students that you would get along with. Or the undergrads might be mature and you can make some good friends.

Some people like having class-friends they can get notes from or work on homework with. Some people dont. That's up to you though.

A lot of non-trad students I've spoken with said they really enjoyed going back to school as they were really able to appreciate the experience, which I think sometimes you don't as an 18yo. So have fun being back in school and congrats! :)

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

BelgianWaffle posted:

so you're still a student?

Yes, I should be finished in 2017 when I'm 35

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.

Serrath posted:

Yes, I should be finished in 2017 when I'm 35

did you do a bunch of degrees or just one really really long, slow one?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

kittiesgomeow posted:

did you do a bunch of degrees or just one really really long, slow one?

Several psychology and psychology graduate degrees, now I'm finishing a medical degree and I've finishing the final stages of my PhD at the same time.

It's not fair to say I've just been a student, though; until I started the med degree, I was working concurrently as a clinical psychologist full time while completing the PhD :P

Being a PhD student in your 30s is really typical and normal. Being a medical student at 33 is weird and isolating; I wouldn't recommend it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Serrath posted:

you are literally still a child

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian

Serrath posted:

Several psychology and psychology graduate degrees, now I'm finishing a medical degree and I've finishing the final stages of my PhD at the same time.

It's not fair to say I've just been a student, though; until I started the med degree, I was working concurrently as a clinical psychologist full time while completing the PhD :P

Being a PhD student in your 30s is really typical and normal. Being a medical student at 33 is weird and isolating; I wouldn't recommend it.

I really hope your first paycheck will be fat and juicy, hopefully your parents backed you up, otherwise I hope you land in a well-payed management position

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Serrath posted:

tbh, med students are weird and socially stunted anyway. and people wonder why beside manner among most physicians sucks. however, it cuts both ways.

lots of med school girls are super easy to get into bed. mostly because the guys are either really socially aware, or just barely above the social functioning of some comp sci goon.

the med school girls are super neurotic though...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey posted:

Sounds cost effective
they don't make you pay the loans until your put of school. I plan to die in a classroom

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

5-HT posted:

tbh, med students are weird and socially stunted anyway. and people wonder why beside manner among most physicians sucks. however, it cuts both ways.

lots of med school girls are super easy to get into bed. mostly because the guys are either really socially aware, or just barely above the social functioning of some comp sci goon.

the med school girls are super neurotic though...

Law school chicks are all drunk whores. :dukedog:

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I went back for my grad degree when I was 28 and most of the grad students were around my age. What was wonderful and echoes the words of the revered Saint Pete from page 1, is the sheer number of undergrad girls on campus with daddy issues that were all over anyone older than them. Best years of my life indeed.

Considering going back for a doctorate at 34, hopefully this all still remains true.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am president of a highly rated Ivy League internet college. If you are interested in attending and getting your bachelor's degree by June, just PM me. For only $15,000 I will send you the expedited coursework and a final exam. If you pass I will send you a degree by email and you can get a job anywhere. The best deal on the internetz.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

BigBoss posted:

Law school chicks are all drunk whores. :dukedog:

this is true. sucking dick, hoping to end up in biglaw. this is closer to the truth than most realize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcaVSTsYyOI

5-HT fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 5, 2016

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

truth is i think she might want to :(

Close ur eyes n think of Englund, friend.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Neutrino posted:

I am president of a highly rated Ivy League internet college. If you are interested in attending and getting your bachelor's degree by June, just PM me. For only $15,000 I will send you the expedited coursework and a final exam. If you pass I will send you a degree by email and you can get a job anywhere. The best deal on the internetz.

how much for just the degree?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i went back at 27 and i am graduating with a 4.0 in may, being in school when you're not young and dumb owns

i also already have a job thanks to one of the profs liking me and offering me a job at his company

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ideally things would be set up that there are jobs people out of high school can get that pay well enough and teach them some life skills and they have time to decide on an actual career then they start college at like 25-27

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

MiracleWhale posted:

yeah. i always wanted to gently caress one of my professors. it's hot cuz they could get fired!

Depends on the institution. At quite a few the prof would just fill out a conflict of interest form and another staff member would be put in charge of grading your poo poo.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yoloer420 posted:

Depends on the institution. At quite a few the prof would just fill out a conflict of interest form and another staff member would be put in charge of grading your poo poo.

wait, your saying that I can hit on the TAs? this changes everything :D

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

BelgianWaffle posted:

I really hope your first paycheck will be fat and juicy, hopefully your parents backed you up, otherwise I hope you land in a well-payed management position

I haven't had to pay out of pocket for anything but my bachelor degree but it was so long ago that I only had to pay 2k/year out of pocket (after a partial scholarship I won in high school). Every degree since has been on a scholarship and now I'm on scholarship + living allowance (plus a second allowance from my PhD) and I work in private practice part time... Though I do calculate how much income I've lost over these 4 years by not working full time + income lost working as a medical intern + years of being a reg compared to what I was making full time as a psychologist and I cringe because I would need to make a LOT as a doctor in my remaining professional career to make up for that shortfall.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Serrath posted:

I haven't had to pay out of pocket for anything but my bachelor degree but it was so long ago that I only had to pay 2k/year out of pocket (after a partial scholarship I won in high school). Every degree since has been on a scholarship and now I'm on scholarship + living allowance (plus a second allowance from my PhD) and I work in private practice part time... Though I do calculate how much income I've lost over these 4 years by not working full time + income lost working as a medical intern + years of being a reg compared to what I was making full time as a psychologist and I cringe because I would need to make a LOT as a doctor in my remaining professional career to make up for that shortfall.

life is the best game and death goes to the winner

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

i went back at 27 and i am graduating with a 4.0 in may, being in school when you're not young and dumb owns

i also already have a job thanks to one of the profs liking me and offering me a job at his company

I still kind of want to kick myself when I think of all of the essentially free resources and opportunities I wasted in college because I was a dumbass kid who was in that "this is just more high school" mindset and put just enough effort to not fail into most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

yoloer420 posted:

I'll keep in mind next time I'm ta'ing that if I gently caress every kid in the class I don't have to do poo poo

• Locked thread