Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

CJacobs and Zain please save this post for future reference
Wait...did I forget some--

*checks wiki*

Oh. OH. In my defense, it has been a good while since I've played, so forgive me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

AradoBalanga posted:

Strangely enough (or in your case, thankfully enough), I think Resident Evil has generally avoided using horribly mutated spiders as enemies. The closest "spider" enemy I can think of are the infection parasites in Operation Raccoon City, but those are more Totally Not Xenomorph Facehuggers than spiders.

There's a spider the size of a city bus at one point in Code: Veronica.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

There are a ton of giant spiders in the very first Resident Evil ever made.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

DO IT TO IT posted:

There are a ton of giant spiders in the very first Resident Evil ever made.

I'm sorry, are you implying that something that clearly doesn't exist actually exists? :toughguy:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I apologize for having lovely memory of RE creatures. :smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Klaus88 posted:

I'm sorry, are you implying that something that clearly doesn't exist actually exists? :toughguy:

If it didn't exist we wouldn't have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWo0Hhx07Pc

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Mines work SO much better in multiplayer, since you don't have Sheva walking behind you and picking them back up.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Gnoman posted:

Mines work SO much better in multiplayer, since you don't have Sheva walking behind you and picking them back up.

What? That was a thing? Why would you make her do that? You place them for a reason.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Gnoman posted:

CJacobs, you know what to do.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zain posted:

What? That was a thing? Why would you make her do that? You place them for a reason.

I don't ever remember Sheva doing this :shrug:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I don't ever remember Sheva doing this :shrug:

The AI partner is basically all sorts of terrible and you should never play this game alone. I remember her doing this the first time I tried fighting the... that thing (I don't have my guide on me right now), and it kind of turned me off of Prox. mines afterwards because I could never get her to leave them alone.

Please, for the love of god, never play this game by yourself, the partner algorithm is terrible.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bman in 2288 posted:

Please, for the love of god, never play this game by yourself, the partner algorithm is terrible.

The game is infinitely more playable if you give Sheva a sniper rifle or the longbow and literally nothing else. Her pathing and decision making is garbage, but she's aimbot as gently caress.

If your AI partner is Chris, then just give him a rifle.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Zain posted:

Welcome to one of the biggest problems with RE5, the partner AI. Like bman said, it is an experience in absolute failure and frustration. The AI stupidity in RE5 means you have to either drag another living person to co-op with, or invest a serious amount of time in making sure the AI partner does not completely gently caress you over. The biggest issue (aside from pathfinding) with the AI is healing.

The AI partner is programmed to read any level of damage to the human player as "Heal partner immediately regardless of situation or damage amount". It will stop attacking and find its way to the player to heal them with total disregard for enemies in the area. The AI also does not discriminate with what healing items it uses, so it is perfectly fine with blowing a first aid spray (a 100% full heal) on what amounts to 1% damage to the human player. The best way to get around this is to essentially hoard all healing items, but this leads to inventory problems because you now have to juggle weapons, ammo, the tactical vest, and healing items on one character. Yes, that vest item you keep seeing in the Buy menu? It takes up an inventory slot now.

Thankfully, Capcom listened to this very loud complaint and have been doing their best to improve partner AI since RE5. This includes Revelations 2 having the "teleport AI to door when player opens it" code, which is very helpful in dealing with pathfinding problems.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It's been a fair while so I could be misremembering, but I used to play RE5 almost exclusively in singleplayer and I don't remember the AI partner being that bad at wasting healing items. I actually liked giving the AI partner most of the healing items because them healing me saved me from having to fumble with the sub-par inventory system in real-time while getting lynched by not-zombies. It also freed up more space in my incredibly cramped inventory.

I also don't remember the AI partner ever picking up prox. mines that I'd placed, but then I hardly ever had room to even pick those up because again, the inventory is very small and you may be noticing a pattern emerge here.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I'll just go ahead and say it (because I don't think it can be conveyed well enough from snide comments about it) but the inventory system is many, many levels of terrible, especially in the early game, due to how utterly small the inventory is, especially after having come from RE4. It can be fast of you know what you're doing, but that's only barely the one good thing about it.

When hovering over an item, press the shoot button (or the aim button, I forget) to instantly equip that item, be it a gun, or bullets. That's how it worked on the console versions of the game.

...I wanna complain about the inventory some more, but maybe another time. I will leave with this: I believe that the smaller inventory is partially to force you to melee enemies more often. Otherwise, you run out of ammo all the more quicker.

Please upgrade your guns.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sunning posted:

Fun fact: Resident Evil 5 is Capcom's best selling game with 6.9 million copies. Resident Evil 6 follows at 6.3 million copies. Street Fighter 2 probably beats both if you combine all the re-releases and updates together.

Resident Evil 5 is now at 7 million copies. Resident Evil 6 is now at 6.4 million.

bman in 2288 posted:

The AI partner is basically all sorts of terrible and you should never play this game alone. I remember her doing this the first time I tried fighting the... that thing (I don't have my guide on me right now), and it kind of turned me off of Prox. mines afterwards because I could never get her to leave them alone.

I think priority goes healing > saving partner > Picking up items (cover) > knifing open boxes > combo attack > shooting enemies. At least it felt like that in my experience.

In cover mode, she'll prioritize using melee and hand guns over heavy weapons and explosives. In attack mode, it's the opposite.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

Please upgrade your guns.

Don't worry!! The next updates are for you then! :v:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Zain posted:

When I last played singleplayer, Sheva was either doing exactly this, emptying her weapon into the back of my head (I wound up giving her the shotgun so that she could at least hit around me), or getting completely stuck in the furnace that was about to incinerate her. This WAS on a just-released PC version, so it is possible that this behavior has been improved since, but the way she behaved during your connection problems earlier suggest not.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Gnoman posted:

When I last played singleplayer, Sheva was either doing exactly this, emptying her weapon into the back of my head (I wound up giving her the shotgun so that she could at least hit around me), or getting completely stuck in the furnace that was about to incinerate her. This WAS on a just-released PC version, so it is possible that this behavior has been improved since, but the way she behaved during your connection problems earlier suggest not.

Huh! Sounds a lot like playing with CJacobs. I don't know if I'd notice much difference between Solo and Co-op play.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:negative:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sunning posted:

In cover mode, she'll prioritize using melee and hand guns over heavy weapons and explosives. In attack mode, it's the opposite.

Doesn't matter what she prioritizes because the only weapon she should be allowed to have is a sniper rifle. :colbert:

The AI in 6 is probably just as bad, but Capcom made the right decision by making them invincible and giving them unlimited ammo.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The AI in Rev1 is the one that made me the least mad, though they were the least useful mechanically. I really liked having a buddy to quip at gross things and facetank damage when I nudged them down a corridor in front of me when I was low on health. They shot their gun but I don't think they could actually damage anything significantly.

Playing Coop in this game made me really happy there was an option to shoot through player characters. So many head-shots through Chris' meaty shoulders.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
The only weapons AI Sheva should have are melee ones or ones with infinite ammo.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

So Zain is Busby and you are the crate?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

So Zain is Busby and you are the crate?

You know that's an apt analogy. Every episode is pretty much "What could possibly go wrong!" in recording format.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: Holy poo poo I forgot today was Monday! :siren:

Part Five: Quite the humdinger

Well poo poo almost forgot to post this and half the day is almost away! That'd been super silly to forget. So it's everyone's favorite gameplay mechanic... The on rails shooter. EVERYONE loves this in their survival horror games right? RIGHT? :ohdear:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
El Gigante or Ndesu as he's called here is really, really hard on Professional mode, you'd better have the accuracy of a machine to block his attacks and poo poo or you will die in mere moments.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

But the real question is does this thing have nipples?
Obviously, it has nipples that erupt into plagas which it then uses as nipplegs.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I expected you guys to find this chapter super easy because of mouse aiming but I guess it isn't easier after all!

You were wondering why the giant stopped attacking you at points. Ndesu's attacks are interrupted by shoving bullets into his face... or his foot if he's about to stomp on you. Also the human soldier loincloth is one of my favorite things in the entirety of Resident Evil.

As for the Brownest Bloomiest game of that generation? Clearly none of you have played Fallout: New Vegas. That at least has a thematic reason for the brown filter though (the reason is everything was nuked to poo poo)

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 1, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
What if I told you that I never noticed the humanist loincloth when I played the game? :v:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
You don't die outright if you fail the QTEs in the humvee driving section; you just take some damage. I know this quite well because for some reason I almost always failed those particular QTEs.

And I dunno, I think Gears of War might be the exemplar of brown and bloomy games of that generation. The original and still the best, you might say.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Between the humvee and the hoverboat, I'm getting even stronger Farcry 2 vibes then normal.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
That jump the humvee does is symbolic. You are doing a railshooter segment and that's the moment where the entire game goes off the rails and into crazy town.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It really didn't seem to fit the gameplay at all! Just rando on rails shooter section.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This is definitely my least favorite level in the game. The El Gigante fight is so disappointing after RE4's, and the whole rail shooter thing just isn't great. I'd rather fight this guy on foot, especially in replays where you have much better guns than the ones on the car.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

gnome7 posted:

This is definitely my least favorite level in the game. The El Gigante fight is so disappointing after RE4's, and the whole rail shooter thing just isn't great. I'd rather fight this guy on foot, especially in replays where you have much better guns than the ones on the car.

On the plus side it's short, fairly trivial to S-rank, and has no hidden emblems/treasure/files/guns so you don't really need to play it a lot for completion purposes.

It's kind of strange that there are is BSAA emblem in it though now that I think about it. Seems easy enough to hide one in the Ndesu arena.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

On the plus side it's short, fairly trivial to S-rank, and has no hidden emblems/treasure/files/guns so you don't really need to play it a lot for completion purposes.

It's kind of strange that there are is BSAA emblem in it though now that I think about it. Seems easy enough to hide one in the Ndesu arena.

Wait there is? I thought there wasn't?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zain posted:

Wait there is? I thought there wasn't?

Oh um where I said "are is BSAA emblem" please read "is no BSAA emblem."

I'm... not sure how that happened.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Oh um where I said "are is BSAA emblem" please read "is no BSAA emblem."

I'm... not sure how that happened.

I blame Umbrella. They're generally behind everything. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

What the heck!?! So I made a post last night and it only just posts now? Great.

• Locked thread