Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Unknown parents.

1b1b2a1a2f* Father
H5a1 Mother

3% Neanderthal

I'm a product of Build A Bitch Workshop. :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Clochette posted:

I got 23andMe kits for me, my husband, and my brother last year. There are a lot of fun tools online you can use with your raw data.

GEDMatch: more in-depth information about your ancestry
Promethease: detailed health reports
Genetic Heredity Calculator: predicts your genetic traits

Which chromosome pair predisposes you to floor pizza?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

too bad about that 1.4% slav otherwise pretty good

The Ashkenazi is more concerning tbh

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Mnemosyne posted:

Sorry, Europeans don't show up as Native American.

Scandinavians sometimes do. I've seen some "pure" Norwegians and Finns that score up to about 1 percent Native American.

I'm partly Scandinavian and the Gedmatch k12 test says I'm 1.43% North Amerindian + Arctic, and the k12 test says I have .19% Siberian DNA.

This is due to a recent link between North/Western Europeans and Native Americans recently discovered.

http://sciencenordic.com/dna-links-native-americans-europeans

RaceBannon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 6, 2016

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

kindermord posted:

will this tell me if i have neanderthal or denisovan or erectus dna i wnat to know how much caveman i am

23andme does.

My result: "You have an estimated 2.4% Neanderthal DNA, which puts you in the 14th percentile among European 23andMe members.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Mnemosyne posted:

I told her he wasn't my father, and she claimed it was impossible. She pointed me towards the only other boyfriend she says she had in that time period, and I researched his family. Also French Canadian, so he couldn't be my father either. She claimed that there were no other possibilities and it had to be him if it wasn't the first guy. Just to prove that I was right, I DNA tested him. Again, no match. So now she claims that this is impossible, the DNA tests are wrong, and won't tell me anything else.
Could this be because of a Chimera-type issue? Like with Lydia Fairchild?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
For the people who've done the testing, aren't you concerned with privacy and your DNA results being sold for profit?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Airborne Viking posted:

Could this be because of a Chimera-type issue? Like with Lydia Fairchild?

My mother is a homeless heroin addict who has been a lifelong liar. It's much more believable that this is another of her lies than to believe that there's some incredibly rare genetic fuckery going on here.

In addition to which, the meat-and-potatoes of what these tests do is match you up with other users based on how much DNA you share. Then you compare your family trees and see who your common ancestor is and how you're related to each other. By testing my mother, I can tell which matches are maternal and which matches are paternal. I have literally thousands of paternal DNA cousins, most very distant (like back in the 1700's, maybe even 1600's). I've spent the past few years contacting these matches, building family trees for them and then connecting those trees to each other to determine how those people are related to each other. Basically if myself and person A, person B and person C all match each other on one big chunk of say, chromosome 12, then I build a family tree for each of those people. Then I see how A, B, and C are related. When I can find the common ancestor between them, I know that that piece of DNA belonged to that person and has been passed down to these descendants. And then I know that person is my ancestor as well, because I have that bit of DNA too. I literally know who quite a few of my ancestors are, just not who my father or grandparents are. It's a strange, backwards situation.

But Ancestry.com sold half a million new DNA kits during their sale over the Christmas period, so I expect that sometime in the next 3-4 months, I'll probably get a match that will solve this for me. I'm really close, and I've been really close for about a year now.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Gravitee posted:

For the people who've done the testing, aren't you concerned with privacy and your DNA results being sold for profit?

Not really. If my DNA can go to further medical research, then have at it; it's not like I lose anything in the process. Most of these companies are selling and processing these kits at quite a bit of a loss, financially. Reselling the data 3rd party medical companies is the only way they can afford to offer the tests at a price that most people can afford. That being said, both 23andMe and Ancestry.com allow you to opt out of research, so nobody gets your data.

When I first started out with all this, I kept the cards a little closer to my chest, but as the years went by and I saw that nothing bad happened to me or anyone else, I slowly relaxed and made more and more info public.

I actually participate in the Personal Genome Project:
http://personalgenomes.org/
Which is essentially donating your entire genome to science in exchange for getting a full genome sequence for free. The tests that we've been talking about are not a full genome sequence, they're less than a million SNPs (total number depends on which test you take). The Personal Genome Project is a full genome sequence, and for an individual to purchase a full genome sequence, it would cost somewhere in the realm of $5k right now. It was $10k just a few years ago. The project has collected a blood sample from me and I'm in the queue for my full sequence. The project has copies of all of my data from the tests that I myself purchased though, and that is currently available to the public.
Anyway, my point is that my data is freely available via the Personal Genome Project to anyone who wants to download it, and pretty much nobody does at this point. You can't even give it away.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It turns out I'm white.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Think about all the cool hyper targeted marketing that's gonna come out once we link genetic variation to suggestibility and buying behaviors!

Really though, that's not a bullshit thing. Give it 5-10 years.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptSZnTtGCQA

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Lolie posted:

Which chromosome pair predisposes you to floor pizza?

Apparently there are genes that predispose one to poor decision-making.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Clochette posted:

Apparently there are genes that predispose one to poor decision-making.

Should probably be renamed "the goon gene".

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Mnemosyne posted:

My mother is a homeless heroin addict who has been a lifelong liar. It's much more believable that this is another of her lies than to believe that there's some incredibly rare genetic fuckery going on here.
But Ancestry.com sold half a million new DNA kits during their sale over the Christmas period, so I expect that sometime in the next 3-4 months, I'll probably get a match that will solve this for me. I'm really close, and I've been really close for about a year now.
That's fair. This is some crazy stuff and I really appreciate your contributions to this thread. I hope you find what you're looking for. :shobon:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My girlfriend took one and discovered she's not 1/16th or whatever Native American like she always thought.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

This makes me curious because my father does not look at all like his family, and my grandmother refused to discuss the subject at all because "that is ridiculous,"

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
How different can the results be for full siblings?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If your family didn't keep genelogical records you're just peasant trash anyway so who cares. Or you're me where your family did keep good records and it turns out you are peasant trash who escaped Napoleon with the local lords

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

How different can the results be for full siblings?

My brother and I both took the test. 23andMe confirmed that we are full siblings and share 50.9% of our DNA.

Because full siblings share on average half of their DNA, the SNPs they inherit are associated with different ancestries, which can result in rather different ancestry results.

For example, 23andMe describes us both as ethnically Eastern European, but my brother got a lot more Eastern European DNA.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

satanic splash-back posted:

This makes me curious because my father does not look at all like his family, and my grandmother refused to discuss the subject at all because "that is ridiculous,"

In order to confirm whether or not he's related, you'd have to end up testing him and also get one of his siblings (or his father, if his father is still alive) to test. A lot of time it's hard to get multiple family members to agree to something like that since a lot of them claim that they don't want to know.

If your main goal is to test to see if two people are related or not (or maybe not related in the way they think they are), you can test them both at Ancestry.com and save a lot of money vs 23andMe. 23andMe is $199 now and Ancestry is typically $99, but right now is on sale for $79 per kit. I don't think that price is going to last much longer, but Ancestry does have sales maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Theses test all have some variations because a lot of the markers are not 100% mapped out or put into historical perspective. So a group can show as being form any number of areas over a 20,000 year period. While a lot of the genome is pretty well understood, there are whole sections that are completely up in the air.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Clochette posted:

For example, 23andMe describes us both as ethnically Eastern European, but my brother got a lot more Eastern European DNA.

Born 2 Squat

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

On the topic of the idea that some people really preferring not to know if someone is their biological relative or not, I thought I'd mention the Paul Fronczak case.

In 1964, a married couple, Chester and Dora Fronczak had a baby in a hospital in Chicago. A day after the baby (named Paul Fronczak) was born, he was stolen from the hospital by a woman who was posing as a nurse. No leads ever turned up, but two years later, a 2 year old boy was found abandoned in New Jersey. The police decided that maybe it was the kidnapped Fronczak baby and gave him to the Fronczaks. The Fronczaks apparently agreed that this could be their son, so they decided it was so and they raised him to adulthood. He didn't look anything like his parents as he aged, so of course he wondered if he could possibly be the real Paul Fronczak after all.

A few years ago, he decided he would do a DNA test to find out, and his parents were extremely against it. If my recollection is correct, his father begged him not to do it and then threatened to never speak to him again if he went through with it. Paul did it anyway and found what he already knew, which is that he wasn't really Paul Fronczak. With the help of one of the other 23andMe regulars, CeCe Moore, he did find his birth family eventually, but there was more mystery there.

Paul Fronczak (or the man who has grown up under that name) is actually one of a pair of twins named Jack and Jill. They went missing when they were 2 years old. Their parents apparently separated and each told their family that the twins were with the other parent. They meanwhile destroyed all photos of the twins. Nobody knows what happened to his sister, Jill, and Paul is still hoping to find her and the "real" Paul Fronczak.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/i-team-mans-identity-revealed-50-year-old-mystery-solved

http://abcnews.go.com/US/stolen-birth-paul-fronczak-closer-finding-blood-relatives/story?id=22888623

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Tendai posted:

Do people really get these and get all "Oh no I'm really part ____" about it? I just wanted it because I'm a big ol' history dork who does most of the genealogical work for my dad's family.

(And also if I end up being part non-white, I can watch both sides of my racist extended family go at it)

(trying to go back and answer questions that I skipped earlier)

Yes, absolutely. They fall into a couple of convenient categories that we see over and over again.

1) Unexpected Jewish Ancestry

This group is generally the least upset about their surprise findings, but some can still get a little bent out of shape. A few do get really insane about it, but I suspect that those people are probably kind of nutty in general. This is not that uncommon a finding, given the history how most countries have treated Jewish people over the centuries. People converted or lied about it to avoid being persecuted, and then a generation or two or three later, nobody knows or remembers that that branch of the family was originally Jewish. I'd probably lie about my ethnicity too if I thought someone was going to murder me over it.

Usually they'll say things like "but my father couldn't have been half Jewish, he went to church every Sunday and was an extremely devout <insert Christian denomination here>! How could he do that if he were really a Jew?" Well yeah, he didn't know either. It's not like he was holding secret Jewish rituals in his closet at midnight. Your father's grandfather converted when he emigrated from Eastern Europe to the US, and then never told his kids that he was born Jewish. He raised his family Christian, they raised their families Christian, etc. Not exactly a difficult thing to understand. People have a hard time separating religion from ethnicity, I think.

A lot of the time what looks like confusing results are explained by a little bit of history. There's some "I can't be part Jewish, my entire family is Spanish and all Spanish people are super-Catholic!" This is true, but the reason that Spanish people are strongly Catholic is because for a while, your options were be Catholic or be executed. If you were Jewish, you either got the gently caress out of Spain or you converted to Catholicism, by law. If you converted and people weren't sure you were REALLY hardcore Catholic enough, the Spanish Inquisition paid you a visit to make sure you weren't retaining of your dirty old Jew ways. Then if you were, you could be executed, so everybody doubled down on the Catholicism, and that's how your genetically Jewish family ended up being the Pope's biggest fans 300 years later.

There was a guy who got so upset about having some Jewish ancestry that he then went into every thread where someone found Jewish ancestry and told them that the test was a lie and that it showed EVERYONE as having Jewish ancestry. The company was run by Jews who had an agenda to get people to stop hating them by faking everyone's DNA results to make everyone at least a little bit Jewish. 23andMe's forums are a giant pile of poop and are impossible to search, but if I can find his exact words, I'll come back and post them here.

2) But my great-great-grandmother was a Cherokee Princess!

This is the most plentiful group, and probably the angriest. There's a new thread made on 23andMe approximately once a week on this topic. Every loving white person in America is somehow convinced that they have Native American ancestry, and usually the story involves an ancestor who was a "Cherokee Princess." Even when the ancestor isn't a "princess," 90% of the time, the person is claiming that their ancestry is Cherokee. They never have any evidence other than "my dad told me it was true, are you calling my dad a liar?"

Of course, their tests don't show any Native American, then they get all pissed off and claim that the DNA tests are a scam. Experienced users come in and ask them questions to determine why they think they have Native American ancestry. They tell them how to research their tree to find paper documentation of their Native American ancestor. The person usually claims that that's not necessary because they know that it's true. No other proof needed. Except the DNA test, which says otherwise.

My in-laws are in this group, actually. Blonde, blue-eyed and pale, and determined that their great-great-grandmother was full-blooded Native. They didn't know her name or what tribe she was, but they were sure she was Native. I did the genealogical research for them and showed them that the paper records show that no, they're just white. The great-great-grandmother had a brother who was a white man that lived on a reservation for reasons that aren't documented, but even then, he's documented as being a white man on the reservation, which is probably how the family myth arose. They DNA tested, and the DNA test shows, of course, no Native American. They still claim they are.

3) Neo-Nazis
Going to save this one for later, because it will involve copy/pasting some great quotes from 23andMe's forums and this post is already long.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 7, 2016

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
is there any specificity for tribes/areas if you do come up as native american yet? like would algonquin vs. navajo show up as vague eastern vs vague western native or do they not have enough data? my siblings and i are supposed to be about 1/8th ojibwe this generation. it's nothing special this far down the line but my mother supposedly has documentation on it, it would just be neat to know how mutty we actually are

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im a cherokee princess irl but my dna says im a drunk slob

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

is there any specificity for tribes/areas if you do come up as native american yet? like would algonquin vs. navajo show up as vague eastern vs vague western native or do they not have enough data? my siblings and i are supposed to be about 1/8th ojibwe this generation. it's nothing special this far down the line but my mother supposedly has documentation on it, it would just be neat to know how mutty we actually are

Some of the Gedmatch tests have samples from specific regions of the Americas. Most of the larger companies don't narrow it down from what I've seen.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I got my dog a dna test and it said that he was part lhasa apso and chow mix because I marked 'mutt' on the form.
He's a Plott hound.
I don't put a lot of faith in these tests.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
How much privilege do I have?

99.9% of it bitches!

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Big Beef City posted:

I got my dog a dna test and it said that he was part lhasa apso and chow mix because I marked 'mutt' on the form.
He's a Plott hound.
I don't put a lot of faith in these tests.

The dog DNA tests are notoriously a bunch of crap.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

No, though this is something that everyone (except the Native Americans) want. By and large, the Native Americans generally refuse to participate in DNA testing and large-scale studies of their tribes because they believe bad things could be done with it. I'm sure there are multiple concerns, but once you start figuring out who is what percent Native American, the government could start excluding certain people who didn't have enough Native DNA from being classified as Native and receiving benefits. Right now it's more based on if you are registered with the tribe and if the tribe considers you part of their tribe.

But because we don't have much Native DNA tested, we don't have much to look at to sort out the difference between even Native folks from Canada vs Native folks from Mexico. As the price of testing comes down, I think we'll see more sequencing of old remains (of all races, not just Native Americans), and that will let us build a better understanding of the differences between tribes.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Did it tell you anything useful?

I'm kinda thinking about doing one just because I think it would be interesting; my family is from a place that lots of different people lived in over history. I've heard they aren't that good if you're not a Western European though so I'm not sure if it's worth it just to learn that 100% of my DNA is from E. Europe or something dumb like that - they're kinda expensive!

Worth it or nah? I'm from Bulgaria so I want to see how much of me is Slav/Mongol/Turkish/Whatever. Maybe there's even some Norse in there? A lot of Scandinavians ended up in Constantinople back when the Byzantine Empire was still kicking.

I did 23 and me before they removed the health poo poo and I found out that I have a hugely increased likelihood to suffer from age related macular degeneration. Looking at your mom's ugly face every couple of weeks is NOT helping things either :(

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yup, found out I was part horse.

Explains the dong at least. And the face.

Moridin920 posted:

Did it tell you anything useful?

I'm kinda thinking about doing one just because I think it would be interesting; my family is from a place that lots of different people lived in over history. I've heard they aren't that good if you're not a Western European though so I'm not sure if it's worth it just to learn that 100% of my DNA is from E. Europe or something dumb like that - they're kinda expensive!

Worth it or nah? I'm from Bulgaria so I want to see how much of me is Slav/Mongol/Turkish/Whatever. Maybe there's even some Norse in there? A lot of Scandinavians ended up in Constantinople back when the Byzantine Empire was still kicking.

Can you do the flat heeled squat and do you really like Adidas?

CavalierDeVache
May 29, 2004

Keep lid closed
College Slice
I keep seeing Scandinavian in the results posted here. My question is whether Saami, Samoyed or other ethnic groups from the north are identified?

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

CavalierDeVache posted:

I keep seeing Scandinavian in the results posted here. My question is whether Saami, Samoyed or other ethnic groups from the north are identified?

Wouldn't they be included in Finnish?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
10 inches, thick. No need for an ancestry test to tell me what i already know about my heritage.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

CavalierDeVache posted:

Closest you'll get with 23andMe is Finnish and Yakut.

Gedmatch Eurogenes K36 lists these populations:
Amerindian
Arabian
Armenian
Basque
Central_African
Central_Euro
East_African
East_Asian
East_Balkan
East_Central_Asian
East_Central_Euro
East_Med
Eastern_Euro
Fennoscandian
French
Iberian
Indo-Chinese
Italian
Malayan -
Near_Eastern
North_African
North_Atlantic
North_Caucasian
North_Sea
Northeast_African
Oceanian
Omotic
Pygmy
Siberian
South_Asian
South_Central_Asian
South_Chinese
Volga-Ural
West_African
West_Caucasian
West_Med

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Demonachizer posted:

I did 23 and me before they removed the health poo poo and I found out that I have a hugely increased likelihood to suffer from age related macular degeneration. Looking at your mom's ugly face every couple of weeks is NOT helping things either :(

Same. When you're getting your yearly eye exams done you can have them image your macular. If caught early on there are drugs that will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
So 23 and me used to tell you what diseases you might get, but doesn't anymore? Is there anyone who still gives you that sort of information? I'm kinda curious.

• Locked thread