Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this dna test says im 50% carrot dna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

RaceBannon posted:

I would say it is almost more useful for mixed people than people of non-mixed ancestry. There was a push at 23andme a few years back to get more samples from people with known roots in Africa to give more accurate responses to people of African descent. I know that they were giving out free samples to people who could prove that their grandparents were all from the same country in Africa. The "ancestry composition" results have since been improved slightly to distinguish which part of Africa one's ancestry comes from.

Thanks. The legend in my family is that a French white slavemaster raped a black slave girl, which started the mother's side of my family. It would be really cool to verify that genetically. Guess I'll give 23andme a shot if I ever have money to blow on interesting but pointless stuff like this

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

twofive1 posted:

It's like those people who come onto antiques road show confident that the knick-knack they have was given to their grandparents by a prince or something, only to be told it was made right down the street. Except in this case, the knick-knack is your genes.

I wish I was an Indian sometimes so I could blame my alcoholism on the white man. Also so I could use peyote with fewer legal loopholes to jump through.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm sort of wondering about these tests on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/DNA-Consultants-Cherokee-Test/dp/B016U1OF62/ref=lp_13457168011_1_2?srs=13457168011&ie=UTF8&qid=1451963554&sr=8-2

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im 99% junk dna. wtfuck

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Three Olives posted:

I'm apparently Native American, how do I get some of that sweet free government Native American cash?

Also I'm part black, I'm like 3 minorities wrapped into one white yuppie.

The other possibility is that you're part Mexican. Care to show the Chromosome view?

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Three Olives posted:

I'm apparently Native American, how do I get some of that sweet free government Native American cash?

Also I'm part black, I'm like 3 minorities wrapped into one white yuppie.

Looks like your just Sicilian or Andalusian or something dude

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Woden posted:

That's really cool, I figured when you were talking about different algorithms that the different companies used they'd hide all that data like search engines hide theirs. Oh, and that some of them might be just making poo poo up.

Only 23andMe shows the breakdown by chromosome. Ancestry and FamilyTreeDNA hide it, but you can just take your raw data from either of those sites and upload it to Gedmatch.com, which will give you about a dozen different 3rd party ethnicity calculators to play around with. They don't look quite as pretty and easy to read as 23andMe's though.

I haven't heard of them before, so I don't know if they're worthwhile, but based on what I know about testing for Native DNA, I doubt they're worth it. Also, like 90% of America thinks they're descended from Cherokee, and they're almost all wrong. This is another thing I wanted to talk more about, but I'll have to write it up later.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

rakovsky maybe posted:

Nah, not enough MENA (Middle East North African)

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Cuckoo posted:

Thanks. The legend in my family is that a French white slavemaster raped a black slave girl, which started the mother's side of my family. It would be really cool to verify that genetically. Guess I'll give 23andme a shot if I ever have money to blow on interesting but pointless stuff like this

It is interesting and I guess pointless depending on what you're looking for. DNA testing solved an ancestral question for my wife and created an ancestral question for myself.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mnemosyne posted:

The other possibility is that you're part Mexican. Care to show the Chromosome view?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

You don't really have to scratch out the "100% homosexual"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You didn't have to scribble that out, we all know it says 100% Condo Trustie

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

It says your father was Caesar Romero and your mother was Ian McKellen.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mnemosyne posted:

I haven't heard of them before, so I don't know if they're worthwhile, but based on what I know about testing for Native DNA, I doubt they're worth it. Also, like 90% of America thinks they're descended from Cherokee, and they're almost all wrong. This is another thing I wanted to talk more about, but I'll have to write it up later.

I actually didn't even really know about these until this thread. The fact it was so specific a test just sounded strange.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

rakovsky maybe posted:

Sorry, Europeans don't show up as Native American.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I did one, and It said I was genetically pure and so straight it could be used to align lasers

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

yoloer420 posted:

Turns out I'm white. Cool!

Nice try. :jewish:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

I only asked because I recall that you're adopted. I don't know what you know about your bio family, but from this, it looks like your father was Mexican. Native American (Northern) is a possibility, but I think that given that combo of Native / Iberian / Middle Eastern, I think Mexican fits pretty perfectly. We can tell that it's only one parent, because the Native / Middle Eastern / African segments all show up non-overlapping. Which means that one chromosome of each pair is blue (European) and one chromosome is orange / red / purple (non-Euro), so one parent is pretty much all white/Euro and the other parent is not.

From there you can tell that it's your father who is likely Mexican (or maybe some other kind of Central American, I don't have any experience looking at the DNA of other Central American groups) because you have one X chromosome, and it's blue / Euro. If you were a woman, you'd have two X chromosomes, one from each parent, and we would be unable to tell which was from which, but since you're a man, you only have one. You got a Y chromosome from your father, and the X from your mother. And since the X is Euro, your mother is the Euro parent and your father is the non-Euro parent.

Since Mexicans are a mix of mainly Native and Spanish (southern Euro / Iberian) DNA, your Y chromosome from a Mexican father could be either Native or European in origin. What Y haplogroup does 23andMe give you? Unless you already know about your bio family and you don't care about my analysis of your results.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

it all makes sense now.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

yoloer420 posted:

0,1% Finnish.

Do you feel like killing yourself 0,1% of the time?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mnemosyne posted:

What Y haplogroup does 23andMe give you?

H2a2a

Posting this feels way creepy, please don't steal the soul I don't have.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
This thread just became overwhelmingly fascinating

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry Moridin but you're 100% slav

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Mnemosyne posted:

I've been involved in direct-to-consumer genetic testing for about 6 years now and can answer all your your questions! Or I could, if I had more time. I'll try to hit some major points, but a lot of the answers to your questions require lengthy, somewhat technical explanations.

First, there are 4 major players: 23andMe, FamilyTreeDNA, National Geographic and Ancestry.com. Do not be fooled, there is a company called "AncestrybyDNA" and they are NOT the same thing as Ancestry.com. AncestrybyDNA is a total scam, their results are complete junk, and they're in the process of being sued by Ancestry.com. Do not use them and do not think that they're the same as Ancestry.com.

Have you heard of the company Genebase? If so, what do you think of them?

I'm adopted, and have no information on either biological parents side when it comes to ancestry or medical data. I ended up paying genebase (around five years ago) for a 91 marker y-chrom test, but that poo poo was impossible for me to parse. Any other sites I can kiss my genetic data into to have it read?

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 5, 2016

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I had it done for both myself and my boyfriend, so I'll show you our results. It's a lot more interesting if you're of mixed race heritage versus being a generic cracker like me. My ancestry report:

And his:

It also tells you your haplogroups (only maternal if you're female, both if you're male), whether or not you're a carrier for various diseases, and a few things about physical traits like eye color and dimples and such. For $5 you can get a report from https://promethease.com/ that tells you more in depth medical aspects, like various diseases you're predisposed to and physical things like how you metabolize medications.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Who was the goon who offered genealogy in SA mart, and does he still do it?

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
will this tell me if i have neanderthal or denisovan or erectus dna i wnat to know how much caveman i am

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Three Olives posted:

H2a2a

Posting this feels way creepy, please don't steal the soul I don't have.

Hm, H2 as a Y haplogroup is pretty rare. Or at least it's rare in the English-speaking world, so it's hard to tell how prevalent it might be elsewhere due to other populations not having been tested much. It looks like H2 likely started around India (we're talking thousands of years ago, not recent Indian ancestry), but is found in lower concentrations as far west as the Iberian peninsula, so that could fit with the Mexican / Hispanic pattern. But with it being an Asiatic haplogroup, that means it might be a Native haplogroup as well, though I never see it mentioned as a Native haplogroup. That doesn't mean it doesn't occur in low concentrations though, since most Native Americans are not very interested in letting the white man have their DNA. And all Native Americans left in America are very mixed at this point anyway.

I'd look through your DNA Relatives list, I'm assuming you'll see more than a few with Spanish last names.

Are you interested in trying to actually find bio family, or just curious?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

Sorry Moridin but you're 100% slav

:negative:

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i'm uncomfortable using these things after i found out my great-grandfather was jewish through ancestry.com

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Cuckoo posted:

How useful is this for black/mixed black people? I heard that a person of color got one of those tests and it said that some of their ancestry was from "black slaves", with no indication of what kind of black or from where.

Yeah no poo poo thanks for wasting my money

As you can kind of see from what I was posting regarding Three Olives posts, you can often tell a lot more about people of mixed ancestry. If you look at my own chart, it's pretty much 99.8% blue / Western Euro, and about 90% of that is from the British Isles. It's hard for me to make much progress with "pretty much all of your ancestors are a bunch of limeys."

The best my pretty homogeneous results can tell me is when I'm on the wrong track. As mentioned, my paternity is unknown. My mother was sure she knew who my father was. The man in question believed he was my father, his whole family thought he was my father. I had never met him nor his family, so I wasn't invested in it at all. Once I took this DNA test, I started to be curious, so I tracked him down. It was the right guy, and he thought he was my father. I started researching his family and found he was French Canadian, which did not fit with my DNA results (not just the ethnicity results, but the DNA cousin matches and other things). I started saying that I didn't think he was my father and everyone told me I was wrong. Eventually I asked his family to test for me, and they came back as not related to me at all. If I hadn't done the DNA test, I would have never questioned that he was my father.

I told her he wasn't my father, and she claimed it was impossible. She pointed me towards the only other boyfriend she says she had in that time period, and I researched his family. Also French Canadian, so he couldn't be my father either. She claimed that there were no other possibilities and it had to be him if it wasn't the first guy. Just to prove that I was right, I DNA tested him. Again, no match. So now she claims that this is impossible, the DNA tests are wrong, and won't tell me anything else.

Anyway, more relevant to your own situation; one of my earliest DNA matches (on my mother's side) is a guy who is mostly black but is of mixed black and white ancestry. My ancestry includes a lot of slave-owning southerners. His grandfather was very light-skinned, so the whole family always assumed what most everyone would assume... that there was a black slave woman and a white slave-owning man a few generations earlier. However, the DNA has shown that his Y chromosome (inherited from your father's father's father, etc) is African and from Cameroon. So now we're looking for a black man / white woman combo. I've personally narrowed our connection down to a specific family living around Nash county, North Carolina in the 1700's, but I haven't managed to get more specific than that yet.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I did one for 23andme and am awaiting results from Ancestry.com. I am doing them because I was adopted as an infant and New York and New Jersey hasn't opened the vault on actual birth certificates yet (January 2017 is the date though). I could care less but somehow my wife feels this will be important to our son. She doesn't get the idea that finding your birth family is a total crap-shoot: who knows what meth addict will wind up being your mother?

That being said, the science, Haplogroups and the math behind it all is pretty fun in a nerdy way. The closest hit I got was third or forth cousin, possibly once removed. So basically our connection is some people from the early 1800s, who appear to be untraceable. Essentially useless for me, but interesting for 5 minutes. The surprise for me was that my father' side is a mix of Ashkenazi lineage. I like to imagine some sort of forbidden Jew/Irish West Side story like romance in the mid sixties leading to the rear end in a top hat typing this message.

I did use GEDmatch to cross reference results. You can import your raw data in from most testing sites and can list who else in their database matches both of you and which don't. This helps narrow down some connections, along with Haplogroup matching.

The downside of all this is the money. Ancestry is the worst in this regard. I waited till there were sales on the kits, as most of the genealogy game seems to be a money grab from Americans who want to claim they are descendant of some royalty. GEDMatch is one of a few sites that let people import results from most testing sites but since the entire data set is voluntary, it really only reflects a very small segment of the population, most of whom are there posting results because they don't who their parents are either. Average people don't go get tested because they know where they came from, and it's no big deal to them.

Regarding Cuckoo's question: It's more interesting with mixed race people. My son is mixed; his mother is from the Caribbean and has over 40 half siblings. Her mother and father only had one child together but the father had at least 37 kids and her mother had 8. The chart for him is all over the place. I figure if he has a kid with a Chinese or Japanese girl we will have every major genetic group covered.

Bedevere fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 5, 2016

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Don't bother getting this done, OP. Just look at my results since you have half of my DNA.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
All goons should get tested to make sure all 23 of their chromosomes are still there.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

gently caress you noticed :( Oi vey!

Rambling Robot posted:

0,1% Finnish.

Do you feel like killing yourself 0,1% of the time?

Yeah that's about right.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 6, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Those test results look like a NEST smart thermostat. Can we adjust our DNA via wifi?

az
Dec 2, 2005

Your posts about DNA are really interesting, please share some more.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I got 23andMe kits for me, my husband, and my brother last year. There are a lot of fun tools online you can use with your raw data.

GEDMatch: more in-depth information about your ancestry
Promethease: detailed health reports
Genetic Heredity Calculator: predicts your genetic traits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

yoloer420 posted:

too bad about that 1.4% slav otherwise pretty good

• Locked thread