Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Wish they had an office downtown so I can get pricked during lunch to find out why I have Lucifer's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Mnemosyne posted:

I only asked because I recall that you're adopted. I don't know what you know about your bio family, but from this, it looks like your father was Mexican. Native American (Northern) is a possibility, but I think that given that combo of Native / Iberian / Middle Eastern, I think Mexican fits pretty perfectly. We can tell that it's only one parent, because the Native / Middle Eastern / African segments all show up non-overlapping. Which means that one chromosome of each pair is blue (European) and one chromosome is orange / red / purple (non-Euro), so one parent is pretty much all white/Euro and the other parent is not.

From there you can tell that it's your father who is likely Mexican (or maybe some other kind of Central American, I don't have any experience looking at the DNA of other Central American groups) because you have one X chromosome, and it's blue / Euro. If you were a woman, you'd have two X chromosomes, one from each parent, and we would be unable to tell which was from which, but since you're a man, you only have one. You got a Y chromosome from your father, and the X from your mother. And since the X is Euro, your mother is the Euro parent and your father is the non-Euro parent.

Mnemosyne, how did you learn how to decipher this data (so I can learn too)?

My dad and I both have done the 23andme test -- I have really good genealogical information on my mother's side of the family, but my dad knows next to nothing about his family. He was born in northeastern Italy (in an area bordered by Austria and Slovenia), and his parents were from the same area, but beyond that is all a mystery. Here are our results:

Dad

Me

What's very curious to me is that my results say I have a higher percentage of Balkan ancestry than my dad, and our chromosomal pattern doesn't match perfectly (I have it in places he doesn't).

Dad

Me

It makes sense for my dad to have it -- he and his family are from an area right next to the Balkans. But my mom was 50% Sicilian (genealogy records are good back to the 1700s), 25% Irish (records are good back to the 1700s), and 25% German (records are good back to the 1400s). There should not be any Balkan DNA from her side of the family. Any thoughts?

It makes sense for me to have a little Middle Eastern/North African DNA that my dad doesn't have, because of my maternal Sicilian heritage. Funny that my East Asian DNA isn't on the same chromosome as my dad's -- his region of Italy was invaded by Atilla the Hun in 452 AD, so that's probably why he has it, but mine must come from some other distant relative on my mom's side. Maybe it's the same story with the Balkan DNA.

Funny that my dad has significant French/German and British/Irish DNA -- I wonder if that's because his region of Italy was also home to the Celts before the Roman Empire, or since he has so much of it, there were more recent ancestors from those areas?

On that note, is the fact that I have such a tiny percentage of Ashkenazi Jewish DNA indicative that it came from an ancestor in the long, long past?

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 7, 2016

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

I did and now I am being indicted on over 200 cold cases

When you started the VendaGoat campaign for wife loving a while back, did no-one suggest you should maybe stick to your own wife?

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Volcott posted:

So 23 and me used to tell you what diseases you might get, but doesn't anymore? Is there anyone who still gives you that sort of information? I'm kinda curious.

They removed it because of the FDA, but they've added a lot back now. I was grandfathered in since I bought the kit without health reports for $99, but now they're charging $199.

A service called Promethease will take your raw 23andMe data and give you a detailed health report.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
You suckers should have just waited a few more years for the next gen sequencing techs to trickle out to trivial things like this. You could actually get your whole genome done.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
http://www.nature.com/news/regulation-the-fda-is-overcautious-on-consumer-genomics-1.14527

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/23andme-is-terrifying-but-not-for-reasons-fda/

Don't give those jews your genome. They're gonna own & datamine on it

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Saga posted:

When you started the VendaGoat campaign for wife loving a while back, did no-one suggest you should maybe stick to your own wife?

It was not covered in the pamphlet I received, no. Did I do wrong?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Yeah it told me my dog is related to ur mom op

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Mnemosyne, how did you learn how to decipher this data (so I can learn too)?

My dad and I both have done the 23andme test -- I have really good genealogical information on my mother's side of the family, but my dad knows next to nothing about his family. He was born in northeastern Italy (in an area bordered by Austria and Slovenia), and his parents were from the same area, but beyond that is all a mystery. Here are our results:

Dad

Me

What's very curious to me is that my results say I have a higher percentage of Balkan ancestry than my dad, and our chromosomal pattern doesn't match perfectly (I have it in places he doesn't).

Dad

Me

It makes sense for my dad to have it -- he and his family are from an area right next to the Balkans. But my mom was 50% Sicilian (genealogy records are good back to the 1700s), 25% Irish (records are good back to the 1700s), and 25% German (records are good back to the 1400s). There should not be any Balkan DNA from her side of the family. Any thoughts?

It makes sense for me to have a little Middle Eastern/North African DNA that my dad doesn't have, because of my maternal Sicilian heritage. Funny that my East Asian DNA isn't on the same chromosome as my dad's -- his region of Italy was invaded by Atilla the Hun in 452 AD, so that's probably why he has it, but mine must come from some other distant relative on my mom's side. Maybe it's the same story with the Balkan DNA.

Funny that my dad has significant French/German and British/Irish DNA -- I wonder if that's because his region of Italy was also home to the Celts before the Roman Empire, or since he has so much of it, there were more recent ancestors from those areas?

On that note, is the fact that I have such a tiny percentage of Ashkenazi Jewish DNA indicative that it came from an ancestor in the long, long past?

I just learned by reading and doing. The 23andMe forums have been the best place to learn, for the most part, but now that they're migrating to a new site, I don't know if that will continue, because so many of the old-timers are mad about the changes. Looking at the results you posted, your account has already been moved over to the new site. Anyway, read the posts, learn to recognize which of them actually knows what they're talking about and who is just talking out of their butts. Some people there have blogs, and those are useful too. (Warning, many of these blogs are ugly as sin) Blaine Bettinger (http://thegeneticgenealogist.com), CeCe Moore (http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.com ), Shannon Christmas (http://throughthetreesblog.tumblr.com), Roberta Estes (http://dna-explained.com), Kitty Cooper (http://blog.kittycooper.com) and Kelly Wheaton (https://sites.google.com/site/wheatonsurname/beginners-guide-to-genetic-genealogy).

Mostly it's been over the years through group efforts on the 23andMe forums. When I first tested 6 years ago, the product was still pretty new and almost none of us knew what we were doing. But people would post threads, asking a question, and a few people would look at it and make some guesses. Then others, myself included would say "Ok, how can we test this? How can we figure out if that's the right answer or not?" and we'd pool our resources and efforts to gather data that could help us figure it out. It's an ongoing process and we're all learning together.

So is traditional paper genealogy not an option for your dad's side? It looks like you're familiar with researching, and I was under the impression that Italy had pretty decent records. I admit that I don't have any personal experience with Italian genealogy or records though, that's just off the top of my head.

My best friend tested, as did her mother. The mother is 1/2 pure Italian as her mother was born in Italy. I know from dealing with her results that there aren't a ton of Italians represented in the database in general, and that her Italian matches were very low. That means I don't have a lot of pure Italian results to look at for comparison to see what's normal for Italians. I just pulled up the 1/2 Italian mother to look at her again. She actually shows about 10% Balkan, but since her father is an American mutt, I can't rule out that that's coming from his side.

Anyway, your mother must have some DNA that's reading as Balkan, because if you look at Chromosome 6, you've got both copies of Chromosome 6 coming up as Balkan, and the region overlaps. You have one copy of each from each parent, so if both copies are showing Balkan, then it definitely came from your mother. Additionally, one of your X chromosomes is showing entirely Balkan. Your Dad's isn't, so that's not the X you got from him. So that's from your mom too. Because the X chromosome has specific inheritance patterns (always passes from mother to child regardless of gender of child, only passes from father to daughter, not to sons), you can sometimes tell a lot from the X. There are charts here that show the pattern of X chromosome inheritance (only the people colored in on the chart donate to your X chromosome): http://thegeneticgenealogist.com/2008/12/21/unlocking-the-genealogical-secrets-of-the-x-chromosome/
I personally download these and fill them in with my pedigree (only the colored blocks) so I can see which of my ancestors gave me my X chromosome. Then when I'm working with DNA matches who match me on the X, I know which ancestors are possible and which are not.

I would assume that your mother's Balkan DNA is via one of her German ancestors. If you fill in that X chart for her, you should be able to see if her German ancestry falls on that X path. If you look at Europe on a map, Munich, Germany is only about 300 miles away from Slovenia, which is considered "Balkan." Three hundred miles isn't very far at all, so I would have to guess that some of that "Balkan" DNA is found around Germany. As Americans, we put a lot of emphasis on current political borders, which screws us up a lot. I think sometimes it's easier to put in perspective when you compare it to the United States; the distance between Germany and Slovenia is about as far as the distance from New York city to Maine. Los Angeles and San Francisco are farther apart than that.

Another thing that obviously comes into play is that this is all still in its infancy. As more and more people get tested, we'll be able to refine our definitions of which DNA comes from which regions. I've also never seen the DNA of someone from Sicily (nor do I know really anything about Sicilian history), so it's also possible that Balkan shows up from that side of her ancestry? Now I'm going to have to go see if I can find some Ancestry comps from Sicilians because I'm curious.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
Mnemosyne, you have a wonderful way of explaining things.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

RaceBannon posted:

Mnemosyne, you have a wonderful way of explaining things.

This is Something Awful, so I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not. But if it's not, then thanks!

EDIT: You seem to know what you're talking about with the DNA stuff; do you ever post over at 23andMe?

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 8, 2016

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Wait let me try again.

As a joke I peed in the sample kit, turns out I'm related to ur moms mouth

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I've learned more about DNA from this thread than I did in high school biology, that's for sure.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Mnemosyne posted:

<good words>
Thanks for the explanation! I'll check out the 23andme boards and the blogs you linked to.

My mom has passed away, but she had four brothers and I've mentioned to one of them that it would be great if he or the others could get their DNA tested so we could fill in the data gaps. Unfortunately, even with the holiday promotion (that ends today), the cost wasn't something he wanted to pay. I'll try to persuade my uncles to pool their money or save the money myself for them to do it.

I've used Promethease and Livewello.com to investigate my health data, and yesterday Livewello released a report on Endometrial Cancer and Hormone Replacement Therapy -- exactly what my mom died of and why -- but apparently my DNA data doesn't include the relevant SNPs to test. I'm (not literally, I hope :haw:) dying to know if I carry the genes that put me at risk for this.

For Livewello, It's $19.95 to upload your 23andme raw DNA data, and for that they give you 27 health reports for free, and then you can subscribe (2-week free trial) to get more of their reports as well as the ability to run your own. Custom gene variance reports just look at your results for your phenotypes of the genes you've manually selected (or another user has manually selected). The site is intended for physicians to use, and custom variance reports do not come with any kind of interpretation or analysis.

They provide these reports for free:

quote:

1. Nexium, acid reflux disease and CYP2C19 drugs
2. Warfarin and CYP2C9 drugs
3. Plavix, blood thinners and CYP2C19 drugs
4. Response to diabetes medication - Sulfonylureas
5. Hepatitis C Treatment
6. Preference for sweet foods
7. Tramadol and CYP2D6 drugs
8. VDR Taq Gene and Osteoporosis
9. Lupus
10. Vitamin B12
11. COMT Gene and Personality Traits
12. Vitamin B6
13. Alcohol tolerance
14. Anti-depressant response: Paxil, Celexa, Effexor or Elavil
15. Folate and the MTHFR gene
16. Caffeine and Anxiety
17. Kidney disease risk and MTHFS gene
18. Oxycodone and CYP2D6 drugs
19. Vitamin A
20. Hormone Replacement Therapy
21. Response to cholesterol lowering medication
22. Sexual dysfunction due to Celexa, Lexapro, Prozac, Paxil or Zoloft
23. Alcohol abuse and risk of esophageal cancer
24. MTHFR and risk of depression
25. Zofran and CYP2D6 drugs
26. MAOA - The Warrior gene
27. Metformin
As an example of what their reports look like, here are my results for Lupus:

Here are my results for a custom report another user has created, for Phenylketonuria (PKU), which I know I don't have:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it turns out im a direct descendant of jesus so i guess now i have to go on a watered down indiana jones adventure that doesnt get a sequel movie

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

it said i inherited the third chromosome from gbs

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Drunkboxer posted:

You suckers should have just waited a few more years for the next gen sequencing techs to trickle out to trivial things like this. You could actually get your whole genome done.

i was part of a research project on the genetics of bisexuality, so i didn't have a choice

i work in a sequencing core though and i could easily run illumina/ion torrent on my full genome any time

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Gravitee posted:

For the people who've done the testing, aren't you concerned with privacy and your DNA results being sold for profit?

lol. for what? targeted advertising?

I cant imagine DNA results being sold for anything other than something potentially beneficial to humankind, so no. In fact, I hope they sell it. poo poo if they said the results would be used for research that's more of an incentive to do it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm not planning on committing any murders and if I was I guess I should make sure to clean up my DNA better before leaving the scene of the crime.

Pretty sure my DNA is already in some database from when I was a kid and they did that poo poo in my town for parents to get their kids swabbed in case they get kidnapped or something.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Pretty sure my DNA is already in some database from when I was a kid and they did that poo poo in my town for parents to get their kids swabbed in case they get kidnapped or something.

ya that's what it was lol govt definitely isn't cultivating a gay army in your image in secret

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm not planning on committing any murders and if I was I guess I should make sure to clean up my DNA better before leaving the scene of the crime.

When I was a youngin, they did fingerprinting for the same reason.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Yeah II'm worried about all that criminal profiling too but I'm pretty sure the army catalogs every soldier's DNA too so I'm already hosed.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I'm not concerned about sharing my DNA results with supposedly existent data-mining Jews because I don't believe there is any way to effectively target people with ads based on their genetic profile. If there were I'd join up with them.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
my brother did; the spanish, irish and english ancestery was expected but nordic wasn't. apparently one of my ancestors was raped by a viking.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I'm not concerned about sharing my DNA results with supposedly existent data-mining Jews because I don't believe there is any way to effectively target people with ads based on their genetic profile. If there were I'd join up with them.

Says here you are genetically predisposed to heartburn, here's an ad for Nexium.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

results say ur polish here's a diaper ad am iright pollack jokes are back and here 2 stay

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

EngineerSean posted:

Says here you are genetically predisposed to heartburn, here's an ad for Nexium.

Too late illjewminati, I'm already on nexium!

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

lol. for what? targeted advertising?

I cant imagine DNA results being sold for anything other than something potentially beneficial to humankind, so no. In fact, I hope they sell it. poo poo if they said the results would be used for research that's more of an incentive to do it.

what's cool is when you have to buy genome data a lot less research gets done because lol if you think funding is easy to get

also it biases things even harder to big labs with big names and big funding regardless of how good or novel their actual output is

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

Nigmaetcetera posted:

you're probably wrong about this given the current state of things. you would definitely be wrong about this in the future. your genome is a code that says a shitton about you and one of these days they'll be able to make very useful generalizations as well as specificalizations about a person based on it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

kindermord posted:

you're probably wrong about this given the current state of things. you would definitely be wrong about this in the future. your genome is a code that says a shitton about you and one of these days they'll be able to make very useful generalizations as well as specificalizations about a person based on it.

*some nerd in a lab coat looks at a seventy five page breakdown of a woman's genetics*

Oh yah, what a filthy loving whore you are, slut.

:jackbud:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

kindermord posted:

I dare you to look at somebody's genetic code and tell me what their favorite gum is.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

*some nerd in a lab coat looks at a seventy five page breakdown of a woman's genetics*

Oh yah, what a filthy loving whore you are, slut.

:jackbud:

*sends adds for nonoxynol 9 and valtrex*

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I dare you to look at somebody's genetic code and tell me what their favorite gum is.

hardcore

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

All doublemint niggas is hard niggas

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

i don't need a code to tell me that everybody's favorite gum should be extra classic bubble :colbert:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

kindermord posted:

i don't need a code to tell me that everybody's favorite gum should be extra classic bubble :colbert:

You make eugenics look like a good idea bubblegum is gay, in the bad way not the dancing around in speedos on parade floats and suckling eachother's rotten peckers way, real bad I mean

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Nigmaetcetera posted:

In 40 years I'll be loving an immaculate VR simulacra of you with XX instead of XY thanks to the DNA you graciously provided to 23andme, which they'll sell off to a middleware company that provides templates to futureporn game developers

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Beef Turret posted:

In 40 years I'll be loving an immaculate VR simulacra of you with XX instead of XY thanks to the DNA you graciously provided to 23andme, which they'll sell off to a middleware company that provides templates to futureporn game developers

Lol why would that bother anyone?

Edit: lol the future-Jews will certainly love sodomizing future-cyber-female me. That doesn't sound absurd or stupid at all.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 8, 2016

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nigmaetcetera posted:

All doublemint niggas is hard niggas

genetic determinism is a bit passe now tho hehehehe. they thought everything was in the jeans but their not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Lol why would that bother anyone?

Idk... ask someone with a social life.

• Locked thread