Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
If this isn't appropriate, I'll remove it, but for anyone thinking of testing with Ancestry.com, you can get 10% off the purchase price by using my referral link, so it's ~$89 for the test there.
http://refer.dna.ancestry.com/s/yzevg

Full disclosure is that I then get a $10 Amazon gift credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Mnemosyne posted:

I actually participate in the Personal Genome Project:
http://personalgenomes.org/
Which is essentially donating your entire genome to science in exchange for getting a full genome sequence for free. The tests that we've been talking about are not a full genome sequence, they're less than a million SNPs (total number depends on which test you take). The Personal Genome Project is a full genome sequence, and for an individual to purchase a full genome sequence, it would cost somewhere in the realm of $5k right now. It was $10k just a few years ago. The project has collected a blood sample from me and I'm in the queue for my full sequence. The project has copies of all of my data from the tests that I myself purchased though, and that is currently available to the public.
Anyway, my point is that my data is freely available via the Personal Genome Project to anyone who wants to download it, and pretty much nobody does at this point. You can't even give it away.

I just signed up to do this. This is neat!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
What's a genome?
Is that a part of me that I need?
What would learning my genome sequence tell me? Oh, look it says I have blue eyes Nd severe downs syndrome, I already knew that, fuckos

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Drunk Nerds posted:

What's a genome?
Is that a part of me that I need?
What would learning my genome sequence tell me? Oh, look it says I have blue eyes Nd severe downs syndrome, I already knew that, fuckos

It would tell you you're predisposed to boner cancer, but they won't actually tell you because that would be like medical advice or something and that would require FDA approval or some poo poo.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

got myr esults in it says i'm a bit jew but mostly gunk

• Locked thread