Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I got 23andMe kits for me, my husband, and my brother last year. There are a lot of fun tools online you can use with your raw data.

GEDMatch: more in-depth information about your ancestry
Promethease: detailed health reports
Genetic Heredity Calculator: predicts your genetic traits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Lolie posted:

Which chromosome pair predisposes you to floor pizza?

Apparently there are genes that predispose one to poor decision-making.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

How different can the results be for full siblings?

My brother and I both took the test. 23andMe confirmed that we are full siblings and share 50.9% of our DNA.

Because full siblings share on average half of their DNA, the SNPs they inherit are associated with different ancestries, which can result in rather different ancestry results.

For example, 23andMe describes us both as ethnically Eastern European, but my brother got a lot more Eastern European DNA.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

CavalierDeVache posted:

I keep seeing Scandinavian in the results posted here. My question is whether Saami, Samoyed or other ethnic groups from the north are identified?

Wouldn't they be included in Finnish?

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Volcott posted:

So 23 and me used to tell you what diseases you might get, but doesn't anymore? Is there anyone who still gives you that sort of information? I'm kinda curious.

They removed it because of the FDA, but they've added a lot back now. I was grandfathered in since I bought the kit without health reports for $99, but now they're charging $199.

A service called Promethease will take your raw 23andMe data and give you a detailed health report.

• Locked thread