Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I did one for 23andme and am awaiting results from Ancestry.com. I am doing them because I was adopted as an infant and New York and New Jersey hasn't opened the vault on actual birth certificates yet (January 2017 is the date though). I could care less but somehow my wife feels this will be important to our son. She doesn't get the idea that finding your birth family is a total crap-shoot: who knows what meth addict will wind up being your mother?

That being said, the science, Haplogroups and the math behind it all is pretty fun in a nerdy way. The closest hit I got was third or forth cousin, possibly once removed. So basically our connection is some people from the early 1800s, who appear to be untraceable. Essentially useless for me, but interesting for 5 minutes. The surprise for me was that my father' side is a mix of Ashkenazi lineage. I like to imagine some sort of forbidden Jew/Irish West Side story like romance in the mid sixties leading to the rear end in a top hat typing this message.

I did use GEDmatch to cross reference results. You can import your raw data in from most testing sites and can list who else in their database matches both of you and which don't. This helps narrow down some connections, along with Haplogroup matching.

The downside of all this is the money. Ancestry is the worst in this regard. I waited till there were sales on the kits, as most of the genealogy game seems to be a money grab from Americans who want to claim they are descendant of some royalty. GEDMatch is one of a few sites that let people import results from most testing sites but since the entire data set is voluntary, it really only reflects a very small segment of the population, most of whom are there posting results because they don't who their parents are either. Average people don't go get tested because they know where they came from, and it's no big deal to them.

Regarding Cuckoo's question: It's more interesting with mixed race people. My son is mixed; his mother is from the Caribbean and has over 40 half siblings. Her mother and father only had one child together but the father had at least 37 kids and her mother had 8. The chart for him is all over the place. I figure if he has a kid with a Chinese or Japanese girl we will have every major genetic group covered.

Bedevere fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Theses test all have some variations because a lot of the markers are not 100% mapped out or put into historical perspective. So a group can show as being form any number of areas over a 20,000 year period. While a lot of the genome is pretty well understood, there are whole sections that are completely up in the air.

• Locked thread