Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

FAU you will remember the name of the great Professor Ratigan or so help me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think of Kung Fu Panda 2 as "more of what I liked", but the arc isn't as strong and feels less personal.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
KFP2 didn't have Master Ugwei (?) so it is inherently inferior

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

starkebn posted:

KFP2 didn't have Master Ugwei (?) so it is inherently inferior

Good news about KFP3 then.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The tower falling was meant to be the equivalent beat to Tai Lung's escape, but as good as it was, it's no Tai Lung's escape.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gaston is the most despicable animated villain. Everything he does is because he's a vainglorious pig of a man. He's petty and spiteful. He has an amazing life, and throws it all down the drain because one girl tells him no.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ConfusedUs posted:

Gaston is the most despicable animated villain. Everything he does is because he's a vainglorious pig of a man. He's petty and spiteful. He has an amazing life, and throws it all down the drain because one girl tells him no.

Not only that, but he still intends to have her anyway.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Belle could have married him and ruled him with her pinky just by manipulating his tiny mind, and to boot she would have gotten a handsome muscleman to bunk with. Belle chose the abusive, petty, selfish wildebeest man instead, teaching little girls that it's okay to marry these guys, you just have to "fix" them first. Who's the villain now?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

turtlecrunch posted:

Belle could have married him and ruled him with her pinky just by manipulating his tiny mind, and to boot she would have gotten a handsome muscleman to bunk with. Belle chose the abusive, petty, selfish wildebeest man instead, teaching little girls that it's okay to marry these guys, you just have to "fix" them first. Who's the villain now?

I hate that interpretation so much because it completely ignores what's going on in the film (which is "don't blame your loving looks, she's looking at your personality").

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
But the thing is, the Beast is no better than Gaston from the personality standpoint for a good decent while, and arguably significantly worse. He's abusive as hell towards Belle, whereas Gaston is just... kind of a dick and a blowhard.

e: like, the best thing for Belle to do would be move somewhere else with less terrible guys, but the movie does not give her that option.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'd argue that's not the case, because Beast is never insidious. He's frustrated but his aim is always "How do I make her love me?" and not Gaston's "I don't give a poo poo if she likes me or not, I still intend to gently caress her." Either way, not great!!

And they're just differently emotionally abusive at the outset, Beast is yelling and being openly aggressive, whereas Gaston is dismissive and manipulative in the extreme. Gaston is also clearly just as angry (think of him strangling his lackey) but he is more directed in how he expresses it. Gaston is leagues above "kind of a dick", I mean he tries to browbeat her into a marriage which he seems to approach as a contract for his personal baby factory and sex dispenser.

Pick fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 5, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pick posted:

I'd argue that's not the case, because Beast is never insidious. He's frustrated but his aim is always "How do I make her love me?" and not Gaston's "I don't give a poo poo if she likes me or not, I still intend to gently caress her." Either way, not great!!

I agree with this; we see The Beast's point of view as "how do I make myself better". His early behavior is wrong, absolutely, but he does realize the error of his ways. From there on out, he wants to be better. And he eventually succeeds.

Gaston goes to his death a backstabbing boor.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
But the Beast is effectively forced to reevaluate his personality because he is a monster (externally). It could be argued Gaston is worse merely because he still has his looks and therefore has no reason to question his behavior since everyone but Belle loves him.

And yes, that's one of the whole message of the movie that being beautiful inside is more important. But I think if Gaston had been disfigured since he was 11 years old he might have turned out to be less of a dick.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

raditts posted:

Much like the Land that will forever be Before Time, the Ice Age will only end when it stops being profitable.

Speaking of which, prepare for another one of them sumbitches to hit a Walmart bargain bin near you this February!

What the hell, I thought they straight-up canned the studio responsible for those and forced the refugees to make DTV Tinkerbell movies forever.

Also wasn't there an Animal Crackers animated series at some point in the 90's or have I just gone completely insane?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ConfusedUs posted:

I agree with this; we see The Beast's point of view as "how do I make myself better". His early behavior is wrong, absolutely, but he does realize the error of his ways. From there on out, he wants to be better. And he eventually succeeds.

Even then, there are two big moments where Beast loses his temper:

1. She won't come down to dinner. The discussion immediately beforehand is how to try to make a good impression, and even during the argument with her (who he has barely met) he makes an effort to bring it down a notch. But the issue here is that he's frustrated because he'd built up this big chance in his head, he was going to do a good job, and then she "takes that away" without warning. She has the right to not show up at a meal with a monster right after her loving life falls apart: as everyone point out, her becoming a prisoner is way more affecting than him wanting a date, but he's selfish and is only seeing it from his point of view. He's clearly in the wrong, the movie makes it obvious he's in the wrong. There are some extenuating circumstances here that aren't excuses but add some context, e.g. Lumiere points out the rose is already wilting, Beast is losing his chance to be visibly human. (But Belle doesn't know that.)

2. Belle invades the West Wing. In this case, she is out of line, she has no reason to do that and especially not so quickly. (I mean, get a tour of the non-forbidden rooms first??) He has pretty good reason to be mad about this. God, who knows what could happen!?

But it's uphill from there :downs:.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If there isn't an in-depth comparison between Beauty and the Beast and the first Shrek, there absolutely should be. I would attempt one, but I can't think of any of Fiona's redeeming qualities, whereas Beast turns out to be pretty great.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Inkspot posted:

If there isn't an in-depth comparison between Beauty and the Beast and the first Shrek, there absolutely should be. I would attempt one, but I can't think of any of Fiona's redeeming qualities, whereas Beast turns out to be pretty great.

Beast is a really well-crafted character, he's got a lot going on (as does Belle). Honestly it's just a really, fantastically good movie. What's kind of interesting is that a lot of his anger is built on the assumption that his task (of finding someone to love him) is impossible. But his anger is ironically his biggest barrier.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'll hear no ill words towards Gaston, Hero of France. Someone posted this on my Facebook a couple years ago, I forget where's it's from originally

quote:

In Beauty and the Beast, Gaston ate four dozen eggs daily when he was a child. That's fourty-eight eggs a day. As an adult he adds another dozen, tallying up to sixty eggs a day. This is nothing short of genocide. My theory for why Gaston is beloved by the townsfolk is that some time prior to the start of the movie, France was overrun with poultry. Helpless at the claws of the chickens, the people of France were preparing to abandon their country, when a lone child stepped forward. "I'll eat the eggs", a young Gaston bellowed, "And I will save our homeland". And so it was, Gaston ate and ate until he was roughly the size of a barge. How the cholesterol didn't kill him can only be attributed to his inhuman fortitude. This is where the story turns tragic.

What Gaston hadn't accounted for was developing an addiction to the eggs. As he aged, he ate more and more, and with the chicken-crisis over, his addiction began costing him financially. There's a scene during Gaston's song where he motions to a wall full of his hunting trophies. But why are they there? Does he own the bar? No, he sold them for egg money. The fact he never brings up his egg addiction or his prior heroism can be attributed to another one of Gaston's defining character traits: his struggle to be emotionally open, and his modesty. It's not easy being the man who saved France. I think the saddest scene is when Belle shows Gaston the book, and he holds it upside down. See, Gaston seems brutish, but remember - his entire childhood was spent eating eggs. He didn't have time for an education; he sacrificed his upbringing for his countrymen. He can't even hold a book correctly. What Gaston wants to say, what he's struggling to articulate, is "Belle, I'm dying. A life long diet of a quite frankly insane number of eggs has left my body bloated with tumors. Before I shove off this mortal coil, I want children, who might experience a world without the oppression I have suffered". Belle cruelly mocks him, which goes to make you wonder who the real beast is.

When Gaston sees the Beast in the mirror, two thoughts run through his head. First, he sees his countrymen in danger once more, and despite being riddled with egg-tumors, wants to lead the masses to one last charge of glory since fighting for France is all he knows. Second, he realizes Beast's head is about a month's worth of egg-money. So he sieges the castle, and in one of Disney's most tragic moments, plummets to his death.

Another reason Gaston wants to marry Belle is because, as mentioned above, all he knows how to do is to fight for France and its people. Gaston saw Maurice as a genuine danger, and he's not wrong; consider the hellish contraption Maurice created. One look at that war machine and Gaston hatched a plan; marry Belle, and get close enough to Maurice to talk him down. Mind you, he did love Belle, and wanted to be the father of her children, but the danger presented by Maurice forced his plan into action immediately. When that fell through, he had no choice but to throw Maurice in the asylum (something marrying Belle would have fixed, since he would once again be close enough to Maurice to influence him). All in all, the failure was one of articulation.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8coX8VkUKY8

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDHr5IMFRUk

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Pick posted:

The tower falling was meant to be the equivalent beat to Tai Lung's escape, but as good as it was, it's no Tai Lung's escape.
to be fair, though, few set pieces are.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bdyzc5sdQo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In regards to KFP2, I just find it mostly really uninteresting. The plot is really middle of the road and while that is also true of the original, it's also far less light. This wouldn't matter if the heavier moments worked, but for me at least they did not and just left me cold. Outside of Shen, I just couldn't care about pretty much any aspect of the plot. I didn't find Poe's thing that interesting, the thing with Tigress felt really underdone and the rest of the five have even less to do than they did in the first one somehow. People talk up the last fight scene but I just didn't see much in it. Concept wise is was pretty clear that this scene was coming from pretty early on and execution wise I still didn't like it more than anything in the first film. In general the first film had really good kung fu sequences while KFP2 had really big stunt sequences. While they're both true to the genre, I just vastly prefer the former and also find pulling off the former in animation to be impressive while the latter, not so much. I mean it wasn't a movie that offended me but I just found it middle of the road in pretty much all respects.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I recently saw Cinderella again, since watching old Disney movies is great when you're sick, and a couple of things stood out to me.
-The Prince has almost no lines at all, and we hear the most poignant one (vowing to marry the girl who can wear the crystal slipper) through the Chancellor, not to mention that he's a prize to be won.
-The King and the Sultan from Agrabah must be somehow related, because they have the same motivation, the same approximate size and even the same color scheme; the Sultan is just chiller.
-Lady Tremaine might be the single most evil Disney villain. Everyone else is motivated by greed or revenge or has, at least, a somehow loftier goal, but she's a dick to Cinderella out of nothing but pure spite and envy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

paradoxGentleman posted:

-Lady Tremaine might be the single most evil Disney villain. Everyone else is motivated by greed or revenge or has, at least, a somehow loftier goal, but she's a dick to Cinderella out of nothing but pure spite and envy.

I dunno, there's probably a case to be made for Frollo.

I love her expressions, though. She's got like fifteen different kinds of disgruntled contempt, it's wonderful.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I dunno, there's probably a case to be made for Frollo.

I love her expressions, though. She's got like fifteen different kinds of disgruntled contempt, it's wonderful.

And Cate Blanchett tried on all of them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually think Madame Medusa might be the most evil Disney villain. She just crunches that little orphan's heart.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Evil Stepmother is my fave Disney villain because she's the most realistic. She's so subtle and awful like a real person. She plays head games and is like a straight up Joan Crawford bitch queen.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

broken clock opsec posted:

And Cate Blanchett tried on all of them.

That movie depresses me. It's such a bland, lifeless whole made (mostly) out of so many individually interesting parts.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Is it somehow worse than Maleficent?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

axleblaze posted:

In regards to KFP2, I just find it mostly really uninteresting. The plot is really middle of the road and while that is also true of the original, it's also far less light. This wouldn't matter if the heavier moments worked, but for me at least they did not and just left me cold. Outside of Shen, I just couldn't care about pretty much any aspect of the plot. I didn't find Poe's thing that interesting, the thing with Tigress felt really underdone and the rest of the five have even less to do than they did in the first one somehow. People talk up the last fight scene but I just didn't see much in it. Concept wise is was pretty clear that this scene was coming from pretty early on and execution wise I still didn't like it more than anything in the first film. In general the first film had really good kung fu sequences while KFP2 had really big stunt sequences. While they're both true to the genre, I just vastly prefer the former and also find pulling off the former in animation to be impressive while the latter, not so much. I mean it wasn't a movie that offended me but I just found it middle of the road in pretty much all respects.

See for me there was something about the fight at the end of the first one between Po and Tai Lung that just never really worked for me. I'm not really sure what it is. I want to say it's because it's so bright and cheerful looking since it takes place during the day (or morning) but at the same time the fight is kind of not supposed to be overly seriously, so it makes sense. But I dunno. Something about it never really worked for me, besides the final bit with the finger hold, after such a cool fight in the temple with Tai Lung and Shifu.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The whole point of the final fight in Kung Fu Panda is that it's not serious. Tai Lung is undefeatable on his own terms, that is to say, in a dramatic kung fu showdown to the death. Po succeeds by forcing Tai Lung out of his milieu and into Po's: a slapstick comedy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just read the worst movie review in the universe for The Good Dinosaur.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/the-holiday-movie-leaving-scores-of-kids-in-tears/story-fni0b7jg-1227698312194

Some spoilers for movie, which I've blacked out:

quote:

MY kids and I often head to the movies in the holidays and the last couple of movies have seen us all leave the cinemas laughing and discussing the movie and its issues in great depth.

Home had us throwing our hands in the air like we just did not care, Minions had us speaking hilarious gibberish for weeks and Inside Out gave us all of the feels and plenty of gold happy memory balls.

I assumed our trip to The Good Dinosaur would end similarly. My god was I wrong.

quote:

My thoughts instantly turned to The Lion King. They can’t do this to me AGAIN. No Disney, it’s not allowed. Disney. No. Don’t do it. Don’t. I’m warning you.

They did it.

“Mum, is his dad dead?” whispered my six-year-old.

“Yes, honey,” I whimpered through my tears.

* Cue five-year-olds in the cinema simultaneously bursting into tears *

Disney, you suck!

quote:

Even I turned to my friend who brought along her kids and said: “I was not prepared for those emotions. Disney has some explaining to do.”

I put a status up online after getting home offering a much-needed warning to all my friends who planned to take their kids to see it this holidays

quote:

I give this three double tear crying emoji, two feel good smiley emoji because Arlo does eventually make it home, and one screwed up “WTF” emoji face — because WTF was Disney Pixar thinking? Bring back Bing Bong!

PROTECT ALL THE KIDS

...FROM FEELS

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Is it somehow worse than Maleficent?

They have similar problems, but Maleficent comes much closer to having something interesting to say. Whether a near miss or a total flop is more frustrating is up to you.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Pick posted:

I actually think Madame Medusa might be the most evil Disney villain. She just crunches that little orphan's heart.

I loved that film as a kid and still have a lot of tenderness towards it, despite the flaws, but the whole treatment of Penny's situation is surprisingly dark.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Pick posted:

I think of Kung Fu Panda 2 as "more of what I liked", but the arc isn't as strong and feels less personal.

That basically sums it up! I enjoyed it but it wasn't 'ooh I gotta own this movie' tier, although I've rewatched it on occasion. It's good! At points really good. I love the 2D animation segments. But it wasn't as memorable to me.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I keep seeing people thinking that in The Good Dinosaur they get high off mushrooms, but they don't, it's clearly fermented fruit? The camera pans up to show you it's fruit from the tree, even.

Also

neonnoodle posted:

Evil Stepmother is my fave Disney villain because she's the most realistic. She's so subtle and awful like a real person. She plays head games and is like a straight up Joan Crawford bitch queen.
This is why Mother Gothel is an interesting Disney villain too, she does and says some really insidious and manipulative poo poo that real people would. Maybe not the imprisoning people in a tower for 18-odd years thing, but the gaslighting and insults disguised as teasing. She's interesting to watch too, she treats Rapunzel as nothing but her hair and is always touching it and looking at it when talking to her.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

paradoxGentleman posted:

I know right?
The only criticism of that I can think of is that it's sort of cheesy but if you don't like cheese why are you even watching Kung Fu Panda?
Well, the whole arc with Tai Lung and Tigress as Shifu's pupils and how he treats them differently is really, really strong in the first one. Tigress is still a cooler character than Po in both(which is good because the more serious characters are supposed to bounce off his goofiness), but not nearly as much in the second as the first.

That said I did cry during KFP2(easy guess what scene), but that's more because I'm a baby than the movie itself.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
That scene in KFP2 when they're in the dragon suit just kills it for me, I'm not really keen on that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I haven't seen KFP in a while but I generally don't like stories where the protagonist is just a gently caress up until he finally learns how to not gently caress up, so maybe that's why I feel like KFP2 is better (he still fails a bunch in that movie, but it's because of trauma).

• Locked thread