Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I would love marketers to retire:

-Record Scratch

-"That's Gotta hurt!"

-Making it look like someone's going to say a naughty word/do something obscene and then cutting to someone obviously reacting to something else completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
-"...awkward"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

* Shen is probably a better example than Tai Lung -- he's motivated in part by fear of the prophecy, but he was fascinated with weapons and destruction even before that.

Shen is one of those examples where they really tried hard to play up the difference we're talking about, with that whole "wounds heal, scars fade, choose what you want to be" speech.

IMO instead of "I choose ... this!" and then dying, Shen would've been a great addition, stylistically, to the regular cast.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

broken clock opsec posted:

Shen is one of those examples where they really tried hard to play up the difference we're talking about, with that whole "wounds heal, scars fade, choose what you want to be" speech.

IMO instead of "I choose ... this!" and then dying, Shen would've been a great addition, stylistically, to the regular cast.

Shen is cool, but that would have gone against the themes of the movie. The point of his character was that he was unable to let go of his failures and find inner peace (which they spelled out for the entire film). He would rather die than get over himself.

I really like the final conversation between Shen and Po. It's a combination of funny and poignant.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"Nobody kills Humperdinck. He lives."
"You mean he wins? Jesus, Grandpa, why are you reading me this for?"

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Oscar nominations are out:

"Variety posted:

Best animated feature film of the year:
“Anomalisa” Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson and Rosa Tran
“Boy and the World” Alê Abreu
“Inside Out” Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera
“Shaun the Sheep Movie” Mark Burton and Richard Starzak
“When Marnie Was There” Hiromasa Yonebayashi and Yoshiaki Nishimura

Best animated short film:
“Bear Story” Gabriel Osorio and Pato Escala
“Prologue” Richard Williams and Imogen Sutton
“Sanjay’s Super Team” Sanjay Patel and Nicole Grindle
“We Can’t Live without Cosmos” Konstantin Bronzit
“World of Tomorrow” Don Hertzfeldt

Inside Out and World of Tomorrow are probably the most likely candidates. Maybe Anomalisa, depending on how the Academy feels on that particular day.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Boy and the World is the big upset and you should all go see it. It's the most gorgeous animation this year. Well, released this year, it was made back in 2013.

Massive academy snub for Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F', though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Thank god they had two Pixar shorts to choose from this year so they didn't end up nominating Lava.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Inside Out and World of Tomorrow are probably the most likely candidates. Maybe Anomalisa, depending on how the Academy feels on that particular day.

posts those academy member interview snippets about how "I don't watch stuff my kid doesn't want to watch"

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

axleblaze posted:

Thank god they had two Pixar shorts to choose from this year so they didn't end up nominating Lava.

I HAD A DREAM

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Apparently World of Tomorrow is up on Netflix so if you haven't seen it yet, get on that.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Looks like Norm of the North is *record scratch*

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/norm_of_the_north/

Going South.

Didn't see that coming :smug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pixeltendo posted:

Going South.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcOTiTVuizU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Pixeltendo posted:

Going South.

The AV Club posted:

They also dance with our hero, who does his signature number, the “Arctic Shake,” to various insufferable contemporary pop hits at various points throughout the movie. The sequence was clearly animated once and dropped into different locations as needed, which, along with the out-of-the-box character and location design, implies that even the animators on this film put forth a minimum of effort.

gently caress I think I need to see this movie

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Just saw 'Only Yesterday' with my friend. She had the same complaint about the ending that some people did in the last thread (that Taeko shouldn't have ended up staying with Toshio because it went against the themes and Taeko's overall character) but I thought it fit in really well with the themes of growing up and saying goodbye to the past.

It was simultaneously more melancholy and more hilarious than I was expecting. A lot of the story was told through small details, which I appreciated. The focus on the 'space between the clap' was very pronounced, and that combined with the attention to detail made the protagonist and her story feel very real.

Only complaints are that some of the 'yesterday' portions could have been better tied in with the 'today' portions. For example, the whole Abe bit comes out of nowhere toward the end, despite being a pretty significant memory and turning point for Taeko. Also, some of the dialogue was a little stilted. I don't know if it's a translation thing or if it felt like Taeko and Toshio were occasionally having two separate and simultaneous conversations in the original Japanese version, too.

CRINDY posted:

please do and live tweet it, tia

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CRINDY posted:

I find AV Club hit or miss but that article is amazing.

What I mainly got out of it though is that the plot is bizarrely, inexplicably convoluted. Why would you do a "cartoon animals meet housing development" plot in a movie about Polar Bears. That's like if Happy Feet was about Deforestation!

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

nerdman42 posted:

Every time I see a trailer for one of Dreamworks' movies, I can't help but hope they get someone else running their marketing department. They're movies always seem kind full of generic dumb humor, but I've enjoyed most of the movies by themselves. I'm 90% sure KFP3 will be good but the trailer keeps giving me doubts.

Never judge an animated movie by it's trailer, at least if it's from Disney or Dreamworks. I posted about this in the last thread, but they always do the same thing: Take every single comedy scene in the movie and put them in the trailer out of context, edit them so that even non-comedy scenes LOOK Like comedy, excise all drama or emotion, and put it all to a lovely pop-song that isn't in the movie at all to make the whole thing look like a wacky comedy.

This always makes poo poo trailers because they ruin the timing of the jokes. Any gag or joke will be poo poo when you remove it from context because you just don't get the buildup and timing.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A better polar bear movie than Norn of the North:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9cYcRotufU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't give a poo poo about Popeye but.. have you guys seen this clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4tNuM9XttM

The animation is... inspired :aaa:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yea that was made when Genndy was still directing it (he's not anymore)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Two things about Norm of the North that I think of when I see the trailer:
-It makes me instantly think of Foodfight to the point I had to look up and see if it was made by the same people
-I started instantly thinking to the cursed "Atuk" movie that probably killed 4 comedians.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hedrigall posted:

It's a great blend of modern CGI techniques with the 1930s Fleischer Studio aesthetic, it's amazing.

Edit: turns out that Genndy Tartakovsky actually learned English partially from Popeye cartoons and then took animation lessons from a 90 year old Fleischer Studio animator after the emigrated to the US according to this 2014 video where the CGI footage was premiered

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 15, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Tartakovsky is a wonderful animator, and it's a real shame that he was so often saddled with mediocre scripts.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yea that was made when Genndy was still directing it (he's not anymore)

you raise my hopes only to dash them against the hard, pointy rocks of reality

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hedrigall posted:

I don't give a poo poo about Popeye but.. have you guys seen this clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4tNuM9XttM

That's super old and was just a concept test for something that's not happening anymore, as far as I know.
I wish it was still happening, though :smith: Popeye cartoons may not be the most memorable cartoons, but they were among the best animated.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

JediTalentAgent posted:

-It makes me instantly think of Foodfight to the point I had to look up and see if it was made by the same people

Nope, it's from the Alpha and Omega people. Apparently there are something like five direct-to-DVD sequels of that thing, which is a shame, because seeing the first one in theaters (I got paid for it, don't worry) was an awful, trying experience.

edit: three more Alpha and Omega sequels are coming, which, woof.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Is it because they already made the assets or what? Who's buying these?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's kinda cocky to name your dumb wolf movie after Jesus Christ.

I know it's like alpha male stuff, but it came up when I was googling it to get a plot description and I found it funny.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It also perpetuates that pua thing.
It turns out that wolf packs having those is a crock of poo poo, and even if it wasn't it would not be relevant anyway because last I checked people are not wolves and lifting animal behavior to humans makes no sense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleman_ posted:

It's kinda cocky to name your dumb wolf movie after Jesus Christ.

I know it's like alpha male stuff, but it came up when I was googling it to get a plot description and I found it funny.

The producer/director on all the Alpha & Omega films is a guy called Richard Rich who has also produced & directed dozens and dozens of animated adaptations of Bible stories and Book of Mormon stories so it can't be a coincidence.

He started out in the mailroom at Disney in the early 70s and worked his way up the chain until he got to direct The Fox and the Hound and The Black Cauldron in the 80s. He then started his own animation company which started pumping out short religious animations but took over 4 years to produce their first feature film, The Swan Princess, which they followed up with four sequels.

This dude fuckin' loves sequels.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I don't know what it is about the non-Pixar animation studio, but every time I see or hear about their movies I'm put off. Thought Ralph would be a dumb, but really loved it, thought Frozen would be even worse, loved it more, etc.

I wonder if they'll get 4 in a row with Zootopia.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The year Ralph came out was pretty odd, Pixar was doing the princess fairytale and DAS was doing the more modern Pixar-like movie.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

their first feature film, The Swan Princess

:aaa: I loved that movie when I was a kid. It probably isn't as good as I remember, but still, kind of sad that guy went on to make the Alpha and Omega movies.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

:aaa: I loved that movie when I was a kid. It probably isn't as good as I remember, but still, kind of sad that guy went on to make the Alpha and Omega movies.

There is that one song that is catchier than the plague...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

yeah seeing as this guy also directed Fox and the Hound, I'm kind afraid to see Alpha and Omega because I might enjoy it despite every reason that I should hate it. gently caress I think I have a "type" for directors

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Aces High posted:

yeah seeing as this guy also directed Fox and the Hound, I'm kind afraid to see Alpha and Omega because I might enjoy it despite every reason that I should hate it. gently caress I think I have a "type" for directors

You will almost certainly not like it, because it is a bad movie. I enjoyed The Fox and the Hound, because it was a cute movie about growing up and friendships that overcome the barriers of society that didn't pretend that we can magically make those barriers disappear. Alpha and Omega, on the other hand, is a bad CG garbage movie about outdated science acting against the expectations of your family and friends in order to do what makes you happy and wolves with people faces. It's not a bad message, but the delivery is very poor.

I don't think one film (or two, if you also enjoyed The Swan Princess in spite of itself) is enough to determine that you have a "type."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

It probably isn't as good as I remember
It's really, really not.

Villain's song is good, though.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Speaking of "not as good as I remember," recently re-watched An Americal Tail and Fievel Goes West.

Woof.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ALFbrot posted:

Speaking of "not as good as I remember," recently re-watched An Americal Tail and Fievel Goes West.

Woof.

At least Fievel Goes West has a moment where you can see a penis drawn on one of the mice because animators are funny like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember Fievel Goes West being a very pretty film, but I also haven't seen it in 15-20 years.
Rescuers Down Under though, I watched last year and it was beeyootiful. :swoon:

• Locked thread