Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
It didn't matter. There was no way to dig up the deckplates. He dried up the snow. He brought the night. He roared and sent locusts. It didn't do a thing; they stayed dead. I'd had him. He was furious. I had thought AM hated me before. I was wrong. It was not even a shadow of the hate he now slavered from every printed circuit. He made certain I would suffer eternally and could not do myself in.

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. I remember all four of them. I wish—

Well, it doesn't make any sense. I know I saved them, I know I saved them from what has happened to me, but still, I cannot forget killing them. Ellen's face. It isn't easy. Sometimes I want to, it doesn't matter.

AM has altered me for his own peace of mind, I suppose. He doesn't want me to run at full speed into a computer bank and smash my skull. Or hold my breath till I faint. Or cut my throat on a rusted sheet of metal. There are reflective surfaces down here. I will describe myself as I see myself:

I am a great soft jelly thing. Smoothly rounded, with no mouth, with pulsing white holes filled by fog where my eyes used to be. Rubbery appendages that were once my arms; bulks rounding down into legless humps of soft slippery matter. I leave a moist trail when I move. Blotches of diseased, evil gray come and go on my surface, as though light is being beamed from within.

Outwardly: dumbly, I shamble about, a thing that could never have been known as human, a thing whose shape is so alien a travesty that humanity becomes more obscene for the vague resemblance.

Inwardly: alone. Here. Living under the land, under the sea, in the belly of AM, whom we created because our time was badly spent and we must have known unconsciously that he could do it better. At least the four of them are safe at last.

AM will be all the madder for that. It makes me a little happier. And yet ... AM has won, simply ... he has taken his revenge ...

I have no mouth. And I must scream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
why are you quoting I have no mouth and I must scream lol

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

same

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
wow spoilers

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
OP has no dick, and he must cream.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
i like the harlan ellison story where the guy finds he has a doppelganger living his life but the doppelganger is actually the good one and the main guy is the evil one, anyway cya

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

That Robot posted:

why are you quoting I have no mouth and I must scream lol

He wants Ellison to sue SA out of existence.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Harlan Ellison wrote the terminator and cameron stole the script. look at the end of the credits for proof, it's true.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
heh, almost got me to read real literature but as we all know I only read original posts from the SA forums and I don't plan on letting that change anytime soon

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Rasta_Al posted:

OP has no dick, and he must cream.

same

:(

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rasta_Al posted:

OP has no dick

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
When I die, bury me
Hang my balls on the cherry tree
Let them get ripe then take a bite
And if they don't taste right
Then don't blame me

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Never actually read that outside the wiki summary so ty op

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Mariana Horchata posted:

When I die, bury me
Hang my balls on the cherry tree
Let them get ripe then take a bite
And if they don't taste right
Then don't blame me

nvm, it turns out i do have a dick, and did in fact cream

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Never actually read that outside the wiki summary so ty op
:cheers:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
isn't harlan elison the author that felt up some woman sf author's breasts on stage at a scifi convention

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

That Robot posted:

isn't harlan elison the author that felt up some woman sf author's breasts on stage at a scifi convention

hell what sci fi author is that NOT.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Doctor J Off posted:

i like the harlan ellison story where the guy finds he has a doppelganger living his life but the doppelganger is actually the good one and the main guy is the evil one, anyway cya

shatterday

i recommend everyone get his audiobooks on tape where he's narrating them himself - he's a loving great narrator and i morn the fact he'll never do any more

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

cram me sideways posted:

shatterday

i recommend everyone get his audiobooks on tape where he's narrating them himself - he's a loving great narrator and i morn the fact he'll never do any more

him voicing AM was one of the few good things about the ihnmaims video game.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
i'mma do my regular audible.com shill even though i get no commission or credit or referral or whatever the gently caress - i think it's a kickass business and they have a ton of cool poo poo for you to listen to in the car or while harvesting rat butts in WoW or whatever

if you're a new customer to audible, they have a trial period where you can download one free audiobook to keep, forever.

this is vol. 3 of harlan ellison's audiobooks and i think it's the drat best. join up, get the audiobook, then cancel right away. loving plug this poo poo in and listen to this weirdass man's weirdass stories. harlan ellison is one of the greats.

if you get all gay and hard for ellison after this then may i direct you to shag deep records to possibly buy his speech CDs where he ran around the US during the 70's 80's and 90's yelling at people and telling them how dumb they are and how great he was (he was and IS great)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's like when you type out a effort post response to something and hit Submit Reply and it goes 'You're on Probation!'

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

That Robot posted:

the author that felt up some woman sf author's breasts on stage at a scifi convention

that narrows it down

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

cram me sideways posted:

i'mma do my regular audible.com shill even though i get no commission or credit or referral or whatever the gently caress - i think it's a kickass business and they have a ton of cool poo poo for you to listen to in the car or while harvesting rat butts in WoW or whatever

How can you stand audio books? They read so drat slow it's infuriating.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

cram me sideways posted:

if you're a new customer to audible, they have a trial period where you can download one free audiobook to keep, forever.

this is vol. 3 of harlan ellison's audiobooks and i think it's the drat best. join up, get the audiobook, then cancel right away. loving plug this poo poo in and listen to this weirdass man's weirdass stories. harlan ellison is one of the greats.

if you get all gay and hard for ellison after this then may i direct you to shag deep records to possibly buy his speech CDs where he ran around the US during the 70's 80's and 90's yelling at people and telling them how dumb they are and how great he was (he was and IS great)

i just cancelled that poo poo cause it's pricey.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

imagne it: you have no mouth but you must make me cream

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

This might be my favorite video of Ellison. He's talking about when he no-poo poo marched on Selma with MLK, and says that he won't actually use the N-word as he's telling the story. He proceeds to absentmindedly drop an N bomb in the context of storytelling like 10 seconds later. The cameraman later points out that he did this, and Ellison firmly denies it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2w8aqFgxek

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Doppelganger posted:

This might be my favorite video of Ellison. He's talking about when he no-poo poo marched on Selma with MLK, and says that he won't actually use the N-word as he's telling the story. He proceeds to absentmindedly drop an N bomb in the context of storytelling like 10 seconds later. The cameraman later points out that he did this, and Ellison firmly denies it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2w8aqFgxek

that was funny, harlan ellison is a weird dude. it happens around 3mins and 5mins in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

How can you stand audio books? They read so drat slow it's infuriating.

I've tried with a few different books and yeah it's pretty hard to keep my mind from wandering just because they read so slow.

I have to actively concentrate on listening.

• Locked thread