Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This is the thread where we talk about The Daily Show and Nightly Show obviously.

Trevor Noah

Young, handsome, South African, and hated by bloggers for some reason. He inherited Jon Stewart's well oiled machine and is doing a fine job keeping it together as we enter a presidential year. He seems to have already ironed out a lot of the rougher edges he brought over by the time he wrapped up 2015, but more importantly he hasn't changed what worked with The Daily Show. More than less, it's still the same show. Despite having to cover yet another shooting right after starting his tenure, he hasn't yet been beaten down by all the bad news and bullshit like Jon was when he handed over the keys.

The Daily Show News Team:
Jessica Williams
Hassan Minhaj
Jordan Klepper
Roy Wood Jr.
Desi Lydic
Ronnie Chieng
Al Madrigal
John Hodgman
Kristen Schaal
Lewis Black
(Aasif Mandvi hasn't formally left the show but has noticeably been absent for a while, except for Jon's last show.)

Larry Wilmore

Some fans of his time as Senior Black Correspondent on TDS were probably a bit underwhelmed by Colbert's Comedy Central successor. Sometimes his delivery lacks a certain energy that made his fellow TDS alumni more engaging in their own programs. He does get pretty fired up about police violence, racism, and Bill Cosby, so we'll sometimes get some really good stuff. For better or for worse, he seems to enjoy moderating panels in a manner where he gets to hang out with his comedian buddies. I've been more generous to him than most people in last year's thread, but I don't expect him to shake up the format of the show more than he already did. Most of the thread will be about TDS, but we're keeping Nightly here too because it makes more sense than talking about the show in the main late night thread.

Larry's also hosting the White House Correspondents Dinner this year.

The Nightly Show Contributors:
Mike Yard
Ricky Velez
Grace Parra
Rory Albanese
Robin Thede
Holly Walker
Jordan Carlos
Franchesca Ramsey

If you want to talk about Colbert, go to the main late night thread. John Oliver's show also has its own thread.

2015 thread

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Daily show viewership is crashing. And nightly show never had a viewership.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Counter Point: Daily show viewership is reasonably strong and comedy central has invested long term in the show as an establishment.

And Trevor is great.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I wonder if that's how they'll be doing the intro from now on.

Also, I didn't hear Dog on Fire. Where is Dog on Fire? :ohdear:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Why is a Superman symbol on a gun holster? :argh:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

raditts posted:

I wonder if that's how they'll be doing the intro from now on.

Also, I didn't hear Dog on Fire. Where is Dog on Fire? :ohdear:

Good question. I didn't like those changes.

Also, this David Cross interview. Holy poo poo, he didn't seem pleased that Noah completely misunderstood nevernudes.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Man David Cross is a treat.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Dr Christmas posted:

Why is a Superman symbol on a gun holster? :argh:

At least it's not the Batman symbol.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Holy poo poo that PSA.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The PSA is pretty much telling kids not to call the cops if they see a stranger walking around with a gun. I find that amusing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Echo Chamber posted:

Larry's also hosting the White House Correspondents Dinner this year.

oh. great.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Madkal posted:

The PSA is pretty much telling kids not to call the cops if they see a stranger walking around with a gun. I find that amusing.

But there's nothing wrong or out of the ordinary with strangers walking around brandishing firearms! :clint:

This message brought to you by Texas.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IRQ posted:

But there's nothing wrong or out of the ordinary with strangers walking around brandishing firearms! :clint:

This message brought to you by Texas.

As long as those citizens aren't of the suspicious type your grandmother would warn you about.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I understand that Noah is meeting the impossible heights of Stewart's All Time Best years.

But where else am I going to go for a funny, informative, left-of-center take on headlines? Young Turks is way too liberal and sanctimonious for my personal tastes.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can't believe Larry is making hating M. Night Shymalyn a thing in 2016.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Narcissus1916 posted:

I understand that Noah is meeting the impossible heights of Stewart's All Time Best years.

But where else am I going to go for a funny, informative, left-of-center take on headlines? Young Turks is way too liberal and sanctimonious for my personal tastes.

it's not just that stewart had 18 years to get his shtick down to a science, it's that he also had some amazing correspondents during his run. noah still has klepper and williams and minhaj from the old show, but i wouldn't have ranked them in the top 10 of all correspondents over stewart's entire run, and now as the tenured correspondents they feel luke-warm at best. the other three people that joined with noah haven't hit on a character or really delivered a piece that cemented them as super talented and funny.

i think the biggest change overall is that jon had some seriously talented correspondents to back him up if his writers were having an off day (carrell and colbert, just to name two), whereas noah basically has to carry the entire show on his merit alone.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Noah, no, please, sit back down at the desk, sit down there, standing up and annoucing whats coming up next, your making me associate the daily show with the nightly show, and I don't want that to happen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Those oregon dipshits being nothing but the butt of late night jokes is pretty great. I say just turn off the water and power and let everyone laugh at the clowns.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Noah, no, please, sit back down at the desk, sit down there, standing up and annoucing whats coming up next, your making me associate the daily show with the nightly show, and I don't want that to happen.

This and the change of the theme song for some reason really irked me. That old theme was the last holdover from the old, old guard: Kilborn. I still cant help singing the theme with the lyrics Bill Murray so painstakingly wrote.

Also, I noticed that Trevor's interviews are all sweet and no sour. I mean to say he is ALWAYS in love with or honored by his guest in a fanboy way. I know he's trying to sell stuff but at least Jon was a little critical of some of his guests. His Yakov Smirnoff gags are running thin too. I know its crazy here in the USA... but in Africa its craaaaazy. Here's to him honing his craft this year- Rome wasn't built in a day.... but in Africa something something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ya'll don't remember poo poo when Jon first got on, same ol' poo poo. He changed stuff, people whined.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I get more of a Stone Philips, totally serious newsmagazine show intro, feel. It's still not good.

IRQ posted:

Those oregon dipshits being nothing but the butt of late night jokes is pretty great. I say just turn off the water and power and let everyone laugh at the clowns.

I know it's actually counterproductive and they'll just crawl home when they realize no one gives a poo poo about how hard they're flipping off daddy with this totally intense idiocy, but I'm really wanting big daddy "governmental overreach" to come give them a reason to cry. All these Bundys are just really annoying with being able to point their guns and rattle off treasonous tripe with impunity while that National Guard rolls in with tanks and poo poo to Ferguson and Baltimore.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Justin_Brett posted:

I can't believe Larry is making hating M. Night Shymalyn a thing in 2016.

Good.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
trevor is a decent host but still giving off strong fake vibes, will probably take years for him to drop that poo poo if ever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I like Trevor and the correspondents and I think the show has been great.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Gyges posted:

I know it's actually counterproductive and they'll just crawl home when they realize no one gives a poo poo about how hard they're flipping off daddy with this totally intense idiocy, but I'm really wanting big daddy "governmental overreach" to come give them a reason to cry. All these Bundys are just really annoying with being able to point their guns and rattle off treasonous tripe with impunity while that National Guard rolls in with tanks and poo poo to Ferguson and Baltimore.

it's the ultimate troll.

you're a bunch of mostly unarmed protesters staging demonstrations about real things that effect your community? here comes the jack-booted thugs you motherfuckers.

you're a group of well armed nut-jobs spoiling for a fight in some mostly desolate rural area? lol yeah right like the government is going to roll up and give you something to shoot at, in your dreams bro.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

raditts posted:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

raditts posted:

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one. Trevor Noah & friends is a lot of fun.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Murdered children is sad and all, but what about the terrorists???

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The whole "sneaker market" has always been the dumbest loving thing to me. It just baffles me that people care that loving much.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

raditts posted:

Don't want to empty quote but really I can't say it any more succinctly. Roy Wood Jr. is my favorite of the new people, but I really like most of them.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
What the hell? That person asked a really good question on Twitter about the paucity of gun crimes committed by people with mental illness and Larry basically rephrased the question such that it lost its entire purpose?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So, caught up on the week.

Jesus Christ how is someone's first reaction to the President of one of the world's most powerful nations shedding tears over his country's apparent inability to not kill their own children... to ask why he didn't do the same thing with terrorist attacks? Like, I get maybe the dissonance can feel weird, but to be that loving indignant about it?

In other but less serious wtf news, oh my god sneaker culture.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pillow Hat posted:

What the hell? That person asked a really good question on Twitter about the paucity of gun crimes committed by people with mental illness and Larry basically rephrased the question such that it lost its entire purpose?

That's because the Nightly Show is a bizarro version of TDS that's aggressively unfunny and spreads ignorance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy7GOO7Y96Y

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Murdered children is sad and all, but what about the terrorists???

If he'd cried about the terror attacks they'd be all like "Look how weak Obama is what a terrible leader showing how weak America is that loving pussy weak surrender monkey."

Obama can't win no matter what he does.

Also:

raditts posted:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I really like the current show, but whenever people call him "Trev," I get flashbacks to high school, where everyone called me that. I don't know why, but it always irritated me.

Let's hope it doesn't take a massive terrorist attack for Trevor to really find his footing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

If he'd cried about the terror attacks they'd be all like "Look how weak Obama is what a terrible leader showing how weak America is that loving pussy weak surrender monkey."

Obama can't win no matter what he does.

Which is why it's good that he's finally taken the step of Not Giving a gently caress.
I wish he had started doing it years sooner.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I wrote an email to CC asking them to not change to this awful remixed intro they're using now. Dog on Fire is an institution and should be upheld for future generations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sorry she has a really dumb Etsy shop.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

This segment is fantastic and I hope they do more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

M_Gargantua posted:

I wrote an email to CC asking them to not change to this awful remixed intro they're using now. Dog on Fire is an institution and should be upheld for future generations.

I actually like the remix.

• Locked thread