Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Holy poo poo that Jessica Williams bit was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
People like that are just beyond help. He said that bullshit out loud and didn't look embarrassed.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Winkie01 posted:

hahahahaha holy loving poo poo this guy talking to Jessica

Zero One posted:

Well that guy said a thing.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Holy poo poo that Jessica Williams bit was amazing.

This segment got a hard 5-vote for sure.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

jessica williams is 10000000x better when shes talking to the public

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I thought the segment was funny but I really wish the town hadn't caved because once the explanation came out and was verified there's nothing wrong with the seal.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

GutBomb posted:

I thought the segment was funny but I really wish the town hadn't caved because once the explanation came out and was verified there's nothing wrong with the seal.
Was Jessica Williams nice? She looked pretty happy to be interviewing you.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So the segment ends with Jessica asking the mayor if he'd be okay acting out the seal with her, he says yes, and then they don't move on to do it? That is not cool.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LividLiquid posted:

Was Jessica Williams nice? She looked pretty happy to be interviewing you.

Yeah I'm the equivalent of the dumb old guy who doesn't know how to talk to black people because I think that something that isn't racist isn't racist.

The people referenced by the seal aren't offended. The people that are offended are people that don't know what the seal is. And I suppose some that do. "Let us city folk tell you country bumpkins what you're doing wrong" and all that.

The seal is fine.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GutBomb posted:

Yeah I'm the equivalent of the dumb old guy who doesn't know how to talk to black people because I think that something that isn't racist isn't racist.

The people referenced by the seal aren't offended. The people that are offended are people that don't know what the seal is. And I suppose some that do. "Let us city folk tell you country bumpkins what you're doing wrong" and all that.

The seal is fine.

Half of the people referenced by the seal are unhappy with it. A representative of theirs sat down and chatted with Jessica about how they didn't like it.

Yes, after you explain the seal it does look less racist. However if everyone who sees it's first reaction is that your city seal is a white dude choking a native american, you should really go back and rethink the design.

At the very least have it be the white guy doing a leg drop from the turnbuckle so that everyone knows it's wrasslin and not attempted murder.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Gyges posted:

Half of the people referenced by the seal are unhappy with it. A representative of theirs sat down and chatted with Jessica about how they didn't like it.

Well, a Lenape (a tribe not from the area and not someone from the Oneida tribe represented in the seal) activist was unhappy with it.

It's cool that you think it's racist or looks racist or whatever. And I just think people from outside their community that don't know what they are talking about should mind their own business.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Well, a Lenape (a tribe not from the area and not someone from the Oneida tribe represented in the seal) activist was unhappy with it.

It's cool that you think it's racist or looks racist or whatever. And I just think people from outside their community that don't know what they are talking about should mind their own business.

You really think that concept flies in 2016, years after the information revolution?

Most of the country is aware of Whitesboro and their racist-rear end seal.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

"No no, this is a depiction of a compassionate nazi guard leading a family of jews to an ACTUAL shower, so they can clean up before he helps them escape the hell of the concentration camp. And he's smiling because he's so happy because he knows he'll save them."

– someone trying to explain the highly inappropriate town seal of Auschwitz.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mcbexx posted:

"No no, this is a depiction of a compassionate nazi guard leading a family of jews to an ACTUAL shower, so they can clean up before he helps them escape the hell of the concentration camp. And he's smiling because he's so happy because he knows he'll save them."

– someone trying to explain the highly inappropriate town seal of Auschwitz.

i'm quoting this post just so, when you look back on it a year later, you realize how deeply, deeply embarrassing this is

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I'm glad the seal was changed because despite a (surprisingly) reasonable explanation that (surprisingly) checks out, it's important to consider how it looks regardless. It's sort of like people who get swastika tattoos for Buddhist reasons (which, by the way mcbexx, would have been a much less asinine comparison). Like sure, maybe you're not racist and maybe it's a symbol of peace in your mind -- but you sure as hell look like a racist rear end in a top hat.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pillow Hat posted:

I'm glad the seal was changed because despite a (surprisingly) reasonable explanation that (surprisingly) checks out, it's important to consider how it looks regardless. It's sort of like people who get swastika tattoos for Buddhist reasons (which, by the way mcbexx, would have been a much less asinine comparison). Like sure, maybe you're not racist and maybe it's a symbol of peace in your mind -- but you sure as hell look like a racist rear end in a top hat.
Yeah, to me it looked like something out of Parks & Recreation, like one of their town hall murals:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pillow Hat posted:

I thought of the buddhist swastika, but it's not really the same thing since wrestling is being mistaken for throttling, not the bad wrestling. Though years ago when I worked in a car wash I did have to talk some guys down about how hosed up the Nazi car was that came through, driven by an old Asian couple.

It seems more like using a stylized eagle in your seal. If everyone is telling you that your eagle is looking a little too much like one of the infamous stylized eagles, you should probably go back and reexamine it. Like the town apparently did back in the 70s. There's got to be a way to depict wrestling that doesn't look like choking/pushing to the ground.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pillow Hat posted:

the manji isn't the swastika and has extremely important religious connotations (it's why hitler co-opted it and reversed the arms in the first place)

i get your implication but that's the worst possible comparison you could have made, considering that a religion all about peace and love that used a symbol for literally hundreds of years before a german douchebag stole it and critically changed it to mean the exact opposite of what the symbol stood for shouldn't have to kowtow to assholes who don't understand that pointing left != pointing right

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Gyges posted:

It seems more like using a stylized eagle in your seal. If everyone is telling you that your eagle is looking a little too much like one of the infamous stylized eagles, you should probably go back and reexamine it. Like the town apparently did back in the 70s. There's got to be a way to depict wrestling that doesn't look like choking/pushing to the ground.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

the manji isn't the swastika and has extremely important religious connotations (it's why hitler co-opted it and reversed the arms in the first place)

i get your implication but that's the worst possible comparison you could have made, considering that a religion all about peace and love that used a symbol for literally hundreds of years before a german douchebag stole it and critically changed it to mean the exact opposite of what the symbol stood for shouldn't have to kowtow to assholes who don't understand that pointing left != pointing right

Alright man. Go ahead and get a manji tattoo, and you're welcome to explain to everyone that you're not a racist rear end in a top hat, you're just a tone deaf fat toddler.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pillow Hat posted:

Alright man. Go ahead and get a manji tattoo, and you're welcome to explain to everyone that you're not a racist rear end in a top hat, you're just a tone deaf fat toddler.

Buddhists and Hindus, notorious tone deaf fat toddlers.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Gyges posted:

Buddhists and Hindus, notorious tone deaf fat toddlers.

Yeah that's what most Americans think of when they see a swastika.

In the immortal words of The Dude, "You're not wrong, you're just an rear end in a top hat."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pillow Hat posted:

In the immortal words of The Dude, "You're not wrong, you're just an rear end in a top hat."

If you're getting a manji or other swastika like symbol tattooed on you or embedded in you possessions and you're not a white supremacist, it's almost certainly going to be religious.

rear end in a top hat loving Buddhists, man.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pillow Hat posted:

Yeah, it's like it makes sense when you know the story behind it, but if you need to give a backstory for why your picture is not as bad as it looks then you may want to consider you have a perception problem.

As for the buddhist symbols, those are called manji and the difference is that they are set at a 90-degree angle while swastikas are tilted at a 45-degree angle. I feel bad for cases like that because it preceded swastikas by hundreds of years (and I'm told that maps in Japan don't use them to mark actual Buddhist temples anymore for that very reason), but unfortunately it's much harder to clean up an image when some rear end in a top hat ruins it with things like genocide.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pillow Hat posted:

it's not a loving swastika, it's a manji

are you not aware that right and left are different directions

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Pillow Hat posted:

There are people other than Americans.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Soylentbits posted:

There are people other than Americans.

Are you really a person if you haven't imbibed the sweet freedom available only to American citizens? It was all just a bunch of smelly apes until 1789 when god wrote the secrets of humanity on parchment.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gyges posted:

Are you really a person if you haven't imbibed the sweet freedom available only to American citizens? It was all just a bunch of smelly apes until 1789 when god wrote the secrets of humanity on parchment.

*Some restrictions may apply.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

You're welcome to argue semantics and get stuck in the minutiae of the example I was using if you like, but the point is that perceptions matter. I'm not talking about a Nepalese Buddhist displaying his religious imagery, I'm talking about people who deliberately ignore the significance of historical context and what effect that might have on perception. Just as I frown upon white people getting the Swastika tattooed on themselves with whatever good intentions they may have, I frown upon Whitesboro's (former) seal for looking like some racist bullshit.

We live in the real world where people make judgments based on the information at hand, not in an academic seminar where people consider all possible reasons a town's seal might apparently depict a white person choking an Indian.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Pillow Hat posted:

You're welcome to argue semantics and get stuck in the minutiae of the example I was using if you like, but the point is that perceptions matter. I'm not talking about a Nepalese Buddhist displaying his religious imagery, I'm talking about people who deliberately ignore the significance of historical context and what effect that might have on perception. Just as I frown upon white people getting the Swastika tattooed on themselves with whatever good intentions they may have, I frown upon Whitesboro's (former) seal for looking like some racist bullshit.

We live in the real world where people make judgments based on the information at hand, not in an academic seminar where people consider all possible reasons a town's seal might apparently depict a white person choking an Indian.

Alternatively, the purpose of a town seal is to visually communicate something about a town. When people outside the town interpret it as depicting a murder, clearly it's not communicating effectively.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'll never forget my US history high school teacher getting into a big row with another student in 2004.

Kid was some punkass idiot who said he was an "anarchist" and tried to prove it by wearing a big metal confederate flag belt buckle.

And whenever anyone would give him poo poo, he'd throw on his best "actually..." smug face and lecture us on what the symbol REALLY meant.

Our teacher finally tore into him after the pissant tried to hijack a lecture. And I remember my teacher telling him very calmly "It doesn't matter what the symbol really means. What matters is that people perceive you to sympathize with the south's legacy of slavery. I'm not saying you support that, son. I'm telling you what message you're sending to everyone who sees that belt buckle."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Toxxupation posted:

it's not a loving swastika, it's a manji

are you not aware that right and left are different directions

They actually can face either right or left and while they're usually oriented up and down, some are at the same angle as the Nazi one. I've lived in Asia for years and seen every possible permutation of swastika on all sorts of Buddhist stuff.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

If they keep the wrestling motif and portray the historical friendship between the two, that's great.

They just need a better seal that isn't easily misinterpreted garbage.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'll never forget my US history high school teacher getting into a big row with another student in 2004.

Kid was some punkass idiot who said he was an "anarchist" and tried to prove it by wearing a big metal confederate flag belt buckle.

And whenever anyone would give him poo poo, he'd throw on his best "actually..." smug face and lecture us on what the symbol REALLY meant.

Our teacher finally tore into him after the pissant tried to hijack a lecture. And I remember my teacher telling him very calmly "It doesn't matter what the symbol really means. What matters is that people perceive you to sympathize with the south's legacy of slavery. I'm not saying you support that, son. I'm telling you what message you're sending to everyone who sees that belt buckle."

Funny thing, the Confederate Flag actually is about traitorous shitstacks trying to own black people and nothing else. There is no heritage about it and it only "coincidentally" reappeared in the 1960s when the South started flying it to honor the history as the Civil Rights movement was underway. At the very least they could have used one of the lovely actual Confederate flags instead of talking up the honor and history of the glorious 4 year existence of the Confederate Navy, by using their second flag which they used for only 2 years.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Tomero_the_Great posted:

If they keep the wrestling motif and portray the historical friendship between the two, that's great.

They just need a better seal that isn't easily misinterpreted garbage.

This is what I don't get. If you want to have two guys wrestling because of historical references then do that, but you can probably do a symbol that is a lot better than the one that they came up with. You can keep the wrestling aspect but maybe lower the white guys hands or try to show that the Native guy isn't getting strangled to death.

Also for all the Swastika talk, I am sorry the Nazis hosed up some symbol but it is pretty much seen globally (or at least throughout Europe and North America) as a symbol of hate and getting it tattooed on yourself will get you grouped in with skinheads no matter how hard you explain "the true meaning, dude".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Supposedly there's another thinkpiece going around asking why people don't like Trevor Noah.

I read someone else commenting on it, but didn't click on it myself. I think it also argues that The Nightly Show is better, which is a rather.... unpopular opinion to say the least.

Edit: I think a real reason bloggers hate Trevor Noah is because they hate the idea that The Daily Show host is younger than most of them.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 26, 2016

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

Supposedly there's another thinkpiece going around asking why people don't like Trevor Noah.

I read someone else commenting on it, but didn't click on it myself. I think it also argues that The Nightly Show is better, which is a rather.... unpopular opinion to say the least.

Could it be Slate's piece?

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cover_story/2016/01/why_america_isn_t_paying_attention_to_the_daily_show_with_trevor_noah_in.html

"..I am the exact kind of person the new Daily Show is targeting...yet I have found The Daily Show milquetoast and broad, diverting in the soothing way I associate with the Jimmys of network late night. On Trevor Noah’s Daily Show, outrages are an occasion for bemused laughter, not righteously funny indignation." - Willa Paskin, Slate Person

That's right folks, milquetoast, bemused and righteous funny indignation. We're through the looking glass people.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Echo Chamber posted:

Edit: I think a real reason bloggers hate Trevor Noah is because they hate the idea that The Daily Show host is younger than most of them.
I find the problem is that Trevor Noah is almost a non-entity. He reads a bunch of jokes in a row in a jovial manner. It seems fake. I want him to say something off the cuff or get fired up about something. Hell, talk about interesting things going on in Africa that us Americans might not know about. I like John Oliver because he gets pissed about stuff and uncovers interesting stories that the media glosses over.

The only reason to currently watch TDS is the correspondent pieces.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

JazzFlight posted:

I find the problem is that Trevor Noah is almost a non-entity. He reads a bunch of jokes in a row in a jovial manner. It seems fake. I want him to say something off the cuff or get fired up about something. Hell, talk about interesting things going on in Africa that us Americans might not know about. I like John Oliver because he gets pissed about stuff and uncovers interesting stories that the media glosses over.

He talks about and references Africa all the time. I mean poo poo, a couple pages ago in this very thread someone was crying specifically because he talks about Africa.

RugClockVexx posted:

Could it be Slate's piece?

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cover_story/2016/01/why_america_isn_t_paying_attention_to_the_daily_show_with_trevor_noah_in.html

"..I am the exact kind of person the new Daily Show is targeting...yet I have found The Daily Show milquetoast and broad, diverting in the soothing way I associate with the Jimmys of network late night. On Trevor Noah’s Daily Show, outrages are an occasion for bemused laughter, not righteously funny indignation." - Willa Paskin, Slate Person

That's right folks, milquetoast, bemused and righteous funny indignation. We're through the looking glass people.

The most surprising thing about this is the idea that people actually give a poo poo about Slate articles.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 26, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JazzFlight posted:

This was true about 97% of all Jon Stewart Daily Shows. We'll have to wait for Trevor to get 9/11ed or something completely heinous, like all the times Jon got fired up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think the article is dead-on on Noah's current lack of influence. There IS a Daily Show sized hole in our culture.

I tried filling it with Colbert's new show and it was fuckawful and had as much bite as a midline Kimmel monologue.

Seth Meyer's a pretty good Relief Pitcher though; I just started watching his show and it has far more insight that SNL ever did.

The article also found one issue where Wilmore clearly had a smarter more nuanced take than Noah. Wilmore is great when its an issue he cares about - but that's all too rare.

• Locked thread