Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
There's something kinda magical about an unknown girl beating out hundreds of other competitors to land the breakout role ... of an unknown girl beating out hundreds of other competitors to land a breakout role.

I'm sure it helps the VA with the characterization, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

They held auditions for Freyja at the end of 2014 and they had like 10000 people audition for it or something. Just like for Frontier they wanted a new talent for the role of the new talent

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like Mirage better than Freyja, but I like Freyja's relationship with Hayate more.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Freyja is fun, ya?

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Oh man that ear thing is too goddamn cute :swoon:

Edit:

Amstrad fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 20, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like that neither of the heroines is human.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Well, depending on who Mirage's dad was, she could be either 3/4 human or 1/4 human.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kanos posted:

Well, depending on who Mirage's dad was, she could be either 3/4 human or 1/4 human.

I know they haven't said which of the Jenius girls is Mirage's mom, but I hope it's this one.

The macross wiki says that Mylene is her aunt, but i don't know if that's actually true or not.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 20, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Miranda is her mom according to some TV interview I think. And that's Komilia that's being tossed if I recall.

Also, if Mirage's mom is one of Max and Millia's kids, and she is, then Mylene is her aunt by default.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

tsob posted:

Also, if Mirage's mom is one of Max and Millia's kids, and she is, then Mylene is her aunt by default.

Right, if she is her aunt it just narrows the field of contenders by one. And yeah, that's their first so it's Komilla in macrossbabytoss.gif

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 20, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Dirty little secret: I've never seen the sub. So I know there were scenes cut, now I just saw one I guess.

Whelp, time to download a Macross sub.

...whenever I can find the time to watch it.

But. I refuse to watch Macross 7 unless it's a drinking game.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Your loss.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Does it get better? I watched 2 episodes and then drank myself to sleep because it made me.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

It's pretty repetitive from what I remember, so it depends on how much you like the music and characters.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I guess I'll pick up a 6-pack. Wish me luck.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Dirty little secret: I've never seen the sub. So I know there were scenes cut, now I just saw one I guess.

Whelp, time to download a Macross sub.

...whenever I can find the time to watch it.

But. I refuse to watch Macross 7 unless it's a drinking game.

This person didn't buy the Animeigo DVDs. :smugbert:

You should rewatch the Macross 7 movie to figure out who Mirage's mom is. It's probably not Emilia.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Demicol posted:

It's pretty repetitive from what I remember, so it depends on how much you like the music and characters.

It really is way too long. 49 episodes and a 4 episode OVA. They pretty clearly didn't have enough story for 49 episodes, and probably not enough budget with all the reused animation throughout.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Mogomra posted:

It really is way too long. 49 episodes and a 4 episode OVA. They pretty clearly didn't have enough story for 49 episodes, and probably not enough budget with all the reused animation throughout.

... so you're saying drink so much I can't remember the animation and it'll be new each time.

Got it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
*sigh*

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I have seen the first 3 episodes. I have no strong feelings.

Expected to despise it because idol singer jpop moe poo poo is a fair bit of why I don't like the animu in spite of like reading Fred Schodt books in 1989 once the back end of Robotech Art 1 told me what all this cool robot poo poo was from.

I didn't hate it but wasn't wowed either. Reminds me a bit of G Reconguista in it being weird people acting weird in future space times and nobody does things that are rational or relatable to my 41 year old American rear end.

Because it's Macross I'll give it a couple more episodes but probably not as many as I gave Reco before giving up on it for being full of unrelatable weirdoes even more than anime is full of to begin with.

The robots aren't very cool either. But I wasn't a fan of Frontier's rides all that much and the main one seems a bit evolved from it with some cues from the buttload of Valks in the Dreamcast game.

Harmony Gold still eats a big pile of herpes laden goat scrotums though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tell me about harmony gold

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Name sounds like a cigarette company.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Harmony Gold is the company that acquired the rights to Macross in the west effectively in perpetuity back in the 80s when anime producers assumed there was no real audience over here for their shows and wanted to make a quick buck. Harmony Gold used those rights to create Robotech and not a whole lot ever since. They are notoriously litigious about anything related to the franchise despite sitting on it for almost two decades now and are pretty much the entire reason why Macross Delta isn't being simulcast on something like Crunchyroll or Daisuki like basically every other major anime series today, as nobody is willing to risk the costs of being dragged into court by HG regardless of the eventual outcome.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Are there bankrupt? Just sitting on old ip?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
They do sometimes release new robotech stuff direct to DVD but basically they're squatting yeah.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Macross 7 is cool, and heck I have no qualms calling it the best entry in the series despite the few flaws

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Marcoss is always cool.

I then watched top gun and realized it's still a decent film with a few questionable scenes

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Macross 7 needed to be about half as long as it was.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Kanos posted:

Harmony Gold is the company that acquired the rights to Macross in the west effectively in perpetuity back in the 80s when anime producers assumed there was no real audience over here for their shows and wanted to make a quick buck. Harmony Gold used those rights to create Robotech and not a whole lot ever since. They are notoriously litigious about anything related to the franchise despite sitting on it for almost two decades now and are pretty much the entire reason why Macross Delta isn't being simulcast on something like Crunchyroll or Daisuki like basically every other major anime series today, as nobody is willing to risk the costs of being dragged into court by HG regardless of the eventual outcome.

This is mostly true. They have the rights to the Mechs or something, but not the actual anime. Or vice versa? They hosed up getting the rights and never realized it until it was too late and didn't bother to try to fix it. Either way, they can't release Macross in the US for real either. At least as far as I've read. There are people on the Macross World forums that have researched this a lot.

caberham posted:

Are there bankrupt?

Not really. They're into real estate development too. I think they're a conglomerate that will just keep going forever.

caberham posted:

Just sitting on old ip?

Probably. They just don't give a gently caress/don't know what the gently caress to do with the rights they have for Macross.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
They do sell decent mugs.

My SDF-1 mug is my favorite mug.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

caberham posted:

Marcoss is always cool.

I then watched top gun and realized it's still a decent film with a few questionable scenes

The part where Tom cruise corners lady in the ladies room...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Srice posted:

Macross 7 is cool, and heck I have no qualms calling it the best entry in the series despite the few flaws

That's not very high praise of Macross from you, then.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

7 has many fantastic moments, but i too think it would be better if it was shorter. As it is it's still good though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

That's not very high praise of Macross from you, then.

Actually, the opposite reading is true.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mogomra posted:

This is mostly true. They have the rights to the Mechs or something, but not the actual anime. Or vice versa? They hosed up getting the rights and never realized it until it was too late and didn't bother to try to fix it. Either way, they can't release Macross in the US for real either. At least as far as I've read. There are people on the Macross World forums that have researched this a lot.

Yeah, it's pretty muddy. The important point is that they believe they own enough of a claim to the franchise that they can attempt to legally bully anyone trying to do anything related to the franchise, which is enough to scare most people off bothering to try because it's not worth the legal fees.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
The Harmony Gold situation is one of the things I'd work on unfucking if I had unlimited resources (see: CASH)

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
Harmony gold must rake in the dough licencing tat like this.
https://www.80stees.com/products/robotech-skull-one-sublimation-costume-hoodie
No wonder they don't try to do anything constructive with their "rights".

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Major Ricardo posted:

Harmony gold must rake in the dough licencing tat like this.
https://www.80stees.com/products/robotech-skull-one-sublimation-costume-hoodie
No wonder they don't try to do anything constructive with their "rights".

I would spend $30 less on that. Easy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I gotta say, it was tempting. But I would never wear it anyway, and gently caress harmony gold too. I bought a mug, that's all they're getting from me.
:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Go get it.
http://www.ggkthx.org/2016/04/macross-delta-04/

• Locked thread