Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The funny part is, HG's ownership of the rights isn't even technically valid, because Studio Nue owns the Macross IP in Japan 100% and HG most certainly did not buy the rights from Nue (they did so from Tatsunoko instead)

if the other big American licensors pooled their funds they could probably thunderfuck HG in court over this, especially given that HG pretty much only uses the license maliciously

This sounds incredibly similar to the way people try to argue that income taxes are illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

iirc the Harmony Gold deal was for exclusive distribution of Macross outside Japan forever? That sorta thing would stay with the intellectual property.

Just the sorta thing that happened a lot in the 70s/80s, anime studios not knowing that some of their stuff might have a viable international audience so they'd eagerly sign away for than they should just for some extra cash.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harmony Gold is lame but they have those rights locked down pretty hard so the only way we'll see a Delta simulcast is if someone wants to pay a bunch to get streaming rights out there.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Macross 7 is cool, and heck I have no qualms calling it the best entry in the series despite the few flaws

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

That's not very high praise of Macross from you, then.

Actually, the opposite reading is true.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Macross 2 is alright. It has some neat ideas, but is hamstrung by skimming over the interesting ideas in favor of hitting similar beats as the original series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mogomra posted:

Macross II is on Hulu, and I believe you can watch it without even having a subscription. I could be totally wrong on the second part though. Macross Plus too.

Macross II was extremely my poo poo growing up. The VF-2ss is my favorite Valk. I'm scared to go back and watch it again, because I'm pretty sure it is extremely poo poo.

It's honestly just incredibly average since it gets cold feet and plays it too safe.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's like a peek into a mirror world where subsequent Macross entries were like Gundam alternate universe shows

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zero is a neat showcase of what they could do with CG back then, it would have a better rep if that last episode or two wasn't a smoldering mess in the writing department

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zwingley posted:

Is there not a Macross megathread or anything I can use to sorta prime myself on the franchise? I feel like there was at some point, because I've read about the Harmony Gold stuff before, but a cursory look through the forum didn't help me.

Watch Macross Plus, it's short and good.

The series can be watched in any order tho after Plus I suggest hitting it up in production order.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

So as somebody who has only watched Macross Plus, this looks like a major tonal whiplash from that show. i can sorta see similarities, but I'm having trouble reconciling the two as being part of the same franchise. Is Macross Plus more its own thing than the rest of the franchise, or are all the shows markedly different? Because I ain't a fan of J-Pop, while I thought Yoko Kanno's soundtrack for Plus was excellent because it was so diverse.

Everything in the franchise is a bit different in its own way.

Based on what you've said I suggest hitting up the original series if you're thinking of checking out more Macross stuff.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It used to be on Hulu (and for whatecer reason is on crackle now too) and it has been released on dvd in some form at least 3 times already over the past decade or so.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

psyer posted:

What is the recommended viewing order if we wanted to watch the old Macross? Do I want to watch the TV series and skip the movies or vice versa? Are there series that I should skip/required to watch?

They're not heavy on continuity between series at all outside of some nods and general setting stuff, and the later shows recap what's important so you can watch them in any order. It's good to start with the original series though since it gives you an idea of where the other Macross series are coming from. Do You Remember Love isn't a substitute for the tv series by any means, but it's an incredibly gorgeous movie that's worth checking out at some point after finishing the tv series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zero's mainly worth watching for historical purposes at this point. Despite the dated CG it's the last time Itano was involved with the franchise so the choreography is pretty aces and that aspect hold up.

It's a shame about the script exploding in the last few eps but oh well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Isamu had a very short cameo in the second Frontier movie, and in the Frontier tv series they use the Ghosts in combat (and mentioned that they were the machines that "terrorized Macross City")

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's also a reference in Macross 7, notsomuch plot but there's a scene where some Sharon Apple music is playing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like that the Sharon Apple incident is apparently not enough to get radio stations to stop playing her songs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

So after seeing the new Star Trek I felt the need to rewatch the original Macross and it was great, old but grounded. I had never seen Macross 7 so I got that next, I'm like 8 episodes in but this is the poster-child for everything wrong with 90s anime it's just awful, does it ever get better or I am doomed to god knows how many episodes of "LISTEN TO MY SONG" *stock footage* "THEY DIDN'T LISTEN TO MY SONG" *Everyone loves Basara for reasons?*

It takes about a dozen episodes before the main story gets moving

But also there's a lot of people who give Basara poo poo even early on!!

Major Ricardo posted:

They could of done the show in half the episodes so...

Also Basara is an rear end in a top hat and I never could figure out why people put up with his poo poo. Also Milia wanting her dughter to marry at 14 is kind of creepy even for anime. TEAM GAMLIN 4 LIFE

Mylene being 14 is some weird anime age thing, I think they just wanted to be cute with numbers. There's a lot of 7's in Macross 7! (The episode count is 49 episodes, Mylene's age and being the 7th child, 7 Protodeviln, etc etc) Outside of her age being mentioned she never feels 14, rather she feels fresh out of highschool since she's part of a band full time and isn't a student or anything.

Srice fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 29, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The postwar stuff is real cool since most shows would spend an episode at most on that sorta thing, and would never think of giving it a dozen or so episodes. I can even forgive how they fail back some characterization to keep it going since everything surrounding it is so strong.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In the final episode you see him open a locket or something with a picture of her inside.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't think there was any backlash against Frontier. The series wound up doing pretty well for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

trucutru posted:

In my case it's more like I find it hard to believe they carefully went into production with that boring-as-hell script. (e: and yet that's what they did) If somehow they were forced to change poo poo by some unforeseen reason then, well, that sucks but I can understand that the result can be iffy. But if everything went according to plan then, well, the dudes in charge have no idea of what they're doing and nobody stopped them.

I call it the "Other M" phenomenon.

As someone who unfortunately watched all of Nobunaga the Fool (Which I think was the last show Kawamori was heavily involved in?), I can attest that Kawamori is more than capable of putting out content that is lame and boring

• Locked thread