Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Delta looks great and has a fun preview episode with a song that's been playing constantly, whether in my head or on my computer, since I watched it, but this seems a bit premature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I like our leads. He's snarky in a fun-to-watch way, she's energetic and optimistic in an endearing way, and that latter normally isn't my favorite sort of lead. All the action is ridiculous, and a bit hard to follow, whether it's the dogfighting or the songfighting, but it's fun. I like the songs well enough, particularly Ikenai BORDERLINE, which seems to have a strange power over me. The songfighting is particularly ridiculous, and I'm curious if they'll try to explain why it's a good idea to jump around outside of any sort of vehicle, and why, given that it is apparently a good idea, they bother with the dogfighting. I'd be OK with them asking the audience to just roll with it, though, I'm in this for the spectacle, I think. I like the glimpse of the enemy pilots we got, they seem like a good haughty bunch, the sort of villains I like to watch when they're winning and like to watch when they're losing. The pacing is a bit wonky. They seemed to feel a need to put everything into it, which leaves nothing time to breathe, and I feel they've told us too much of what's going on it too short a time.

These are my disorganized thoughts on the preview. Hopefully they'll iron out some of the kinks by the time it comes for the series to actually air. Oh, and the dancing robots are wonderful, whether it's our male lead pirouetting while he works or the Delta folks doing their synchronized number.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I care a lot about anime character ages, because they aren't just made-up numbers.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Gihon posted:

It is and I hope it's not going to be the main type of combat scene we see in the rest of the series because it's just so over the top that I don't think I can handle it every episode.

We seem to have come to opposite conclusions from the same starting point.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

a kitten posted:

WALKÜRE - Ikenai BORDERLINE

Mitsumeatte koi wo shite mugamuchuu de oikakete
Dakedo motto shiritakute MERA MERA shiteru
Negau hodo nazo wa fue omou hodo netsu ni naru
Dakara motto tobikomu no mikai no sekai

Koi toka yume toka dare demo shinjiru kedo
SOKO SOKO semenakya tsumannai yo
GIRI GIRI EYE ikenai BORDERLINE
Gaido G demo subete kowashite miseru
GIRI GIRI MIND sara naru G he to
Ishiki wa tokeru karada wa seigyo funou
Icchau kamo ne

Fuzake atta tomodachi to motomeatta ano toki to
Mata aeru hi no tame ni KIRA KIRA shiteru
Hikaru hodo kage wa deki moeru hodo HIGH ni naru
Hashiru hodo miete kuru abunai RAIN

Jiyuu mo hei wa mo nozomeba umareru kedo
MOTA MOTA shitetara kusatchau yo
GIRI GIRI EYE abunai BORDERLESS
Hijou shiki dane mada kasoku shiteiru yo
GIRI GIRI MIND Genkai tennara nurikaete ii
Hakai to saisei kara watashi wa dekiru

GIRI GIRI EYE ikenai BORDERLINE
Gaido G demo subete kowashite miseru
GIRI GIRI MIND sara naru G he to
Ishiki wa tokeru karada wa seigyo funou
Icchau kamo ne

GIRI GIRI EYE eye ikenai BORDERLINE
Moetsuki nagara mada kagayaite miseru
GIRI GIRI MIND anata no tame ni
Mirai no tame ni nando kudake chitte mo

Aisuru koto de umare kawaru
Aisa retakute ikite kaeru

I hope that the songs we're yet to hear are as good as this.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
How soon are we talking?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That's soon!

For anyone needing help getting hype:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I bet I could get in Symphogear G between now and whenever Δ's first ep is subbed.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Kylra posted:

Ikenai Borderline status: GIRI GIRI MIND

EPISODE 2 WHEN

I AM LITERALLY GOING TO EXPLODE WITH HYPE

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The second episode is also really good! I love the OP, I love the weird cat-seals, I love what a little poo poo Hayate is, I love the giant captain, I love pilot lady's angry face, I love... just about everything! The ED's a bit less impressive, perhaps, but it's still good. Her voice in it really sounds like Ranka's.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I hated the cat parts. But the rest was great!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Actually, tsunderes are good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

trucutru posted:

Look at the time scale. The Macross launched in 2010 or so it's been less than 60 years since all this poo poo started. Minmay & Co are probably still alive. That's is not enough time for an earth colony to arrive there, start some knight bullshit, and develop some hair super-powers. They are just another kind of alien nerds who say the planes and said "me too".

The entire Macross history seems way too compressed. The planets we've seen in Delta are established societies with well-integrated alien populations, and it's been maybe one or two generations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Technology changes much faster than people. The tech of the '50s barely hinted at what we have today, the pace of change is accelerating, and we don't even have aliens to steal from.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
aaaaaahhhhhhh I love this show so much

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Hayate is a cocky young hotshot out to prove himself now that he's finally found something he loves doing. He's arrogant, quick-tempered, and brash. He's got a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone, and he's a lot of fun to watch.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
*crosses fingers* two dates at the same time in the same place :pray:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

lol

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Zwingley posted:

So I found a webm of Ikenai BORDERLINE and then decided it was time to watch my first Macross series, knowing gently caress all about anything involved. Here are my thoughts so far:

this poo poo loving owns

it's rad as hell

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Finally got to watch this ep. It's still good!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This episode was really great. I started off relaxed on the couch, and found myself slowly inching forward. By the end, I was at the very edge leaning way forward, and a big grin was on my face the whole while. It's been a while since I enjoyed a show this much. It's just so much fun!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Why would a singer and a pilot need to be good at anything besides concerts and dogfight situations?

Apparently it would behoove them to be good at infiltration as well.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

hayate was really annoying in ep2, when he thought he was hot poo poo. he's grown up a ton

He was great in episode 2, when he thought he was hot poo poo. I mean, he was a little poo poo, but I enjoyed watching him.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
hot

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Mikl posted:

Could anyone make an avatar out of this? I tried, but it's still juuuuuust barely over the filesize limit and anything I try to reduce it makes it look terrible. (I'm bad at gif editing.)

e: alternatively, I generally feel that avs w/o transparency are better with borders:

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 7, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
whoa

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Kylra posted:

It's possible I like this anime way too much.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

!!!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Kylra posted:

SO HYPE I FORGOT THE PUNCTUATION AT THE END OF THIS SENTENCE

Pyronic posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

waiting all week for more Macross is getting harder and harder.

Hortism posted:

Yeah that sure as hell was an episode of Macross.

Phobophilia posted:

this show owns, holy gently caress, they really pulled out all stops

Kylra posted:

This hype valkyrie has no afterburner off switch.

And we have 13 more episodes.

Zwingley posted:

so loving good holy poo poo

Nah, after 13 I've determined it's impossible to like this anime too much.

Kanos posted:

That was a hell of a climax for the midpoint of the series.

lets hang out posted:

holy poo poo you guys

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

MJP posted:

That's the jam for whenever you gotta get serious

"gently caress, I've got an exam tomorrow..."
"GIRI GIRI AI"

WHAT

Ikenai BORDERLINE is not a training song. It's a song for the real deal, for when poo poo goes down.

"gently caress, I've got an exam RIGHT NOW!!"
"GIRI GIRI AI"

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm glad that Hayate and Mirage went on a date on my birthday, and that Mirage wore a cute outfit with thighhigh boots for it, but I'm even more glad for the super cute HayaFre ending.

Also, I feel like this was pretty much the first moment of humanity for Mikumo. Weird.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
watching this ep now, and :lol: @ Roid's wall of glasses

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
the casual "two years? yeah whatevs" -> darkened rune scene was fantastic

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

e: the imgur-converted mp4 cut short, so I'm switching to the huge gif

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 26, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Mogomra posted:

I didn't even notice this, now I get need to watch it again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I just caught up on the last three episodes! 19 & 20 were a bit lackluster, but 21 was better. I'm hoping the last few episodes step it up and get the show back to where I'm gushing about it week to week.

A thought per episode:

(19) gaaaaaay

(20) I was expecting there to be a bunch of Mikumos, Eva-style (though maybe after 21 we're looking at a Human Instrumentality Project, so it can be Eva in a different way)

(21) It's visually jarring that they let them keep their hair ornaments and styles. I'd have preferred alternate jailhouse 'dos, both for unity of design and because I love alternate hairstyles.

• Locked thread