Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Minimalist Program posted:

Our neighbors here are really friendly, too and everyone sounds very sophisticated, what with the accent and all. In sum, I really like the UK.
Everyone sounds sophisticated until you learn the drastic difference between yorkton accent and blimblomshire accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Isn't income inequality in the UK only slightly better than the US?

Not really something to be bragging about.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

crabcakes66 posted:

Isn't income inequality in the UK only slightly better than the US?

Not really something to be bragging about.

Yeah pretty much, although our social safety net is much more advanced. Well that is, it was until the fuckwits who vote gave the Tories another term in government.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
why isnt residency easier to get for people from the commonwealth, those dirty limeys let all kinds of filthy degenerate eurotrash move around freely but us aussies gotta jump through all kinds of hoops

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Serotonin posted:

Our BBQ is shameful I agree. I am fully on board with US style BBQ and here's a pic of me cooking brisket and pulled pork.
in mid July.

( yes I know it's a gas grill and I'm awful etc but you loving sit outside tending a grill for 12 hours in our loving weather)

reported for having a hosepipe out in July :catstare:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

crispix posted:

reported for having a hosepipe out in July :catstare:

Nah no hose pipe bans here in the West Country.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Because things were only built circa 1960-1974.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
when i lived in the uk i would point out how nice the weather was (it was usually pretty nice) and people would get really angry with me. like one time i was physically attacked by an old man on a bus because i pointed out how nice it was out

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Roy posted:

when i lived in the uk i would point out how nice the weather was (it was usually pretty nice) and people would get really angry with me. like one time i was physically attacked by an old man on a bus because i pointed out how nice it was out

NO IT'S poo poo, EVERYTHING IS poo poo!

being happy in the UK arouses suspicion, people will probably assume you are on drugs

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the two most brutalist monstrosities in my city centre are currently getting torn down and im not happy about it. one of them was supposed to be made out of marble but they couldnt afford it so somebody was just like gently caress it concrete and it owns

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Brutalism owns

Fetus
Jul 13, 2001

Chill'n in my womb
nothing wrong with propane bbq

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I did have a smoke box in there, honest.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
also one time I said that queuing was "okay" and a guy emptied his beer all over me and told me to "fock off back home then"

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Someone has spray painted "Welcome to Oakland, BITCH!" on the railway wall opposite my work.

I think they are a bit lost cos I work in Glasgow.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

DeepQantas posted:

Everyone sounds sophisticated until you learn the drastic difference between yorkton accent and blimblomshire accent.
lol this doesn't even make sense, most of our place names are the same as yours because americans are unoriginal and highly retarded

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

loving Tetris Tower.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

that building is literally called "the cube"

theres a good teppanyaki place in there

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
if you want concrete monstrosities i recommend hospitals theyre almost universally hideous

e: even that doesnt do it justice its loving enormous easily twice the height of anything around it (except the arts tower) and squatting halfway up a hill you can see it from p much all over the city

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

mate hospitals are all about healing you after youve done some stupid poo poo rather than looking pretty so when youre nan comes she can go 'at least he got into the white hospital'

*uk, substitute white for lord poncing roy III bathtub adventures

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

The West End of Glasgow is really nice and

oh

inokichi
Nov 3, 2005

Minimalist Program posted:

There's one next to the kitchen sink in this house and every idiot sink here is that kind with two tiny taps, one hot one cold, and no way for you to mix the two and so the hot water is scaldingly hot and the cold water is so cold you cant wash your hands in it without significant discomfort.

You can , y'know just have a combined tap installed. I have one in my kitchen sink...they sell them everywhere. Although most kitchen and bathroom sinks do indeed have single taps for some bizarre reason.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I heard most of the UK doesn't have air conditioning, so in the few times that it hits like the low 80's people die from heat exposure. Is that true?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

its right uk does look poo poo in some places

elephant in coventry

busy christmas shopping day in bracknell town center

the average bike ride home in january 2016

night out in london

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Cheap drinks tuesday

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

busy christmas shopping day in bracknell town center

Why hasn't someone drawn an "i" between to and let yet? loving lazy limeys.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Hey it's my university. The architect intended for this to be built in a mediterranean environment and painted white lol

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

hemale in pain posted:

its right uk does look poo poo in some places

elephant in coventry

Does anyone actually know what's inside there? It's part of the sports centre but I don't know anyone whose ever been into that part.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Quote-Unquote posted:

lol sure it looks like a third world country but at least it isn't actually one like the US, where they don't even have proper access to healthcare and there is at least one mass shooting every day (plus the police going round murdering minorities every few minutes lmao)

Pretty sure the tories have made the UK far worse than the US in that respect mate. I'm a Brit living in America merica and life here is far better for the vast majority than Britain.

If Britain was a US state, it would be the 2nd poorest after mississippi lol.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Lasher posted:

I used to go out with a Yank girl and felt so embarrassed when my family had a BBQ when we went to visit. Imagine the smallest disc of gristle being burn over a silver tray of coal doesed in lighter fluid.

see... see.... this is the problem. british....people..... think that BBQing means grilling. They think that grilling a burger patty is BBQ. its a language probem and it isnt going anywhere soon. sad really.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

88h88 posted:

Does anyone actually know what's inside there? It's part of the sports centre but I don't know anyone whose ever been into that part.

no idea, it's not the swimming poor or the gym.

thankfully they're knocking it down but less good is they're also knocking down the olympic swimming pool because they loving hate people. maybe next they'll burn down the library.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

its an absolute mystery to me how these people keep from killing themselves

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

coventry prison library

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Coventry has some pretty nice modern architecture, good work nazis.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

a starwar betamax posted:

see... see.... this is the problem. british....people..... think that BBQing means grilling. They think that grilling a burger patty is BBQ. its a language probem and it isnt going anywhere soon. sad really.

You'll be glad to hear that despite my breakdown of the quintessential bbq experience on the previous page, American BBQ has been an 'in thing' for the last few years and despite it not really changing the landscape of the abominations that people perform in their backyards, it does mean we're inundated with restaurants that understand the concept of actual BBQ at least. From independent and awesome places, to crappy chain places that should be shut down you can't really escape them.

This is the menu from where I go to in London whenever I have opportunity (Bodeans in Soho). It's pretty good.

http://www.bodeansbbq.com/site/public/img/Menus_pdf/soho_table_menu_2.pdf

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

its an absolute mystery to me how these people keep from killing themselves

Free mental health care and lack of access to firearms.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hey now, I've been to Detroit, which is a literal warzone, AKs and all. Americans have no right to bitch when they literally have Somalia on their doorstep.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

some dumbass americans say this too. poo poo will get you shot in the south.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

World's only superpower, back to back world war champion :911:

You turned up to both of those late, though. Arsenal of democracy and defender of the free world my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

how are you supposed to bbq properly at home? help

• Locked thread