Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

It doesn't make any sense for a skeleton or golem to take bleed damage :shrug:

I know it doesn't make sense but from a gaming standpoint having so much of your damage be negated because the poo poo is a skeleton or a ghost is really dumb. If the game had a dual spec system it wouldn't be that bad but every time I run into a ghost area I'm dreading it because my aoe takes a massive hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I know it doesn't make sense but from a gaming standpoint having so much of your damage be negated because the poo poo is a skeleton or a ghost is really dumb. If the game had a dual spec system it wouldn't be that bad but every time I run into a ghost area I'm dreading it because my aoe takes a massive hit.

Yeah, I agree it's lovely from a gameplay perspective. I never use poison/bleed builds in videogames because so many of them pull this poo poo. But it does make sense.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

The White Dragon posted:

I think they should make the default attack passive descrpitions a little more clear, or maybe a little less specific. I skipped the ones at the top of the Shaman tree for the longest time because I thought they were for default attack actions only, as in "the crossed swords thing labeled attack." Savagery kind of says it's a replacement for default attacks, but it's so vague that I was under the impression that it didn't count as one. They really ought to just label every active that counts as one with "THIS COUNTS AS A DEFAULT ATTACK" or "EVERY ATTACK BUT THE THIRD IS CONSIDERED A DEFAULT ATTACK" in big colored lettering.

Yeah, this confused the *hell* out of me for the longest time. Better/more informative tooltips could go a long way to improving the experience I think.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I agree it's lovely from a gameplay perspective. I never use poison/bleed builds in videogames because so many of them pull this poo poo. But it does make sense.

Then make the bleed "funny physical magic", who the gently caress cares what it's called.

Bleed is a gaming trope that needs to go away. It'll do the damage of a single autoattack over 5 seconds! I mean you should have killed the mob within 2 seconds, and it didn't do anywhere near the damage it should have, but hey, here's a bunch of skills with it on it.

Which makes it seem ok against bosses, but then for some reason in most games, all bosses are immune to bleed effects. Like then it'd be overpowered. So it's useless there as well.

And then in any fantasy setting, you have to fight the undead for 2/3rds of the game, and they are all immune to bleed as well.

Titan Quest/Grim Dawn are the only games I've ever played with a ton of Bleed buffs, and they've been good at making Bleeds do significant/good damage if you build for it, but at the same time, it's such a lazy/boring way of doing damage.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I kinda think they went overboard with damage types as it is. They all use the same mechanics for buffing, so the bloat just results in a massively diluted pool of useful items for your particular build.

The fact that it's confusing and opaque doesn't really help matters much either.

Having a few of them just randomly not work because gently caress you is pretty stupid.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, poo poo. What the gently caress is even vitality damage/decay?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
It seems like a lot of builds are just passives, toggles, and a main spammable power. Are there some more "active" skill trees?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
My buddy runs an active-intensive Nightseeker: lots of shadow blink, dagger throw, blade shield for sustain, and item abilities. He does a lot of running in and ducking out while I facetank everything and die a lot. He complains that he has way too much poo poo on his hotbar but he can't get rid of any of it because it's all really good.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I beat the game on Veteran (level 53) tonight. Last boss was pretty epic and difficult, but I didn't die. So far my only death has been when I stupidly attacked the Mogdragon Avatar.

I got this very awesome belt for my hard work: http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Chains_of_Anguish

The legendary (purple) item I was awarded was an off-hand caster item, of course. :smith:

In terms of building a character, you *can* build a one trick pony, but I would advise against it. Not only is that kinda boring, but most skills are balanced so there's diminishing returns and breakpoints. I found pretty quickly you can actually up your deadliness (and DPS) if you incorporate some cooldown abilities, not to mention improve your CC and AoE.

Don't be afraid to try things out. Respec until you find the right combination.

For example, I have like 5 toggles and 8 active abilities (which I constantly use) while auto attacking. To use them all effectively, I've actually had to hotkey ASDFGRTV instead of 12345678.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Found a pair of epic pants that gives you a poop throwing ability. GOTY 2016.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does anybody else's game freeze sometimes when killing elites? It's happened to me like three or four times now, pretty annoying. There seems to be a lot of lagging issues when looting + vending items in general.

Still looking for recommended Devotion paths for Witchblade that rush Manticore. Can't make up my mind on what I want but I know I'll at least need Hawk.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I guess I'm in Act 4 right now, and it's really stupid how 90% of the loot drops are caster daggers and caster offhands. I get it, the loot is kinda themed for whatever is dropping it, but come the gently caress on. My inventory when I go back to town is hundreds of yellow daggers and caster offhands from blood cultists.

The loot RNG can go gently caress itself.

At least for me, it seems as biased as possible against ranged gun users. I don't think I've gotten a single good gun drop so far (level 58), while epic melee weapons and caster poo poo just keep flying out of every hole and pile.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Hah, I feel the same exact way except about epic 2-handers. I'm convinced they don't actually exist.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I wonder how moddable the game is. I found TQ way more enjoyable when it was tweaked to poo poo out loot at a hugely increased rate.

Because of the massive amount of off-class useless garbage, multiplying the drop rates by a bunch gives you a chance of actually seeing usable gear on one character.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
From level 50 to 80 I only found 5 legendaries. Seems like itd take forever to get the ones that are actually useful for your character. Or maybe im unlucky, or the story isn't a good way to get them or something.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Soothing Vapors posted:

It seems like a lot of builds are just passives, toggles, and a main spammable power. Are there some more "active" skill trees?

Every mastery tree has a combination of passives and actives. The reason why you see most builds consist of one "main spammable power" and a bunch of passives is that builds with multiple active skills all belong in the category "bad builds". In that respect, GD is JUST like Diablo 2, where you could only max one, MAYBE two skills.

If you really want more different buttons to push, you'll be able to get those from item components and special items. Any build with more than two active, direct damage skills is terrible.

Erz posted:

From level 50 to 80 I only found 5 legendaries. Seems like itd take forever to get the ones that are actually useful for your character. Or maybe im unlucky, or the story isn't a good way to get them or something.

The droprate of legendaries is quite low below Ultimate, and even on Ultimate it isn't all that hot compared to the generally terrible quality of the items. I think they've said they're buffing legendary droprates on Ultimate by like 40% next patch though.

In the meantime, doing runs of Bastion of Chaos, Cronley or any run for Nemesis-bosses is probably the way to go if you specifically want to farm legendaries.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 11, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I think they should make the default attack passive descrpitions a little more clear, or maybe a little less specific. I skipped the ones at the top of the Shaman tree for the longest time because I thought they were for default attack actions only, as in "the crossed swords thing labeled attack." Savagery kind of says it's a replacement for default attacks, but it's so vague that I was under the impression that it didn't count as one. They really ought to just label every active that counts as one with "THIS COUNTS AS A DEFAULT ATTACK" or "EVERY ATTACK BUT THE THIRD IS CONSIDERED A DEFAULT ATTACK" in big colored lettering.

I just assumed that the attack passives counted for any attack including the default replacements. I actually wish they changed the tooltips because as nice as the little blurbs are for it they don't exactly explain the skill well.

Like the description for the Shaman's Primal Strike is not quite clear

quote:

The first rite undertaken by novice Shamans is to imbue their favored weapon with the raw force of a thunderstorm. Those that survive this critical step become scions to Mogdrogen's will and guardians of their people.
If it didn't have the actual number descriptions beneath that I would have thought it was just a toggle passive. Also the second sentence is worthless fluff.

They need to put general catch all terms for each skill type like naming them Auras, Defaults, Passives or Actives.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fewd posted:

The loot RNG can go gently caress itself.

At least for me, it seems as biased as possible against ranged gun users. I don't think I've gotten a single good gun drop so far (level 58), while epic melee weapons and caster poo poo just keep flying out of every hole and pile.

I think part of it is that skeletons are extremely common and they don't use guns. I definitely found more epic caster off hands than anything else by a wide margin.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Found a pair of epic pants that gives you a poop throwing ability. GOTY 2016.

:agreed:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Mash posted:

Any build with more than two active, direct damage skills is terrible.

I disagree with this statement.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Regarding RNG:

After beating Veteran, I got a total of 3 legendary (purple) items and almost 4 stash tabs filled with epic gear. I tried to do a complete playthrough, exploring most of the maps fully and completing most of the questlines, so I probably was more thorough than most.

Although I was playing a 2-handed melee character, the game was pretty stingy with dropping epic 2-handed melees weapons suited for my build. I got a good amount of 1-handers, pistols, and rifles though -- not to mention caster stuff. Because I was physical based, green 2-handers needed to be rolled with added physical damage (e.g. "officer" prefix, etc.) for me to make good use of them. I was lucky to get the blueprints to Tremor near the beginning of the game though, so that was cool (that weapon can last you nearly halfway through the game). Beyond Tremor, I only found 2 additional upgrades "in the wild." I ended up having to craft a couple of upgrades for myself.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Mash posted:

The droprate of legendaries is quite low below Ultimate, and even on Ultimate it isn't all that hot compared to the generally terrible quality of the items. I think they've said they're buffing legendary droprates on Ultimate by like 40% next patch though.

In the meantime, doing runs of Bastion of Chaos, Cronley or any run for Nemesis-bosses is probably the way to go if you specifically want to farm legendaries.

This is good info, thanks. What's a Nemesis boss?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

If you open your reputation tab (J default), you can see divisions of negative reputation among enemy factions. Any faction that you're maxed out with has a chance to spawn a Nemesis boss when you run around in an area where that type of mobs normally appears. Nemesis bosses are usually large, have red nameplates and are very tough to kill. In return, they come with a special Nemesis Trove nearby that usually contains good loot. The most easily farmed ones are probably either the one that can spawn in Cronley's Lair or the Undead one, that apparently spawns next to a waypoint sometimes, so you can reset games to farm it. In multiplayer, only the host of the game needs to be a nemesis of a faction for that faction to spawn a boss.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So i'm running Soldier/Shaman with Savage as my main default on a 2H. Is there any active skill that would compliment the default or should I just stack passives on the default?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

There are no actives that "compliment" the default. The sheer amount of passive points available to boost Savagery (the whole Savagery line itself is good, 2 of the passive procs above it in the mastery are good and Soldier is full of good passives for you (Decorated Soldier, Field Command, Squad Tactics) plus either Olerons Rage or Stormcallers) plus the HP passives in both trees mean you won't really have enough points to go for an active skill too. If I had to suggest one, I would go with Blitz since it has good ratios and can actually help you with your Savagery stack uptime because of the added mobility.

Here's a min-maxed 2h Savagery Warder:
http://grimcalc.com/build/AchrKO

You've got all of two points to spare after maxing every useful skill and those could easily go into Decorated Soldier. You could put one point in Blitz and one in Blindside in this scenario, which would pair fairly well with Savagery.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 11, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I suppose it's just that I want to do a little more then just default attack all the time and rely on procs to trigger. Still though thanks for the advice, i'll try aim towards the build you listed.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You can get different skills from components that'll help make the build more interesting. The best weapon component for your build is probably Oleron's Blood, which gives a pretty nice attack on a relatively low cooldown. There's also other components and items that give active skills without costing a lot of points you could be using to make your regular Savagery attacks hit harder.

E: https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/3001-Oleron's-Blood
260% weapon damage and +50% crit, the equivalent of which would cost A LOT of skillpoints that are better used passively amplifying your attacks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Numbers are kind of off-kilter now where stacking item procs do so much more damage than regular attacks that they far outweigh the opportunity cost of blowing the 28+ skill points it takes to make most of them good.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Anyone who is looking for more buttons to press should check out these builds from the o forums:

lightning based shaman/arcanist:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26367

vitality based life leech caster (occultist/shaman):

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30297

both of them have gone through ultimate difficulty and are pretty involved. Shaman tends to be a good secondary for this sort of thing because you can drop totems and wind devils and they'll keep doing their thing while you go in with your main attack.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Disappointing to read about the unreasonable rarity of high-end gear. I've spent many, many hours in TQ without ever completing a legendary set and I was hoping they'd fixed that in Grim Dawn. Cheating gear makes no sense in this kind of game but, if the legit path is all but impossible, what's the point of these sets? I'd rather not end up doing like with TQ and shelf the game without ever using one. Too early to think about that anyway, my first and so far only character is still lvl 35.

Speaking of which, I'm having a lot of fun with my dual gun sorcerer: flashbang, canister bomb, pew pew pew everyone's dead, burned and electrocuted. After watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t_HApdps_U (skip to 30:00), though, the death ray sorcerer is looking pretty tempting.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
I keep playing alts so I have not spent much time trying to get legendaries; have 1 character at 58 and another at 55. So far I've found 6 legendaries. Two I was able to put to good use on my vitality/bleed conjurer, and I'm leveling up my sword n' board warder to use a legendary shield. Drop rate doesn't seem that bad. Some guy posted a video on reddit of a farming run he does and said he has about 70% of the available legendaries in game so far.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

Hah, I feel the same exact way except about epic 2-handers. I'm convinced they don't actually exist.

Same, I have an entire page of pistols and spellbooks, and my only epic 2H has like a level 20 requirement.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the way sets drop is really really stupid. I can't see myself finishing a set before I'm done with the game. Perhaps they should make it so a certain type of monster drops the full set or raise the probability of set drops for each of the set items you got. Maybe even a blueprints for complete sets , so you're gated by resources instead of rng.

It somehow feels even worse than titan quest. In a few hours, I'm rolling with all blues and really good greens there. Grim dawn? yellows all the way.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sets that aren't endgame level gear and don't drop all at once in games like this are kind of stupid. The odds you'll complete it while it's still useful are just so slim. Especially in any game with such a wide variety of gearing paths.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Sets should definitely not depend entirely on RNG. Find/trade one piece of a set and the rest becomes available through a ton of gold/crafting/defeating a boss/anything other than pure chance.

My dual gun wizard has at least one set tailored for him: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30155

Look at that dude, that dude is metal as gently caress. One way or another, I'll be using that set before I'm done with the game, because while cheating in an arpg is ridiculous, it's not as ridiculous as only being able to see that sweet looking fire bucket through screenshots and youtube.

Lipton Iced Soup
Sep 4, 2011

Menacing
Just grabbed this a few days ago, anyone up for some early game coop? Currently hanging out in the goon group chat.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
just finished the level 40 perdition set for my 1h/shield warder. hilarious watching trash get 1shot by 4000 retaliation damage.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

karrethuun posted:

just finished the level 40 perdition set for my 1h/shield warder. hilarious watching trash get 1shot by 4000 retaliation damage.

Nice! I got a couple pieces of the set, but not the full thing. It seems like you could make an interesting build around it. Hopefully I'll be able to collect the empowered versions.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
That discord thing really doesn't like me, I've only got into it once in the last 5 days, then I dropped in 20 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

ssmagus posted:

That discord thing really doesn't like me, I've only got into it once in the last 5 days, then I dropped in 20 seconds.

That's odd, based on my experience it's stable as a rock.

I'm not at home so I can't troubleshoot it with you. I guess try using the standalone app if you're having a problem with the web app. The standalone app also has a really tiny footprint (takes less system resources).