Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
:drat:

Uh you can get by eating stuff from grocery stores. Alternatively, there are like Italian and French places to eat, but that doesn't seem like its in the spirit of a vacation to Japan.

Just bring enough epipens for each meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Subsist solely on plain 7-11 onigiri and soda.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
goonbatte kudasai

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

net work error posted:

Subsist solely on plain 7-11 onigiri and soda.

I got food poisoning from a fried chicken one. If the onigiri has a wattage on it, FUCKIN' FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.

I literally thought I was dying. I'm sure that the Strong Zero didn't help.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent posted:

Me and my boyfriend are are both vegans and allergic to rice and on a very tight budget, could you recommend some restaurants in Tottori?

Thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Enjoy being drunk and hungry!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I would like more info on the Kawasaki penis festival because that sounds cool. I'll be in Tokyo those days but it looks close enough.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hey guys I have some questions maybe you can help me with.

I met my wife in Japan 2 years ago while I was over there teaching English for a semester. I'm now 32, she's 22. We started dating, got engaged, married, and she came over to the US via the K1 visa program about 5 months ago.

There are several issues that have come up since we got married and moved in together. I'm hoping for some goon advice from others in relationships, even if they're not exactly like this. Keep in mind she has been in the US officially for about 5 months. I understand there is a huge cultural change and learning curve, but some of this is crazy.

1) She still hasn't learned to drive. But not through lack of trying. She has extremely bad nerves, and every time she even gets in the driver's seat she freaks out and starts shaking and sweating. We tried parallel parking once and she just floored it while the E-brake was still on. I had to physically pull her foot off the pedal. We try driving at least half an hour a day and she's gotten no more comfortable with it.

2) Her English is pretty good, but she still prefers speaking Japanese all the time. My Japanese is alright, but I don't catch everything, especially slang and things like that. Many times after an argument she'll run into the bedroom, lock the door, and start yelling things at me in Japanese that I don't understand.

3) We are having some money issues - mostly tied to the fact that I'm the only one working. I'm a substitute teacher, and work is spotty at best. I also do work as a landscaper but it's winter so there's nothing going on. So finances are TIGHT right now. We've looked for work she can do from home until the driving situation is fixed, but most of it needs a way better understanding of English.

4) We still haven't consummated our marriage. The most she's willing to do is some stuff with her feet, no actual intercourse. This is a nerves thing again.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TWSS posted:

My partner and I just snagged a flight that will put us in Japan from March 8th to 22nd. She's really interested in traditional Japan and is super-excited to see the temples in Kyoto, but I have a massive fetish for JDM cars (I have an '85 MR2) and would love to check out engineering/technology museums in addition to the more traditional stuff. I'm interested to hear any recommendations you might have.

Also, I will puke and poo poo for 8 hours if I consume fish or beans and I need an epi-pen if I have peanuts or peas. Will an allergy like that be a problem in Japan?

Get one of those food allergy print out cards with pictures. People will take you way more seriously and it's easier to understand with a picture printed card

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Me and my boyfriend are are both vegans and allergic to rice and on a very tight budget, could you recommend some restaurants in Tottori?

Thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I met my wife in Japan 2 years ago while I was over there teaching English for a semester. I'm now 32, she's 22. We started dating, got engaged, married, and she came over to the US via the K1 visa program about 5 months ago.

There are several issues that have come up since we got married and moved in together. I'm hoping for some goon advice from others in relationships, even if they're not exactly like this. Keep in mind she has been in the US officially for about 5 months. I understand there is a huge cultural change and learning curve, but some of this is crazy.

1) She still hasn't learned to drive. But not through lack of trying. She has extremely bad nerves, and every time she even gets in the driver's seat she freaks out and starts shaking and sweating. We tried parallel parking once and she just floored it while the E-brake was still on. I had to physically pull her foot off the pedal. We try driving at least half an hour a day and she's gotten no more comfortable with it.

2) Her English is pretty good, but she still prefers speaking Japanese all the time. My Japanese is alright, but I don't catch everything, especially slang and things like that. Many times after an argument she'll run into the bedroom, lock the door, and start yelling things at me in Japanese that I don't understand.

3) We are having some money issues - mostly tied to the fact that I'm the only one working. I'm a substitute teacher, and work is spotty at best. I also do work as a landscaper but it's winter so there's nothing going on. So finances are TIGHT right now. We've looked for work she can do from home until the driving situation is fixed, but most of it needs a way better understanding of English.

4) We still haven't consummated our marriage. The most she's willing to do is some stuff with her feet, no actual intercourse. This is a nerves thing again.

lmao sugoi

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tequila Sunrise posted:

It's not just a cultural gap, there's a generation gap as well! Props for you being patient enough with young people. I can't handle college kids anymore. Especially the OMG I'm on an adventure in Asia types.

quote:

The goony answer I have is try euro truck simulator. I'm not sure where you guys are in US, but if you really need to drive and can't take much ubers or public transportation then I guess you will be the one driving. Or work out some car pool :ohdear:

quote:

Arguments are fine, but what are you guys arguing over and what is the frequency? How do things escalate between you two? Does she not like being challenged? Do you not like being challenged? Who is the one who initiates a compromise? Again, there's not much for me to say except 22 years old is really really young. We all grow up without knowing and I was really obnoxious when I was 22. Luckily I'm getting better and more attractive as I age :goonsay:

quote:

There's online translation work I guess? Or reach out to the local Japanese community (if there is one) Sorry to hear about the tough job situation

quote:

THAT'S hosed UP I was going to say something vulgar like "man, a 22 year old, what is this, some JAV fetish? She better be good in bed" And you already commit a marriage to a possibility of dead bed? That's crazy

:negative:

I was always curious about foot jobs. Man the biggest issue you have isn't cultural, is that you are dating someone with a lot of issues and your finances are in dire straights.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I hope I got trolled

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Buy her a one way ticket home. This can only end up even worse.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Tequila Sunrise posted:

:stonk:

Source your quotes pls

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Mr. Fix It posted:

:stonk:

Source your quotes pls

Your username is a lie

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I love this thread.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Vidaeus posted:

Your username is a lie

Your reply is a non sequitur

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

please stay out of my posting history

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
please post pics of wife feet, we need more info to properly help

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

peanut posted:

lmao sugoi

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Tequila Sunrise posted:

You were half-convincing until the end. 4/10 better luck next time.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

First of all, we love each other very much. My wife is also not a child. Again, put yourself in her shoes. Imagine you are just living life when suddenly you meet this amazing person who is also your Japanese teacher. You have a whirlwind romance and he or she asks you to marry them. Of course you say yes - but then you move to Japan with only a rudimentary understanding of the language and culture. You'd probably be pretty shaken up, right? That's what my wife is living with. Her support network right now is me, and a family that's on the other side of the world.

Finally, on the sex thing. I probably should have clarified this since it's apparently an issue for several goons. Yes, I have a foot fetish and my wife is fully aware of this. One of the ways we started bonding in the first place was I'd give her foot massages - it was a nice little thing for both of us. After a few dates I worked up the nerves to kiss her. After a few more I took her to a Japanese "love motel" with the intention of losing my virginity. However while I was putting the condom on she started crying. I asked her what was wrong - she said she was a virgin too and didn't want to do anything until marriage. I told her that was fine, kissed her, and she went back to her parents' house.

I tried to consummate the marriage on our honeymoon. As mentioned, money is very tight, so for our honeymoon, we did a 3 day pass to Hershey Park. It was a lot of fun. To make the first night really romantic, I splurged on something really cool. The staff will fill the bathtub up with melted chocolate (really more like slightly watered down chocolate syrup - it's a skin care/spa thing). I had them do it and planned to make love to my wife in the tub (we both love chocolate, her especially).

That didn't go well because she said it looked like a tub of "poo-poo". I showered off but by the time I was done and had cleaned and drained the tub, she had fallen asleep.

The next day I tried again, just regular bed sex. I was about to put it in and she suddenly started shuddering all over. I asked if she was cold, and she told me she was so nervous. We had an adult conversation about this and she admitted that my penis was much bigger than any other boyfriend's she had before (makes sense as she had dated solely native Japanese before) and that she was worried it would hurt her. We agreed to go dildo shopping after the honeymoon as a way to kind of "work up" to me.

Since then she's started that process (this is a real thing, before goons jump to conclusions). Our current form of sex will usually be her using dildos (starting really small and working her way up) on herself. I'll then try to enter her but she'll either start shuddering or her vagina will tighten up so much I can't enter. After about a month of this I got frustrated, and she saw that. She then gave me a footjob, which I'm not gonna lie - was awesome. I kind of let up on the penis in vagina sex after that, since she'll give me a FJ fairly regularly now. She is still using the dildo step up process, though, and I hope to consummate things by Valentine's Day.

I am also trying to meet some Japanese immigrants around my city for my wife to become friends with and discuss the whole cultural adjustment thing. We went to a Japanese restaurant a few weekends ago and I started talking to the chef. It turns out he was actually Hawaiian so it doesn't matter, but that's the kind of thing I'm willing to do for my wife.

I will keep updating this as needed. The holidays were a nice downtime and we bonded a lot and got a lot of driving practice in. I figure if we can get the driving and sex things tackled by Valentine's day, and a job by St. patrick's day, then we're golden going forward.

Also regarding the holidays - this was an awesome time for us both. I've been an atheist since elementary school (I'm sure some jokes will fly at this, but it's the only educated way to look at the world and I figured that our really young) so I don't decorate for or celebrate anything related to Christmas. My wife and I exchanged gifts, but that was it. We went to see Star Wars on Christmas Day - it was her first time seeing a movie in theaters and although it was a bit too much for her (she had to run to the bathroom when the aliens broke out on Han's ship and started eating everyone). When the movie was over she was waiting in the lobby for me and she was fine then. Afterwards we ate KFC I had bought a few days earlier and kept in the fridge(this is a Japanese tradition on the holidays) and we both really enjoyed it. I think getting these kind of American experiences in is helping her a lot.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
go north

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tequila Sunrise posted:

First of all, we love each other very much. My wife is also not a child. Again, put yourself in her shoes. Imagine you are just living life when suddenly you meet this amazing person who is also your Japanese teacher. You have a whirlwind romance and he or she asks you to marry them. Of course you say yes - but then you move to Japan with only a rudimentary understanding of the language and culture. You'd probably be pretty shaken up, right? That's what my wife is living with. Her support network right now is me, and a family that's on the other side of the world.

Finally, on the sex thing. I probably should have clarified this since it's apparently an issue for several goons. Yes, I have a foot fetish and my wife is fully aware of this. One of the ways we started bonding in the first place was I'd give her foot massages - it was a nice little thing for both of us. After a few dates I worked up the nerves to kiss her. After a few more I took her to a Japanese "love motel" with the intention of losing my virginity. However while I was putting the condom on she started crying. I asked her what was wrong - she said she was a virgin too and didn't want to do anything until marriage. I told her that was fine, kissed her, and she went back to her parents' house.

I tried to consummate the marriage on our honeymoon. As mentioned, money is very tight, so for our honeymoon, we did a 3 day pass to Hershey Park. It was a lot of fun. To make the first night really romantic, I splurged on something really cool. The staff will fill the bathtub up with melted chocolate (really more like slightly watered down chocolate syrup - it's a skin care/spa thing). I had them do it and planned to make love to my wife in the tub (we both love chocolate, her especially).

That didn't go well because she said it looked like a tub of "poo-poo". I showered off but by the time I was done and had cleaned and drained the tub, she had fallen asleep.

The next day I tried again, just regular bed sex. I was about to put it in and she suddenly started shuddering all over. I asked if she was cold, and she told me she was so nervous. We had an adult conversation about this and she admitted that my penis was much bigger than any other boyfriend's she had before (makes sense as she had dated solely native Japanese before) and that she was worried it would hurt her. We agreed to go dildo shopping after the honeymoon as a way to kind of "work up" to me.

Since then she's started that process (this is a real thing, before goons jump to conclusions). Our current form of sex will usually be her using dildos (starting really small and working her way up) on herself. I'll then try to enter her but she'll either start shuddering or her vagina will tighten up so much I can't enter. After about a month of this I got frustrated, and she saw that. She then gave me a footjob, which I'm not gonna lie - was awesome. I kind of let up on the penis in vagina sex after that, since she'll give me a FJ fairly regularly now. She is still using the dildo step up process, though, and I hope to consummate things by Valentine's Day.

I am also trying to meet some Japanese immigrants around my city for my wife to become friends with and discuss the whole cultural adjustment thing. We went to a Japanese restaurant a few weekends ago and I started talking to the chef. It turns out he was actually Hawaiian so it doesn't matter, but that's the kind of thing I'm willing to do for my wife.

I will keep updating this as needed. The holidays were a nice downtime and we bonded a lot and got a lot of driving practice in. I figure if we can get the driving and sex things tackled by Valentine's day, and a job by St. patrick's day, then we're golden going forward.

Also regarding the holidays - this was an awesome time for us both. I've been an atheist since elementary school (I'm sure some jokes will fly at this, but it's the only educated way to look at the world and I figured that our really young) so I don't decorate for or celebrate anything related to Christmas. My wife and I exchanged gifts, but that was it. We went to see Star Wars on Christmas Day - it was her first time seeing a movie in theaters and although it was a bit too much for her (she had to run to the bathroom when the aliens broke out on Han's ship and started eating everyone). When the movie was over she was waiting in the lobby for me and she was fine then. Afterwards we ate KFC I had bought a few days earlier and kept in the fridge(this is a Japanese tradition on the holidays) and we both really enjoyed it. I think getting these kind of American experiences in is helping her a lot.

Ok shut up now, idiot.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
ok this was at some point posted in the anonymous confessions thread.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
what happens after valentine's day!! the suspense is killing me!!!!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

what happens after valentine's day!! the suspense is killing me!!!!

the whitest of white days

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I had applied for a semester abroad through agreements with my university. Applied to 6 universities across the world, and 5 rejected me. The only university that accepted my application and asked me if I wanted to study there for a semester? University of Akita, Japan.
Now I know nothing about Japanese culture, customs, language or anything like that except for the little of anime / manga I've watched.
What should I keep in mind? What should I learn? What should I do before going? I've still seven months before I have to go, but I've already been recommended to start learning a little Japanese so that I won't be 'that' person.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I had applied for a semester abroad through agreements with my university. Applied to 6 universities across the world, and 5 rejected me. The only university that accepted my application and asked me if I wanted to study there for a semester? University of Akita, Japan.
Now I know nothing about Japanese culture, customs, language or anything like that except for the little of anime / manga I've watched.
What should I keep in mind? What should I learn? What should I do before going? I've still seven months before I have to go, but I've already been recommended to start learning a little Japanese so that I won't be 'that' person.

Watch more anime.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

A friend of mine lived there / went there and loved it. He was there for a few years too.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
"Akita" is Japanese for "I got fed up with it". Probably just one of those coincidences though!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Any suggestions for neighborhoods to stay in near Osaka/Kobe?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A stay in Akita will be authentic, that's for sure. Like Idaho authentic, but in a good way. Help the locals stay warm

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

is it Akita International University or Akita University?

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Phone posted:

Any suggestions for neighborhoods to stay in near Osaka/Kobe?

It depends what you're looking for in Osaka, but you're probably gonna want to stay around the Amerikamura/Namba area. Lots of life, cool restaurants, venues, street food. Relatively easy to get to other places in the city from there too.

Kobe's a little harder to pin down, but somewhere around the Sannomiya central area should be fine. There's a lot of great stuff that's relatively spread out, so anywhere should be fine for sight-seeing since you'll be moving anyway. On the other hand, if you can stay in Kitano, that area's rather lovely if a little touristy...

On the other hand if you mean 'near' Osaka/Kobe more liberally, Arima is a nice little hot springs town on the other side of a mountain next to Kobe. Probably too far away, though?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm going to Japan in April for a little over a week and plan on going to Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto. I've actually been there before a few years ago and we got rail passes, but looking online now it seems like Tokyo and the others are in separate regions. What's the best way to plan travel between these cities? We may be doing day trips from these cities (Nara and Himeji most likely).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm going to Japan in April for a little over a week and plan on going to Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto. I've actually been there before a few years ago and we got rail passes, but looking online now it seems like Tokyo and the others are in separate regions. What's the best way to plan travel between these cities? We may be doing day trips from these cities (Nara and Himeji most likely).

If you get a JR rail pass it doesn't matter which JR Group company is operating the lines you want to use.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

orcane posted:

If you get a JR rail pass it doesn't matter which JR Group company is operating the lines you want to use.

I was hoping to save some money with a regional pass. Sounds like you're saying my only real option is the national pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

It depends what you're looking for in Osaka, but you're probably gonna want to stay around the Amerikamura/Namba area. Lots of life, cool restaurants, venues, street food. Relatively easy to get to other places in the city from there too.

Kobe's a little harder to pin down, but somewhere around the Sannomiya central area should be fine. There's a lot of great stuff that's relatively spread out, so anywhere should be fine for sight-seeing since you'll be moving anyway. On the other hand, if you can stay in Kitano, that area's rather lovely if a little touristy...

On the other hand if you mean 'near' Osaka/Kobe more liberally, Arima is a nice little hot springs town on the other side of a mountain next to Kobe. Probably too far away, though?

Word, thanks. I was looking at places in Hirano, but I think I found a nice place near Kobe University that should be good for a few nights.