Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Hi Japan thread:

I want to go to Japan and see all the main sights like Tokyo, Kyoto, etc and eventually would love to stay and live in Japan for 6-12 months+ once I get my marketable job skills together and can afford to move to Japan to start immersing and learning Japanese ideally for doing business there.

Regardless, my frivolous question is: as someone who has a raging hard-on for everything modern and cutting-edge with technology, what weird poo poo should I check out when I'm in Japan related to gadgets and technology and whatever? I've heard Akihabara is like the world Mecca for technology shopping. What about huge gently caress-off :tviv: video game arcades and deafeningly loud pachinko machine parlors? Giant advanced AI robots and virtual reality demos? Conveyer belt sushi cafes? AI-powered smart rice cookers and toilets with all the gadgets and bidets and other smart appliances to export back to America?

I'm just rattling off ideas, but you get the idea. It may sound silly, but coming from Ohio I was spellbound by the Star Trek sliding bathroom doors at the airport in Seoul, Korea and want more of that. I've actually been in the Narita airport (which has some of the most fantastic food I've ever had, especially for an airport!; but that was while I was en route to Taipei at the time while my dad diverted to touring Tokyo before flying back to America himself.)

Any ideas? Japan has been at the top of my travel bucket list for a long time and I'd love to study Japanese at some point to make it possible to actually live in Japan with a salaried non-ESL job abroad. I know some basic Mandarin Chinese from college so many years ago, so it would make learning Kanji a lot easier than coming in cold as an native English speaker. Still, I'd rather learn Japanese and French than Chinese at this point. But all of that would be so exciting and amazing!! :dance:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

caberham posted:

This excitement makes you sound like a 13 year old. I'm really jealous

Man I wish I grew up in Ohio. I could just be a happy man seeing some cornfields and hills

:raise:

Uh... Is this sarcasm or a back-handed compliment? :confused: It's the internet, so it's hard to make out tone.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also :laugh: at sparking off furious debate about how precisely lovely Ohio is.

It's still perfectly true with that saying about Ohio is that you either lower your standards and settle begrudgingly in to Ohio indefinitely until you die or you move so far out of Ohio you go to the other end of the planet or the moon. I'd much rather be in Washington state or California tbh.

Re: sliding doors, I was just amazed more at how much more widespread technological uses like that are in Korea and Japan than here in America/Ohio when we can barely keep the hinges on the doors on most places or simply have regular old paper towel dispensers. I was also fascinated by the random bongo players on the subway when I visited NYC as a kid with my dad, so maybe I'm just easily amused? :downs:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I also coincidentally happened to play Initial D at the local arcade last night against a guy who was born and raised in Japan and after the match had a lengthy conversation about Japan and his youth as a military brat there which was pretty cool I guess. Are there other games with active persistent nationwide ranking systems like that going on right now in Japan? Apparently you can get a 'drivers' license' specific to Initial D 4 and see how you rank compared to the whole country or just your prefecture.

Prefectures are like the Japanese equivalent of American states but with more federalism/less confederation, right?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grand Fromage posted:

Jim Lovell is a jerk for dunking on the rest of us so hard. I have no doubt the first mission to Mars will have someone from Ohio to set the new record of getting as far away as possible.

Ohio invented airplanes so we could leave faster.

drat straight.

I think 'being from Ohio' should get you as many bonus application points with NASA as being fluent in a super-critical needs language like Farsi or Mandarin Chinese would be with joining the Foreign Service.

E: didn't mean to jump the gun earlier, I was trying to say that it would eventually be great to work and live in Japan for an extended period of time, but it would be a lot smarter and economical to do a lot shorter tourism trip first to see how I like it all there.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 29, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Great Autismo! posted:

of course I'm talking about places to visit and things to see inside the state, I'm not judging ohio based on your basement or your living room

i mean if you have a cool basement and a great STEAM set up on your desktop and a fridge full of beer, of course that is cool. but that is not ohio. that is your basement.

are you making a facepalm ranger argument ironically or what

But Ohio is America's dingy creeper basement, so you're not missing out on anything by not leaving your basement hovel.

In fact, for living in Ohio (especially God forbid a rural shithole like SE Ohio Portsmouth :gonk:) it's practically recommended to never leave the comforts of your blue-lit nerd dungeon.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Phone posted:

You were playing stateside with a 4th Stage machine? I played that back when I was in high school a decade ago.

I just Googled it, and drat you're right. I thought that was the new one, they had an older Initial D 3 version with the rocking car in the back. And this is at Gameworks. God drat, Ohio really is behind the curve on everything, isn't it? :negative:

Fun Ohio fact: Mark Twain had this to say about Ohio/Cincinnati back in the 1800s:

"CINCINNATI. "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always twenty years behind the times."

It's still relevant today! :v:

E: Also seconding that Initial D is fun as poo poo. I used to not be into driving games much before, but after doing valet for a year and driving a variety of cars I've gotten really into driving and nerding out about cars, so the rest is history. :v: Speedy, speed boy!

Speaking of cars and Japan, are the automotive laws and regulations really that strict in Japan? You couldn't just ship over your American Ford Mustang muscle car even if you had the financial means for it because of import/export laws?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 29, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grand Fromage posted:

I went to an extremely white rich kid university and it was quite the shock.

E: A magical place in Ohio. http://www.junglejims.com/

:allears:

If you're still referring to an Ohio school, then we may very well have gone to the same university.

Also, Jungle Jim's is extremely the poo poo and one of the few redeeming factors about living in Ohio.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Came here thinking i'd see 60 new posts about milk bars and instead here I am reading about Ohio gently caress you thread

:iamafag:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 29, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grand Fromage posted:

Entirely possible. When I graduated they had gotten from 97 to 94% white and were very proud of their new diversity.

In that case, I still feel resentment over Paul D. Ryan as an alumnus. As an aside, I interned in DC for a summer school program and when our school group toured the Capitol building, he had his earbuds in and walked right past us without even so much as a hello. Prick.

Anyways, less Ohio chat and more Japan chat.

So, uh, how 'bout them ramen bowls?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

hot sauce posted:

I would rather live in any of these states instead of Ohio, besides maybe Kansas but who actually even lives there? I have literally never heard anyone say they'd like to relocate to Ohio, whereas I've heard it many times for a number of the states you listed.

I don't think anyone ever says they'd like to relocate to Ohio, just that they have to for a lucrative job opportunity/cheaper cost of living or to build up their resume with easier work opportunities before getting the hell out and moving to the coasts (as God intended).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also, I voted for the correct answer in the thread poll, which is of course Goku. :goku:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Are there any good resources on comparing TESOL work in Japan versus Taiwan you'd all recommend? I've posted about this in the other thread as well, just wondering about viewpoints specific to Japan.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Has anyone tried traveling from China to Japan and back lately? I'm hoping to finally travel again this year now that restrictions are being lifted.

E: Also is it navigable in Tokyo if you're a native English speaker and fluent in Chinese but have near-zero Japanese skills? Could I at least recognize the kanji on street signs if I can already read (simplified) Chinese characters?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 1, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Wonton posted:

Oh and you can use Alipay for many purchases

I thought only Chinese citizens with shenfenzheng could use Alipay for purchases abroad? Or can foreigners also use it? If so, that'd be extremely convenient.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Thinking ahead to potentially visiting Japan (Tokyo) this or next year from China. If I've only got a few days and want to enjoy some primo eats or places to drink, where should I go?

Also I'm a huge sucker for One Piece paraphernalia and retro games. Apparently Akihabara is like the Mecca of electronics and gaming poo poo, confirm or deny? Also is the Ghibli museum still open?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What's the best time of year to visit Japan? I'm going to Thailand in February and thinking of doing Japan as my next trip after that. Ideally I'd like to go during one of the major Chinese holiday periods like the May Day holiday, summer vacation in July/August or National Day week in late Sept/early Oct, so one of those time slots would be best.

Depending on how long I go for, I'd be interested in major cities like Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto plus some specific attractions like the cat island, Jigokudani and the Ghibli museum. Also super keen on visiting Akihabara and collecting One Piece merchandise. Any advice would be appreciated!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 4, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grand Fromage posted:

I slam a liter of Pocari on the walk home and that does the trick most of the time.

As a China goon with access to Pocari Sweat, I can speak from experience that it works wonders for hang overs.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Wrapping up my trip in Thailand, thinking about where to go next, mostly considering Tokyo or Taipei.

As for Tokyo, I'm thinking of mainly being based out of Akihabara, although according to Trip a lot more people like staying in places like Ginza instead apparently.

I have other interests for being in Japan, but I'm mostly interested in making my nerd pilgrimage to Akihabara and immersing myself in video games/manga/electronics poo poo.

So should I just focus my hotel search on Akihabara or look at hotels in other areas then commute over using rail?

Also, how can I find the more unique/offbeat hotel/social hostel offerings? You know, like a video game based hotel in Akihabara?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Assuming I had a few days to stay, is it worth staying in a capsule hotel just for the experience and to save money? How do you choose between a traditional hotel, capsule hotel or ryokan?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 18, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Honestly, I think the idea of capsule hotels as both cheap and uniquely Japanese enough that I'm compelled to try it just because. If I end up hating it, then well that means I just try a ryokan or traditional hotel instead next time.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Angry Asian posted:

Staying at Akihabara is fine, I've found decent deals and stayed at hotels a few steps away from the station and I found it to be great with everything you need close by. If you're into the electronics/manga nerdy stuff like you say, then go for it. If you're budget isn't in agreement, then yeah you definitely can find something a little further out for cheaper.

It seems like the general consensus for cool areas to look for hotels as a Tokyo newbie are Shibuya/Ueno, but I've found three that have caught my eye so far:

Dai-Ichi Hotel Ryogoku (more traditional high rated started hotel tower without busting the bank)
The Millenials Shibuya (really cool capsules that turn into in-house projectors screens)
First Cabin Shinbashi Atagoyama (stupidly big capsule space for super cheap)

Some other ones I'd be curious to look at are Resol Poshtel Tokyo Asakusa, remm Roppongi, Henn na Hotel Tokyo Asakusa Tawaramachi, etc Hopefully something with either high-floor tower hotel or luxury-ish capsule for the oddity/experience and good experience/social opportunities for solo travelers.

Is it better to go with a higher floor tower hotel overlooking the Tokyo skyline or be closer to the ground?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What is the difference between a luxury hotel and a business hotel? The Trip app doesn't seem to make the distinction for filtering results. Is this a Japanese terminology thing or what?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
As a foreigner, is it possible to go to a hostess club in Tokyo just to see what is it like and not spend too much money? Or is it a guaranteed way to find yourself scammed out of tons of money? Also, is it even possible to attend one if you are not fluent in Japanese?

Maybe not the best comparison, but I visited Bangla walking street a few times during my Thailand vacation recently and, while it was interesting to see and walk through, actually entering a club and spending money there seemed crazy to me. Like, why would you willing enter into a situation where there's a high risk of losing a ton of money for not much value or being forced into a situation where you can't leave freely? Value in this case meaning conversation with someone you know you are paying just to talk and drink with you. At the end of the day, it all would seems artificial, but I guess people like paying for fantasies like that? Again, I'd be curious just to see what it's like in person, but I feel like it could get very awkward very quickly.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 21, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Changing topics: what are some absolutely top-tier restaurants in Tokyo that every foodie should go to? Also, are there any Japanese food terms I should keep an ear or eye out for?

For example, I've heard words like omakase, izakaya and keiseki meals. Omakase is the one where you have the chef prepare what they'd like, right? I think that sounds absolutely delightful, but I've also heard that it's rather expensive. How come?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 22, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just booked hotel and flight for May 1-5! :woop: Gonna be staying at the Millenials capsule hotel in Shibuya.

Are there any bars and izakaya in the area you all would recommend? Especially looking for yakiniku and beer and/or sushi places.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 8, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've never been to Tokyo before so, even though I live and work in Beijing, the sheer density of shops/restaurants etc in Tokyo must be on a different scale so my sense of things may be way off.

Still, I appreciate the help!

What is the difference between Tokyo Metro Pass and Suica/Passmo? Apparently the former is meant for tourists and can be used to ride the subway/train for 24/48/72 hours but can only be used on certain lines and not others? :confused: Should I get 72 + 24 hours in my case? Do Suica/Passmo work on other public transit like busses as well?

E:

totalnewbie posted:

I really like that place. Good choice.

And yes, there are literally hundreds of restaurants within a 5 minute walk. Look on tabelog and understand that 3+ is good and 3.5+ is exceptional.

Yeah, it was mainly down to Millenials and Dai Ichi Ryogoku in Ueno and while the latter still looked very nice, I mainly want to be in the heart of all the action and try out a Japanese-style capsule hotel for this trip.

Also just noticed tabelog. Do you need to reserve tables at a lot of Japanese restaurants or izakaya in advance? If so, how far in advance? It also seems like the prices increase a lot between lunch and dinner time. The rating system looks weird too but I'll take your word for it.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 8, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zettace posted:

The Tokyo Metro Pass is basically a ticket that lets you ride just the subway an unlimited amount for 24/48/72 hours. Last time I did this math you need to ride like 4-6 times per 24 hour period for it to be worth it so plan out your routes first. Main thing is this is only for subway use and not everything is accessible by subway or some route might not be the most optimal to use the subway. For JR commuter trains, buses, monorail, etc this pass won't work and you'll need to pay out of pocket to ride those.

A Suica/Pasmo is a prepaid transit card. You get a card and load it with money which you can use to quickly pay for transit by tapping at the gates. There's no discount for using this but it's super convenient and can be used for basically all forms of transit in Tokyo. You can also use the card to pay for things at vending machines and some shops (conbinis included).

Wouldn't it be more convenient to just rely on Suica since it works with everything instead of jumping through hoops with Tokyo Subway Pass? How much should I load onto Suica? 5,000 yen?

Also any handy apps you might recommend?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Okay, so apparently they've suspended giving out new IC cards since last year, but you can still get tourist IC cards that expire after 28 days.

Problem for me is that it can only be bought with a credit card, not cash or debit. Seriously, what is with certain things in Japan mandating a credit card like reserving Ghibli Museum tickets??

I don't have one and don't plan on opening a new one soon since building credit in China is useless to me. Would it be possible to ask some rando in the airport or convenience store to buy it for me and I give them cash or does the credit card have to be in your name?

E: also Google Maps I'm sure is great for getting from point A to point B, but sometimes I like looking at a static map of the rail system just to orient myself and get a sense of my surroundings. Metroman Beijing is excellent for this, but Metroman Japan is kind of garbo by comparison.

E2: I guess I spoke too soon. Passmo Tourist is credit only, Welcome Suica is cash only apparently. I wanted Suica anyways so this is fine.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 8, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zettace posted:

You can buy regular suica IC cards at the JR East Travel Centers at Tokyo, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Ueno, Shinagawa stations now.

Ooh! This is good to know, thank you! I'd much rather get a regular Suica IC card with a cute penguin on it that I can use again on a future trip to Japan instead of a temporary one that expires (albeit one that also looks nice).

E: I guess from Haneda I could buy a paper ticket to the Shibuya station, get the Suica IC card then dump my luggage at the hotel. Sounds like a plan. :D

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 9, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It looks like Klook is a major ticket vendor app in Japan. Apparently you can reserve Ghibli Museum Mitaka tickets through them and pay using Wechat Pay/Alipay instead of credit card as intended, but the price is jacked up 10x compared to general admission (431 rmb vs 48 rmb). I guess it's doable if the normal ticket route is immediately sold out, but I'd rather wait until April 10 first to try my luck at it first.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is it legal to gamble in Japan? What about social games of Texas Hold Em (ie no money exchanged, just playing for chips)? It'd be nice to play a game of cards with a different crowd of folks in Tokyo if possible. I've heard that actual betting with horse races is legal, but apparently the definitions of what is legal and illegal to gamble on are narrow. Where do people usually go to place bets legally? At the same time, pachinko is kind of like quasi-gambling in the sense that you collect balls from the pachinko parlor then go trade them for money somewhere else, right?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zmcnulty posted:

The only legal gambling is horse racing (keiba), boat racing (kyotei), bicycle racing (keirin) and auto race (motorcycle but closer to NASCAR). There are "amusement casinos" and you basically play for chips that can't be cashed out.

Okay, well let's limit it to horse racing then. It was cool watching a horse race in Hong Kong a few years ago even though I didn't bet. Apparently the closest place to watch a horse race in Tokyo is the Tokyo Racecourse in Fuchu? How close to the event date do you get to see race times on the online schedule?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm starting to place restaurant reservations and order tickets for stuff like the Ghibli Museum tour etc. That being said, I'd like to go to a Michelin starred restaurant if possible for the experience but have no idea where to start looking.

I do have a certain budget in mind I'd like to stick with (1k-2k rmb or $140-$277 USD/21k-42k yen) but no idea how to narrow down my choices beyond that. I guess sushi or kaiseki/omakase? But apparently Japanese people don't actually divide restaurants by omakase and it's just a way of saying a restaurant fixed course menu? It's basically an embarrassment of riches when it comes to food choices in Tokyo.

Any recommendations? I guess I could peruse tabelog... :shrug:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I guess some other factors involved are that I want to eat at a “suit required” kind of restaurant (I’m getting a suit tailored for the Tokyo trip, so I might as well use it lol) and sit at the counter where it feels like the chef is making the food directly for you. The exact cuisine I’m not too particular on, since apparently the chefs in Tokyo can make Chinese/French/Italian etc food better than you might find in their respective countries.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 9, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What is the appeal of kaiseki? Is it similar to tapas? I guess it's because they put rigorous amounts of attention into each small dish they bring out? I've also heard that that style of cuisine is exclusively a high-end restaurant treat.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Why don't you just do this, only you know what you think will be good.

I mean, sure. But I'm still trying to figure out how it works since it seems kind of obtuse even in English. Like I don't even know if they sort restaurants by kaiseki or not. I can't see an option for it even under the extended cuisine options.

There is this blog that lays out the basics for navigating tabelog, at least:

https://www.arishaintokyo.com/tag/tabelog/

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
This might sound a bit goofy, but I kind of like the idea of eating a Michelin starred meal somewhere with a great view of the city. With that being said, has anyone tried eating at Nabeno-ism or Pierre Gagnaire at the Ana Continental Hotel? I know those are both French cuisine offerings, but the food looks good at a price I can still manage (roughly 28k yen).

I'll still be eating Japanese food elsewhere on the trip, it doesn’t necessarily need to be so during this potential “high-end dining” outing.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

extravadanza posted:

If you are staying in a nicer hotel with a concierge? If so, might just try to offload reservation making to them if possible. I bet even business grade hotels in japan will book restaurants for you too, they are just so dang eager to help however they can.

I’m pretty sure my hotel will have a concierge. Still, when reserving through the hotel, do they require that you give them a credit card or can you give them cash and they reserve on your behalf?

I don’t actually have my own credit card (I have a Chinese debit card but it seems like Japanese restaurants don’t accept Union Pay cards, just Visa/Mastercard/JCB/Diner’s Club), so so far I’ve been relying on my British coworker to help place reservations via his Visa card.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh my dear God, trying to get a Ghibli Museum ticket through the official website/Lawson's is sheer insanity. :psyduck:

Of course it's a weekday for me, so I need to work. I tried doing it immediately in the morning, but it turns out I had to make an account and had to deal with half-width/full-width/transliterate your name into kanji and kana bullshit which meant I had to look after my actual, urgent work first. I keep trying to squeeze in time between editing articles to make progress on the Ghibli ticket thing, but lo and behold the registration page times out after several minutes so I have to start all over again. All the while I can see time slots rapidly selling out.

I keep bouncing between my actual work and futzing around with the website until finally I give up and resign myself to focusing on my actual work until my lunch break. But I guess that's when all the other straggler mopes like myself also checked in all the same time, causing the website to crash and display errors. Finally when I get through finishing my account and am able to pay - whoops, now the whole month is sold out.

Jeeeeeeesus Christ, how does anyone manage this system? :psyboom: Also, where else can I go to buy a ticket at obviously scalped prices?

e: Also I tried making an account for some e-ticket site to get a ticket for a Delicious in Dungeon expo but I guess there you need a Japanese mobile number so it can call you to authenticate? I guess that's not happening either unless the hotel helps me with it later.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DiscoJ posted:

What are your dates? The museum will actually be closed for 2 weeks mid-month. It does usually sell out quickly on the foreign site (Japanese still has plenty of availability, though some days are sold out), but May has less availability than normal.

I'm planning on visiting the Ghibli Museum on May 2. I was able to score a ticket through Taobao (Chinese Amazon basically), but got scalped pretty bad. 50 yuan to 300 yuan lol (so 1k yen to 6.3k yen).