Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hey, it's a new year and we're still posting in the December thread. It's January, conference games have started, and what may be the best game of the season just happened with Kansas beating Oklahoma in Triple OT.

Here are current AP rankings:

1 Kansas (44) 12-1
2 Oklahoma (21) 12-0
3 Maryland 13-1
4 Virginia 12-1
5 Michigan State 14-1
6 North Carolina 13-2
7 Arizona 13-1
8 Providence 14-1
9 Kentucky 11-2
10 Xavier 13-1
11 Villanova 12-2
12 Miami (FL) 12-1
13 Iowa State 11-2
14 Duke 12-2
15 SMU 13-0
16 Louisville 12-2
17 West Virginia 12-1
18 Butler 11-3
19 Iowa 11-3
20 Purdue 13-2
21 Texas A&M 11-2
22 South Carolina 13-0
23 Connecticut 10-3
24 Pittsburgh 12-1
25 Dayton 11-2

Kansas is going to hold onto that #1 ranking for a while I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Clearly I shouldn't have gone to bed early last night.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So how did Va Tech beat Virginia?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

And we're down to two undefeated teams! SMU and South Carolina - who will survive the longest? Neither one has a super hard game in their upcoming slate, so who knows?!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

They were unconscious from the field and UVA turned the ball over way too much. Shoulda been a 10 point win but VT tried to throw it away by missing late free throws

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Henchman of Santa posted:

Played their asses off while our bench disappeared. Four guards combined for 49 minutes and 2 points. Tech, meanwhile, was extremely intense from the start, shot 59% FTs and 53% 3-pointers. Points off turnovers was something like 28-6.

This team is our third best in the past three years. Still very good, but we are missing a couple of ingredients. Isaiah Wilkins is trying, and often is the glue guy filling up the stat sheet, but he's no defensive cornerstone like Akil Mitchell or Darion Atkins. And we are missing a third shooter badly. Evan Nolte's confidence has cratered (he put up a five trillion recently), Marial Shayok's hand has been dinged up, and neither Devon Hall nor Darius Thompson has been consistent enough from outside.

I'm hoping Shayok heals up and returns to form. However he reminds me of back in the 90s when Anthony Oliver was doing everything we needed him to do as a Junior: averaged 10 and 4, led the team in FT percentage, played great defense and knew his role. Then he broke his hand and never got his confidence back. Hopefully Shayok's hand heals properly and he can supplant Thompson for the fifth starting spot.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
What a surprise

Mark Zeigler ‏@sdutzeigler 28m28 minutes ago

SDSU just announced that NCAA allegations were "not substantiated" and case has been closed.

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013

paperchaseguy posted:

I'm hoping Shayok heals up and returns to form. However he reminds me of back in the 90s when Anthony Oliver was doing everything we needed him to do as a Junior: averaged 10 and 4, led the team in FT percentage, played great defense and knew his role. Then he broke his hand and never got his confidence back. Hopefully Shayok's hand heals properly and he can supplant Thompson for the fifth starting spot.

He has the longest arms and he was so physical at times last year. I didn't realize he was injured and thought it was a fluke.

I didn't like how the game was called last night, even though the refs didn't favor VT. They called many ticky-tack fouls. Buzz Williams coached a great game though. VT set a ton of inside screens to get perimeter shooters open and at times ran the pick and roll on UVA like they were 4th graders. They also played lock down perimeter defense and doubled Anthony Gill in the post, which I expect more teams to do in the future. Man do I hate losing to Tech, but I have to hand it to them.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

14-0 and it feels so good, especially starting SEC play with a road win. Even better that it was against Auburn, who we seemingly never beat. Suck a dick, AU.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I was in Kalamazoo watching Western Michigan lose to Kent State in OT, but I'm really happy IU managed to gut out a win against Wisconsin.

Nothing was going the Hoosiers' way but they managed to win. They finally won a game where they had to play defense instead of making it a shootout.

E: reports coming that James Blackmon Jr. will miss the rest of the season. That's a blow to the offense.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 6, 2016

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Skal Labissiere is a testicle.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
The more games Kentucky plays the more I wonder how the hell they beat Duke. Also why people keep voting them into the top 10. This team is not going to win very many road games this season. If they can barely stay within 20 of LSU they'll probably lose by 40 at Kansas. That game is going to be a disaster.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Kentucky is, um, not very good right now out of Ulis. Skal is just a big WTF moment and Briscoe is painful to watch at times. Marcus Lee is still awesome, though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

Kentucky is, um, not very good right now out of Ulis. Skal is just a big WTF moment and Briscoe is painful to watch at times. Marcus Lee is still awesome, though.

Not knowing which version of any given player is going to show up on any given night is nerve wracking. Murray is putting up stats but he's also painful to watch when he's cold. I feel like the ceiling for a lot of UK players is still very high but they're just don't really know how to play basketball yet.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Blackmon is definitely out for the season. Anunoby and Morgan are really going to have to step up.

If they can, the improved defense might just make up for the worse offense without Blackmon. If not...things might get ugly.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Please Lane Kiffin Dave Rice

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
RIP Johnny Johnson. One of the guys on the shortlist for best player in the history of Iowa basketball. He and (Downtown) Freddie Brown teamed up for what had to be one of the most fun college teams of all time. In 1970 they averaged 102 points a game on their way to a perfect conference season. And that was before a shot clock or the three point shot, which is a thing I imagine would have been a benefit to a team where one of the best players was nicknamed "Downtown". Those two are also cool because they wound up playing together in Junior College, College, and then the NBA on the Sonics NBA Title team, before going into business together after retirement.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sorry, goldy

e: Went to the Maryland/Wisconsin game. Badger fans really need to chill out about Diamond Stone.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

sorry, goldy

e: Went to the Maryland/Wisconsin game. Badger fans really need to chill out about Diamond Stone.

Especially since, if Wisconsin fans are to be believed, he wanted to go there but just didn't have the grades for The Harvard of Madison, Wisconsin

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm at Welsh Ryan Arena for a wrestling meet and holy poo poo Northwestern plays basketball in a glorified high school gym hahahaha

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

our dumb basketball barn owns, bitch

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Unconfirmed reports that UNLV's long nightmare may finally be over :woop:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lessail posted:

I'm happy for you :unsmith:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Lessail posted:

god damnit

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

I really thought they'd wait until the season was over to fire him, but drat you do not go 0-3 in this bad of a Mountain West Conference with the talent he had and expect to survive.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Danny Manning owns, you guys.

I love basketball again. :unsmith:

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Danny Manning owns, you guys.

I love basketball again. :unsmith:

KU bigs are missing the gently caress out of him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Matey posted:

KU bigs are missing the gently caress out of him.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I am very happy with the current state of Indiana University Men's Basketball.

I still think losing Blackmon will be bad in the long-term, but the improved defense has really been great the last few games. Yesterday's game against OSU was one of IU's best defensive performances since 2013.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
WVU is ranked 10th and I don't know how I feel about it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ISU dropped to 17th, but they have a shot to rattle off four wins or so and get back into the top 10. I probably shouldn't be surprised, but it seems like this year's team really didn't improve over last year. Losing Long early on hurt because they went from playing 8 to playing 7, and I think that lack of depth is hurting them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
UVA dropped to 11 & 13 which is pretty good all things considered. Probably deserved to fall further, but a combination of a lot of other teams losing and maybe Virginia getting a little respect kept us higher than we should be. Miami tomorrow night will either be a nice chance for the team to recover and regain some confidence, or to continue to free fall.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

ISU dropped to 17th

This is fun only because Iowa is 16th and it's making some people SO mad. I imagine it's not going to last long though. Like you said, ISU's upcoming schedule is pretty easy and Iowa will probably drop their game tomorrow against MSU since it's in East Lansing (where I believe we last won in around 1874 or so) and Valentine is back for the Spartans.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

WVU is ranked 10th and I don't know how I feel about it.

I saw smu at ten but whatevs baylor bitch at the perfect low 20s spot to do some damage before losing four in a row to unrankeds

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the last Big Ten team to be poo poo on so badly by Northwestern on the road was the University of Chicago

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Well Michigan's best player is hurt probably forever and they have no center, but otherwise the team is pretty cool. Capable of losing to anyone with lay-up line defense, capable of beating anyone via shooting 43% from three as a team at the moment

Not looking forward to this Purdue, Maryland, Iowa stretch with Levert dead but at least the schedule lightens up after that

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

RIP :smith:

Glad Stevens got to see him a few days ago at least.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So how far are we away from #1 SMU? Assuming they'll keep winning, they're gonna jump Miami, though WVU will probably jump above them. How far will Maryland drop after their loss?

I just want to see a team that's at the top of one poll and completely off of the other because they can't go to the postseason.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
It kind of sucks we have to play OU this week now though cause some of the bump we'd get from beating #1 is gonna get lessened when OU runs us out of the gym again

still beating #1 for the first time in my life was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Mizzou just suffered its worse home loss since 1957 to a not very good Arkansas team. The Kim Anderson experiment has to be drawing to a close after this season.

• Locked thread