Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

N: ISU is 1-3 in conference after losing to Texas.

V: this is pretty much the opposite record I expected ISU to be at right now. It's early, so there is still plenty of time to turn things around, but ISU needs to get things together, or else they'll end up like an 8 seed.

Prohm got put in a tough spot, he had to come out and keep this team a winner, and then try to establish the program after most of the team graduates this year. Falling behind now, will not help the rebuilding effort to come over the next couple of years. Losing Mitrou-Long early in the season hurt way more than I anticipated. The lack of depth really is starting to show I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Somehow the Frank Haith hire got even worse...

quote:

Major violations found at Missouri; penalties imposed

The Missouri men's basketball team must vacate all 23 wins from the 2013-14 season as a result of a 19-month investigation by the university and the NCAA into the program and former coach Frank Haith.

Among the other sanctions levied against the program by the university: a one-year postseason ban, one scholarship loss in 2015-16 and another no later than the 2017-18 season, and a $5,000 fine to be paid to the NCAA.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ajor-violations

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

kiimo posted:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ajor-violations

Oh god, our NIT Participant banner is gonna have to come down and no postseason this year! I guess the Kim Anderson hire makes more sense if the administration knew about all of this.

Jesus, I didn't think it'd be possible for me to hate the Frank Haith hire more than I already did.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If I'm reading this right Missouri received the initial NCAA letter on April 14, 2014. Frank Haith took the Tulsa job on April 18, 2014.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Oh god, our NIT Participant banner is gonna have to come down and no postseason this year! I guess the Kim Anderson hire makes more sense if the administration knew about all of this.

Jesus, I didn't think it'd be possible for me to hate the Frank Haith hire more than I already did.

Legit laughed when I read about this. They'll lose a scholarship or two too which sucks but whatever.

Kim's gonna get two more years just to get all of that done I bet.

And yeah Frank Haith got out of town 4 days after they heard from the NCAA.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Dear god, if we beat Oklahoma (never gonna happen) we really could be #1. :stare:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

kiimo posted:

Goes for Tulsa too.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I haven't posted much but I still love Danny Manning and Bryant Crawford may be Wake's best overall point guard since Chris Paul and it owns.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Apropos of nothing but...

https://twitter.com/BlackPplVines/status/686639241011572738

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

You just keep thinking "well surely that's the last fuckup..."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
someone please talk me down from my absurdly high level of Iowa basketball optimism because it feels wrong and I fear it can end only in pain

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

MourningView posted:

someone please talk me down from my absurdly high level of Iowa basketball optimism because it feels wrong and I fear it can end only in pain

Kansas. Kansas always wins.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

If we get to the point where we have to play them the season will have been a massive success so that seems irrelevant!

If this is just subtly trolling me though it's pretty well done.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

If we get to the point where we have to play them the season will have been a massive success so that seems irrelevant!

If this is just subtly trolling me though it's pretty well done.

Second round of the tourney sounds like success to you?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

Iowa is playing far above and 8 or a 9 seed right now.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

Iowa will be the first team to lose to a 16th seed

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kibner posted:

He's not talking about Iowa State.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

kiimo posted:

He's not talking about Iowa State.

gently caress. I've been exposed. I got the conferences they were in mixed up. :downs:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

Would have taken it at the start of the season, but Iowa's currently projected as a 2 seed in a lot of places (where they'd mostly likely play the first round in Des Moines which would be rad as hell). That might be a little optimistic but somewhere in the 2-5 range seems reasonable with the way things are going. They've got games in the next two weeks against Maryland, Purdue, and Michigan and after that their conference schedule is pretty easy sailing, at least on paper. They're most of the way through the hard part of it and haven't lost one yet. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop though.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

MourningView posted:

Would have taken it at the start of the season, but Iowa's currently projected as a 2 seed in a lot of places (where they'd mostly likely play the first round in Des Moines which would be rad as hell). That might be a little optimistic but somewhere in the 2-5 range seems reasonable with the way things are going. They've got games in the next two weeks against Maryland, Purdue, and Michigan and after that their conference schedule is pretty easy sailing, at least on paper. They're most of the way through the hard part of it and haven't lost one yet. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop though.

The joke is that Kansas never gets past the second round.

I think Iowa gets bumped to 3 thanks to some bullshit team like Duke, but they're definitely going to make some noise.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
n: gently caress auburn
v: gently caress this disappointing team. someone ought to set up a gofundme for Tyler Ulis's inevitable back brace he'll need from carrying them this season

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
WVU really impressed me tonight.

I thought we'd get run out of the gym. I think we proved we belong in the discussion for a 1-seed

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
N: unnamed source saying pitino is interested in unlv job

V: gently caress it just throw out names lol just like how the boosters will somehow get archie miller lol or jay wright lol

this city be crazy when allowed to dream again :holy:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Lessail posted:

N: unnamed source saying pitino is interested in unlv job

V: gently caress it just throw out names lol just like how the boosters will somehow get archie miller lol or jay wright lol

this city be crazy when allowed to dream again :holy:

archie miller is a possibility. jay wright is not.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

archie miller is a possibility. jay wright is not.

hahaha no way, don't give me hope so it can only be crushed

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Lessail posted:

hahaha no way, don't give me hope so it can only be crushed

Y'all are a way better gig than Dayton. Would be a great fit for him, good recruiting class, excellent facilities. No reason to think he wouldn't be interested.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Y'all are a way better gig than Dayton. Would be a great fit for him, good recruiting class, excellent facilities. No reason to think he wouldn't be interested.

I figure he's gonna have his pick of a P5 job which prices us out. Nice to hear someone not talk down UNLV, though. I was beginning to think that maybe it isn't a good place on paper.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Providence losing really put a nice little bow on this week setting fire to the Top 25. Let's recap the last week:

1 Kansas - Lost to West Virginia
2 Oklahoma - Did Not Lose
3 Maryland - Lost to Michigan
4 Michigan State - Lost to Iowa
5 North Carolina - Did Not Lose
6 Villanova - Did Not Lose
7 Xavier - Did Not Lose
8 Miami (FL) - Lost to Virginia and Clemson
9 Duke - Lost to Clemson and Notre Dame
10 SMU - Did Not Lose but is still ineligible for the postseason
11 West Virginia - Lost to Oklahoma
12 Providence - Lost to Seton Hall
13 Virginia - Did Not Lose but has lost two of their last three
14 Kentucky - Lost to Auburn
15 Texas A&M - Did Not Lose
16 Iowa - Did Not Lose
17 Iowa State - Lost to Texas
18 Arizona - Did Not Lose but has lost two of their last four
19 South Carolina - Lost to Alabama
20 Pittsburgh - Lost to Louisville
21 Louisville - Lost to Clemson
22 Baylor - Did Not Lose
23 Butler - Lost to Villanova
24 Purdue - Lost to Illinois
25 Gonzaga - Lost to BYU

So, we have 15 teams that lost a game in the last week, two more that have stumbled a lot recently, and the only unbeaten team cannot go to the NCAA Tournament. The moral of the story is, don't gently caress with Clemson, apparently.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Gonna go ahead and prepare myself mentally for the UNC national championship about to ensue and thank various entities that I'll be nowhere near ACC territory when it happens.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

elentar posted:

Gonna go ahead and prepare myself mentally for the UNC national championship about to ensue and thank various entities that I'll be nowhere near ACC territory when it happens.

UNC dropped a game to a UNI team that's crap now and fell behind to NC State at home before getting their poo poo together. I don't think they're going to be consistent enough to win the whole thing.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Yoshifan823 posted:

the only unbeaten team cannot go to the NCAA Tournament.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about that. I'm now officially pulling for SMU to go undefeated through the entire season just for the amount of angst that would cause.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Probably Magic posted:

UNC dropped a game to a UNI team that's crap now and fell behind to NC State at home before getting their poo poo together. I don't think they're going to be consistent enough to win the whole thing.

Most champions do go through an entire season without any mistakes, you're right.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Iowa having an 85% of winning today according to kenpom terrifies me. Of course, if Iowa has the kind of season it's looking like they could have, every single game will terrify me. Something to look forward to.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

vikingstrike posted:

Most champions do go through an entire season without any mistakes, you're right.

...their only marquee win is Maryland.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Probably Magic posted:

...their only marquee win is Maryland.

That's a different point and not what you said. Sure, if they aren't good enough to win it all, they won't.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

Iowa having an 85% of winning today according to kenpom terrifies me. Of course, if Iowa has the kind of season it's looking like they could have, every single game will terrify me. Something to look forward to.

Yeah I'm not super confident in this one just because Michigan can shoot so well. We should be able to put up points though

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, I don't think OU, KU, or even Sparty without Valentine had a loss that looks as bad as that UNI one so far. It'd be one thing if everyone had a loss to an unranked team, but that's not the case. So, yeah, I still think consistency is an issue for them when it comes to a championship conversation.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Fair enough. I just think you're weighting (1) a November game too heavily, and (2) forgetting they didn't have Marcus Page for that game.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Wisconsin finally beat a good team. Although it seemed like there was some home cookin from the refs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I hate Wisconsin basketball even more than Michigan football

• Locked thread