Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Scrapez posted:

I mean unguardable from an athleticism perspective. Obviously, there are a whole lot of other facets to the game. They seemed to have an advantage off the dribble and yet they were content to chuck up contested threes. I realize some of that was due to Iowa playing zone but still. You have the rebounding advantage you try to drive and shoot and get offensive rebounds or dump off to the monsters inside.

Anyway, maybe a few possessions in the game are just sticking out in my mind and I'm exaggerating it. I just felt like Purdue had a lot of talent and should be a better team than they are.

Our guards aren't very good (at least relative to the front court) and, for some reason, we've struggled to get the ball inside against Iowa both times we played them. Vince Edwards is the only guy who can drive with any sort of consistency and even he disappears sometimes during a game. Also, Swanigan is always good for a few bonehead turnovers per game and the rest of the team isn't much better in that regard at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

N: ISU beat Kansas last night.

V: ISU is back, but probably not back enough to actually win the Big 12. They do have wins over the current, 1, 3, and 4 ranked teams, and play #5 Saturday. IF they beat Texas A&M Saturday, then I think they deserve to be back in the top 5, but I kind of doubt that will happen.

Also, McKay has been playing hurt for a few weeks now and is really not his normal self. We really need him back at 100% come March.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

N: ISU beat Kansas last night.

V: ISU is back, but probably not back enough to actually win the Big 12. They do have wins over the current, 1, 3, and 4 ranked teams, and play #5 Saturday. IF they beat Texas A&M Saturday, then I think they deserve to be back in the top 5, but I kind of doubt that will happen.

Also, McKay has been playing hurt for a few weeks now and is really not his normal self. We really need him back at 100% come March.

What have their issues been when they've lost before this recent winning streak? I haven't watched the games they lost but was really surprised when I saw the scores.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scrapez posted:

What have their issues been when they've lost before this recent winning streak? I haven't watched the games they lost but was really surprised when I saw the scores.

A combination of crappy defense and them getting gassed from only playing like 6 guys.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea, MourningView essentially nailed it. They lacked energy through those games down the stretch and it cost them. The Baylor loss will probably sting the most (again) since Baylor is sitting right above ISU in the standings. They really haven't had a bad game since that Texas loss, so I think they have a little more focus in them now. Lots of tough games to go though, @Baylor, both WVU games, and @KU. I expect ISU to lose at least twice more in conference play.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The saddest thing about the disintegration of KU is that it started when Self began to trip the lineup as he does every year. That means the guys you are relying on more are failing.

It's frustrating.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
What does tripping a line up mean?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
it is entirely possible we lose tonight

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

In the sense that anyone could technically lose on any night, I would agree.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

emaw

(you won't)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

OctoberBlues posted:

In the sense that anyone could technically lose on any night, I would agree.

We struggled with them on their home floor, and are not playing our best.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
UVA is trying to pick up their first ACC road win tonight. At Wake Forest. Where we have historically been very bad. gently caress.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

What does tripping a line up mean?

Trim. Me type bad. Narrowing the rotation is the correct phrase.

Dr.Donkeypunch
Sep 8, 2003

Ask me about ironing shirts.
Grimey Drawer
Think this will finally be the year where KU's streak comes to an end. They're a very frustrating team to watch. They looked really good in the first half last night, but the second half was an endless string of turnovers, bad shots, and terrible defense. Pretty uncharacteristic of a Bill Self team.
The Big 12 is such a gauntlet this year. Bet the team that wins it will have at least 4 losses. West Virginia, Oklahoma, Iowa state... They've all got what it takes to win the league.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kiimo posted:

Trim. Me type bad. Narrowing the rotation is the correct phrase.

Ah that makes more sense. I was thinking to myself "how have I followed this sport that long and never heard that phrase"?

I'm really hoping UK's trip to Allen fieldhouse doesn't end as terribly as the last two times have.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I thought I was in the NCAAF thread and we were talking about Maty Mauk.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I didn't know this, but we're apparently the only team in the SEC with five players averaging double figures. Neat.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
That's pretty rare in general, I'd think.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

Yeah, but given how offensively challenged we've been for about six years now, it's even more amazing.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

The saddest thing about the disintegration of KU is that it started when Self began to trip the lineup as he does every year. That means the guys you are relying on more are failing.

It's frustrating.

I know that training up freshman during close in-conference games is less than ideal, but man does Diallo need more playing time. We only have one notable recruit for next year, and not giving more playtime to our one-and-done isn't going to look good to future recruits.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
HOLY poo poo. HOLY poo poo.

Virginia trailed Wake by 7 with 21 seconds left, had no timeouts and Wake had possession AND WE WON. Wake went 1-4 from the line down the stretch while we went 3-3 from 3.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14655669

We're struggling a bit so it's nice to have one of these miracles go our way for once. Kenpom's weekly "most unlikely finish" is bound to include this game.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

paperchaseguy posted:

Kenpom's weekly "most unlikely finish" is bound to include this game.

That was my first thought - I wonder how low Virginia's chances of winning were?!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

I'd guess it is. I know the other night I heard Maryland has 5 players averaging double figures.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

OctoberBlues posted:

That was my first thought - I wonder how low Virginia's chances of winning were?!

According to his box score, minimum win probability was 0.2% at 70-63 with 22 seconds left, after they'd just turned the ball over. The graph looks even starker:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

According to his box score, minimum win probability was 0.2% at 70-63 with 22 seconds left, after they'd just turned the ball over. The graph looks even starker:

Here's a couple different metrics showing win probability. According to them, Wake's lead was 100% safe at various times.

Edit: Here's the safe% graph, showing Wake at 100% safe with 1:23 to go.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 27, 2016

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Scrapez posted:

I'd guess it is. I know the other night I heard Maryland has 5 players averaging double figures.

ISU has 5 players averaging double digits right now. It's been that way almost all season. Burton even has 8.5 and he plays like 15 minutes a game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Missouri has two players averaging double digits!

They average 11.5 and 10.4 ppg.

e: Actually it's kind of amazing they manage to get up to 68 points a game (which is good for 293rd in the nation)

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 27, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If you have players going in and out of injury, it's easier to get more players averaging double figures because they aren't taking shots from each other. It's quite easy to end up with significantly higher sum of player PPG than team PPG.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

I know that training up freshman during close in-conference games is less than ideal, but man does Diallo need more playing time. We only have one notable recruit for next year, and not giving more playtime to our one-and-done isn't going to look good to future recruits.

Except Diallo is terrible. The real tragedy is Bragg not getting more time.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Michigan plays Rutgers tonight at home, should be an easy win, but also losing to Rutgers at home would be the most humiliating thing to ever happen in the history of sports, so it's a little anxiety inducing

John Beilein attempts to talk up the opponent:

quote:

“Everyone’s a Division I player,” Beilein said. “Everybody can run and dunk and, with the three-pointer and foul trouble, anybody can win a game.”

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kibner posted:

If you have players going in and out of injury, it's easier to get more players averaging double figures because they aren't taking shots from each other. It's quite easy to end up with significantly higher sum of player PPG than team PPG.

At ISU, I didn't even include Long who is in double digits, but only played 8 games, and will be out for the rest of the season. All five of ISU's starters are in double digits, and none have really sat out at all. They all play a lot though, I think everyone is over 30 minutes a game.

Edit: Jameel McKay looks to have only a minor knee problem. It's been bugging him for a while, but I guess there's no structural injury, so maybe it's just some inflammation . I bet he gets limited against A&M so that he is healthier for conference games.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 27, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Michigan plays Rutgers tonight at home, should be an easy win, but also losing to Rutgers at home would be the most humiliating thing to ever happen in the history of sports, so it's a little anxiety inducing

John Beilein attempts to talk up the opponent:

Beliein has lost to worse, in fairness.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Beliein has lost to worse, in fairness.

I'm pretty sure he actually hasn't, not because he hasn't lost to horrible teams (NJIT last year..) but because Rutgers is actually that horrible. In fact, Michigan only played two non conference opponents who were ranked lower in Kenpom than Rutgers.

They beat Charlotte and Youngstown State (both ranked higher than Rutgers) by scores of 102-47 and 105-46

I don't think mocking Rutgers is ever going to get old, so maybe Jim Delaney was right to invite them into the Big 10

just kidding he was wrong because they stink lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
We beat them by 14 and it felt like a borderline disaster

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bird in a Blender posted:

At ISU, I didn't even include Long who is in double digits, but only played 8 games, and will be out for the rest of the season. All five of ISU's starters are in double digits, and none have really sat out at all. They all play a lot though, I think everyone is over 30 minutes a game.

Edit: Jameel McKay looks to have only a minor knee problem. It's been bugging him for a while, but I guess there's no structural injury, so maybe it's just some inflammation . I bet he gets limited against A&M so that he is healthier for conference games.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that was happening, just offering an explanation as to one way that kind of stat can be misleading.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm pretty sure he actually hasn't, not because he hasn't lost to horrible teams (NJIT last year..) but because Rutgers is actually that horrible. In fact, Michigan only played two non conference opponents who were ranked lower in Kenpom than Rutgers.

They beat Charlotte and Youngstown State (both ranked higher than Rutgers) by scores of 102-47 and 105-46

I don't think mocking Rutgers is ever going to get old, so maybe Jim Delaney was right to invite them into the Big 10

I would like to see NJIT and Rutgers battle it out to see who the true poo poo kings of New Jersey are.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Henchman of Santa posted:

I would like to see NJIT and Rutgers battle it out to see who the true poo poo kings of New Jersey are.

Rutgers is known as the state university of New Jersey, so NJIT already won.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

NJIT would be around a 4.5 point favorite on a neutral court, haha.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'll look when I get a chance, but I feel like losing, at home, by like 20 to Northeastern was was worse.

Or the team that went to the Elite 8, losing to a 5 win Marshall team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'll look when I get a chance, but I feel like losing, at home, by like 20 to Northeastern was was worse.

Or the team that went to the Elite 8, losing to a 5 win Marshall team.

It genuinely might not be. Rutgers is both historically bad and down to something like 6 scholarship players.

• Locked thread