Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Roger Craig posted:

Wisconsin finally beat a good team. Although it seemed like there was some home cookin from the refs...

Wisconsin was due to win a close one.

MSU plays 'dare you to call a foul every possession' defense. I appreciated that the refs didn't shy away from making the right calls and shrinking away like they sometimes do with handsy teams.

Wisconsin is limited from the perimeter and msu didn't clog the lane and doubled Nigel Hayes like other teams have had success with. And it cost them because they reached instead of playing vertical D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I think if OU is ranked #1 this thread should have Boomer Sooner as a background song as a rule.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

If you're a weirdo like me, you're starting to get excited for the conference tournaments. Like last year, I have a shared google doc file with all of the tournaments updated for this year. They are mostly the same, except moved up two days. The main changes seem to be:

Big Sky: moving from 8 to 12 teams
Conference USA: moving from 12 to 13, would be 14 but Southern Miss isn't participating
Horizon: moving from 9 to 10, eliminated byes for 3/4 seeds
MAC: eliminated double bye system, now doing a standard 12 team setup
Mountain West: moving from 10 to 11, someone was probably inelgible last year, I don't remember
Summit: still unclear if they will just do a standard 8 team or add a 9th team since Omaha is elgible this year

Other than that, there could still be changes based on whether inelgible teams are allowed to participate in various conferences, generally they are allowed to in the smaller conferences. SMU, Missouri, Pacific, and Southern Miss definitely won't though...

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ei2EFlk5AlrcBJ1I2Melxav-bIuOikJgUUubZQpW5EA/edit?usp=sharing

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think we can officially say that Iowa is on a roll now. I think they'll drop a few more down the stretch (I think Purdue will get their revenge on us, and Maryland will probably smoke us, along with one or two dumb losses to like, Wisconsin or Indiana or OSU or someone), but they're playing some drat good basketball right now, and should be knocking on the door of the top ten tomorrow.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Yoshifan823 posted:

I think we can officially say that Iowa is on a roll now. I think they'll drop a few more down the stretch (I think Purdue will get their revenge on us, and Maryland will probably smoke us, along with one or two dumb losses to like, Wisconsin or Indiana or OSU or someone), but they're playing some drat good basketball right now, and should be knocking on the door of the top ten tomorrow.

I mean we played awful for long stretches of this one against a good Michigan team and still won by double digits. And went on a huge run with most of the starting lineup on the bench, including Uthoff. I'm sure they'll have another off night or two but if someone is playing better right now I want to see it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MourningView posted:

I mean we played awful for long stretches of this one against a good Michigan team and still won by double digits. And went on a huge run with most of the starting lineup on the bench, including Uthoff. I'm sure they'll have another off night or two but if someone is playing better right now I want to see it.

Let's do a Final Four For This Week with Iowa, SMU, Clemson, and Oklahoma.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

I mean - I'd temper your expectations a bit on the Michigan win. Kenpom projected an 11 point win.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Well yeah, but he also has Iowa at #4 in the country, so they did exactly what the #4 team should do.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
I wish we would have had Caris but I don't know if it would have made a difference. Iowa is loving good, very impressed by them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

Well yeah, but he also has Iowa at #4 in the country, so they did exactly what the #4 team should do.

Yeah exactly, living up to a projection system that has them as one of the best teams in the county is a good thing

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

why is iowa suddenly good at everything, what the gently caress is this dumb world

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Virginia gonna lose again because why not.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

why is iowa suddenly good at everything, what the gently caress is this dumb world

HGH in the corn

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
ACC Standings:
UNC
Clemson
Pitt
Virginia Tech

Just like we all predicted.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Beilein has to cut out some of his rotations. In the past he's gone with a really short bench and I think he's trying to avoid that after the injuries that plagued the team the last couple of years, but you can't put Andrew Dakich on the court @ Iowa. That's just insane. He's a walkon who can't shoot or defend, I believe Iowa's last game winning run came the minute he entered the game. They also put Ricky Doyle in which kicked off the first Iowa run in the 1st half.

Even with Levert out Michigan can play:

Walton Jr, Rahkhman, Irvin, Robinson, Donnal, Dawkins, Wagner, Wilson and Doyle/Kam Chatman if you insist. That's 10 scholarship players, and you're giving important minutes to Dakich? I don't get it.

Oh well, you can't be too unhappy playing a fairly tight game with one of the better teams in the country on the road. Especially with your best player injured, but still weird. Michigan actually had a really good offensive game despite that, but defensively they were horrendous. Iowa scored 1.34 PPP. I know they're a very good offensive team, but that's still terrible defensively.

Four fairly easy (comparatively) games upcoming should hopefully improve on some of those things.

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 18, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa first run happened in the first, like, minute and a half of the game though.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

Iowa first run happened in the first, like, minute and a half of the game though.

Yeah, I meant the one later in the first half after Michigan caught up the first time. Iowa just have a bunch of dudes with long arms who can really shoot, that's tough for any team to deal with, I doubt the outcome would have been any different no matter who Michigan played, but it's frustrating seeing a guy like Dakich playing important minutes vs Purdue, Maryland, and now Iowa. Given that LeVert's injury is dragging on forever, I don't want this to be a thing that keeps happening all season

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

OctoberBlues posted:

If you're a weirdo like me, you're starting to get excited for the conference tournaments. Like last year, I have a shared google doc file with all of the tournaments updated for this year. They are mostly the same, except moved up two days. The main changes seem to be:

Mountain West: moving from 10 to 11, someone was probably inelgible last year, I don't remember

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ei2EFlk5AlrcBJ1I2Melxav-bIuOikJgUUubZQpW5EA/edit?usp=sharing

San Jose State was ineligible last year. Also, this will be the last year with 11. Next year they're only having the top 8 in the conference be eligible for the tournament.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

Providence losing really put a nice little bow on this week setting fire to the Top 25. Let's recap the last week:

1 Kansas - Lost to West Virginia
2 Oklahoma - Did Not Lose
3 Maryland - Lost to Michigan
4 Michigan State - Lost to Iowa
5 North Carolina - Did Not Lose
6 Villanova - Did Not Lose
7 Xavier - Did Not Lose
8 Miami (FL) - Lost to Virginia and Clemson
9 Duke - Lost to Clemson and Notre Dame
10 SMU - Did Not Lose but is still ineligible for the postseason
11 West Virginia - Lost to Oklahoma
12 Providence - Lost to Seton Hall
13 Virginia - Did Not Lose but has lost two of their last three
14 Kentucky - Lost to Auburn
15 Texas A&M - Did Not Lose
16 Iowa - Did Not Lose
17 Iowa State - Lost to Texas
18 Arizona - Did Not Lose but has lost two of their last four
19 South Carolina - Lost to Alabama
20 Pittsburgh - Lost to Louisville
21 Louisville - Lost to Clemson
22 Baylor - Did Not Lose
23 Butler - Lost to Villanova
24 Purdue - Lost to Illinois
25 Gonzaga - Lost to BYU

So, we have 15 teams that lost a game in the last week, two more that have stumbled a lot recently, and the only unbeaten team cannot go to the NCAA Tournament. The moral of the story is, don't gently caress with Clemson, apparently.
At least I feel a little better about the weekend now.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I think this is the new AP top ten. The actual site hasn't updated yet, but the preview text on google lists this:

1. Oklahoma
2. UNC
3. Kansas
4. Villanova
5. Xavier
6. West Virginia
7. SMU
8. Virginia
9. Maryland
10. Iowa

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

I think this is the new AP top ten. The actual site hasn't updated yet, but the preview text on google lists this:

1. Oklahoma
2. UNC
3. Kansas
4. Villanova
5. Xavier
6. West Virginia
7. SMU
8. Virginia
9. Maryland
10. Iowa

Seems suspicious. I don't see how Virginia could move up 5 places after losing to FSU (even though we beat Miami)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It also doesn't show up in the preview text anymore. Although the other teams pretty much make sense. :iiam:

edit: looks like the top 6 were right and the rest are:

7 Maryland
8 SMU
9 Iowa
10 Texas A&M

Weird...

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 18, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ESPN College BBall @ESPNCBB
AP Poll:
1 OU
2 UNC
3 KU
4 NOVA
5 XU
6 WVU
7 MD
8 SMU
9 IOWA
10 TAMU
11 MSU
12 AZ
13 UVA
13 BAY
15 MIA
16 PROV
17 LOU
18 BUTL
19 ISU
20 DUKE

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ultimately basketball rankings don't really matter and they could very easily beat us and make me feel dumb for saying this, but I don't see how maryland's resume to this point is better than ours

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

Ultimately basketball rankings don't really matter and they could very easily beat us and make me feel dumb for saying this, but I don't see how maryland's resume to this point is better than ours

It's not. They haven't beaten anyone in the rankings.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Uh oh baylor top 15 string of dumb losses incoming

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Here's hoping ISU has it's poo poo together and wins today and Saturday, which would probably put them back in the top 10.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Now that I'm out of the orbit that is the KC Chiefs first playoff win in 22 years I'm coming back to see Duke losing to Notre Dame and UK losing to Auburn.

This year is bonkers.

edit: also I missed this what the gently caress is wrong with Cal's eye? He looks like he contracted syphilis.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 18, 2016

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Rutgers was down to 6 scholarship players tonight. They lost by 50 which is their biggest loss ever and Purdue's biggest conference win, they had 23 rebounds and gave up 26 offensive rebounds. A third string center who had not played in conference play ended up with a double double in just 14 minutes.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I will never get tired of watching Duke lose. That was a great game and Roberson can ball.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

PotatoJudge posted:

Rutgers was down to 6 scholarship players tonight. They lost by 50 which is their biggest loss ever and Purdue's biggest conference win, they had 23 rebounds and gave up 26 offensive rebounds. A third string center who had not played in conference play ended up with a double double in just 14 minutes.

Well, at least they're contributing in footba---

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Hey I haven't checked in on gophers basketboooohhhh they haven't won a single B1G game

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Fire Pitino

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Glad we didn't drop out of the Top 25 for daring to finally lose a game.

Also, Aggy is going to win the SEC.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

For some stupid reason, ISU is playing Texas A&M in the middle of conference play next Saturday. Nothing like having to go on the road to visit a top-10 team, sandwiched between KU and WVU.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Bird in a Blender posted:

For some stupid reason, ISU is playing Texas A&M in the middle of conference play next Saturday. Nothing like having to go on the road to visit a top-10 team, sandwiched between KU and WVU.

BIG XII/SEC challenge was moved to February

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well that explains it, still stupid though.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Counterpoint, it lets KU play UK with more season under their belt which I'm all for.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Playing four top ten teams over five games builds character. Or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I didn't really think Texas A&M was supposed to be top-10 good, but that may say more about how everyone keeps losing rather than how good ATM is.

• Locked thread