Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I see this topic come up now and again in a variety of threads, usually someone will post a youtube of someone's starwars, zelda, lotr, etc, theme wedding, and pretty much everyone will make fun of the wedding for how nerdy and uncouth it is. While I largely agree that it's a bit juvenile to have an 8 bit themed wedding or w/e, ultimately isn't it about what the people getting married want? Like if they get along fine at their jobs and want to goomba stomp their cake to pictures rather than smear it on each other's faces as the photo opp, shouldn't we just be happy that they're doing them?

On the other hand i was thinking about what I might want my future wedding to be like, and ultimately the answer is i really don't care and think I'd mostly be throwing the event so my parents and grandparents can see their bloodline chug on. Despite my mom having two sisters and my dad having two brothers, my brother and I are the only kids of this generation on our side of the family tree. I feel like when my ceremony rolls around, I mostly want to set things up for the family and it'd be kinda selfish to make it all about me/the spouse. Is that the chief complaint with these theme weddings, that the people getting married aren't being mature enough to acknowledge that the ceremony isn't just for them, or should the friends and family be the ones accepting that it's supposed to be the special moment for them and just deal the their warcrafts.

I can honestly see both sides to the argument I'm just kinda curious what other people think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
They are a bribe to god, so he hopefully wont gently caress up ur marriage. He does so most of the time anyway though.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Marriage is a big money making scam that usually ends up with a guy paying $800+ a month for the privilege of having been married.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I thought they were mostly for friends to massively sponge drinks and food.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

I see this topic come up now and again in a variety of threads, usually someone will post a youtube of someone's starwars, zelda, lotr, etc, theme wedding, and pretty much everyone will make fun of the wedding for how nerdy and uncouth it is. While I largely agree that it's a bit juvenile to have an 8 bit themed wedding or w/e, ultimately isn't it about what the people getting married want? Like if they get along fine at their jobs and want to goomba stomp their cake to pictures rather than smear it on each other's faces as the photo opp, shouldn't we just be happy that they're doing them?

On the other hand i was thinking about what I might want my future wedding to be like, and ultimately the answer is i really don't care and think I'd mostly be throwing the event so my parents and grandparents can see their bloodline chug on. Despite my mom having two sisters and my dad having two brothers, my brother and I are the only kids of this generation on our side of the family tree. I feel like when my ceremony rolls around, I mostly want to set things up for the family and it'd be kinda selfish to make it all about me/the spouse. Is that the chief complaint with these theme weddings, that the people getting married aren't being mature enough to acknowledge that the ceremony isn't just for them, or should the friends and family be the ones accepting that it's supposed to be the special moment for them and just deal the their warcrafts.

I can honestly see both sides to the argument I'm just kinda curious what other people think.

Dude, unless you are getting gay married it is for the bride. Yes, thanks to the continuing legacy of sexism etc etc. but there it is.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Saga posted:

Dude, unless you are getting gay married it is for the bride. Yes, thanks to the continuing legacy of sexism etc etc. but there it is.

This is true.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
big wedding.

big dancing.

lots of booze.

family and friends al laround.

church .

reception.

band.

IF YOU DONT HAVE THESE IN UR WEDDING IF UR JUST DOING SOME NEW AGE BULLSHIT U SUCK gently caress U

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
The bride's father should pay for it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress da Mods posted:

big wedding.

big dancing.

lots of booze.

church .

reception.

band.

IF YOU DONT HAVE THESE IN UR WEDDING IF UR JUST DOING SOME NEW AGE BULLSHIT U SUCK gently caress U

Yeah but no church is necessary just somewhere cool to do the ceremony (which better not be very long assholes nobody loving cares that much).

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
no, we're all bastards

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
wedding are the most expensive pretext for an after party where you get loving wasted since 9/11.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
if you have a formal wedding you are an rear end in a top hat imho, nobody likes sitting through that poo poo.

just get married however and have a party somewhere

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ArbitraryC posted:

On the other hand i was thinking about what I might want my future wedding to be like, and ultimately the answer is i really don't care and think I'd mostly be throwing the event so my parents and grandparents can see their bloodline chug on.

if i get married, i'm not having any kids so it's not even going to matter

i'd want my wedding to be a nice-sized no-dress-code-having rager. lots of booze and dancing, short vow exchange, no religion.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
No the OP is right, weddings are only for family members who want them to happen otherwise we could be playing video games I don't get it

exception: pikachu themed weddings, those make sense

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

This Couple Had A 'Legend Of Zelda'-Themed Wedding At Gamestop

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Kuato posted:

Marriage is a big money making scam that usually ends up with a guy paying $800+ a month for the privilege of having been married.

eloping is the way to go

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
It's a giant party for the couple getting married. One which, the cash value, could be better spent elsewhere. Instead, 50% of the time, it's a pre-divorce party.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I looked at it as hosting a big dinner party for family and friends and tried to organise it in such a way that they would have a good time. Having my hobbies or interests inform the proceedings seemed like an embarrassingly self centered thing to do.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
They're so your trashwife can get half your pension.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

I looked at it as hosting a big dinner party for family and friends and tried to organise it in such a way that they would have a good time. Having my hobbies or interests inform the proceedings seemed like an embarrassingly self centered thing to do.

same (planning one right now)

I don't want two entire families to watch my fiancee walk down the aisle to the battle theme from Pokemon Red/Blue as I pull the rings out of a novelty Poke Ball jewelry case and say "I choose you"

Idea, though: most of it is being paid for by my fiancee's dad who is an avid Dolphins fan; I've managed to convert my fiancee herself into a Pats fan (with a little help from Julian Edelman being very handsome). I could make the wedding be Patriots-themed. I'm sure her dad would see the humor in that.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i will never fight against someone wanting a mario wedding, i'll just call them a big idiot dork whose life is so desolate that they need to see a 1up mushroom to fully enjoy Their Special Day

Aug 4, 2010

gently caress da Mods posted:

big wedding.

big dancing.

lots of booze.

church .

reception.

band.

dude i can do lots of booze and big dancing without the rest of those.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Look, I don't care if you have a loving goomba wedding or ponies or whatever. There's two fundamental pieces of advice I have gleaned from years of watching all of my friends get married and getting married myself.

1) loving LEAVE. Don't be one of those goddamn couples who parties until 4am and then passes out on the couch of friend's at the after-after party. It's just kind of sad. You two are starting a new life together. Get the gently caress out of dodge with your bride (or groom) and leave all the friends family members to drink up the booze and clean up the mess. Everyone I know who has pulled this little stunt has gotten divorced. Just sayin.

2) RING THEM BELLS. Seriously. Bells are cool as hell. Find a chapel with one in the belfrey and have some robed clergy haul on that thing. In some of the more heated moments of my relationship the memory of the bells clanging has cooled my head, halted my tongue, and possibly saved my marriage.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
gently caress weddings court house boom done

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
It's your wedding, do what you want. If you whiny family members don't like it they can have their own.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i wish i was dead

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i often ask myself do i want a significant chunk of the downpayment for a house or do i want to pay for a wedding for my family

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Orkin Mang posted:

i wish i was dead

Same

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i know someone who took all the money they would have spent on a wedding and donated it to charity before doing the basic courthouse thing. on one hand that is kind of neat, but on the othe rit is incredibly insufferable.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just have an open bar. Literally nothing else matters. Nothing. Else. Matters.

Get a weed bar too if you're in one of those states.

Falun Bong Refugee fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 6, 2016

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
mostly for de beers consolidated mines.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
(.)(.)

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Saga posted:

Came to post this

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
It's for everyone but the betrothed, op

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

quote:

...it'd be kinda selfish to make it all about me/the spouse.

A wedding is supposed to be about the bride and groom. A wedding is a celebration of their love for each other. Have you ever been to a wedding?

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
If there aren't a bunch of dudes firing guns off in the air at your wedding idk but you're doing it wrong.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Saga posted:

yeah, seriously. she gets to be a pretty princess for once in her life

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ill Peripheral posted:

If there aren't a bunch of dudes firing guns off in the air at your wedding idk but you're doing it wrong.

dudes firing off guns everywhere at my gay wedding to my homo bridelad

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Lol I just read the OP, there's no justification for themed weddings, at least for people who can identify as an adult. Dress like a human for a day, lose weight dress good, real good, look good in front of a bunch of ppl jfc you'll be better for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my wedding had a divorce theme

• Locked thread