Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So

Once upon a time, a gimmick game was played where only the broken 5 COs were played. I didn't play in that one.

But we're doing it again (on the same stage, it turns out. There's really not that many good 5 or 6-player stages - I figured that if I found a really good 6-player stage we could throw in Nell too - in AWBW)!

Four out of five slots and therefore COs are taken, the only one up for grabs is Grit.

First person to PM me here or on IRC that they want to participate in this game as Grit gets the password.

Edit: Wait I forgot that you need an upgrade for PMs here. Okay, you can say it here in the topic too.

Edit again: Of course I find our fifth player on IRC ten minutes after this post, so for those who want to spectate, it's time to break some Goons.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Pro tip: don;t let Kanbei politics his way into having a fairly safe front. That's how I won the last one.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Keiya posted:

Pro tip: don;t let Kanbei politics his way into having a fairly safe front. That's how I won the last one.

Yeah, I screwed that up, certainly - AW2 Kanbei with funds is the scariest thing. Saying that, you were already in a scary position by the time we'd made the deal - I think making it was just an admission that I was happy to settle for second place :v:

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010
woop woop :siren: AWBW's back up, I want to try a many-vs-1 map now, this one seemed the best made:

Game Name: Black Hole Dogpile
Map: Impending Apocalypse: the True Final Assault
(get a load of that name)

Password: epic

Players: 5, everyone vs BH.

Banned COs: The usual 5. Also, see below.
Banned units: Stealths. Also, only BH can build piperunners and black bombs.

Link: http://awbw.amarriner.com/gamescurrent.php?maps_id=38859

Two things to explain:
1. There's a time limit based on the fighters/HQs in each corner. After 22ish turns the fighters run out of fuel and expose the HQs, causing BH to win 2 turns later. As such, Drake is banned for BH. Also, the non-BH team should avoid being shits and picking an all Jess/Eagle combination.
2. The neutral subs you might notice on the map disappear when the game starts. They're called 'ghost units' and they block the seaport they're on from producing any ships.

I took BM because I feel like making boats, maybe ~you~ can take BH if you feel like trying to be the final boss for four goons!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I have joined as Black Hole. Of course, the mysql errors returned just as I did.

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010
already, your techniques have proven too powerful for our allied forces

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Super CO Power: MySQL Crusher

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So is the server crashed or something? Can't login at all.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I'll toss my hat into the ring of death if that's alright.

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010
Alright, the game's full but I can't figure out how to start it while the SQL's making GBS threads itself so look forward to that tomorrow.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah I'm still getting an error message in the second Diplomacy game, sorry I haven't been able to take my turn.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Roonerspism posted:

Alright, the game's full but I can't figure out how to start it while the SQL's making GBS threads itself so look forward to that tomorrow.
I still want to change country before the game starts, so if you see the page is back on, hit me up on IRC first.

You wanted a final boss, you're getting a final boss.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Still can't login, I just get booted back to whatever page I was at before logging in with no visible change.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

I still want to change country before the game starts, so if you see the page is back on, hit me up on IRC first.

Well I'm right hosed, aren't I?

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010
AWBW's working, let's get those turns flowing again.

Get any CO/colour changes for my new game in soon because it's gonna start! later today! if AWBW can just hold on!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Down for maintenance.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Okay, AWBW is up again! And I've set the country I wanted in the bossfight game! Let's party!

Also, as it turns out, Junpei got booted from Goonbreak since the inactivity timer was still running during some of the downtime... so I've started a new one. Junpei, Slur, if you read this before you get on IRC, join it. Same COs you had before, preferably same starting position but 3/5 are taken now anyway so whatevs. Password's the same. I hit Set Draw on the previous one. Good thing, at least, that this happened while we still were on day one so we didn't really lose any actual progress.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Nrgh, I'm still struggling with the idea that troops can move after being unloaded from transports. I've made giant tactical errors as a result. I never remember that being a thing when I originally played Advance Wars.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Nrgh, I'm still struggling with the idea that troops can move after being unloaded from transports. I've made giant tactical errors as a result. I never remember that being a thing when I originally played Advance Wars.
What? They can't.

What you CAN do is load a unit onto a transport that hasn't moved, immediately unload it, and then still move the transport.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

KennyMan666 posted:

What? They can't.

What you CAN do is load a unit onto a transport that hasn't moved, immediately unload it, and then still move the transport.

Oh poo poo I was misreading the logs:

(02/17/2016 01:50am) A(n) Amber Blaze APC (19, 8) dropped a(n) Infantry at (19, 9)
(02/17/2016 01:50am) Amber Blaze moved a(n) Infantry from (19, 8) to (19, 9)

I got confused when I saw the infantry moving after being dropped. I didn't realise the game was just logging the same movement twice.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I god drat knew you were picking Javier, arg

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Oh boy, it's gonna be AW2 Sturm all over again. Minus the meteors, anyway.

Was undecided for a while, but went with Sasha because she's a useful team player in situations like this (especially going last before the boss) and hey, maybe that extra income'll make battleships more affordable... not that they'll be much use against Javier :v:.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Paul.Power posted:

Oh boy, it's gonna be AW2 Sturm all over again.

KennyMan666 posted:

:v:

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I god drat knew you were picking Javier, arg
Fun fact: This is literally the first time I ever play Javier.

But yeah, I saw those two towers, and figured it could do for an interesting one.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Want to know why there's never going to be a sequel to Advance Wars By Web?

'Cause you can't spell sequel without sql.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think you're actually supposed to pronounced SQL as "sequel". :downsrim: No worse than SCSI as "sexy" (people who aren't the guy behind it decided on "scuzzy").

E:VVV Oh, I wasn't trying to undermine the joke. Support it, if anything. :)

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 23, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

I think you're actually supposed to pronounced SQL as "sequel". :downsrim: No worse than SCSI as "sexy" (people who aren't the guy behind it decided on "scuzzy").

I always pronounced the letters individually, and heard people pronounce the letters individually.

Point of the joke still stands.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Site's back up (but for how long?)!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Paul.Power posted:

Site's back up (but for how long?)!
You had to jinx it, didn't you.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I don't know how to unload

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I don't know how to unload

click on the apc and then click on the man

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010
AWBW's been up for a decent while now, things are looking up! If you're part of one of the European Diplomats games and haven't been on in a while, now's the time to come back.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Hurt Train incoming this turn. 2 Tower Javier super power so we have to deal with 160/160 units for a turn.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

The new hosting hasn't had a single day of downtime to date. Sadly, it doesn't have replays either. If they did, I would I insist on using it for the LP.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
AWBW is back up. Take your turns people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

So for those of you who are starving for a fix of Advance Wars lately, I found a neat little game on the internet called Vantage Master Online. It's a tactics game which was released for Falcom for free in English in 2002. The translation, being done in-house, is kind of poor at points, but it nonetheless reminds me of Advance Wars in a lot of ways. The online services still work as well. Give it a shot if you're interested.

• Locked thread