Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Still is according to Google and Wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I always think of Abyss as a huge guy, but that's probably because 1) he faced a lot of vanilla midgets when I saw him first, and B) HE'S FAT!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
One of the only times I tried to watch TNA was a clip where they showed Abyss in a prison or something, I think it was some heel explaining Abyss's SHOCKING BACKSTORY because it was black and white quick cuts of Abyss in a prison yard screaming while the heel went "THIS IS WHERE YOU CAME FROM!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like how TNA couldn't remember if his last name was Park or Parks.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Hogan giving him the ring is honestly one of the funniest moments in wrestling history, Abyss' reactions are loving hysterical.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The best Abyss moment is when James Vandenburg/Mitchel/Sinister Minister started calling him Chris.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Abyss is just a little taller than Hulk Hogan, who is billed at 6'7" so are you saying that THE HULKSTER +1 is too little to face the Undertaker at Wrestlemania, blizzles? If Abyss had played his cards right, the streak could have ended back in 2006 or whatever and TNA would be at the top of the industry!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Joseph Park was the greatest character in the history of wrestling, until TNA decided to drag it out like an extra year because Aces and Eights hit.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I remember an ONO where Abyss was meant to face Judas Messias in what was apparently a rematch from an old feud. The video package had all sorts of violent imagery including a river of blood pissing out Abyss' mouth. The actual match was tame, short, and Judas Messias, supposedly a serious opponent for Abyss who the commentators said had stadiums full of people cheering for him in his own country, came out to no pop whatsoever and went down to almost no offense and only one finisher from Joseph Parks.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

I always think of Abyss as a huge guy, but that's probably because 1) he faced a lot of vanilla midgets when I saw him first, and B) HE'S FAT!

Yeah I remember thinking Abyss was huge and moved really well for his size in early to mid-2000s TNA and RoH. But then I look back and remember the tallest person he was facing regularly then was probably AJ Styles.

I mean its not like he's tiny, he's probably closer to 6'4 and he's just a larger dude all around so he looks taller than he is. Kind of the effect Lesnar pulls off in a different way

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Like the opposite of the optical illusin that makes Swagger look like a normal sized human.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Great White Hope posted:

Joseph Park was the greatest character in the history of wrestling, until TNA decided to drag it out like an extra year because Aces and Eights hit.

Joseph Park is, was, and forever will be a much better character than Abyss and I would much prefer him to have stuck around forever.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/TherealAbyss/status/695356961391378432

Still the stupidest weapon in all of wrestling.

Including weed whackers.

remember when Bram stole janice and cut a promo the next week, alluding to having hosed it?
:britain:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

super macho dude posted:

remember when Bram stole janice and cut a promo the next week, alluding to having hosed it?
:britain:

No, thankfully

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm still confused why they thought Aces&8s had enough steam to run for a year.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

Frankly I'm surprised they didn't end up outlasting the actual NWO

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesop Poprock posted:

Frankly I'm surprised they didn't end up outlasting the actual NWO

At least the nWo drew huge money, I can barely remember Aces and Eights.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Right, but here's my counter argument: TNA

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Chromatic posted:

late-stage TNA

I love this descriptor. It's like a fatal disease.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

No specifics on what Davey's knee injury is, but it's "worse than hoped" and he's out for "a while" :rip:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Awesome Kong got the boot.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Holy poo poo they actually did the right thing for once :stare:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

coconono posted:

Bischoff must have loved it. The NWO but with bikers? If you could only include white guy karate and Ayn Rand quotes he'd still be in TNA today.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/RebySky/status/695716540650491905

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Holy poo poo they actually did the right thing for once :stare:

For now, yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if she got rehired in a few months.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Coming soon, The Awesome Gnok!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JohnGaburick/status/695710405130391552

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Chris James 2 posted:

No specifics on what Davey's knee injury is, but it's "worse than hoped" and he's out for "a while" :rip:

How many times have they vacated the tag straps now?

E: Actually I guess they might not be the current champs but it's a reasonable assumption

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

It's gone. What was it?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SylvainMustach posted:

It's gone. What was it?

She tweeted an image of her laughing, followed by an image of her laughing on the ring mat. The tweet came minutes after they officially released Kong

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Blasmeister posted:

How many times have they vacated the tag straps now?

E: Actually I guess they might not be the current champs but it's a reasonable assumption

0) TNA stripped the Shane Twins (aka The Johnsons, aka The Gymini) in order to set up their own tag team tournament.
1) AJ Styles and Jerry Lynn were stripped of the titles because of a double pin.
2) Triple X were stripped of the titles after another double pin.
3) Abyss was stripped of the titles after winning a match for sole control of the tag titles against his Feuding Partner AJ Styles and then never defended them.
4) The Naturals were stripped after a controversial finish of a match, but won them back a week later.
4.1) Technically the Dudleys were stripped of the NWA belts but gifted the TNA belts on a webshow so I don't know if that counts.
4.2) The Dudleys lost the belts to Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe, but Joe claimed to have sole ownership of the belt.
4.3) Kurt Angle beat Samoa Joe to become TNA, X-Division, and dual-tag team champion.
4.4) Angle held a fatal four-way for the honor of being his tag team partner, a match won by Sting.
4.5) Sting and Angle lost to Ron Killings and Pacman Jones, despite the fact that Pacman was forbidden to do anything physical.
4.6) Consequences Creed had to fill in for Pacman after he left the company.
5) Eric Young wouldn't admit to Jim Cornette that he was "Super Eric" so he was forced to vacate the tag belts.
6a) Hernandez gets injured so Matt Morgan declares himself a solo tag team champion, loses to Hall and Nash.
6b) Hall no-shows, so the belt is defended by Nash and Young.
7) Hall and Nash (and Young) are stripped of the titles because Hall officially leaves the company.

That brings you up to 2015:
8) Eddie Edwards gets injured and the Wolves vacate the belts.
9) The Hardys win the belts, Jeff breaks his leg, the Hardys vacate the belts

The Wolves dropped the belts/will drop the belts to Beer Money last week/in a month or so, so they won't need to vacate the belts this time at least!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Ayn Rand quotes

:psyduck:

Was there a point in WCW/TNA where Bischoff was working an Atlas Shrugged gimmick?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

How are the people behind LOLTNA's wiki not alcoholics, I can't imagine having to regularly keep up with all this and pulling it off sober

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Angular Landbury posted:

Joseph Park is, was, and forever will be a much better character than Abyss and I would much prefer him to have stuck around forever.

I meant more that they ended up effectively putting him in stone until they had time to finish the OMG JOSEPH PARK IS ABYSS point, rather than having the reveal about is he/isn't he Abyss and then continuing to either have 'Abyss is actually not an idiot' be a part of the character or going full 'Yeah, Abyss really does have a lawyer brother'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

RZApublican posted:

Was there a point in WCW/TNA where Bischoff was working an Atlas Shrugged gimmick?

He's a hard right winger.

• Locked thread