Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Pics took far more :effort: than this post did

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 29, 2016

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
We must also recognise 2015 Champ Car World Series Champion Ricardo Zonta.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

ellspurs posted:

Also forgotten is the fact that Justin Wilson finished 3rd in the Champ Car Championship :rip:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

KingShibby posted:

Also forgotten is the fact that Justin Wilson finished 3rd in the Champ Car Championship :rip:

Figures his last race he was out by contact.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BMB5150 posted:

Figures his last race he was out by contact.

he was in quite a hole beforehand

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Don't get ahead of yourselves.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Shall we start with predictions? I predict Road America will be the best race and that Sage Karam won't have a consistent career in IndyCar again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's a funny way of spelling Phoenix.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I know I talk about my pops too much, but he just posted somethin cool on facebook:

quote:

Here is an example of big time racing on a ridiculously tight budget. This is a photo of a my little two car garage in Rosamond CA in 1983. What you see in the picture is a 1982 March Indy car with a steel beam bolted to the back. we were testing the torsional rigidity of the car.

I made a deal with the car's owner, Doug Schultz, to run the car in a few CART races that year. My crew included two of my friends who were veteran race car mechanics like myself, Ashley Page and Marshall Smith. In my garage at my little tract home I had a TIG Welder, a parts washer, a drill press, a hydraulic press, a floor jack and hand tools. 2 weeks after this photo was shot we finished 6th at the CART race at Riverside with driver Tom Klauser.

I'm talking about racing with the big boys here, Penske, Patrick, Bignotti, Kraco, Newman Haas. I can't believe we did that!

Heres another shot of the car, the yeller one:

Perty dope.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That's very cool. I'm going to watch that race now. Also colour matched wheels are 80s as hell (and the better for it).

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's another world isn't it?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

I know I talk about my pops too much, but he just posted somethin cool on facebook:

Heres another shot of the car, the yeller one:

Perty dope.

That's awesome, I wish I had the money to buy this Indy car. But it's pretty obvious that Andretti is in financial trouble if they have to auction off race cars to supplement the budget...

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Cygni posted:

:allears: please never stop sharing cool stuff from your dad's Indycar days.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ellspurs posted:

it tickles me to no end that he has invented a fake racing series in which he occasionally does not win. and also that he has never let his wife win.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're assuming that, in the long line of fantasies that exists in the head of Mark Plourde, the fact that he is married is more real than the fact that he is a five-time CCWS champion.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
KV is a one car team for 2016.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're assuming that, in the long line of fantasies that exists in the head of Mark Plourde, the fact that he is married is more real than the fact that he is a five-time CCWS champion.

you just blew my mind

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Schrodinger's Wife

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Now I imagine some dumb craigslist ad long ago asking a chick to take a picture in an old ccws firesuit.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'd like to imagine someone who has paid literally no attention to open wheel racing in the last ten years deciding to get back into the sport, looking to get up to speed on the doings of ChampCar, and going to the site to be blown away at Mark Plourde and his success...only to realize it's the ultimate fanfic of a massive nerd who has managed to, at least partly, maintain a somewhat convincing-looking CCWS site long after the series actually folded into IndyCar. And feel dumb.

The red flag might be SiPag's participation in both series.

e- Wait a second.

quote:

© Copyright 2016 Champ Car World Series, LLC. All rights reserved

Does...does he own the trademark for CCWS (if any still exists)?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 9, 2016

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4803:ri0ddk.2.2

Nope. It's been dead since 2013.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

At this point he's updating numbers to update numbers. Notice the Speed channel logo that should be updated a long time ago. As a morbid experiment get some new person into this and trick them thinking Mark Plourde is a legendary driver and see what happens by March.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

Now I imagine some dumb craigslist ad long ago asking a chick to take a picture in an old ccws firesuit.

"cannot be unrealistically attractive"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

To be honest I think such a thing would be a fun hobby to do if you knew not to take it too seriously and were more unrealistic about it.

I'd have made my point of divergence 1995, and then just continued to create some mega-version of CART featuring all the venues they had from 1995 until 2003. Still trying to find ways to update my laptop to run RFactor for that very reason

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

be nice wicka posted:

"cannot be unrealistically attractive"

It's craiglist, that comes for free.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
FYI, tix to Formula E at Long Beach aren't free this year, but they're still pretty cheap. $25 for GA and $35 for GA + Pit Lane walk. Race day is April 2.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/january/tickets-on-sale-for-long-beach-eprix.aspx

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That's cheaper than an Eastern States day pass, good poo poo.

I'm no Formula E fan but I'll admit it seems way more legit than I figured they'd be by now. Good on them.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Here you go fuzzy.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/125087-miller-what-i-d-do-as-the-powerball-winner

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If I was eligible to win the U.S. powerball I'd build a time machine and go back to the early 90s to kill Tony George.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Robin Miller posted:

IMS catering would be done by the Mug 'N Bun.

I fully endorse this man's plan.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

if i won the powerball, i would be all like 'nicenice' and invest it conservatively and not in racing

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'd probably start a career as a gentleman driver in sports cars. That or just get a bitching iRacing setup.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
I'd enter a car into the Champ Car World Series and beat that punk rear end Mark Plourde.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

ellspurs posted:

I'd enter a car into the Champ Car World Series and beat that punk rear end Mark Plourde.

I'd restart the ChampCar World Series and fund a team for Mark and Sheri Plourde.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

if i won the powerball, i would be all like 'nicenice' and invest it conservatively and not in racing

that's what i'd do with the money leftover after tom crean's buyout

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Helicon One posted:

I'd restart the ChampCar World Series and fund a team for Mark and Sheri Plourde.

Somebody's still got a garage full of DP-01s.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Helicon One posted:

Sabotage the whole field except for Sheri Plourde in the first race, let her win, then disband the series.

The fact that he doesn't even let her win his imaginary racing series that exists only in his head is... telling.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

The fact that he doesn't even let her win his imaginary racing series that exists only in his head is... telling.

well he's got to keep things realistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Cygni posted:

Sabotage the whole field except for Sheri Plourde in the first race, let her win, then disband the series.

Maybe even he believes that Danica Patrick must be recognized as the world's greatest female driver and that letting Sheri usurp that title might be bad for business.

• Locked thread