Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
ear

Because every time I tried to get through a magazine, I would come across stories that I didn't enjoy or that I actively hated or that offended me so much I rage-quit the issue. Go through enough of that, and you start to resist the idea of reading at all.

Then I thought: What if I only read stories by a certain type of author? Instead of reading everything, I would only look at stories by women or people of color or LGBT writers. Essentially: no straight, cis, white males.

Cutting that one demographic out of my reading list greatly improved my enjoyment of reading short stories. That's not to say I didn't come across bad stories or offensive stuff in stories or other things that turned me off. I did. But I came across this stuff far less than I did previously.

http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/reading-challenge-stop-reading-white-straight-cis-male-authors-for-one-year

So how about it goons? Are you up for the challenge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

this may be a problem considering i have a Brit Lit course this semester

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I rarely care about the author at all. If a story's good, its good.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
suck my balls

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

following the advice of the op, i didn't read the op

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Well it's not like the type of people who would actually do this are going to get any dumber

Aug 4, 2010

i cant think of one female author

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

www posted:

i cant think of one female author
rachel ray

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I didn't read anything not found on the internet for the last year, I succeeded already!

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
op thanks for a brave post

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Oh, get hosed.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
how much would this bitch be literally shaking if someone told her to only read white straight cis male authors for one year

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Eat poo poo Victor Hugo

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

do you think the author of that piece considers themselves close-minded or open-minded?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Stephen King's still cool though, right?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's extremely good that leftists now campaign for total societal segregation on grounds of race and sexuality

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I like the idea of improving your life by completely excluding a group based on skin color, gender, and/or sexual orientation

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i will improve my life by not reading your posts

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I never read cis authors. Ever.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

i challenge you to stop reading tumblr

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

symbolic posted:

rachel ray

I had to put my sandwich down to give this a good laugh. Nice one!

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Maoist Pussy posted:

I never read cis authors. Ever.

i only read them in trans-lation!!! lmbo

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Someone please repost the first picture in that article because I'm phone posting at work but everyone should see this

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Aralan posted:

Someone please repost the first picture in that article because I'm phone posting at work but everyone should see this

haha just noticed the dr. who shirt ofc

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Like, I'm just gonna through the absurd qualifier "cis" in here, since nobody will ever actually have to try to only read cross-dressing authors

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
only the gays could write such wonderful stories there are no straight authors

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Lucky Guy posted:

following the advice of the op, i didn't read the op

I'm actually an inuit female. Check your privilege.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Compromise: I'll read some oscar wilde.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Gobblecoque posted:

Quick, into the Retardis!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

:siren: don't read this post :siren:

Hi guys

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
but how many of those white, straight, cis male authors were closeted gay, transgender or biracial because it was illegal to be those things in the past and/or came with with severe social repercussions. poo poo, even women authors used male pen names in the past.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If you're the kind of person that wears TARDIS shirts and reads Neil Gaiman you're never gonna be relevant in the literary world so feel free to do whatever reading challenges you want.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Gobblecoque posted:

Dr. Who loving cares

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i genuinely care about equality with gays and womens rights but im not going to pretend that in my entire collection of books there is a single female author because it just wouldn't be true

i lied, sigrid undset is right between 40 cis males and on the other side 40 cis males

but those bloggers would get mad that she was straight and white i guess

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I haven't read a book in over a year. Where's MY parade?

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Simstim posted:

but how many of those white, straight, cis male authors were closeted gay, transgender or biracial because it was illegal to be those things in the past and/or came with with severe social repercussions. poo poo, even women authors used male pen names in the past.

Jokes on her, I'll just read this George Eliot novel......UHWHAAAAAAAAAT?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

list of gay white male writers:

somerset maugham
oscar wilde
eveyln waugh
w.h. auden
noel coward
e.m. forster
d.h. lawrence
almost every other important oxbridge english (as in the country not the language) author

all war is class war

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Call me Cismale*

*Ishmael is actually gay as hell

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I don't think this works, anyway. I have quite a lot of black/female authors in my collection and I doubt anyone from xojane would accuse me of being a nice person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

ArmZ posted:

list of gay white male writers:

somerset maugham
oscar wilde
eveyln waugh
w.h. auden
noel coward
e.m. forster
d.h. lawrence
almost every other important oxbridge english (as in the country not the language) authors

Tom Clancy

• Locked thread