Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Identity politics are bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
I challenge you to stop breathing for a year.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Just checked my kindle library, looks like everyone in there is definitely a guy, and most likely white. No indications as to whether they like to touch dicks though. Welp, this pattern hasn't really steered me wrong, I think I'll stick with it

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

lol I clicked on that article for the first time and she had to take pictures of herself with a bunch of books where she's like 80% of the frame instead of just making a list of books you should read. I wonder if she's not actually doing this to improve herself, but to get attention and stroke her own ego???

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I do read a lot of sci fi, so there's a pretty good chance some of the authors in my library are high functioning autists does that count in SJW politics?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gobblecoque posted:

haha just noticed the dr. who shirt ofc

Is she going to keep watching the show about the powerful white man who whisks pretty young women off so they can 1) listen to him explain everything and 2) watch him save the day and 3) fall in love with him all the drat time? The one where most of the scripts are written by white men?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
the author is dead OP

PoCs killed them

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
she looks like she could stop eating food instead of stop reading books lol

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

How about not?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

she looks like she could stop eating food instead of stop reading books lol

nice ninja edit, I saw that thing about how she should stop eating food cooked by straight white dudes

Honestly it would be a good idea if it meant she ate home-cooked meals, those are generally healthier than restaurant/processed meals :unsmith:

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Aralan posted:

I do read a lot of sci fi, so there's a pretty good chance some of the authors in my library are high functioning autists does that count in SJW politics?

what about mary shelly? I think she started the 'science gone horribly wrong' subgenre with frankenstein and apocalyptic fiction subgenre with the last man

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Simstim posted:

but how many of those white, straight, cis male authors were closeted gay, transgender or biracial because it was illegal to be those things in the past and/or came with with severe social repercussions. poo poo, even women authors used male pen names in the past.

The other side of this, of course, is trying to claim that every great author was secretly gay/ a woman

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Epic QQ in this thread

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Mange Mite posted:

The other side of this, of course, is trying to claim that every great author was secretly gay/ a woman

yeah, that would be another extreme view

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I bet a lot of authors were secretly gay though I mean what there's just Gore Vidal, Jack Kerouac and Oscar Wilde as the gay authors? Who's gonna believe that's the end of it lol

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
A lot of great authors do seem to have been gay. Which makes sense, because being existentially miserable seems to be a prerequisite for great authorship.

Maoist Pussy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 7, 2016

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I read a lot of sci fi so that's just not going to happen. I meAn it's already hard enough finding writers that aren't pedophiles or active rapists

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
The only good authors are either gay, Jewish, or reactionary European alcoholics.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Aw, that's so sad. When did Penn Gillette put all that weight back on?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
No, OP, I don't self-loathe myself to the extent you do.

Good writing is good writing, it has nothing to do with skin color or sexual identity, sorry.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Beef Turret posted:

The only good authors are either gay, Jewish, or reactionary European alcoholics.

Huh. That's... yeah.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Gobblecoque posted:

fat and ugly. she really knows how to write for her demographic

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Neil Gaiman = Kneel, Gay Man

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
challenge ignored

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Huey's a little to cis-sounding for me.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

lol I clicked on that article for the first time and she had to take pictures of herself with a bunch of books where she's like 80% of the frame instead of just making a list of books you should read. I wonder if she's not actually doing this to improve herself, but to get attention and stroke her own ego???

I don't think it's possible for her to take a photo where she's not 80% of the frame.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Gobblecoque posted:

American Gods is a good book that I legitimately enjoyed. Her loss.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I read a lot of sci fi so that's just not going to happen. I meAn it's already hard enough finding writers that aren't pedophiles or active rapists

Aralan posted:

Anne rice! how can you read a lot of scifi and not read ann rice?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I Challenge You to Stop Making Dumb, Pointless, Social Justice Threads for One Year

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
loving esjay doubleyous :qq:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

If you're the kind of person that wears TARDIS shirts and reads Neil Gaiman you're never gonna be relevant in the literary world so feel free to do whatever reading challenges you want.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
i read sylvia plath and anais nin already

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Isnt neil like a hardcore weenie now

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I like her lipstick choice it makes her look dead

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Lucky Guy posted:

following the advice of the op, i didn't read the op

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Stop paying attention to narcissistic idiot insane people.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

authors are really weird, it doesn't matter if you're straight or gay or what, there's gonna be something in one of your books that is weird and offputting

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i hope the op dies

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

symbolic posted:

this may be a problem considering i have a Brit Lit course this semester

All Wilde, all the time.

Though all good authors are thoroughly broken human beings who self medicate to an early grave.

Turtle Sandbox fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

City of Tampa posted:

Neil Gaiman = Kneel, Gay Man

Isn't he married to a crazy attention whore from a scientologist family?

• Locked thread