Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
truly, amanda palmer is the yoko ono of this generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Neil Gaiman always sucked. He's a middlebrow hack and he pisses me the heck off

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

haha just noticed the dr. who shirt ofc

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

you're late

this is an unofficial warning but the next one is going on your record

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

shakespeare had an affair with a black lady does he count?

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's almost like we raised a generation of people that never had to think critically so that part of their brain is so foreign to access (like seeing something from someone elses point of view) it mentally fatigues them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I challenge Fatty McFemmy Fat to stop eating fatty foods for a year.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
honestly haven't read anything besides text books since high school

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
LOL, you'd only be reading cook books, Cosmo tests and tumblr rants

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Cantaloupe posted:

Books are fun and cool, you should come to the only thread in the book barn where people actually discuss them and ask for recommendations.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lucky Guy posted:

following the advice of the op, i didn't read the op

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

you're late

this is an unofficial warning but the next one is going on your record

sorry teach! i woulda been on time but i slipped on a fedora runnin in here and knocked down a bunch of neckbeards like they was bowling pins. cheeto dust flew everywhere!!

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I have it on good authority that this woman reads tumblr mobile on her phone and nods along while she's eating cake on the toilet

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

While I think this lady is dumb as poo poo for not reading authors based on their gender and race, at least she and I can agree that reading Neil Gaiman is a poo poo idea!

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Cantaloupe posted:

this is what happens when you major in something useful

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
kinda like when hitler wanted people to stop reading books by white cis male jews

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Books are good to read but my favorite books are by white men.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I took a multicultural lit class that focused primarily on books written by minority women (with some minority men thrown in) and it was pretty good. I think people should consume more multicultural lit because it helps you view things from perspectives other than your own. That said i think doing it to the exclusion of lit written by the wrong ethnicity and gender is dumb and counterproductive and the lady in the op's approach seems to have taken a more antagonistic and self serving holier than thou kinda angle that i think ultimately hurts what could otherwise be a reasonable suggestion.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
As an open minded person, I find tremendous value in the viewpoints and experiences of others and cherish the opportunity to broaden my worldview. So I'm willing to overlook the author's questionable identity politics in the interest of finding challenging new reading material. Let's see what groundbreaking new literature is being put out to challenge the dead white guy canon!

*entire list of recommendations is schlock sci-fi and fantasy*

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
tbh reading is pretty gay to begin with

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can't believe this sort of racism is encouraged and promoted.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if this chick read something like Blood Meridian, would she find it problematic?

even though its kinda the point

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Volume posted:

Can't believe this sort of racism is encouraged and promoted.

You can't be racist to white people since they were racist first

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Will Greg White be taking the challenge?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You guys discussing to kill a mockingbird? Eww you know it was written by a black right?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

katlington posted:

Anne rice! how can you read a lot of scifi and not read ann rice?

Why are you people giving me recommendations I'm not trying to do this stupid challenge I just want to know if my cismale autist authors count as minorities

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
she's just trying to bring more users over from reddit to tumblr

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i stopped readiung this article practically before i even started

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

katlington posted:

Did you mean to type "Ursula K. Le Guin" and then slip, the gently caress's going on here?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Nanomashoes posted:

Call me Cismale

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Easily done, I don't read.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

katlington posted:

Has she written a book that isn't about her dead daughter that I'm not aware of?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I have it on good authority that this woman reads tumblr mobile on her phone and nods along while she's eating cake on the toilet

Bout time for anoyher lena dunham thread

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Isnt anne rice the vampire books lady?

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i like Neil Gaiman, his books are fun trash and there's no reason not to read them unless you are trying to impress smart people or something. The people that take him super seriously are always gross though

amanda Palmer is just a generic smelly hippie chick that got internet famous somehow, she should be selling bongs at a head shop or waitressing at some vegan cafe. there's like a whole category of chicks that are pretty much amanda palmer except not famous. i don;t see why people get so mad about her. she's obnoxious as gently caress but in a basically harmless way. amanda palmer is suburbia

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Solution , don't read.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The worst thing about these arguments is that you can tell both sides are made up of people who don't even know Left Hand of Darkness exists.

Left Hand of Darkness is widely acknowledged as one of the best sci-fi (or really genre fiction in general) books of all time. It's in that Western Canon list, too, and books about spaceships or elves almost never make it in. ""Le Guin, more than Tolkien, has raised fantasy into high literature, for our time" - Harold Bloom

It was written in 1969, by a woman, and is about a black man visiting a planet of ambisexual genderfluid aromantics. Yeah, women can write sci-fi, yeah, you can write sci-fi about "that stuff", yeah, it was done before, and no, you don't need a list full of third-tier pulp writing nobodies to find women, or gay people, or people of color who are superior to Neil Gaiman.

So, yeah, you all suck. A plague a' both your houses. I'm gonna go read a thing about spaceship elves now.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

truly, amanda palmer is the yoko ono of this generation

this is my posting face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you know neil gaiman coulda bagged some nerdy dime but put a baby in amanda plamer what the gently caress

• Locked thread