Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i've got a spraypaint stencil i use on the back of my car everytime i have a good night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

nomadologique posted:

while i don't necessarily agree w this person's personal literary program, i don't think she's excluding these authors as some kind of attack against them but because she's exhausted with encountering (probably unconscious, unquestioned) assumptions and values that she's had enough of

aka she's sick of hearing the same sad story from the same dumb dorks and wants to hear a sad story that sounds more like hers, which is something most people can empathize with; it's just that some people (the same sad dorks) have monopolized the conversation for the entirety of human history, so they're not lacking a sad story that sounds like theirs because it is the dominant story of every single literary culture up to today

swap a little gay sex here and there, which is not uncommon in a variety of cultures, although it's never been strictly "allowed" in the way it is now (the buttfucker was usually ok, but the buttfucked was as good as a woman); and remember that only white people have ever been white, but dominant men have acted identically in every context; and you can imagine how encountering this literature over and over again throughout ~20 years of school/indoctrination causes you to finally draw a line in the sand, at least to see what it would be like to have noise-cancelling headphones for a particular and ubiquitous noise

Hahaha, "indoctrination", the writers who gave us the canon are a bunch of "dumb dorks", you're a crazy person and I'm glad we've finally hit peak anti-intellectualism to justify why we refuse to read anything more difficult than Jack Reacher

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Hey, ever wanted to turn your inability to grasp anything more complex than Harry Potter into a moral imperative? Well have I got just the movement for you

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

E1M1 posted:

Hey, ever wanted to turn your inability to grasp anything more complex than Harry Potter into a moral imperative? Well have I got just the movement for you

i could do whatthe OP article suggests just by switching from Warhammer 40k novels to Resident Evil novels.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

E1M1 posted:

Hahaha, "indoctrination", the writers who gave us the canon are a bunch of "dumb dorks", you're a crazy person and I'm glad we've finally hit peak anti-intellectualism to justify why we refuse to read anything more difficult than Jack Reacher

E1M1 posted:

same, this also makes me really angry

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
"poc can write stories just as well as white men" - a person whose barometers for good storytelling are bioware rpgs, childrens' cartoons, and the marvel cinematic universe

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

No I didn't read that article but I also read authors from a variety of sexes, races, and ages. Your posting makes you sound like a poo poo, though! :thumbsup:
Lol, congrats on being a well read moron if you are incapable of seeing how your argument completely falls apart when you apply even the the most casual of analysis of the article, which was the point of the whole discussion

a retard posted:

"poc can write stories just as well as white men" - a person whose barometers for good storytelling are bioware rpgs, childrens' cartoons, and the marvel cinematic universe
How the gently caress do you even know if the writing is good if most of the poo poo sold around is the same fuckers, day in day out

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i can tell when a black man has written my sci-fi novel

i just know

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Deceitful Penguin posted:

How the gently caress do you even know if the writing is good if most of the poo poo sold around is the same fuckers, day in day out

there are a shitload of books and articles that talk about the mechanics of good writing but you probably think they're poo poo because they're probably written by white people

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

"I refuse to read things that don't align with my personal politics, and in some cases think they should be censored outright" - someone who would've derided this behavior in conservatives a decade ago but now is a sizable portion of the left, god help us

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

a retard posted:

there are a shitload of books and articles that talk about the mechanics of good writing but you probably think they're poo poo because they're probably written by white people
loving lol if you project a bit harder then I think that you can have a good part of the sky covered with this lovely post

do you even grasp the basic jist of her criticism in a remotely impartial way or is this just mutual jerkoff shitposting

E1M1 posted:

"I refuse to read things that don't align with my personal politics, and in some cases think they should be censored outright" - someone who would've derided this behavior in conservatives a decade ago but now is a sizable portion of the left, god help us
Are people now just arrived at the stage of the thread where they decry unrelated tumblr bullshit or had no-one wanted to bother to explain using small words

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Professor Shark posted:

No I didn't read that article but I also read authors from a variety of sexes, races, and ages. Your posting makes you sound like a poo poo, though! :thumbsup:

A variety of sexes? If you haven't read a book by a hemaphrodite, you're exaggerating.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

really my problem is she didn't list the best scifi fiction novel since it was written by a woman and all.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

is your avatar a pic of you, lol nice bowlcut

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

loving lol if you project a bit harder then I think that you can have a good part of the sky covered with this lovely post

do you even grasp the basic jist of her criticism in a remotely impartial way or is this just mutual jerkoff shitposting

of course i do but it's pretty obvious that even with the premise she still doesn't step out of her comfort zone since pretty much every book on that list is either sci-fi or fantasy or a white guy she put in by mistake because his name sounds foreign

also i looked at a few of those books on amazon and the plots don't exactly seem like they require a marginalized voice to tell properly, i mean look at this

Warchild, one of the books she mentions posted:

When Jos' parents are killed in an attack on their trading ship, the boy is kidnapped by the attackers and then escapes - only to fall into the alien hands of humanity's greatest enemies. He is soon coerced into becoming a spy against the human race.

also if you're trying to imply that marginalized voices are ignored in literature it doesn't exactly help your case when you put books by hugo and nobel winners on your list

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I'm not going to do that OP, because they are generally the best authors.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
The Turner Diaries is the only book anyone needs to read.
I'm prepared for the day of the rope, are you?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i feel like i should read the turner diaries at some point, just to make sure i have the full picture.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

a retard posted:

of course i do but it's pretty obvious that even with the premise she still doesn't step out of her comfort zone since pretty much every book on that list is either sci-fi or fantasy or a white guy she put in by mistake because his name sounds foreign

also i looked at a few of those books on amazon and the plots don't exactly seem like they require a marginalized voice to tell properly, i mean look at this

also if you're trying to imply that marginalized voices are ignored in literature it doesn't exactly help your case when you put books by hugo and nobel winners on your list
You aren't making a clear distinction between, the on one hand rather capable argument that the author is a huge nerd and loser and on the other, that the idea she espouses is loving retarded.

like, look at huge issues we have just getting white women into the mainstream (so yea, not scifi&fantasy poo poo) and then realize that for all the poo poo they publish, they are the second most notable group after honkey men (in a country like mine where pretty much errybody white its really sad to look at the poo poo translated and its literally all white dudes, except if a lady wrote a crime novel or something)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

What if I just read some Aaron Sorkin scripts

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
hmmm i'll just keep reading things i enjoy, op. thanks though

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

You aren't making a clear distinction between, the on one hand rather capable argument that the author is a huge nerd and loser and on the other, that the idea she espouses is loving retarded.

like, look at huge issues we have just getting white women into the mainstream (so yea, not scifi&fantasy poo poo) and then realize that for all the poo poo they publish, they are the second most notable group after honkey men (in a country like mine where pretty much errybody white its really sad to look at the poo poo translated and its literally all white dudes, except if a lady wrote a crime novel or something)

ok so i guess the problem here is you live in a super white non-english speaking country where white women aren't really mainstream authors while here in america some of the most popular authors are/were women albeit white (danielle steel, jackie collins, your average harlequin romance novel author, not to mention people like jk rowling (british, but still really successful in america), stephanie meyer, and suzanne collins who wrote blockbuster book franchises that became blockbuster film franchises) and that's just the poo poo that gets sold at your average supermarket, and if you're going by black women, toni morrison and maya angelou are/were relatively mainstream authors here, not to mention plenty of black/hispanic authors who make a good living writing books for a primarily black/hispanic demographic

basically what i am saying is if you want a wider variety of successful voices of all races and genders then move the gently caress out of your lovely country

a retard fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 10, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

a retard posted:

ok so i guess the problem here is you live in a super white non-english speaking country where white women aren't really mainstream authors while here in america some of the most popular authors are/were women albeit white (danielle steel, jackie collins, your average harlequin romance novel author, not to mention people like jk rowling (british, but still really successful in america), stephanie meyer, and suzanne collins who wrote blockbuster book franchises that became blockbuster film franchises) and that's just the poo poo that gets sold at your average supermarket, and if you're going by black women, toni morrison and maya angelou are/were relatively mainstream authors here, not to mention plenty of black/hispanic authors who make a good living writing books for a primarily black/hispanic demographic

basically what i am saying is if you want a wider variety of successful voices of all races and genders then move the gently caress out of your lovely country
gently caress, take Suzanne Collins as an example. young adult dystopia gets popular as a genre, bang, suddenly a bunch of rejected scripts get in, some by women like Roth and others by other fuckers,idk

Publishers don't publish things they think won't be commercially viable, mostly, and when almost all of that is white dudes, with most of what the consumer hears about is white dudes, you can you grasp the point of a thing where you are supposed to not read the most common available supported thing

the problem isn't that white women aren't mainstream, because they aren't compared to the loving flood of honkey dude books, just looking at volume here. also lol plural of anecdote incarnate

I would say the only problem with her idea, was that it didn't exclude white women but then again if you did that you would be completely hosed in her chosen genre because its almost solely for pasty nerds, whatever they gender

Fluo
May 25, 2007

How about judging people on their actions, their character and their opinions

Rather than their race or gender

Fluo fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 10, 2016

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Deceitful Penguin would love to have Maggie Thatcher rule over him

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

well somebody better do a voight-kampf on gabriel g. marquez QUICK cause otherwise i might fail this class.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

the trump tutelage posted:

hmmm i'll just keep reading things i enjoy, op. thanks though

NO YOU WONT

Y0U WONT OPPRESS ME

READ WHAT I TELL YOU, FUCKBOI

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

gently caress, take Suzanne Collins as an example. young adult dystopia gets popular as a genre, bang, suddenly a bunch of rejected scripts get in, some by women like Roth and others by other fuckers,idk

Publishers don't publish things they think won't be commercially viable, mostly, and when almost all of that is white dudes, with most of what the consumer hears about is white dudes, you can you grasp the point of a thing where you are supposed to not read the most common available supported thing

the problem isn't that white women aren't mainstream, because they aren't compared to the loving flood of honkey dude books, just looking at volume here. also lol plural of anecdote incarnate

I would say the only problem with her idea, was that it didn't exclude white women but then again if you did that you would be completely hosed in her chosen genre because its almost solely for pasty nerds, whatever they gender

"plural of ancedote" says the guy who moves the goalposts. also you didn't answer what country you live in because if it's super white like you say i honestly don't think your average scandinavian or wherever the hell you're from would be that interested in reading something like the color purple not to mention not having a decent knowledge of the cultural and historical contexts to that book that we would have in america. it sounds more like a problem with your country where the vast majority of your country being whities means most of what gets published in your country is full of whities. demographics and all that

also the current new york times fiction bestseller list has nine women out of 19 authors on the list (nicholas sparks has two books on there) so your argument doesn't hold water and you shouldn't be judging voices in literature by the mainstream anyway

agree with you on publishers being dumbasses who couldn't recognize a good pitch if it got jammed up their rear end though

a retard fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 10, 2016

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I don't think graphic gay sex is gonna be in everything a gay writes lol

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

who's that he has an awesome beard

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Clown posted:

who's that he has an awesome beard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_R._Delany

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

quote:

Samuel Ray Delany, Jr. (/dəˈleɪni/; born April 1, 1942), Chip Delany to his friends,[2]

thank you for telling me how his friends refer to him, internet encyclopedia. i will store this information in my heart.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

ty

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

I liked Triton but had basically this reaction to Dhalgren

quote:

By contrast, fellow writers such as Philip K. Dick and Harlan Ellison hated the novel. When the book appeared, Ellison in the L. A. Times (Sunday, February 23, 1975, p. 64) wrote: "I must be honest. I gave up after 361 pages. I could not permit myself to be gulled or bored any further."

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Fluo posted:

How about judging people on their actions, their character and their opinions

Rather than their race or gender
how about actually reading some of the people that aren't of the single biggest group there, just for the hell of it

whoah what a hard thing

also lol with the timely references to relevant poo poo re britpol

a retard posted:

"plural of ancedote" says the guy who moves the goalposts. also you didn't answer what country you live in because if it's super white like you say i honestly don't think your average scandinavian or wherever the hell you're from would be that interested in reading something like the color purple not to mention not having a decent knowledge of the cultural and historical contexts to that book that we would have in america. it sounds more like a problem with your country where the vast majority of your country being whities means most of what gets published in your country is full of whities. demographics and all that

also the current new york times fiction bestseller list has nine women out of 19 authors on the list (nicholas sparks has two books on there) so your argument doesn't hold water and you shouldn't be judging voices in literature by the mainstream anyway

agree with you on publishers being dumbasses who couldn't recognize a good pitch if it got jammed up their rear end though
women are still not equal, lol. and drat if you think a problem in the anglosphere literature world (hint: britain has the same problem, only even further complicated by class issues)

the problem is that all these dudes always pick the white dudes, even when my country is 10% foreign (even if most of them are 'white') itīs about a change of thought and understanding how its way harder to this

gently caress, I mean part of it is just having to think at all about what you're reading, then usually finding out that shitloads of what your read is white dudes

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
also

quote:

"I read the NAMBLA [Bulletin] fairly regularly and I think it is one of the most intelligent discussions of sexuality I've ever found. I think before you start judging what NAMBLA is about, expose yourself to it and see what it is really about. What the issues they are really talking about, and deal with what's really there rather than this demonized notion of guys running about trying to screw little boys. I would have been so much happier as an adolescent if NAMBLA had been around when I was 9, 10, 11, 12, 13." — Samuel R. Delany, Queer Desires Forum, New York City, June 25, 1994.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

uh, did you expose yourself to it and see what it's really about? think you're jumping the gun w/ your dismissive quoting friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
it was a major point of discussion/mockery/trolling on internet forums back in the day (rip PoE) so yes

it bad

I'm Crap fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 10, 2016

• Locked thread