Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Febreeze posted:

Since now it's basically confirmed I'll ask again: Is Megatron a HoFer?

He didn't play quite long enough to end up at the top of receiving lists, he does have a few records to his name but the hall is severely backed up already. he had a few seasons being considered the best in the league but I'm really unsure if he has quite enough to get in. Certainly not first ballot.

Yes. Jerome Bettis made it in; the bar for the HoF is pretty low now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Bettis is the perfect example of longevity being unfairly overvalued over peak.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm not sure if Megatron is a Hall of Famer, but WR is the biggest logjam the HOF has right now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

Three. Andre, Calvin, and Chad.

Hm can't think of any good receivers named Chad Johnson

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Here's the list of WRs in the HoF

quote:

Modern Era: Wide Receivers (24)

Lance Alworth 1962-1972
Raymond Berry 1955-1967
Fred Biletnikoff 1965-1978
Tim Brown 1988-2004
Cris Carter 1987-2002
Tom Fears 1948-1956
Bob Hayes 1965-1975
Elroy (Crazylegs) Hirsch (also HB) 1946-1956
Michael Irvin 1988-1999
Charlie Joiner 1969-1986
Steve Largent 1976-1989
Dante Lavelli 1946-1956
James Lofton 1978-1993
Don Maynard 1958, 1960-1973
Tommy McDonald 1957-1968
Bobby Mitchell (also HB) 1958-1968
Art Monk 1980-1995
Pete Pihos 1947-1955
Andre Reed 1985-2000
Jerry Rice 1985-2000
John Stallworth 1974-1987
Lynn Swann 1974-1982
Charley Taylor (also HB) 1964-1975, 1977
Paul Warfield 1964-1977

There is only two people on there, Moss and Rice, who I can say most people would claim to be better than Calvin. The older guys are hard to compare. The game has changed so much that it's not really fair or possible to make an argument for or against them regarding their worthiness vs. Calvin. But of the newer guys (mid 80s and beyond), there's room for debate as to whether or not they are better than Johnson. What makes Andre Reed or Art Monk better than Calvin Johnson? Is it Art Monk's rings? His time with a high visibility franchise? That Reed suffered heartbreak 4 times? Does Carter's redemption story make him more worthy than Calvin who has always been on the straight and narrow? Maybe it's because Irvin was so flamboyant? Calvin isn't flamboyant at all. He's actually pretty dull. But in terms of pure ability, is it possible to say that any of those guys was without a doubt, beyond argument better than Calvin Johnson?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BigBoss posted:

There is only two people on there, Moss and Rice, who I can say most people would claim to be better than Calvin. The older guys are hard to compare. The game has changed so much that it's not really fair or possible to make an argument for or against them regarding their worthiness vs. Calvin. But of the newer guys (mid 80s and beyond), there's room for debate as to whether or not they are better than Johnson. What makes Andre Reed or Art Monk better than Calvin Johnson? Is it Art Monk's rings? His time with a high visibility franchise? That Reed suffered heartbreak 4 times? Does Carter's redemption story make him more worthy than Calvin who has always been on the straight and narrow? Maybe it's because Irvin was so flamboyant? Calvin isn't flamboyant at all. He's actually pretty dull. But in terms of pure ability, is it possible to say that any of those guys was without a doubt, beyond argument better than Calvin Johnson?

Calvin should go in my opinion, but Art Monk is a reason to vote for any bubble WR to make the HoF. The amazing thing is he's probably not the worst WR in the hall, Lynn Swann made it because of one catch.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Calvin Johnson is 1st ballot HoF and I can't even believe there's dissent

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I can only hope

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I for one cannot wait for the hot take brigade to say he shouldn't get in because of RINGZZZ

I think he will get in though

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Yeah, I can't really see an argument against him being in but I don't think he'll be on the ballot for a few years in case the hunger to return hits him

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Things working in Johnson's favor:
-The Receiving yards in a single season record
-6 pro bowls
-3 all pros
-his peak was pretty incredible
-a killer nickname everyone knows
- NFL record for consecutive 100 yard games
- tied with Irvin for most 100 yard games in a season
-Led the NFL in yards and TDs in two seasons each
-Fastest WR to 10k yards

Things working against him:
-WR logjam in the hall
-no rings, not even a playoff win (so he holds no playoff records)
-he's only #27 On the career receiving yards list
-#22 all time receiving Tds
-Stafford is known for throwing the ball way too much, would Calvin have done so well had Stafford not thrown like 40 passes every game?
-played on the worst team in the modern era
-no longevity

He's arguable but not first ballot, which means that either he'll get in 10 years from now or everyone will just sort of forget about him during the same time frame as other receivers put up crazy numbers in the modern game

Honestly retiring early could help him in a weird backwards "what he could have been had Detroit not crushed his soul" way

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 1, 2016

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Calvin Johnson is the only receiver I've ever seen triple-teamed at the line-of-scrimmage. It was a goal-to-go situation at, like, the 5. I'm pretty sure he still got the TD, but my memory is hazier on that.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

BigBoss posted:

Yes but out of the modern area guys Calvin has a MUCH shorter career length.
I think he deserves to be in the hall but I just don't see him making it for a while, if at all.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It's loving insane to think what he could have been on a good team.

Febreeze posted:

Honestly retiring early could help him in a weird backwards "what he could have been had Detroit not crushed his soul" way
Yeah a lot of his case is going to be due to narrative stuff.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It's loving insane to think what he could have been on a good team.

Exactly. Imagine him having spent those 9 years with a hall of fame caliber QB (Brady, Favre/Rodgers, Peyton, etc...)

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Eh, he got to have a very good quarterback throw him the ball the last number of years. Hell, even Orlovsky was able to huck the ball way downfield. The bigger problem was having one dimensional offenses

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
That's true. The Lions run game has been pretty poo poo.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I honestly hope he comes back because a couple more years of his current production puts him in the surefire category.

Just 1000 more yards and he's #21 all time. Another 2000 more and he's #14. If he catches 17 more Touchdowns, he's got 100 and he's tied for #10 all time.

Seriously if he plays just a couple more seasons he's a surefire, but right now he's on the cusp.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Flikken posted:

Yes but out of the modern area guys Calvin has a MUCH shorter career length.
I think he deserves to be in the hall but I just don't see him making it for a while, if at all.

I think we're going to start seeing shorter careers in the future for a variety of reasons. The awareness of health issues (I think dementia is going to be the next big cause akin to breast cancer as baby boomers get older), an increase in pay, and the slow erosion of the football player tough guy mentality, especially for guys who know they're safe on the roster, is going to make it less common to see guys having 15+ year careers. Why risk early onset dementia when you're a multimillionaire who's already regarded as an all time great?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I guess it also depends on how the Hall of Fame voters want to judge the new NFL passing offense where not putting up 300 yards a game means you're bad so stats across the board are going to be pretty inflated for QBs and WRs.

Calvin is a pretty unique football player though.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Fenrir posted:

That's true. The Lions run game has been pretty poo poo.

They were able to enjoy Greatest Show on Turf 2.0 type stuff for a couple games one year.

Then Jahvid Best got killed.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Eh, he got to have a very good quarterback throw him the ball the last number of years. Hell, even Orlovsky was able to huck the ball way downfield. The bigger problem was having one dimensional offenses

It's true that Stafford can sling it. But for a lot of his career the entire offense was Him + 1 other decent WR, then various qualities at OL, RB, TE, and QB. And the defense has almost always been poo poo iirc, so there wouldn't be manageable game states. It does lead to crazy situations where Stafford has to sling it 40 times a game, but I have to think having a balanced offense where he isn't double or triple covered would have been a net overall improvement in his production.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Put him in the hall.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
imagine just one year where there was some other credible threat on the field that drew double coverage or a running game that required another man in the box for

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
There was one above average season of Nate Burleson and one good season of Golden Tate, who was mostly only good because Calvin was hurt and he became the #1 target because who the gently caress else is going to get thrown the ball

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
The most reliable 2nd target the Lions have had over his career has been Brandon Pettigrew. I love Pettigrew but let that sink in.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

korrandark posted:

Put him in the hall.

I was at that game. (I'm pretty sure the lions lost too :lol: )

When Stafford threw it, I was like "what the gently caress dude, there are like 4 guys in the area?!?"

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

ozymandius1024 posted:

When Stafford threw it, I was like "what the gently caress dude, there are like 4 guys in the area?!?"

Sam Martin shanked a punt with like a minute left when the game was tied and the Bengals nailed a field goal

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

He closed out his record-breaking season with Brian Robiskie, Kris Durham and Mike Thomas as the other wideouts. Everybody knew exactly what the Lions were going to do, but they couldn't stop him.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cruel and Unusual posted:

He closed out his record-breaking season with Brian Robiskie, Kris Durham and Mike Thomas as the other wideouts. Everybody knew exactly what the Lions were going to do, but they couldn't stop him.

The guy just can't loving be covered when he's healthy.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Calvin should go in my opinion, but Art Monk is a reason to vote for any bubble WR to make the HoF. The amazing thing is he's probably not the worst WR in the hall, Lynn Swann made it because of one catch.

But did you see that catch?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

But did you see that catch?

It was pretty awesome, I have to admit.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Fenrir posted:

The guy just can't loving be covered when he's healthy.

Once again, looking at the list of WRs that are in or waiting, who else aside from Rice or Moss was the force Calvin was? I think if he played for an NFC East team that was on national TV 5 or 6 times a year Calvin Johnson would be way more famous and well regarded. ODB is a great player, but you can't deny being on the NYG has made him more famous.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Grittybeard posted:

Went to look up Lynn Swann's career on Wiki. This was the one thing I took away from it:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
remember he was also able to catch poo poo thrown by Reggie Ball

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

BigBoss posted:

Once again, looking at the list of WRs that are in or waiting, who else aside from Rice or Moss was the force Calvin was? I think if he played for an NFC East team that was on national TV 5 or 6 times a year Calvin Johnson would be way more famous and well regarded. ODB is a great player, but you can't deny being on the NYG has made him more famous.

Don't get me wrong, I agree completely. I've been saying for most of his career that Megatron was sorely overlooked. Maybe he isn't here on TFF but in the public eye, certainly.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

Lynn Swann made it because of one catch and 4 rings. Calvin is a better receiver by far but that lack of any sort of playoff success is going to really hurt his chances

Fenrir posted:

Don't get me wrong, I agree completely. I've been saying for most of his career that Megatron was sorely overlooked. Maybe he isn't here on TFF but in the public eye, certainly.

That I honestly don't know about. Early in his career especially, but once he got the nickname it seemed like everyone knew who Megatron was. He also has a highly controversial rule named after him. That does bring recognition.

He may not have gotten quite the attention he deserved but he didn't seem to want that attention and he was still pretty well known. Even my more casual football fan friends know who megatron is. The year he set the record loving everyone knew because nobody could go a week without talking about it because he got off to such a great start. I think it was Cris Carter who had to publicly eat crow after dissing him in the pre-season.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 1, 2016

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Has anyone posted the gif of a million undersized Saints DBs covering him yet?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Febreeze posted:

That I honestly don't know about. Early in his career especially, but once he got the nickname it seemed like everyone knew who Megatron was. He also has a highly controversial rule named after him. That does bring recognition.

He may not have gotten quite the attention he deserved but he didn't seem to want that attention and he was still pretty well known. Even my more casual football fan friends know who megatron is. The year he set the record loving everyone knew because nobody could go a week without talking about it because he got off to such a great start. I think it was Cris Carter who had to publicly eat crow after dissing him in the pre-season.

That is true - especially about him avoiding the spotlight. He's never been an "in your face" kind of player like TO or Ochocinco, etc.

Also, gently caress Cris Carter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Other than TO, or maybe Chad Johnson, Calvin is the most zeitgeisty WR of his era. Even though he played in Detroit he did not want for fame. How many Acura spots did Marvin Harrison appear in?

• Locked thread