Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

WHOOPS posted:

No, see, I'm admiring how bad of a statement that is. It's super disingenuous to frame up their Pro Bowl/All Pro selections like that because Calvin Johnson is retiring ahead of any potential serious decline while Moss played well into his. (also Randy took a year off and only played 14 seasons, so your bad use of math is also inaccurate).

That's my point. It is a bad statement, and so is cherry picking comparison stat lines that favor longevity pretty much over everything when comparing two players who didn't play nearly the same amount of time (not that CJJ has retired, mind you), and also ignore the quality differences in the team overall.

Also the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest, so I don't know why it would be considered as a hall of fame category at all. Teams (and players) with more exposure will generally have more players in the pro bowl. Allen Robinson was Calvin Johnson's replacement in the pro bowl this year, despite Allen Robinson having an objectively better season.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

WHOOPS posted:

Calvin Johnson is retiring ahead of any potential serious decline

I did feel that this season was the start of his decline, but I have no hard evidence to back that up since his poor stats at the start of the season could also be due to the dread Lombardi.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

howe_sam posted:

I did feel that this season was the start of his decline, but I have no hard evidence to back that up since his poor stats at the start of the season could also be due to the dread Lombardi.

It was due to Lombardi who thought using a man who can't be covered as a decoy instead of as the focal point of the offense was a great gameplan.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

howe_sam posted:

He still wasn't his usual self once Cooter took the reigns. He only had 100+ yard receiving games against the Bears this year, that's not a good sign when that team can't even assemble a front 7 for week 17.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Scipiotik posted:

It was due to Lombardi who thought using a man who can't be covered as a decoy instead of as the focal point of the offense was a great gameplan.

THIS IS A REAL THING EVERYBODY

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Scipiotik posted:

That motherfucker still causes my blood pressure to spike.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Knyteguy posted:

That's my point. It is a bad statement, and so is cherry picking comparison stat lines that favor longevity pretty much over everything when comparing two players who didn't play nearly the same amount of time (not that CJJ has retired, mind you), and also ignore the quality differences in the team overall.

Also the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest, so I don't know why it would be considered as a hall of fame category at all. Teams (and players) with more exposure will generally have more players in the pro bowl. Allen Robinson was Calvin Johnson's replacement in the pro bowl this year, despite Allen Robinson having an objectively better season.

I agree the Pro Bowl shouldn't be highly valued, but it does get overvalued by the hall the same way Rings do and several other narrative aspects. I've not really been arguing from my own perspective itt so far, I'm trying to argue from the Hall's POV. Honestly, if you go by only numbers and stats (Like many posters argue we should because stats are overvauled here), Megatron has good numbers, and maybe enough to get in. If we go purely by numbers and stats and stuff, Moss blows him away. But if we go by narratives, Moss still blows him away. There is no comparison, Moss was just better. It's not a knock on Calvin, Moss really was that good. But let's forget about Moss for a second.

If we want to throw the stats argument out for a bit, I'm not sure Johnson has the narrative part solidified either. His reign as king WR didn't last real long and he hasn't seemed to leave the same level of impact other players without longevity have. Gale Sayers is the poster boy for this type of guy. The less you play, the less numbers you have to your argument, so what you did during your shorter time becomes more important. Calvin did some great stuff, but I don't know if he quite blew up the league and perceptions the way Moss did, or the way Sanders did, or Sayers, or even how Watt is currently doing. If he retires the next 5 years will be incredibly important. It's likely his mystique and legend grows in that time, which helps him. It's also very possible that the new passing rules render his numbers less impressive and his mystique legend actually diminishes.

From a personal standpoint I think he'd be a fine inclusion, but he is not nearly transcendent enough to be a first ballot choice.

Also I like all the people who argue against Moss not making it because of personality reasons making guys hate him. LT was a godawful person talked about in the same way and he soared into the hall first ballot. I think you have to legitimately rape multiple women across several states before your personal legacy really harms you from a voter perspective.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 2, 2016

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

He doesn't have the longevity, but his good numbers are very, very, very good. Only Jerry Rice and Torry Holt had more yards in their first nine seasons, and Calvin really only got Stafford in his fifth year. Only Lance Alworth had more yards per game in his first nine years.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Febreeze posted:

I agree the Pro Bowl shouldn't be highly valued, but it does get overvalued by the hall the same way Rings do

Try arguing with a Pittsburgh fan about this, jesus. A friend of mine is convinced that Big Ben is better than Peyton because of RINGZ.

And that he also never raped anyone.

E: Anyway, there's my derail of the week.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Cruel and Unusual posted:

He doesn't have the longevity, but his good numbers are very, very, very good. Only Jerry Rice and Torry Holt had more yards in their first nine seasons, and Calvin really only got Stafford in his fifth year. Only Lance Alworth had more yards per game in his first nine years.

Yeah, Stafford actually producing happened relatively late in the Megatron career.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Febreeze posted:

Also I like all the people who argue against Moss not making it because of personality reasons making guys hate him. LT was a godawful person talked about in the same way and he soared into the hall first ballot. I think you have to legitimately rape multiple women across several states before your personal legacy really harms you from a voter perspective.

It'll be real fun when Peterson comes up. I can't wait for that shitshow.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Moss should be a hall of famer based solely on that lateral.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OJ killed two people and that still wasn't enough for them to gouge his name out of the hall.

So there might be a limit to what you can get away with before you're in, but once you're in, you're untouchable.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

C. Everett Koop posted:

It'll be real fun when Peterson comes up. I can't wait for that shitshow.

Eh, some child whipping won't keep him out, especially if he plays for several more years to distance the incident even further from when they have to vote for him. Brett Favre sexually harassed a woman late in his career, does anyone think he's not getting in this year?

Darren Sharper literally raped multiple women Bill Cosby style and Peter King (A voter) legitimately started bringing his name up for HoF induction anyway. The voters don't care about the person enough.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 3, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah, Stafford actually producing happened relatively late in the Megatron career.

Kitna had a not terrible season Johnson's first year, then there was three seasons of poo poo as Stafford figured things out/got healthy.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
LIons had no playoff success but Calvin was good in the playoffs.

2gp, 17 catches, 296yds and 2TDs.

He didn't shrink in the playoffs which is something held against Sanders at times.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Febreeze posted:

Eh, some child whipping won't keep him out, especially if he plays for several more years to distance the incident even further from when they have to vote for him. Brett Favre sexually harassed a woman late in his career, does anyone think he's not getting in this year?

Darren Sharper literally raped multiple women Bill Cosby style and Peter King (A voter) legitimately started bringing his name up for HoF induction anyway. The voters don't care about the person enough.

AP is a slam dunk and other than tarnishing his legacy and endorsement opportunities it won't effect him going in at all. Sharper was somewhat borderline to begin with and will never get voted in now, it would be more interesting if he had a career like Woodson, Reed or Palomalu where there would be no question about his on the field performance being good enough.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Febreeze posted:

The voters don't care about the person enough.

Nor should they

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Peterson already had people talking about him "overcoming" whipping his child this year. By the time he is eligible for the Hall, it will wind up being a footnote for why he missed a year in his career recap.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

WHOOPS posted:

Peterson already had people talking about him "overcoming" whipping his child this year. By the time he is eligible for the Hall, it will wind up being a footnote for why he missed a year in his career recap.

Yeah, if you think this child abuse stuff won't be complete water under the bridge for most football people (very sadly) then you missed every game he played in this year were the announcers couldn't fall over themselves enough to praise him for "overcoming" all his "trials and tribulations" of the last years. One of which was beating the poo poo out of a child. They act like it was some hardship to overcome, not something terrible he himself did.

It leaves a real bad taste in my mouth as a Vikings fan and I wish he was gone, but most football people don't seem to give a poo poo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

WHOOPS posted:

I can't believe that Peterson is probably going to end up having a longer career than Calvin. I would not have predicted that when they were drafted.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
as it's called the Hall of Fame, I feel like Pro Bowls are a perfectly valid metric to judge potential candidates by, since it's a direct measure of a player's "fame"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
We need a Hall of Played Good Football for every guy that owned on a terrible team but never got noticed because they weren't as bad as the Lions.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
The old wingbag voters always like to go on and on about players that changed the game and that narrative helps Johnson quite a bit. Moss will get in because he's the prototype speed receiver who can go as deep as you want. Johnson will get in for having the best jump ball game of all time.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Moss had the best jump ball game of all time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

howe_sam posted:

I sat down and figured it out, Randy minus two seasons of Oak, plus two seasons of NE worked out to 741 rec, 11,643 yds and 124 TD. So marginally better than Calvin's stat line with the exception of touchdowns where he has an astonishing lead. If you do a straight comparison of both after nine seasons, Calvin's number are slightly better, except again for touchdowns where Moss still has a commanding lead (101 to 83). Randy Moss was really good at catching touchdown passes.

So if we assume that Calvin keeps up with the level of production he had in his younger, healthier years while coming off a couple seasons in which he was constantly playing injured or missing games, he's almost as good as Moss

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

NC-17 posted:

Moss had the best jump ball game of all time.

Unless it was over the middle.

Johnson has the size. Moss relied more on his speed. Johnson was the living embodiment of the jump ball anywhere on the field.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

indigi posted:

as it's called the Hall of Fame, I feel like Pro Bowls are a perfectly valid metric to judge potential candidates by, since it's a direct measure of a player's "fame"

Can't wait for Aaron Hernandez's ceremony.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

go3 posted:

lol there is no universe in which Moss is better than Johnson

:lol:

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Calvin Johnson is a hall of famer, but Randy Moss is a loving legend. Jerry Rice and white people with sticks up their asses are the only things between Randy Moss and GOAT status

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

go3 posted:

lol there is no universe in which Moss is better than Johnson

Wow how did I miss a post this wrong

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Does anyone disagree that Larry Fitzgerald is a Hall of Famer

I will fight you

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Calvin Johnson deserves to be in the Hall of Fame as an apology for the NFL inventing like 3 separate rules designed to take a touchdown away from him

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

bigmcgaffney posted:

Does anyone disagree that Larry Fitzgerald is a Hall of Famer

I will fight you

Fitzgerald is absolutely going to end up in the Hall.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Calvin ran better routes, had better hands, was better at catching in traffic, was a better blocker, and had 0 character concerns. Calvin is taller, heavier, and has a much higher vertical.

Moss was slightly faster and has a dope accent.

Moss produced better counting stats, but his situation was worlds better. In a vacuum, Megatron is the superior WR.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Moss didn't have any character issues.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CharlestheHammer posted:

There was the time he ran over/ran down/gave a lift to a traffic cop on the hood of his car.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

CharlestheHammer posted:

He admitted to smoking marijuana!!! What more do you want??!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'm not sure if this thread is aware that there's Hall spots available to both men or not. They don't have to fight to the death to be eulogized by Berman you know.

• Locked thread