Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Jonathan Ogden is the biggest football player I've ever seen in person, and I've seen both Jared Gaither and King Dunlap in person. That dude is a loving giant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Ross Angeles posted:

Jonathan Ogden is the biggest football player I've ever seen in person, and I've seen both Jared Gaither and King Dunlap in person. That dude is a loving giant.

Ogden was loving incredible, and watching him loving pancake elite pass rushers for 10+ years was an amazing thing.

Wasn't he also one of the biggest players the NFL ever had? I mean, dude was almost 7 feet tall (6'9 I wanna say? and probably about 350 pounds?) There used to be a joke about them not making uniforms or helmets big enough for him.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 7, 2016

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
According to wiki, Ogden was 6'9 and 345 pounds.

For reference, King Dunlap is 6'9 and 330, and Jared Gaither was 6'9 and 340

edit: and Anthony Munoz was a meager 6'6, 275

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Well, when Munoz played, the pass rushers were not as big either.

e: VVV Well, to be fair, Otto was considered undersized even in the 60s. Now he'd be smaller than most QBs.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 7, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Jim Otto was 6'2" 255 lol. He'd barely be a linebacker in todays NFL.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought, at one time, Fred Taylor would've make it, but Fragile Fred and all that.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Jones was the best LT ever.

http://mynorthwest.com/384/2400858/No-weights-needed-Walter-Jones-workout-was-pushing-trucks

The Article posted:

The former Seahawks left tackle spent his entire 13-year career in Seattle, during which he played in seven Pro Bowls, was named an All-Pro five times and helped the Seahawks reach their only Super Bowl in 2005.

"We didn't have a lot of weight equipment, so I would push trucks around," Jones said. "That's what we was taught when I was in high school. ... You put the car in neutral, probably about a 10-percent slope.

Solomon Wilcots posted:

In his prime, Walter Jones was simply the best player in the national football league.

Bertrand Berry posted:

When you say Walter Jones, I think of the best tackle I have played against in my career.

Robbie Tobeck posted:

The man laughs at pain.

Mike Holmgren posted:

Perhaps the strongest words about Jones were said by Mike Holmgren a while ago. He said Jones was the best offensive player he ever coached — better than Joe Montana and Brett Favre.

:siren: :siren:

quote:

Starting in each of his 180 games in Seattle, the Seahawks attempted more than 5,500 passes with Jones on the field, while Jones gave up a total of only 23 quarterback sacks, and was penalized for holding just nine times.
I also want to point out that 4 of these sacks came in his last season where he was playing with two injured shoulders, and injured knee, and a kidney injury, going against DeMarcus Ware in his prime. There was also this dope quote he gave that was something to the effect of "yeah, and most of those sacks weren't my fault". :siren: :siren:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Abyssinia-Walter?urn=nfl,237639

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/17798/an-appreciation-for-the-great-walter-jones

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/29/walter-jones-gets-his-due/

There's also an ESPN article where Trent Dilfer does hearsay that Ogden admitted Jones was better, but I can't find it and also it's hearsay.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I mean I guess if your argument is that Munoz is the best ever because he was so much better than his contemporary LT's, then yeah he's the best. But that's because he didn't play during the time of other great LT's whereas Jones and Pace were literally from the same class and overlapped with other great LT's.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

can someone help me figure out who the best long snapper of all time is so i can finally get some rest

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cavauro posted:

can someone help me figure out who the best long snapper of all time is so i can finally get some rest

The mark of a good long snapper is just not getting cut by not loving up. So it's Patrick Mannelly.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Left Tackle chat: Tony Boselli really gets overlooked due to longevity. Thank you dipshit doctor who hosed his shoulder up.

7 seasons. 91 games played. 15.5 sacks given up. 5x Pro Bowler. 3x 1st Team All-Pro. 1990s NFL All-Decade Team.

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 7, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I mean I guess if your argument is that Munoz is the best ever because he was so much better than his contemporary LT's, then yeah he's the best. But that's because he didn't play during the time of other great LT's whereas Jones and Pace were literally from the same class and overlapped with other great LT's.

Nobody was allowed to be great because Munoz was so much better than anyone else. Even so, guys like Gary Zimmerman, Jackie Slater, and Bruce Matthews made the Hall from his time period.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 7, 2016

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cactus Jack posted:

Left Tackle chat: Tony Boselli really gets overlooked due to longevity. Thank you dipshit doctor who hosed his shoulder up.

7 seasons. 91 games played. 15.5 sacks given up. 5x Pro Bowler. 3x 1st Team All-Pro. 1990s NFL All-Decade Team.

Probably the only Jag player with any case at all for HoF. Longevity will keep him out, though. Boselli burgers were top tier McDonald's.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
So weird for me to see Kevin Greene in there. I remember him as "that guy who got popular because he was white and got some sacks because the other team was trying to stop generational talent Greg Lloyd and didn't he go to Carolina and literally choke an assistant coach during a game or something?" I didn't follow him closely after he left the Steelers, so maybe he blew up. But nothing about his tenure with the team made me think "hall of famer." Certainly not compared to Faneca.

Note that the above is based on a 20-tear-old eye test and therefore worthless for anything beyond bullshitting about in a bar or on the Internet. Much like everything related to the HoF.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 7, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

whiteyfats posted:

I thought, at one time, Fred Taylor would've make it, but Fragile Fred and all that.

Fred headlines the HOVG running backs with Ricky Watters.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Fred headlines the HOVG running backs with Ricky Watters.

He was awesome in his prime. I think he would have been better known if he had played for a team in a larger market.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Getting into the hall is having less and less meaning. Last year we had to deal with Jerome Bettis getting in. Now they let Tony "somehow only managed to win one ring with Peyton Manning" Dungy into the hall.

Really think the case for Kerry Collins is there. Look at his career numbers!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrLogan posted:

Getting into the hall is having less and less meaning. Last year we had to deal with Jerome Bettis getting in. Now they let Tony "somehow only managed to win one ring with Peyton Manning" Dungy into the hall.

Hall of Very Good is still pretty cool.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

MrLogan posted:

People have been saying things like that for as long as I have been paying attention. It usually hinges on some sour grapes

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There's also an ESPN article where Trent Dilfer does hearsay that Ogden admitted Jones was better, but I can't find it and also it's hearsay.

Dilfer is full of poo poo and Ogden never had anyone worth protecting at QB so I feel like pure sacks given up is an unfair indicator. Jones was very good but best all time is a 1A/1B situation with Ogden and Munoz.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The Little Kielbasa posted:

So weird for me to see Kevin Greene in there. I remember him as "that guy who got popular because he was white and got some sacks because the other team was trying to stop generational talent Greg Lloyd and didn't he go to Carolina and literally choke an assistant coach during a game or something?" I didn't follow him closely after he left the Steelers, so maybe he blew up. But nothing about his tenure with the team made me think "hall of famer." Certainly not compared to Faneca.

Note that the above is based on a 20-tear-old eye test and therefore worthless for anything beyond bullshitting about in a bar or on the Internet. Much like everything related to the HoF.

Double digit sacks in ten seasons, third all time in sacks with 160 (Behind the insane numbers of Reggie White & Bruce Smith), more than a bunch of guys who went in in recent years (Strahan & Doleman both are ten+ back). Was also really good with the Rams (Back to back 16.5 sack seasons, then a 13 sack year) before going to Pittsburgh and stayed good after with the Panthers. One little story about him I remember is he didn't get as many Pro Bowl or All Pro votes as you'd imagine for his (Sometimes better) numbers because he was in the NFC during the peak years of Lawrence Taylor. He really should have gone in a few years ago.

Also, Dungy is grossly overrated and Don Coryell should have been in a loving decade ago.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Dilfer is full of poo poo and Ogden never had anyone worth protecting at QB so I feel like pure sacks given up is an unfair indicator. Jones was very good but best all time is a 1A/1B situation with Ogden and Munoz.

They literally blocked for the same QB, Dilfer. Walt also got to block for noted superstars Rick Mirer, and Jon Kitna. And even the solidly good Matt Hasselbeck wasn't exactly what you would call a mobile QB.

You don't get to hand wave away Jones crazy stats that easily. I don't think you appreciate how bonkers 23 quarterback sacks and nine holding penalties truly is.

There's an argument for Munoz, but there isn't an argument for Ogden. Walter Jones was the best.

Also just because; Ogden ran a 5.1 40, Jones ran a 4.7 40.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Even if Ogden said Jones was better it wouldn't mean much, could just be him being humble or what have you. I'm not qualified enough to say who was actually better.

Ogden was great though. I just wish he had been on some better overall lines. It was always Jon Ogden and four jokers. Mulitalo was a very good run blocker though(just don't ask about his pass blocking) and that left side did wonders for Jamal Lewis and whoever else was going that way. Also Jeff Mitchell, our center in 2000, was alright. But he left and was replaced by Mike Flynn, our former RG. What a horrible player. And then Flynn at RG was replaced by Kipp Vickers, possibly the worst offensive lineman there has ever been. At least that I've watched.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 7, 2016

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I saw a lot of Pace, and some Ogden, but I admit I haven't seen a lot of Munoz (for obvious reasons). I've been trying to find video and this is ok but doesn't really show a lot of him playing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It obviously has no bearing on his NFL career but Orlando Pace being a Heisman finalist is insane.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

You don't get to hand wave away Jones crazy stats that easily. I don't think you appreciate how bonkers 23 quarterback sacks and nine holding penalties truly is.
t.

Where are you getting that stat line?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Cavauro posted:

idk, whoever played for the team I root for?

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

fartknocker posted:

Double digit sacks in ten seasons, third all time in sacks with 160 (Behind the insane numbers of Reggie White & Bruce Smith), more than a bunch of guys who went in in recent years (Strahan & Doleman both are ten+ back). Was also really good with the Rams (Back to back 16.5 sack seasons, then a 13 sack year) before going to Pittsburgh and stayed good after with the Panthers. One little story about him I remember is he didn't get as many Pro Bowl or All Pro votes as you'd imagine for his (Sometimes better) numbers because he was in the NFC during the peak years of Lawrence Taylor. He really should have gone in a few years ago.

Also, Dungy is grossly overrated and Don Coryell should have been in a loving decade ago.

Thanks for the post, makes sense to me now. I think I was unfairly comparing him to Lloyd when they played together, and Lloyd was an unholy freak of nature for those few years.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Clearly Kevin Greene's WCW credentials gave him the bump.

He was way better than Mongo :colbert:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Coldforge posted:

The salary cap didn't exist until 1994, so for the most part no. There was a lot of turmoil in the NFL when it came into effect, and yes the 49ers definitely had issues for a few years while they adjusted, but it wasn't a result of anything Eddie D did.

The only issue he caused was a blackmail/gambling scandal when he tried to buy a river boat in New Orleans (he got involved in a pay off of local politicians, because NOLA). He was forced to hand control of the team over to his sister, which hasn't worked out well for anyone. Basically gently caress Tagliabue.

It got Edwin Edwards thrown in prison, so I'm pretty happy with that outcome.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Pace was a better player than Warner or Faulk. Warner is maybe a top 10 QB of all time, and Faulk is maybe a top 10 RB of all time. Pace is basically top 3 LT's of all time.

You would have to bend over backwards to not have Faulk in your top ten RBs ever, so we can safely dispose of that "maybe." He's closer to #1 than he is #10. He does rank #10 - in all-time rushing yards. More to the point, he's #4 in yards from scrimmage, behind only Rice, Smith and Payton, and #7 in touchdowns. He's the best pass-catching back ever (and frankly blows away the competition here, as the great or near-great runners closest to him on this list are Marcus Allen, about 1,500 yards behind, and Tiki Barber, around 1,700 behind). He's one of the best blocking backs ever, and was virtually always the smartest player on the field when he stepped onto it. He should've won Warner's second MVP in 2001. You could make a reasonable argument that Faulk from 1998 to 2001 was the most valuable offensive player ever: 5,441 rushing yards (90.7 per game) and 3,551 (!) receiving yards (59.2 per game), 5 yards per carry, 10.5 per catch, 69 touchdowns in 60 games. Dude broke the touchdown record in 2000 despite missing two games, and basically carried the Rams into the playoffs in the home stretch by running for 434 yards, catching another 137 and scoring 11 touchdowns in the final 3 games.

I like Marshall Faulk.

Anyway, that aside, we were agreeing, because I was saying, outside of those four player-seasons, the next bunch on those Rams teams likely all belong to Pace.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Henchman of Santa posted:

It obviously has no bearing on his NFL career but Orlando Pace being a Heisman finalist is insane.

That, popularizing the term "pancake," and running down Champ Bailey on an interception return are the coolest Orlando Pace accomplishments.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Cavauro posted:

James Harrison was (and might still be) the back up long snapper and actually filled in several times for that role, so I think its him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

James Harrison was (and might still be) the back up long snapper and actually filled in several times for that role, so I think its him.

Jared Allen easily. Unless we're comparing their actual long snapping skills in which case I'll just say Jared Allen easily again without knowing anything about it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Jared Allen isn't even the best long snapper in Chiefs history, that's Bobby Bell.

Also, the DeOssie's are the best long snapping family.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Cavauro posted:

Chuck Bednarik handled long snapping for the Eagles.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Jon Condo was a two time pro bowler as a pure long snapper. :shrug:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Long snapper seems like a position somebody really great at it could do until they were 45.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

whiteyfats posted:

Long snapper seems like a position somebody really great at it could do until they were 45.

That's why I suggested Patrick Mannelly. He apparently has done it the longest. Dude played LS for the Bears for 16 years.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

That's why I suggested Patrick Mannelly. He apparently has done it the longest. Dude played LS for the Bears for 16 years.

Jesus. While long snappers don't make big money, even the league minimum for that long could maybe set you for life, plus without his body falling apart.

• Locked thread